Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“Skywalker” is going to become a title for a knight of the force and replace “Jedi”. Book it

Alternatively, the Skywalker who rises is Luuke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Alternative alternative: The Rise of Bigger Luke

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

also this is absolutely the wreck of the death star which means the Emperor probably survived the end of ROTJ and is the real face behind the power, which is dumb as gently caress

Oh come on. “Dead evil wizard secretly not dead after all” what a shock, truly appalling stuff. My only complaint about McDiarmid coming back is that they wasted two movies that could have had him in them on some skinnyfat gently caress fail villain voiced by Gollum

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

I really don't feel like there has been a cohesive arc in the first two, but maybe everything will make sense when this comes out.

The story is secondary to cool visuals and fan service. OMG REY IS PALPATINES GRANDDAUGHTER!

The dialectic thought explicit in the text of Lucas Wars is instead implicit in the structure of Disney Wars. TFA’s thesis and TLJ’s antithesis lead to TROS’s synthesis

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

I hope palpatine is puttering around underwater. That'd make sense.

He’s searching for...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The war is just beginning

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You can give the early drafts of Star Wars poo poo for being turgid and full of dumb names, but I think you can give actual Star Wars most of the same poo poo. What’s worse, an emperor named Sheev Palpatine or an emperor named Cos Dashit?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

1-6 are a complete thematic arc and any addition to it was always going to have problems, which is why Lucas conspicuously didn’t follow it up. We’ve already done tyranny becomes freedom, we’ve already done freedom becomes tyranny. 7-8 portray a constant, almost meaningless struggle between freedom and tyranny because they have no trajectory left to explore without getting redundant.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I never really read much of the Star Wars extended universe, but I heard (on this forum!) that, because it was all so vague and and amorphous, some of the authors would get into these retcon wars because they totally didn't like each other's books. One author had a giant Mandalorian fetish or something, and wrote about how awesome they were. And another one really hated everything about that, and would just flat out write books saying, no, what you read in that other book didn't really happen like that, here's what really went down. And they'd go back and forth like that.

lol that it's happening in the actual movies now.

lol pretty much

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Giant_Pupils posted:

drat, I had assumed the guy who played Palpatine in Jedi was dead but nope. He's 75 years old and may die on-set, but he's still kicking around.

Yeah how the gently caress did Carrie Fisher manage to die before Ian McDiarmid

its drugs but still

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

There are rumors that he was trained by a master who managed to cheat death...

Is it possible to learn this power?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the twist is vader kept on loving after padme died.

do you think obi wan cut his junk off

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cubone posted:

palpatine transferred his consciousness into Toby Jones

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Solo was the least fun I've ever had watching Star Wars tbh. The only guy who looks like he's having the slightest amount of fun is Glover.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The thing with Rey is that unlike Luke, where his backstory is very clearly set up (his dad was a navigator on a spice freighter and he died and left his kid with their aunt and uncle) and has already been questioned before the big twist (your dad was a jedi and he was old Ben’s best friend and they fought together in the Clone Wars), Rey’s backstory is inchoate and implicit. She was apparently abandoned at a young age in a garbage dump where she makes a living by scavenging, she’s kind of fixated on the idea she holds of the events of the original trilogy, and she seems to have no friends or relationships of any kind except an antagonistic business dealing with her slumlord/exploiter who will never be seen again and isn’t relevant to anything. So twists about her backstory are not going to yield the same kind of catharsis because we barely know what it is, let alone how Rey really feels about it.

e: I recall reading that something that got cut from TFA was Rey having some kind of mentor relationship with Max von Sydow’s character (old guy that Kylo merks at the beginning) a la Luke & Ben. If that’s true then it’s a pity it was cut. One of the most disappointing aspects of these movies for me is that Rey is so much a woman of action constantly zipping about the universe doing big things that we have very little sense of what sort of person she is. There’s no humanizing moment like Luke’s disappointment that he can’t get to Tosche station and waste time with his friends. Probably the most interesting scene in TLJ is the Mirror Cave: Rey descends into the Dark Side and sees...only herself repeated infinitely, not doing anything of importance (contrast Luke’s frightening battle with his Vader-self inside the evil tree in ESB), just there. Later she admits that she was hoping to see her parents. Really? In a cave of the dark side? Why was she hoping for that? We don’t know because she never comes back to the subject or really reflects on it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 15, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Is this cartoon a Jew? The answer may shock you!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Didn’t Lucas once say something about the original Star Wars to the effect of “This is the movie I think Walt Disney would have made if he were still alive”?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Lucas movies are definitely intended to be family films, even Revenge which is quite a bit darker than anything in the new movies. Lucas realized after the original movie that you could make way more money off selling toys than off selling tickets, so there is a strong element of all his movies that are about selling toys to kids.

