Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
It’s funny to see half the people here say nothing happened, and half saying they blazed through plot at light speed.

This episode felt a lot more like an old-school game of thrones at 3x speed, with the exception of the how to train your dragon sequence. That was really odd, didn’t look great CGI-wise, and seemed to waste time when time is at a premium. If this were a 10 episode season with another season to come, sure - take the 3 minutes to indulge in something like that, but it was a huge waste of precious time.

As for Bronn, I don’t think he will go through with killing one of the brothers. He will be about to kill one, realize that in whatever world he kills a Lannister brother, is also a world where he won’t live to spend the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Really disappointed with the motivation they're giving the Others. It's the most boring by-the-numbers poo poo.

It’s the only thing that works given that the show ends in 4 episodes. I’d rather get something plain and boring that makes sense given the constraints than suddenly trying to squeeze in a whole bunch of complicated Night King backstory and motivation.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The biggest problem people seem to have with the sex scene is that we got to know Arya when Maisie Williams was 12, and somehow still looks 12.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

JT Jag posted:

what nuanced book, there's been no book to base the show off of for over a season

Which is why I’m ok with them sticking to the 73 episode goal set in season 2 and hurrying, rather than the show overstaying it’s welcome and going for 10 seasons of 10 episodes. Benioff and Weiss are great at adapting the series for TV, but when the author himself can’t figure out how to pull this grand story together and release another book after 9 years, I can’t begrudge them too much for not living up to the standards of earlier seasons.

It’s like having a heart surgeon sub in for a neurosurgery. Sure it would be ideal if the neurosurgeon was available to carry out this important surgery, but the heart surgeon is all we have got. The fact that they don’t want to put themselves in a position where they have to create even more of the story from scratch is completely understandable.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Next week feels very much like the Battle of Helm's Deep, and I expect when the sun rises, some help is going to arrive to turn the tide of the battle.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Omne posted:

My theory is that the wights will get into the crypt (it's supposed to be a labyrinthine tunnel system, right?)

I think that's a far more likely outcome. Rickon is the only one in a "resurrectable state". We also don't know if the Night King can even resurrect piles of bones. So far its all been recently deceased corpses, and while he has skeletons in his army - they probably weren't skeletons when he turned them. Wights getting into the crypt also plays into the theory that the Night King is a Stark ancestor, and therefore has intimate knowledge about the castle, and would know where to send his troops.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'm surprised at how many people are just really bad at watching TV. That's not to say this episode didn't have issues, but it seems there quite a few who don't pay attention to anything and then complain about things not making sense, despite everything being presented to you, but you were unable or unwilling to retain any information.

The Night King was always going to lose this battle. If he won, there would literally be a small handful of people who are able to retreat on the 2 dragons, and then the show would be over. The Night King/White Walkers/Army of the Dead were also never the primary antagonist on the show. Humanity being its own worst enemy has literally been the entire point of the story. The ending we got wasn't satisfying, but given that even the original writer can't figure out how to wrap it up, it was serviceable. I'm sure everyone wanted to see Jon and the Night King engage in some epic duel, but the Night King was never going to allow a genuine threat near him. That is also why it was possible for Arya to try her surprise attack (which she was primed for more than once by Melissandre, and you even got to see her run off after figuring out what she was being told). The Night King was about to have the moment he waited thousands of years for, and it was a lot like Voldemort in the grave yard with Harry Potter, where sure any faceless lackey could do the deed, but he wanted it to be him.

Arya, like Theon, was deemed to be no threat, and the white walkers do sense her coming before she attacks. It's not that unfeasible for a magic ninja assassin, who grew up in this castle, to be able to sneak up close enough to try and take out the Night King. Especially if they don't consider her to be a danger to them. The fact that the dagger that was supposed to kill Bran in season 1, kills the Night King as he was about to kill Bran was a decent way to close that story. The ending was by no means satisfying, or felt worthy of the build up, but it was a better end than Jon slicing through him or Dany roasting him.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol, go away with this arrogance. We understood it people just think it was cheesy. Its not about being bad at watching, get off your high horse.
Any resolution to a fight against a near immortal Night King and an ever growing army of the dead that doesn't end in the most realistic situation of them winning will be cheesy.

quote:

"This had to happen because otherwise what would we do, so that means its fine even if its nonsensical" is some really really weird non-logic. You can't justify an action purely because "we wouldn't know what to do otherwise". That doesn't make it make sense.

