Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Were the leaks ever confirmed? (The ones where the dragons go to dragon college, if there is any confusion)

Also, I'm glad this national nightmare is soon over and I hope a giant steps on some more people

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Whoopsie daisy, sorry I'm new to the internet. I edited my post

Also, still hope a giant steps on some people

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

Full results here.

audience members p sure jon and dany will end up on the dumb throne by the widest margin, though 15% of millennial think the throne will be destroyed

These are the graphs that the committee used to write the scripts

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ok, I'm watching this garbage now. Peter Dinkalage looks like he wants to die. I'll report back as soon as I know more

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bran looks like he just turned forty and going through his first divorce. Couldn't they find a child actor to play him? Dude will start balding soon and still playing a ten year old

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Show: You want a good woman, but you need the bad pusseeeey

Goon(on the Something Awful forums): oh, the poor woman has vaginitis! I just love this show :downs:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Harton posted:

Seriously season 2 alone should have shown everyone what absolute nonsense we were heading towards. Just turn off your expectations and enjoy the only conclusion your gonna get to this 20 year farce.

Yeah, but this is HBO and the most expensive show in the history of mankind. HBO puts out fantastically written and acted shows all the time so they are absolutely capable of doing this right. FFS, goons were solving all their plot troubles itt for the last few seasons while shitposting on the toilet. You can't tell me a hired professional writer can't do it with a couple of months time.

At this point it's probably fair to assume that the wet garbage writing is some kind of political statement or art project.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IRC it was heavily implied that the Maesters were slowly poisoning the dragons and that's why they died out.

It really makes me sad to think that we are never getting a resolution or some kind of closure for the story. I have such positive feelings about the books and reading them as a child :(

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

There's a ton of loose threads that Martin wasn't going to sew up either.

I don't think anyone is expecting that. Any kind of closure for the main plot and the characters would be fine at this point.

I think Grum was really shook from the poor reception that DWD and AFC received and got a lot of performance anxiety about releasing a masterpiece. Now, ten years later, people would welcome absolutely anything with open arms.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not sure what your point is. People want some kind of closure for the main characters, the plot in Westeros and the approaching conflict with the Others.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I'm happy to get closure for the main characters and the big plot from the show.

Are you kidding me? The show characters are a lovely fanfic of an even shittier fanfic someone wrote about the show. You really think Cercei will end up sitting on the Iron throne? Or that the Others will turn out to be generic evil comic book ice elves #259 with no motivation? Or that Littlefinger will be dicking around in Wintefell for a year, do nothing and then be killed by Arya in the dumbest possible scene? That Danny or Jon will turn out to be the Arthurian heroes of the story? None of the characters even had any kind of real, sensible character development since the show left the books behind. It's all just a garbled mess

e: gently caress, I signed my post

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 16, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sydin posted:

This is a couple years old but apparently Both Rome and GoT cost ~$10M an episode on average. That said GoT is far, far more popular so it's probably much better at justifying its cost.

Also didn't the Targs have dragons around all the way up till the very end, even if the last handful were pitifully small and weak? Granted I'm sure the occasional shot of baby CGI dragons in a pit somewhere is probably cheaper than How to Train Your Dragon sex scenes. Or maybe you set it in Essos and don't need any of that poo poo period.

The spin off show is set thousands of years before asoiaf AFAIK. there were no dragons in Westeros, but a shitton of other stuff they can blow their CGI load on like rideable spiders, snarks and grumpkins(whatever the gently caress that is)

In any case, they are making mad money with this show and have been begging the show runners to do another season, but everyone associated with the actual production of this tire fire wants it to just be over cause they are burned out

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sethsez posted:

No because he's never going to finish the books.

I know the books are dead. Doesn't an unfinished story still have a future tense though? How does imagination work?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Yes to Cersei. No to the Others. Probably something like it for Littlefingers but it'll be like Sansa and Harry the Heir or Sansa and Robin figuring him out instead of Sansa and Arya. I'm not sure Dany and Jon are going that way in the show even. Whatever happens to the core cast (Starks, Lannisters & Dany) will broadly be how the books would end if the books ever got written.

How does Zerzey end up on the Iron throne? How does that make any kind of sense in the context of the story?