I don’t agree that the Disney movies are trying to cater to adult fans: if anything they are mocking them through the character of Kylo who is literally an obsessive Star Wars fan who allows his fascination with continuing the events of the original trilogy to ruin his life. And the Disney movies mostly ignore the strong antiestablishment political subtext of the Lucas movies which people ignored in the original trilogy and disparaged as boring in the prequels. But the new movies definitely do suck at selling toys to kids, relatively speaking.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

The medical droid straight up says there’s nothing wrong with her.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wait what I thought the reason she died was cause of when he choked her with the force

Anakin is sucking the life out of her from a distance in order to keep himself alive. He doesn’t realize he’s doing it, but he is. The editing in the scene directly suggests this. Her heartbeat ceases right at the moment that Vader begins to breathe. “It seems, in your anger, you killed her” — Palpatine, who couldn’t possibly know that she was dying unless he can sense in the Force what is going on. He didn’t arrive on Mustafar until after Padmé and Obi-wan left and knew nothing of Anakin choking her. “I couldn’t have!” Vader responds. “She was alive — I felt it!” He was connected to her in the Force and then she died and he was resurrected.

The “broken heart” thing is a meme. Padmé was unwittingly killed by her husband’s anger.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

I dzzzon't know noth-ing♪ 'bout birthzzzing ba-bie-z-z-z-z.♪ [clacking of metal claws]

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

this is bad faith argumentation basically. People got buttmad about Phantom Menace being not as good as their own idea of Star Wars and began to say things like “Lucas is an idiot/incompetent” and “Lucas’ movies were only good because of [other person conveniently not working on these movies]” and then started out looking at the other prequels in a way that would support these prejudices, instead of paying attention to what is shown on screen and trying to understand it.

Like, Padme’s death is LITERALLY explained in the dialogue. Palpatine tells Vader that he, Vader, killed her. She didn’t die of a “broken heart” (this phrase never appears in the movie; it’s just a joke based on Portman’s terrible delivery of the line “Anakin, you’re breaking my heart!!!!” earlier when he breaks her heart, a while before he kills her, which he does).

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 18, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Anakin is first named earlier in Return when Luke is giving Ghost Ben poo poo.

He’s also named in the Emperor scene in Empire, but it’s one of the subtler special edition retcons — the og version just says “son of Skywalker” there.

Of course the name predates the character by quite a bit, “Annikin” was the name of the more-or-less Luke character in the early drafts.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

So she can dramatically turn, and then dramatically turn the other way

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Applewhite posted:

I think the running is what ruins it. If she just stayed still until the last second, then did like a crouch and swing to slice the whole spaceship in half in a single stroke, then launched straight into a lightsaber duel with Kylo as he leaps from the two dividing halves of the spaceship, I might be like "ok that was p. cool."

Phantom Menace did it first

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

She could just lay on the ground instead of jumping.

Phantom Menace did that too

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Well of course, as a great connoisseur of cinema, I’ve noticed lots of references to great works in Star War

Like when the emperor looks out a window, that’s a ref to Rear Window

And when the spaceship has technical problems, that’s a reference to Nightmare at 20,000 feet

If you read CineD you’d know all these things and more

Moreover, all of Star Wars and its fandom is a reference to that one bit in The Hidden Fortress where Peasant R2D2 tells Peasant C3PO “shitworms can’t smell poo poo”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i don't know what the heck you nerds are talking about now. someone post the pic of the moon falling chewbacca's head

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

TLJ had a lot of stupid poo poo in it but then I'm reminded that The Phantom Menace had a pair of heroic jedi rolling up into a town with literal slaves and the jedi were just like "yeah this is all fine, the real crime is the trade federation imposing an embargo on Space Venice"

galactic heroes of the free market i guess

Well I mean yeah, that’s the point. It’s an important part of how Lucas sets up the prequel Jedi as morally limited if not outright corrupt. Slavery has always been a big part of the Star Wars universe (think how C3PO and R2D2 are treated, like literal hardware to be auctioned off, not allowed in bars, even though we know they are basically people). How is this compatible with Jedi “for a thousand generations”? The whole question that the prequels are created to answer is essentially “if you’re so smart, how come you ain’t rich” to the Jedi. If they were so good and wise, how did two guys wipe them out? And why would someone genuinely good, like Anakin once was, convince himself that it was right to do so? Answer: they weren’t that good. They — even the good ones like Qui-Gon — let evil go on everywhere, telling themselves it was none of their business, until it bit their asses right off. Anakin being a slave whom they hypocritically free because it serves them is what shapes his whole attitude to the order’s moral teaching.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

So what you are saying is, the rebels - what an apt name, by the way - are basically Confederate rising up again and again.

There is that bit where the prequel trilogy’s rebels are literally called the Confederacy, and fight with an army of idiot slave soldiers controlled only by technological power

One of the interesting things about the original trilogy is how specifically Luke’s attitude towards his slaves changes as it goes on. I strongly regret that the sequels haven’t followed up on this, Disney Wars sees the droids as pure mascots and has never done anything interesting with the personality-less BB8 apart from giving him a comical evil clone for a hot minute in TLJ. The spinoffs are a tiny bit better about this, other problems notwithstanding.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Solo is one of the spinoffs that’s a tiny bit better about it. The thing is, the droid is kind of a joke, and her character only exists to tie into a line from Empire that didn’t need anything to be tied into it. At least it shows that somebody making the movie got the subtext of robots though.