Also, maybe if they hadn't sacrificed all the cavalry in a charge before the battle started, they could have escaped some women and children and main characters on horseback? A pyrric victory would have felt less cheesy, when the horde of undead had already overrun them and made it into the walls. A few people escaping would feel appropriately tense. All the bad guys going "poof" makes the whole conflict seem like a joke in retrospect. One dude with a dragonglass arrow could have prevented the whole war.

We know we have Cersei still sitting on the Iron Throne, so we knew they had to win, and win while still being in a condition to fight her. The only way the second major story arc can be completed is if this first one ends in a certain fashion. The cavalry being thrown away was for practical storytelling because the Dothraki have no part to play in the war against the army of the dead. Before Melissandre showed up and lit their swords on fire, they weren't even equipped to kill anything. Keeping them around at all was stupid and dumb, they should have probably been deployed to ward off any attack from the south by the Golden Company. Having the Dothraki simply ferry away people on their horses is no less cheesy or dumb than sending them on a suicide charge. Where would they go? Unless they were planning to evacuate people off Westeros altogether, there was no escape.

quote:

Also you say "you guys are bad at watching TV for thinking this episode has issues!" followed by "oh but the episode totally had issues, the ending wasn't satisfying, the writer doesn't know what to do so it was... okay"

Uhhhh so you agree with us? Lmao wtf.
Agreeing that there are issues is not the same as people going "wtf, its impossible that Arya could have done anything she did. Arya is probably the most skilled fighter in Westeros at this point, and her succeeding with a sneak attack is just as plausible a method as any.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

No Wave posted:

I hate what they did to the hound this episode too. He's supposed to be reliable in a fight, that's like the trait that makes him likable. I didnt want to see the most battle worn dude in the series learn REAL bravery from an 18 year old.

He fled from the Battle of Blackwater, which was a walk in the park compared to this.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Randall Tarley might have been a dick, but his assessment of Sam was spot on, as Sam proved last night.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Elman posted:

You can make things fun and entertaining while still making sense. Baiting the Night King to the woods and ambushing him isn't dramatic cause we're given no explanation as to why he'd take that bait and go there personally instead of just letting his zombie army do the job.

After 8 seasons of driving home the point that Winter Is Coming and poo poo's really gonna hit the fan and everyone's unprepared after years fighting over pointless politics and not preparing for the Real Enemy (in a heavy handed global warming parallel)... It turns out that no, it wasn't that big of a deal after all since they just killed that enemy off in a single episode and we never even learned their goals or motivations. Apparently Cersei was the smart one for ignoring the threat after all.

Have you never seen a piece of fiction where the bad guy wants to personally be the one to execute his grand plan? It would be pretty weird if faceless lackeys were the ones to do the ultimate deed.

The Night King was also never the final boss in this story. Humans being their own worst enemy has been the key theme throughout. Yeah it’s sucks that we never got any greater explanation of the white walkers goals and ambitions, but that is the failing of episodes 1-72, not episode 73.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Arya is going to kill Cersei and single handedly win both story lines.

And Dario almost certainly shows up with the second sons when it looks like Dany is losing the fight.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

JHomer722 posted:

What in the gently caress was that Bronn scene? Why can everyone teleport everywhere? How is this show so bad?

Of all the problems with this episode, this is not one of them. Qyburn sent him shortly after Jamie left.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

This is what I'm genuinely interested in. How did the show change in quality this quickly? It definitely started around Season 5 as they left the GRRM material behind, but then it seemed to accelerate.

My main theory used to be George Lucas syndrome, where increasing success belies increasing laziness and a decrease in restrictions corresponding with an increase in ego and yes-men.

Now I am increasingly also subscribing to the theory that D&D just aren't very good showrunners or writers, especially as I've been hearing more snippets of them from interviews and commentaries.