Even if you were right and everyone ends up exactly the same way as on the show(which I don't think is even remotely possible with how much they changed) you are still left with no story of how they got there. That's a huge part of the closure people want. Like, what happens to Arya in Bravos? It's sure as hell not a comic book fight with Terminator: The Wife and then Jaqen H'Gar smirks into the camera and says finally, a girl is no one. Roll credits :wtc:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Every TVIV thread needs that one guy who regularly kramers into the thread to point out the obvious point that mental diarrhea like Adam Sandler movies make a lot of profit. They are like a thread mascot

e: also, someone please post that one Bors comic about people shockingly allowed to criticize society, despite participating in society

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sethsez posted:

Which is probably why GRRM has been unable to finish anything in years and the last two books were mediocre with good bits here and there. This is where everything was meant to end up (everyone involved has already said they knew how the story was going to end and the basic path to get there) but HBO were willing to just hit each plot point however they could, while GRRM is incapable of leaving anything behind or wrapping anything up so we just get two books of aimless wandering followed by nothing.

Cersei was always going to sit on the Iron Throne, Dany and Jon were always going to end up together, the only difference is that HBO has a schedule and a shitload of contracts to honor while GRRM has the world's most patient publisher, so GRRM can take all the time in the world to try and write himself out of all the various corners he's in while HBO has to just blow up some plotlines and move poo poo along because Bran's actor isn't getting any younger.

Yeah, if Grum is really dead set on hitting plot points like Cercei being on the throne then he was never gonna finish the books in a hundred years. I have no idea how you could get there in any sensible and satisfactory way.

I mean, she could still get a moment where she crowns herself Empress of the world from her Führerbunker in King's Landing before they drag her out screaming and kicking, but not actually rule a functioning kingdom. Maybe she gets to be queen of the post-apocalyptic wastelands, ruling over corpses and ashes?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

The Starks arcs are the opposite of Jaime's in the books, but the show has cut that aspect.

Cat is an undead vengeance zombie, Arya is a faceless man. Sansa is a Littlefinger. Rickon is a cannibal. Bran is half tree.

They feed parts of Jojen to Bran IRC so he is either a cannibal or a carnivorous tree

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

porfiria posted:

I haven't watched the show since season 3 (but I have read all the books, God help me). Is Cersei supposed to be an evil mastermind now? Did she fall into a pit of mastermind chemicals or something?

Yeah, she is wearing evil black leather suits now like in comic book movies and she got her revenge on everyone and defeated everyone and sits on the iron throne and rules the seven kingdom (minus the north) with an iron fist. She also just bought a huge army and currently tries to assassinate Jamie. I'm not kidding about any of this. Stay away from this garbage fire. Run.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

porfiria posted:

What happened to the Tyrell and Martell armies? Weren't they the biggest in the Seven Kingdoms?

She outwitted and destroyed them.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Patchface is a load bearing plot element in the mermen plotline so you can't just remove Stannis. You idiots

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

esperterra posted:

lmbo

For me it was more him inexplicably taking his wife and child to battle with him when he very pointedly makes them stay safe at the wall w/ Melly Sanders in the books, and it just snowballing from there. Him then burning Shireen is p hilarious when the Theon chapter released from Winds has Stannis specifially giving orders to make sure she is put on the throne should he die in the battle w/ the Boltons.

imo Melisandre is going to burn Shireen at the wall after having a vision about Stannis or Jon needing it probably. Or sacrifice her to bring back Jon idk

If Gurn ever had any intentions of letting Stan burn Sheireen, he has long dropped that after seeing how garbagly the show has executed that scene.

Also, yeah, I think Melisandre was supposed to be the one burning her. But it has been a very long time since I read the books

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

He will never finish his other book. Ever.

No poo poo, Sherlock. Now solve the case of whether they gonna put out new Columbo episodes soon

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

No need to be a huge prick.
What I'm saying is that he's not re-doing it because of the TV show, he's just never going to do it.

He clearly set up lots of poo poo in the books where we can be reasonably sure that it is supposed to happen sooner or later and there is nothing wrong with discussing that. Like, Jon being Ray Garr's son was called by fans years before the show even started.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

esperterra posted:

I lowkey do believe Winds will come out at some point, even if it's just a collection of whatever chapters GURM finished released after he kicks the bucket. It's Dream of Spring that is definitely never going to exist.

