Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm not gonna see it unless I know for a fact that someone milks a walrus onscreen. TLJ just set the bar so high w/r/t milking scenes

Minds blown as C3PO jelqs a tonton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

WatermelonGun posted:

they’re showing off a new game tomorrow maybe this one will actually come out.

This exciting new action-adventure game stars Drake Sunslayer, the secret apprentice of the perfidious Snoke. When Snoke is cruelly cut down by Kylo Ren, Drake is forced to question everything.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I can see why they would use the ruins of the Death Star as a setpiece. The best part of the last two movies was a slice of Rey's daily life foraging in the wreckage of big destroyed ships that had crashed on her planet

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
That isn't nearly derivative enough for Star Wars

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Creamed Cormp posted:

What I am saying is give us Star Wars : Rashomon edition

I'm amazed they haven't gone back to ripping off Kurosawa movies by now. It would be hacky but turn out better than the hacky poo poo they're already doing. Stray Dog, Yojimbo, Red Beard. Just transplant them into Star Wars land and you have better movies than Rogue One or Last Jedi by default

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ironslave posted:

I'd like to think Abrams, even for all his doofy views on good filmmaking, knows this. I'd wager "Rise of Skywalker" would probably end up referring to Luke's role as inspirational figure which the climax of TLJ touched on rather than something asinine like "Rey was a Skywalker all along" or "it's the new word for Jedi" or "actually, it's referring to Kylo Ren/Ben Solo."

But this is Abrams, and I have very little faith in his skills as a storyteller.

It wouldn't surprise me if Luke isn't really dead or a force ghost and they just retcon him disappearing at the end. It's astral projections all the way down. Even though I think Luke turning his back on the Jedi is a decent idea on paper, the way it was handled in the new movies was pretty terrible. Hammill was at least open in the press about hating the direction for his character and that the new movies were like relay races in that nothing was planned and one director picks up where the last one left off. He said as much as he could publicly without a giant Mickey Mouse cane yanking him offstage

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The theme that plays while Rey is scavenging is good and that's also the best scene from any of the new movies

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The best part of the new movies was Daisy Ridley scavenging the detritus of a decades-old battle. There was a good musical theme, good pacing, and basically no terrible Marvel-style dialog. If the Empire-Rebellion stuff stayed in the background like that it could have been a cool launching pad for something new.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Moola posted:

that 5 or 10 minutes of the film was really good, that theme is lovely.

And the bit where she makes space bread and sits next to a fallen AT-AT while wearing a rebel helmet she found :allears:

There's a few frames where you see a rebel pilot plush doll she's made, and those few frames have more character building than all of TLJ and TROS combined lol

It was the only instance I can remember of "show, don't tell" and in like three minutes you know that:

1. This person is resourceful and independent
2. She has a grueling routine just to get the daily necessities of life
3. She keeps to herself, and the planet she lives on is a backwater where everything is catch-as-catch-can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
One of the biggest problems - aside from not scripting out the main trilogy ahead of time - was the super compressed release schedule. There's been a Star Wars movie every year since 2015. Even if the movies were good some fatigue would have set in. They treated it like Marvel while ignoring that Marvel has lots of different settings, time periods, and characters to give you at least a modicum of variety. They should have just released one movie every 2-3 years at most so viewers would actually anticipate it a little.