D&D did deliver the first 4 seasons that everyone swoons over. Season 6 also gave us 2 of the best episodes of the show. I think the ending we are seeing is simply the result of everyone wanting this behemoth to be over, and no one, including GRRM knowing how to finish it. They gave themselves this limited episode count way back during season 2, and stuck to it because the last thing the writers want to do is have to fill in even more of the blanks.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think they're just as tough as the plot requires them to be at any given time, e.g. Rhaegal didn't seem any worse for wear this week after Viserion tore his chest up with his claws and caused him to crash land and throw Jon off in the last episode. But Euron wasn't intimidated by them in the slightest this week so there's gonna be some poo poo the next time Drogon shows up to change that. Or maybe not and he'll suddenly be scared of the dragon this time, who knows.

They did show Rhaegal struggling to fly before they left Winterfell.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That Bronn scene was seriously nonsensical. The way an enemy officer just casually walks in and out of some room deep in Winterfell brandishing a crossbow with no trouble. The implication that he's confident he can do exactly the same thing, again, if they renege on their promise.

How many people in the North can recognize Bronn? He is also shown to be one of the few competent people in Westeros, and prior to this episode was known to have a good relationship with both Lannister brothers, and helped set up the meeting with Cersei that Tyrion wanted. In addition, Winterfell is hardly locked down like Fort Knox right now. Everyone still alive is drinking and partying their asses off. 3 episodes ago, Jamie, one of the most recognizable people in Westeros, and true enemy of the north, rode straight in to the middle of Winterfell (and that was with everyone in a heightened state of alert).

Also, to those complaining about Bronn “teleporting” around, you do remember him being sent North shortly after Jamie left? He didn’t exactly leave Kings Landing the day before. There are so many legitimate complaints to make, that when people start bitching about things that are completely plausible, it comes off as incredibly disingenuous. No one complained about Cat Stark, a women who seems to be in her mid 50s dashing down to Kings Landing in no time at all, or how about how on earth Davos survived the Battle of Blackwater, despite being closest to the wildfire, without even picking up a scratch (or that pirates were still lurking near by Kings Landing in the morning, long after the Lannisters won the fight. Same thing goes for the scorpions. Drogon got injured by out of shape sons of the harpy tossing flimsy spears, yet people question why the dragons can be killed by a ballista that’s been juiced up since the last version we saw Qyburn make. It’s complete bullshit for Dany to not see the ships, or for 3 accurate shots to land a split second after the dragons come into view, but any dragon that gets his by scorpion 2.0 is going to take serious damage.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Slutitution posted:

This episode is the lowest rated of the series now lol

That seems about right.

The next episode will likely define how the series is viewed by many. There has clearly been an ending that the show wanted to achieve, and worked backwards from there. And if they can surpass Winds of Winter and deliver a real standout episode of television, a lot of people will forgive them for not knowing how to navigate from the end of the books to some spectacular ending. I wouldn’t bet on it, but there still a chance the show redeems itself somewhat this weekend.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
People in Westeros seem to honor parleys and guest rights (except for Walter Frey). Even Ramsay, who cared little for social convention, didn’t try to kill Jon their meeting. Dany could have ended the war if she just burned the entire Lannister contingent at their first meeting. Cersei must also be really confident they are going to win now that they have a proven method of taking out dragons, and a seemingly stronger army.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

No Wave posted:

Power levels are fun do not get me wrong. It's just not something the show engages in much besides Arya (urgh).

Yeah. Arya at this point beats anyone 1v1, except maybe Jaqen, who trained her (and maybe the Mountain if turns out he can’t be killed by conventional mortal wounds).

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The problem with this episode was the previous episodes. If they didn’t bring a 20000 strong golden company over, and the scorpions were shown to be ineffective short of hitting dragons in the eye, this would have worked a lot more.

We got more than enough evidence of Dany being a psychopath who was barely kept in check by her advisors. Her burning down the city is a natural progression, but the battle was a cakewalk, over in the first 2 minutes, after spending 2 seasons lowering her power level for us to get a more even and suspenseful fight.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

chmods please posted:

If this season had been a full 10 episodes, they could have shown a gradual, definitive slide into madness. Jon could have revealed his parentage to her as the season 7 cliffhanger. This would have been episode 7 or 8, and it all would have made sense. But no, she turned in the space of, what, two episodes?