I think he's gotten a little bitter over the years about the fans constantly harassing, verbally abusing and demeaning him for no reason so he said he will take his manuscript to the grave with him. He's such a whiny little bitch. Release the books already, you rear end in a top hat

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

Here's where all the major characters are in the books as we last saw them. It's a real bummer.

Daenerys: captured by the Dothraki after fleeing Meereen

Jaime: being led into a trap by Brienne

Brienne: leading Jaime into a trap, after being coerced by the Brotherhood Without Banners

Jon: stabbed to death by the Night's Watch mutineers

Davos: heading to Skagos to find Rickon

Melisandre: at the Wall, still faithful to Stannis

Stannis: reported dead outside Winterfell, actually not

Theon: Stannis' prisoner after fleeing Ramsay with Jeyne, Ramsay's wife who was presented as Arya Stark to legitimize the Bolton's hold on the North

Asha (Yara): Stannis' prisoner after being defeated in battle by Stannis' forces

Ramsay: reported to have defeated Stannis outside Winterfell, actually didn't

Tyrion: outside Meereen, infiltrating a sellsword company to get an opportunity to meet Dany

Jorah: ditto above

Cersei: recently released from prison after completing her walk of shame

Margaery: still in prison for her alleged adultery

Sam: recently arrived at the Citadel

Bran: beginning his tutelage under the Three Eyed Crow, making his first forays into seeing the past

Arya: killing one of the men on her list in Braavos after spending time in a theatre company

Sansa: meeting her alleged groom-to-be Harry in the Vale, still posing as the bastard Alayne.

Littlefinger: grooming Sansa in the Vale

Varys: murdering Kevan Lannister while spouting his dogmatic belief in the leadership of the pretender Aegon

The Hound: reported dead, actually alive and at peace among a group of monks

Tommen: still king

Euron: preparing to invade the Reach using blood magic

Night's King: a myth

IRC, the Night's King in the book is some random legendary figure who banged an Other or something a couple thousand years ago. It's not the same character as on the show. I don't think we ever learn if the Others have a leader in the books or what kind of societal structure they have in general. They might be Hippies or, even worse, Ancaps

e: someone please post that devian art image of the Night's King banging the Other on the wall and blue light beams shooting from her orifices or something

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 21, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I think the show has definitely improved on the books by showing the Others earlier and constantly reminding us of their threat. Particularly having Jon at Hardholme and showing it rather than having him receive a series of notes saying "poo poo bad, yo".

The show has made sure the viewer is never in question that the Others are the overriding end-of-the-world threat, whereas the book series really just reminds you occasionally that they exist.

I like the book Others better. We get a slow& subtle show-don't-tell exposition of them over several books. We learn that they are an ancient society and have been dealing with humans for thousands of years(including banging them). Then rear end in a top hat Mance Ryder got on a power trip, broke the truce and started violating their lands to dig for his stupid artefacts so that he could march south. The strife between them and humans got so bad that the Others decided to evict them from north of the wall(which was probably always completely their territory, according to the treaties. they are in their rights to do it.)

What we know about the Others in the show: They are blue, they are angry and they want to kill everyone. Why? Why now? Who gives a gently caress, they are blue and they are angry and they won't take this no' more! They are fed up!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Karmine posted:

They were created by the children of the forest to prevent the spread of the first men. They failed and the first men (and their descendants) took over control of the entire realm and built a magic wall to keep them way the gently caress up north. Fast forward a zillion years and now a bunch of, effectively, first men gently caress up their arrangement with Craster and basically keep doing other annoying poo poo to them, until the Night King gets his hands on a dragon and can take down the Wall, in the hopes of finally completing his mission after thousands of years. I don’t understand what piece is missing here.

Most of what you have written is contradicted by the show. The White Walkers have been living with the Wildlings in peace for thousands of years. Craster's arrangement is only a couple decades old and it was only violated after the White Walkers started raiding Wildlings and after the Battle with night's watch in S2(?). As far as the show is concerned, there is never any mention of strife between humans and Walkers before their attacks start. Also, there is never any motivation given for them to go south of the wall. It's not like they are still loyal to the Children(they hate their guts).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I guess technically Sauron lived in peace with Middle Earth for thousands of years too.

