Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So the teaser doesn't reveal that tlj was all a dream so chuds are already angry but it also retcons and undoes a lot of tlj and doesn't have rose in it so tlj people are mad,what opinion of the movie should am I supposed to have to be on the right side of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

QuarkJets posted:

yeah aint nothin more fun than going to the senate floor to talk about trade regulations and electing a new chancellor

kids love watching an old man in a robe haggle with a flying jewish stereotype, how fun!

Counterexample are the die hard prequel fans who must defend them from all criticism and now claim that everyone loved the prequels until rlm changed people's minds single handedly.

We have yet to see how kids who are watching the st right now will turn out, if they'll even remember the movies. I suspect not. The tv tropes page writing of tlj only really appeals to adults who never really liked star wars that much and thought something "different" was interesting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I just warred in my stars.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Vim Fuego posted:

From the moment she appeared in the film I felt a really deep love for Holdo, mainly because it was awesome to see a femme woman being put into a position of authority after General Leia.

When Poe sees Holdo, he has doubts about her abilities and her intellect, and for me, from the beginning, I felt like Rian Johnson was making a very powerful point about the way we view female leadership. I know a lot of people are like: “Why didn’t she just tell Poe or anyone else the plan?”

Well, the answer is simple: the Rebels, bless their hearts, are bad at sticking to plans and understanding the long game. We see at the VERY beginning of the movie that Poe disobeys and turns off his headset during an attack that Leia explicitly told him not to engage in, that left them with less fighting power and caused many deaths.

It takes very little for everyone to abandon faith in Holdo for remaining calm and sticking with her guns by keeping her plan close to the vest. The reason why is clear—if she had told them that she planned to die on the ship, they would have tried to stop her. Poe would absolutely have tried to stop her because he’s an impulsive person who believes he knows best. That was made evident at the beginning.

The First Order rules through fear and intimidation even though its leaders are loud and incompetent man babies—see Hux’s petty snarls and Kyle Ren’s tears of nepotism angst. Holdo attempts to rule through faith and self-sacrifice rather than aggressive tactics and being totally open. That makes people distrust her because again, despite her reputation, they trust Poe more. Poe who, again, got their comrades killed in an attack that destroyed a warship yes, but also left them unable to defend themselves in other ways. If Luke and Rey hadn’t shown up they would have died.

Holdo was not a perfect character because, in addition to being a character, she was also representing the distrust we have for female authority. When men or coaches talk about having faith and “trusting them” even when something seems out of reach, we have been taught to trust them because their experience matters.

The fact that Leia trusted Holdo didn’t matter to the rebels and that is disappointing and it is the actions of Poe that lead to … more death. So while everyone asks: “Why Holdo didn’t do this?” Why don’t we ask how Poe made it this far up in the military if he has such a hard time listening and taking orders from his superior officers? Poe was wrong and yet somehow Holdo is the one who needed to change tactics?

But beyond all of these things, I enjoy Holdo because she, like Rose, gives women another way to be strong. With her long lavender robe and bright hair, polished nails and jewelry, Holdo show that there are different ways to be a powerful warrior woman. That being so true to yourself and your own style doesn’t make you inferior, the right to be an individual is what the rebels are fighting for. Also if you underestimate her … that’s to your own downfall.

I would say that if you want to learn more about Holdo, read the Leia, Princess of Alderaan book because it introduces a young Holdo and her first words are: “I hope it’s dangerous. I want to get more comfortable with the nearness and inevitability of death.”

yes holdo is pretty much a representation of the 2016 democratic presidential campaign

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Luke was Bernie Sanders except his portrayal in the movie is from the point of view of Holdo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I just genuinely feel bad about Mark.
Just... like... google the things he's said about TLJ, or his current pinned tweet.
People go on about toxic masculinity and all that, but Luke Skywalker was an example of an actual nontoxic male hero you could point at that people actually loved. I think chuds would actually have lost their poo poo if he had been in character, it's not like right wingers didn't used to treat Luke like Steven Universe half the time with how many of them called Luke "unmanly" or "whiny" because he wasn't a power fantasy. Mark's been proud of that role for decades, he was the face of the franchise, and somehow no one in the production of TLJ besides Mark said that this was a lovely idea.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Bogus Adventure posted:

I believe the worst parts of TLJ is that it exists, and that there are people who will argue to the death that it is the best Star Wars movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXCLJp541Pw

Even the more well-argued videos defending tlj - or at least the one or two I've seen - seem to like it on the message of basically unironically killing the past. that a new ideology is needed and that tearing down the old romanticism of star wars by constantly showing characters failing quests and anticlimaxing storylines can we build something new, tying it to burning the jedi temple down in order to rebuild.

Which to me is loving insane. Even if tlj had managed to actually build, something, ANYTHING, ideologies do not come from burning down libraries and then reinventing the wheel yourself, which seems to be what the defenders want. They come from examining exactly what past ideologies accomplished, going against what went wrong, using what worked. Half the reason we're in the poo poo we're in right now is because of the lessons of the very recent past being forgotten and history repeating itself only stupider.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I thought I outlined that there were other points where that philosophy was pushed beyond Kylo (and to be honest, if Kylo's statement is complete bullshit not supported by anything else in the movie, then there is no temptation there.)

Again, throughout the movie characters keep trying to do the "romantic" thing of trusting the scoundrel with a heart of gold or whatever and failing, and the idea is that there needs to be something """new""".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLYUc5t6wag

Here's an example of a review that says TLJ did not go far ENOUGH, and that the biggest problem is that they went back on the theme of killing the past.

Chomp8645 posted:

When Kylo Ren said to "let the past die, kill it if you have to" he was actually speaking directly to millennials, advising that they rise up and purge the boomers.

imo on that basis it's an A+ film

kill the boomers would have been a fine message
but I kind of get the reading "burn down libraries" instead

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 30, 2019

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's pretty nice how the entire internet has decided that got season 8 is terrible. Yknow, remembering that making fun of a fictional program is something allowed to do that doesn't determine your entire being, unlike some sacred brands where trying to mention how lovely it's gotten gets you called things like "so mean-spirited" or "cryptofash" or "your a Russian agent, I'm calling the FBI!"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The rumor I've been hearing is: Rey is Han's daughter, Han slept around while still married to Leia right around the time Kylo was going to be sent off to Luke, and Kylo knew about the affair and that's why he got so mad at his parents.

It's not from a reliable source and this guy from the story group denies it

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/1133573219695308800

But I think it makes a lot of sense, fits with all the other poo poo that's been in these movies, and I think it manages to piss everyone still watching off at once. I'm hoping something like this is true.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Basically see tlj as "rich white male feminist ally: the movie".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
why is it so hard to star a war right