She has been the mad queen since season 2. Dany being an insane Targaryen is probably the most built up story line in the show.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Scoss posted:

I don't even disagree with the direction they decide to take Dany, but the pacing of it is definitely the worst blunder. She has always been depicted as Harsh But Fair. She isn't afraid to crucify or burn people who deserve it, but has shown capacity for mercy and reserves her worst punishment for people who get in her way and stay there, or otherwise have earned it.

They transitioned from this to full-blown pyromaniac crazy lady in an episode and a half.

She has almost always had to be talked into showing mercy by her advisors. Her initial instinct was never to show mercy, and even when listened to her advisors, she often came to regret not following her instincts and burning everything to the ground.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
If Euron tried to kill Rhaegal and failed, got burned alive, and then both dragons wrecked King’s Landing, this would have worked much better. There was never any suspense after the first 2 minutes about who would win

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Raccooon posted:

I mean that comes from this episode. Before she has been shown as a person working to end slavery and then fought to stop the apocalypse.

She brought the apocalypse. She could have stayed in Essos and ensured a better life for millions of people. Instead, her focus was always to return home and kill thousands of people on her way to claiming the Iron Throne, because her father once sat on it. Thousands of innocent people dying to get Dany what she wanted was already acknowledged a long time ago. Her only interest in breaking the wheel was ensuring there were no more rival families to challenge her. She always lusted for undisputed power, and the very idea of bringing thousands of unsullied, Dothraki, and 3 dragons to Westeros tells you how much she values the lives of the common people.

Heck, going back to season 1, she was looking forward to Drogo raping and murdering all of Westeros.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Well that was actually a good episode but it shows that maybe if they had taken 10 episodes this season instead of rushing the first 4 to get to this point this season wouldnt have been an absolute trainwreck up to now.

Also Vary's deserved better, and really that's how you're gonna do my boy Qyburn? He should have outlived them all honestly.

Also called it 3 episodes ago they were too scared of twitter backlash when Dany gets killed/ usurped so they had to make her Dragon Hitler at one point and she'd likely kill a bunch of innocents so the viewers go ooooh ok she is now the bad guy instead of keeping her morality and whether she was right to rule Westeros subtle. But nope full genocidal out of nowhere I guess.

Anyone who says the Dany being genocidal came out of nowhere hasn’t been paying attention. She has been a psychopath since season 1.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Let also talk about how *loving terrible* Watchmen looks.

Consider that the show is done by Lindelof, and given his recent track record, I expect the show is going to be fantastic.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

The problem with this is that season 6 is better than season 5.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

We've been through this countless times in this thread. Hints at madness? Sure. A psychopath? Absolutely not. There has never been an instance where you were like ok she'd burn women and children alive because she's angry. She punished her enemies and exacted revenge, but no worst than the Lannisters or any other house in Westeros.

Like when she burnt Vary's. That wasn't psychopath behaviour. That was a queen executing a traitor. Does it make her a tyrant? Yes. Does it mean that character will burn literally hundreds of thousands of women and kids alive because she's upset? No way. The jump has been way too extreme. It's just they needed her to be full crazy or us to accept the ending.

Drogo promised to rape and murder all of Westeros for her in season 1, and she was distraught that he ever got the chance to do that, and burnt the rape survivor alive. The next time she interacts with anyone new, she threatens to burn their city to the ground. Stuff like executing Varys or the Tarlys I’m ok with. Anyone else would have done the same, but if you have a dragon why not use them for executions. Dany has been pretty much full on mad queen for most of the time we have known her, and it took her advisors begging her to not make the worst possible decision at every point to reign her in.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I and all of my IRL friends and most regular rear end people I have seen on twitter have mostly been fine with the show up until this episode. This episode I have seen nothing but hate from those on twitter I follow that like the show and even my IRL friends all have the same consensus that last night's episode was trash.

