Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

Honestly, Game of Thrones fever reminds me of Lost. People got so hyped on the show that it's impossible to reach an end that will satisfy.

Lost had one good season, then one decent season, and then four seasons of slow dreadful decline but everyone stuck around just to see if there was going to be some kind of "explanation", which they finally sort of did and turned out to be a very obvious idea that the writers had already publicly denied repeatedly, like three seasons earlier. it wasnt just that the ending was bad it was kind of like we all knew the writers were digging themselves into a hole for four seasons and people kept watching just to see if they could get out of it.

im not much of a GoT fan but it definitely sustained its quality for longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kuato posted:

I haven’t watched it in a while but I recall it completely going off the rails in the last few seasons. Still not sure what happened or what the point was. :shrug:

basically they were all dead. it was purgatory.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lil Peeler posted:

Any good examples you all can think of where having a diverse and collaborative team produced something great but only one person was credited with it?

its pretty common in the music world, lots of albums and stage shows are attributed mainly to one figure or handful of figures but the work is truly the result of a large number of people putting in both creative and technical work. in most cases those other people are formally credited in liner notes but the general public is completely unaware of them

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

anytime the question is raised of what the force is, whichver character is closest to the camera at the time should just look directly at the camera, say "magic", and do jazz hands

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Saint Drogo posted:

even in TLJ Kylo is a p great character and shows a version of the dark side that reminds me of the OTs. like something that would actually be tempting to the shitloads of Kylos in the real world. Driver elevates it but the character is still so much better conceived than any other new addition.

i like the kylo ren character but i dont think he's really that far off from the young anakin character. they both fit the general "angsty young powerful man cant control what he wants to control and loses his poo poo" type. driver is just a much better/more interesting actor than christensen

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the new movies dont suck anymore than the old movies imo. they just dont have the appeal of nostalgia (for people my age) or the appeal of being the first time youve ever seen space ships blow each other up on a movie screen (for people who were utterly blown away when star wars first came out).

if you took the original star wars and it was people with swords on pirate ships instead of people with laserswords on space ships it would just be an yet typical adventure movie, a generic "swashbuckler"

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 16, 2019

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

revwinnebago posted:

But just staying within the realm of editing, "How Star Wars Was Saved In The Edit" is all you need to demonstrate that ANH is a Good Movie even just talking about a pure technical level. The prequels - outside of the big action scenes in Phantom - and the postquels can't even come close.

if you need to watch another movie about the editing of a movie in order to convince yourself that the movie is good, maybe its not that good.

"well edited" maybe but thats not the same thing. i dont really seperate the "pure technical level" from everything else. theres lots of bad art with "technically good" elements in it

im not denying that the prequels are worse of course

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 16, 2019

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i meant the newest ones with rea and kylo and whatnot and also rogue one. to me they seem roughly the same quality as the originals, at least the first two (jedi is a step down imo and when they became more focused on the merchandising)

i hated the prequels

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Have you actually watched the thing you're discounting here?

no i havent watcherd it. i dont think star wars was a very good movie and im not really interested in watching another movie about editing to try to convince me that it was. could it have been worse? absolutely, no argument there

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The Disney Star Warses are very good at aping the tone of the originals(especially relative to the prequels which often didn't feel like Star Wars movies at all for a lot of people) but they are simply inferior in terms of construction

when i talk about whether a movie is "good" in my opinion that is based primarily on my personal emotional reaction to the acting, writing and things like aesthetic and tone, not so much things like editing. its subjective and probably not going to apply to other people but thats fine. to me the most recent movies feel more like a cynical cash crab than any of the others but at the same time the actors are all a lot more compelling to watch than just about anyone in the prequels and while the stories arent great (like i said they are about the same level as the originals to me) they aren't as horrible to sit through as the prequel stories were. they do have more of that "star wars feeling" because disney knows how to do nostalgia and lucas did not get it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sebmojo posted:

i liked TLJ, though with some caveats, and the three people I went with loved it. It fell apart in retrospect but it has enough great visuals and moments to be an enjoyable watch imo, for all the director's hard-on for slaughtering ever sacred cow he can find is a bit wearying.

the main appeal is that those imperial guards who used to just stand around in the background actually get to do something, and its pretty cool

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Maybe, who knows? Leia got spaced in that last movie but her eyeballs didn’t pop or anything and she survived, so maybe space has air but it’s still really cold

yeah i am pretty sure the space in Star Wars has air in it and also all of the solar systems etc are way way closer together than in our reality (based on the fact that the Empire nuked a bunch of planets in one of the new movies and Finn et all stood there on the surface of some other planet watching it)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Applewhite posted:

I'd noticed it before but now that it's been called out here it's actually really bugging me that at no point to space suits appear in Star Wars and that space is basically treated like black air.

it's a kids movie about laser swords and space magic in a fantasy universe why would it bug you that the space has air in it? did you know light sabers also aren't real?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Applewhite posted:

watching a fantasy story about adventures in outer space is it unreasonable for me to expect even a slight nod to the setting?

sure. there are many slight nods to the setting. space is mentioned and shown frequently. it just doesnt have the same physical properties as our space

Applewhite posted:

Me, watching a story about submarines battling underwater and the crew gets out of the submarine and they breathe and talk normally despite being at the bottom of the ocean: “they shouldn’t be able to breathe.”

