Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I finally watched the movie the other day. My first reaction is over in the 'Rate the Latest Movie You Saw' thread, but to cover a few things I didn't over in Rate the Last Movie: Somehow, Palpatine Returned Rise of Skywalker reminded me (unfavorably) of Star Trek: Into Darkness as entire scenes were lifted, wholesale, from older movies - the most egregious being the scene on the 'Luke fucks off and becomes a hermit' planet from TLJ.

Many of the Final Battle Between Good and Evil scenes were actually pretty well done, but the space battles were one of those situations where everything looks dire for the heroes, and just as they say something along the lines of, "I don't think we'll pull this off", suddenly there's a reversal and the heroes are winning again! I'm just confused; although I know that this movie is supposed to be a 'correction' for TLJ, that movie depicted the #Resistance as a splinter group of maybe 100 people and a few starships that were getting their poo poo wrecked left and right. Now, all of a sudden, the First Order needs an entire fleet of Star Destroyers to fight as many ships as the Rebels had in the OT?

Even the humor falls flat. There's a scene where we pointlessly say goodbye to Threepio because his memory is being wiped. Fine; Threepio is one of the first characters we saw from A New Hope. But the movie has to remind us every time Threepio is on screen that his memory has been wiped and doesn't remember anyone. Then Artoo restores his memory and the whole thing is rendered a waste of time, very much like the 'tick plot point boxes from Wrath of Khan' death of Kirk in Into Darkness (which is undone almost immediately). I don't think poo poo like this is an issue of writers not understanding how to write anymore, but idiots in suits who need everything dumbed down for them and think audiences are as stupid as they are.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's really funny that all it took for Kylo to turn from the Dark Side in Somehow, Palpatine Returned was a Good Talking To from Han. Kylo/Ben just quit the Dark Side cold turkey, I guess.