Eh, this episode was significantly better than last week's. If anyone was fine with last week and then not fine with last night, they need to get their head checked.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

George RR Martin, stuffing his mouth with bloomin' onion during a lunch meeting with D&D five years ago: Okay so basically Varys backs Jon over Danerys and gets killed
Writer for this season: Okay, so what happens with Varys here?
D&D: He backs Jon over Danerys and gets killed
Writer: Okay, how does that happen exactly
D&D: We just told you
Writer: (shrugs) Alright

That is basically all of season 7 and 8.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Gunthen posted:

It became a different show in season 5. What Hollywood had in mind was very different from GRRM's writing. I just like to pretend GoT ended with Season 4, an 5-8 is a different show, then I enjoy it.

This was not Hollywood corrupting GRRM's vision. This is GRRM giving up and expecting others to do his work for him, but after a decade on this project, those people were ready to move on, and basically just gave us his bullet points.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Season 8 is a dumpster fire, but the latest episode was in no way worse than the 14 or so episodes that preceded it, the action wasn't all completely stupid, it finally made some satisfying use of a big dragon and it generally made sense from start to finish.

People's reaction to this episode comes across as really disingenuous. Clearly the worst episode of the series? It was not nearly as nonsensical as the Battle of Winterfell, and last week's episode was so bad it puts the worst of the Arrowverse to shame.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

It won't be

Its gonna be arya killing her and jon becoming the king and if you think not you don't understand D&D

D&D are just giving us what ever GRRM gave them. If Arya kills Dany, and Jon becomes king, its because that's what GRRM intended. D&D aren't bothering to fill in the blanks, but they are giving us the big plot points they were told.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Yeah before this season I rewatched the first four, and really the main difference to me is the pacing has totally sped up for the worse.

This doesn't apply to most shows, but GoT would have probably benefited if they had slowed down and spread poo poo out over another season or two and stuck with the earlier seasons pacing

With no source material or any involvement from GRRM (he used to review scripts and contribute to the writing of an episode a season), I can see why they didn't want to do 10 episodes for seasons 7 and 8.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Raccooon posted:

Yeah I can see it being in her character to kill surrendered Lannister and Gold company soldiers. Not slaughtering civilians though. That’s the shark jumping moment.

You don't rule with fear, as she said she planned to, if you only kill soldiers. Dany going full mad queen was always where her story was going, and sure GRRM probably intended to have a dozen more steps to get from 6/10 crazy to 11/10 crazy, but he hasn't figured it out yet and the show doesn't have the time or the willingness to figure it out for him. The same is true for every plot in the story.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

they supported the system. they had the power to end it.

Some random nobles had no power to change the system. Even Danerys with 3 dragons, the unsullied, and the second sons couldn't change the system.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Anyone other than Jon becoming ruler of Westeros would be just as unsatisfying. At least Bran is an all-knowing godlike being.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

InevitableCheese posted:

When my group watched this part, they answered Tyrion's "Who has a better story than Bran?" with "Literally loving everyone"

Not really. No one other than Jon or Dany had a good reason to be made the ruler, and after last week it couldn't be Dany, and with Jon being the one to kill her, it couldn't be him either.

Who ever did get to be king/queen would basically need to have Bran sit next to them and tell them what to do anyway. This was still a hugely unsatisfying end, and Bran comes into contention in the last 10 minutes of the series after not even being present for a season, but he makes more sense than Gendry or Sansa. I would have rather they had no one become the next ruler, and every House say gently caress it, we are going to do our own thing from now on. The system they just put in place is arguable worse than the hereditary rule that existed before.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Raccooon posted:

I give it a 50/50 chance they don't do Star Wars now.

D&D are going to be set for a long time. As bad as S7 and 8 were, they can make excuses about how GRRM left them stranded, the actors were ready to move on, so the hatchet job at the end was really a product of some unfortunate circumstances. They did prove to be rather adept at adapting source material. Even beyond Star Wars, if they approach Netlix, Amazon, Apple, Hulu or anyone else with a new series they want to adapt, and can say "don't worry, the story is complete already", you can be sure they will get a blank check to do whatever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Majorian posted:

Nah, most people who aren't extremely online like it. Guaranteed.
My local news did a segment on how much people hated it.