Also she usurps Vuffi Raa in much the same way as Rogue One usurps Kyle Katarn. Lame

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 23, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

3PO is there to make sure R2 gets in. R2 is essential to the plan since he’s got Luke’s lightsaber.

It’s a worthwhile question what Luke’s plan is in Return. What actually happens is quite convoluted and is never really explained outright in the movie. He doesn’t seem like a planning sort in any of the movies really, he’s quite impulsive and even (in Return specifically) mystical, and tends to go with what he feels is right rather than planning carefully or even listening to others’ advice.

Luke’s message to Jabba says he always intended to show up and bargain with Jabba for Han in person. When he actually bargains it’s really more of a threat: give up Han or die. He expects violence, so he makes sure R2 (with lightsaber), 3PO, Lando, Leia, and Chewie are all there to help out if necessary. I don’t know what he would do if Leia’s rescue had come off though — Lando, Chewie and the droids would still be stuck there. Maybe Lando could get them out since he’s undercover but that’s not exactly a subtle group.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Farrier Theaks posted:

The only good star wars was the one in 1977

The radio drama is actually also good

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

What IS his plan, then?
Either he has to die so that Vader and Luke can rule the galaxy, Luke has to die so that he and Vader can keep at it, or Vader has to die so he can take Luke on as apprentice.

If the plan is for Luke to come on board, Vader would know he's out the door, so why save the old man? It would make more sense to let Luke kill the emperor so he and Luke can become 1 and 2, why the gently caress would Vader even be going along with this whole goddamn plan?
Vader knew the whole time there can only be two Sith lords, and he's one and he knows who the other one is, so when "the other one" tells you "Let's bring someone else into our relationship", don't you start looking around a little, here?

It’s reflexive. Serving the emperor has been a part of him since his initial fall to the dark side (also involving him defending a defenceless Palpatine from an attacking Jedi btw). He can talk a big game about replacing the emperor and ruling the galaxy when he’s off on his own, but he won’t openly rebel against Palpatine’s commands. He’s been the emperor’s slave and is only deluding himself when he speaks of being free to rule the galaxy as father and son. He makes the EXACT same offer to Padmé on Mustafar, but then goes right back to being the emperor’s slave.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

You're talking about the Jedi as an organization; I'm talking about Obi-Wan Kenobi specifically. His morality is never questioned at any other point in any of the movies. He's portrayed as an upstanding, unambiguously good character throughout all of this, right up until the moment he gets killed by Darth Vader.

An upstanding unambiguously good character...from a certain point of view. He’s a liar who hid the truth from Luke to serve his own ends.

Like really, I’m not saying he’s as bad as Vader or even close, but ESB and ROTJ are all about Luke’s journey taking him beyond merely learning from guys like Obi-wan and Yoda and coming to his own conclusions. Remember, Ben and Yoda both wanted to keep Vader’s true identity from Luke for as long as they could, because they believed Luke was their hitman to kill Vader and cover up their mistake. The idea that he could be redeemed they explicitly condemn, and Luke has to prove to them they’re wrong.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 24, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Indeed, he was secretly protecting this boy for his entire life and chose not to tell him that he's secretly the son of Hitler, that truly is just as bad as embracing the institution of slavery (???)

He doesn’t embrace it — like modern westerners he thinks it is abhorrent. But he is tacit towards its continued practice. It’s good to save Anakin from it, but it’s too much to save everyone from it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I’m not saying that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan even should have started freeing all the slaves, it’s just that the fact that they don’t — that they take Anakin because they sense the force in him while leaving his mother behind — is the thing that sets the tone for Anakin’s relationship with the Jedi Order. When he freaks out shouting things like “I see through the lies of the Jedi” that’s the kind of thing he’s thinking about.

One of the first things Anakin’s character says about the Jedi is that he had a dream he became a Jedi who came back to Tatooine and freed all the slaves, and that must be why Qui-Gon is here. But it’s not why, and no one ever does.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Shmi fell under the sultry spell of the space irish

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You know what really sucks about the prequels? We never see any of the Jedi Masters’ bedrooms. I bet Yoda has a sweet pad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Moola posted:

What's up I'm old man Ben hiding out on Tatooine wearing the classic robes of the Jedi but I'm hiding that I'm a Jedi

Haha they'll never figure out my secret alias my brain has space aids

Its a loving desert 100 billion miles from anywhere relevant and hes an old garbageman who lives alone. Literally nobody cares who he is or what he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vader has no family left and he always hated Tatooine (why wouldn’t he). The only way he could ever confront Obi-wan there is if he were willing to face his past as Anakin Skywalker, which is something he can never do without renouncing the dark side.