Sophisticated moviegoers: “lol idiot, it’s just a movie.”

do you yell at the tv when you see spongebob squarepants because sponges aren't supposed to wear clothes or talk?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Applewhite posted:

All I said was it bugged me that there were no space suits in a movie about outer space that has not otherwise established that space doesn’t require them in this setting (a-la Treasure Planet). People are acting like I’m going full magic xylophone.

i dont know what that means it just seems bizarre to me to be bugged by something ridiculously nonrealistic in a movie that is constantly ridiculously nonrealistic. like it literally makes as much sense to me as complaning that wile e coyote always hovers in the air for few seconds before falling down

i mean i dont think you should always turn off your brain when watching media but star wars of all things seems like an ok place to do so

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Applewhite posted:

I accept Obi Wan Kenobi is a space wizard who turns into a magic ghost after getting decapitated by an evil samurai wielding a laser sword. That doesn’t mean that I should also automatically accept it if Luke only suffered a temporary inconvenience after getting an anvil dropped on his head.

yeah im sorry but i dont really understand the difference between the two examples you are making here. i dont think of star wars as story "with some fantasy elements" its p much fully nonsense the entire time

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Applewhite posted:

So you’re telling me that if Rei attacks Kylo Ren in episode IX by flattening him with a steamroller and Kylo’s flat body gets up and reinflates like Judge Doom in Roger Rabbit, you’d be like “hm yes this is tonally consistent with Star Wars as it has been presented thus far and I fully accept this on the grounds that laser swords also exist in this setting.”

the only thing that seems out of place in your description is a steamroller because Star Wars would come up with some futurey looking machine instead

but yes if Rei attacked Kylo Ren with a big futurey looking machine and and flattened Kylo and Kylo got back up and reinflated, I promise you, I would fully accept it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Because a steamroller would just be too crazy.

nah it just wouldnt match the aesthetics of the world as much. someone getting flattened and reinflating though doesnt really seem much different from someone getting cut in half by a laser sword and then immediately disappearing and then coming back later as a ghost. i dont really get how you dont see that both of those things are ridiculous

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Maybe the arguing about Star Wars thread isn’t for you.

im sorry for disagreeing with you but i dont know what to tell you. ill drop it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

skasion posted:

You know one interesting thing about the First Order? They're much less visibly racist and sexist than the empire. Within the first scene of TLJ alone there's multiple female and nonwhite FO officers. Tokenism? Ok sure, but the imperial starfleet had absolutely none of that.

i may be misremembering but in my mind neither the empire nor FO had any non-humans at all, whereas the rebellion and resistance have many, but i also dont remember that actually being addressed at any point

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

skasion posted:

In ANH and ESB there are no aliens in either the rebellion or the empire, everyone on both teams is (white) human or a robot (except Chewie). It‘s suggested in dialogue that imperial officers are fairly contemptuous towards nonhumans as a rule and though there is no overt acknowledgement of the fact, every single imperial we see is a white man.

didn't they also retcon it so that the stormtroopers were clones of a maori dude? (i mean obviously not maori in the context of the star wars universe but jango fett wasnt white)

i thought there were random aliens in the rebellion in the earlier movies but i think my brain was just assuming ackbar et al were always in the background

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

characters like phasma and bobba fett may not do a lot on the screen but they likely make up for it in action figure sales

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I would say it's a disappointing ending to the saga if I hadn't already been disappointed by 7, 8, 1, 2, 3, and some of the goofy Han solo bits from 6.

well dont worry there's no way this is the end of the saga disney is going to milk it for 50 more years

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

they hated the Vader reveal, they thought it was a random retcon that didn't make any sense

it's literally the name of the character :wtf:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mozi posted:

should have made the bad guys the Jedie and the good guys the Jedlive

if the jedi were so divided they'd never have had the numbers to become an official religion

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like Rogue One better than most Star Wars movies but those AI actor replacements looked terrible and are just going to look worse and worse with age

also Ip Man was under used imo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chrs posted:

Similarly people who say that Andor is the best Star Wars thing in years just need to accept they don’t actually like Star Wars

i don't think most of us have a problem with that? like yes, I like Rogue One and Andor quite a bit more than any other Star Wars stuff, and i do not remotely consider myself any kind of true and proper "Star Wars fan". that's... not exactly hard to accept.

I like the first three movies a lot too, but only for nostalgic reasons, if A New Hope came out today as a brand new thing I'd probably not care for it very much either. but Andor was just a good slow burn espionage show regardless of setting. the closest thing ive seen to LeCarrean scifi.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 3, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

people love to blame jar jar for episode one but while he sucked, he was more a symptom then a cause. and i sure as gently caress dont blame the actor.

a colleague of mine has a whole podcast just about that https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/introducing-the-redemption-of-jar-jar-binks/id1683213476?i=1000611665620

and i agree there were way more problems with the prequel trilogy than jar jar. i never took issue with any particular actor or character so much as the aesthetic of the whole thing just felt way off.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

Everything people hate in the Prequels you can see starting in Return of the Jedi

i think return of the jedi is the weakest of the original trilogy but at least it didn't have that weird 50's jetsons meets rebel without a cause aesthetic from the prequels. tho im sure george had it in mind already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

One kind of nice thing about the new Disney stuff is there were a lot of SW nerds who either were too young for the prequel hate, or realized how lovely they were being, and Jar Jar's actor has gotten a lot of praise and apologies lately.

on the other hand Kelly Marie Tran and Moses Ingram from the new movies and shows have also faced a lot of harassment and bullying from SW nerds so I'm not sure the Disney acquisition really changed much in that regard