Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

And then as a force ghost, he badgered his great-great-grandson to not be a gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

halokiller posted:

That would have been a much better follow-up, but Disney would never allow their main lead join the bad guy just like they wouldn't allow the main lead in Rogue One be a terrorist.

Although Disney did allow the male and female leads to both be former child soldiers.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Fartbox posted:

The movie is exactly like a regular JJ movie so chances are most of it was JJ. That reddit text reads like some diehard JJ fan trying to save JJ's face

It's pretty funny how anonymous, behind the scenes drama leaks are like a new genre of fan fiction.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Kinda, but don't forget Baylan is post-EU and Lucas has no say anymore. I also think *most* of the gray jedi stuff started happening towards the end of the EU, after the god-awful Yuuzhan Vong poo poo

I don't know much about EU gray force stuff, but in general, having a story that ends with "balance the light and dark sides" doesn't understand what those things two things are supposed to be. Although, changed lucas' idea that the using the dark side magically corrupted you and turns you more and more evil until you were completely consumed and needed someone else to pull you out of it was always pretty dumb.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah, Dark Siders are constantly bending to the force to their own desires and messing stuff up, whereas Jedi are supposed to listen to The Force. Part of the problem with the Jedi Council in the Prequels is that they have also stopped listening to The Force, and are so hidebound in their traditions that they're ignoring things they really shouldn't be. It's why in AOTC Yoda and Mace Windu admit their ability to 'hear' the force has diminished. It's also why Palpatine can hide so easily among the Jedi.

In the high republic books, there was a faction called the Path of the Open Hand that believed no force abilities, light or dark, should be used by anyone and doing so upsets the universe. So like if a jedi would save someone's life with their abilities in one place, the universe would kill someone somewhere else to keep balance. Because of this, they hated the jedi order and thought its existence did more harm than good. Then it turned out that their leaders were cool with killing innocent people to further their aims, so this nuanced faction just got completely ruined since they were too cowardly to make the jedi look remotely bad.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

What’s really funny is that what they had to do was incredibly simple. Get the old gang back together for one last rip roaring adventure, introduce the new kids along the way, and hand over the torch in a dignified manner. It was that loving simple and they hosed it up in every imaginable way.

There was a time when hollywood could push a movie starring three geriatrics, but those days are gone. Young, pretty people sell more tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Isometric Bacon posted:

I always think that Rian Johnson is unfairly shat upon for depicting Luke in TLJ as a reclusive hermit who's given up on the force, because how else are they going to pick up from where The Force Awakens left it?

I know people just wanted cool action scenes that looked like that one ghoulish scene in the Mandalorian where Luke kicks everyone's butt, but TFA established that he's been missing for years and has effectively ignored a hostile takeover of the galaxy and danger to his friends and family.

I've always assumed they never really thought much further beyond TFA needs an 'iconic looking end shot to tease the next film'.

I assumed he was on the ancient jedi planet to look for a weapon/tool/knowledge that would help him fight the bad guys. He needed to hide where he was from everyone because it was that important to not risk evil people finding the thing first. He left behind the map in case of an emergency so he could be called upon when he was needed. Rey could have handed him the lightsaber and then he could be like "oh cool, you found me. You came at the perfect time. I just found what I was looking for. You can be my apprentice and we can use it to fight bad guys."

Maybe still put some stuff in there about secluding himself as a self-imposed exile for allowing his school to be destroyed and him feeling really bad about it. But to go as far as him completely giving up even after someone comes to him and is like "Han is dead and your sister needs you" is ridiculous.