The White Walkers are the standard 'evil magical foe who's been gone longer than people remember but is now coming back for magical reasons,' GRRM adds shades to that but he's not going to turn it into some completely different thing where they are Actually Good, this isn't some moronic 'hey what about all the nice engineers who worked at the Death Star when the rebels blew it up' story.

They haven't been gone. Craster has been sacrificing to them for decades and there are all kinds of hints that arrangements like that have existed earlier at various points in history. They were just sticking to their own territory before Mance(or something else) provoked them.

The only force of evil that we have seen in the books are all the lovely bickering nobles who have killed off a huge part of the population and completely devastated the land for their dumb inconsequential games(and that was one of the major points of AFFC). The Others haven't even done poo poo yet.

e: and Danny is the worst of all. She laid three entire huge cities to ruin and then hosed off, achieving absolutely nothing. All because she is batshit insane and has delusions of grandeur

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 21, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Danny's entire arc in Essos after leaving Qarth is probably a huge Iraq war critique. someone check out the dates, they should match

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goons are extremely obsessed with pedophilia

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I mean I would say more but everyone who still hasn't put me on their ignore list already knows my opinion of this show

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

It's been stated many times in this thread alone that she didn't use a body double.

I've been seeing pictures of her at 18+ drum n bass gig for years, i don't understand this poo poo. Half the disney kids have had their tits out since the moment they could legally get away with it.

I don't get it either and I suspect that opinions on this are gonna divide cleanly along a american/non-american line. The US is weirdly prudish about a lot of poo poo related to sexuality, i.e. it's something dirty, filthy and corrupting etc. Edd Cetarah

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Loved Thormund's story and act, the guy is way too good for this show. The Brianne knighting was also great and kinda moving.

Also, Jon's heritage is only a problem in the show where they have turned feudal succession into a huge yakety sax sketch and everything is dumbed down into Arthurian fantasy tropes. Jon doesn't have to take the throne and heirs often refuse to do that in real life or get passed over because they are lovely. The main point of dynastic succession is a continuity of government, not that the kid the queen popped out first gets to rule. That's dumb.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, GRRM is definitely not going to do anything with the big twist he’s been hinting at since book 1. It definitely won’t cause conflict.

Personally, I think Danny was supposed to go full on batshit insane in the books and Jon would have had to turn on her and try to force his claim. But they are not going that route in the show and Jon doesn't even want to rule the Kingdoms so his claim shouldn't matter much.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jon snow eats a watermelon

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

There's no reason the Night King can't learn how to use boats. He's a smart lad.

Classy too!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m sure the white walkers can use boats or that the channel between the two continents freezes in winter. It’s just that the other continent isn’t part of the story.

I also never got the sense that Essos had a very large population or that the cities were very large. Braavos seems nice, but what else is there? The part Daenerys conquered seemed kind of lovely and isolated by deserts.

Nah, the world is huge and Westeros is a backwater shithole in it. The world feeling very, very small in a show only thing.

Like, there is a Gurm Africa and Gurm China and they have their own poo poo going on. Gurm China has their own version of the Others and and the Dragons and Targaryens are originally from Valyria who had a huge advanced roman empire that controlled half of Essos. Westeros has always been a backwater. The Andals brought iron making to them from Essos thousands of years ago.

IRC there was no mention of Essos' involvement the last time the Others almost wiped everyone out so it's probably a local thing. The Children are native to Westeros only so they never had any beef with the East.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah, the father was asking for it, but lining all the POWs up in front of her dragon and threatening to murder them horribly if they didn’t agree to serve her was quite a tyrannical move — one that would have confirmed any of their worst fears.

Also, did they really betray her ally or just defeat them in combat?

Like the scene where Jamie raped Sir Zay in front of their son's corpse, I don't think it was meant to mean anything. It's just something that looked cool in someone's mind

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like to imagine GRRM having sex

Go on ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

I thought his self insertion character was Jorah Mormont because it sounds kinda like George R Martin said in a stupid voice with your mouth full

e: also an incel

Grum is not an incel though. As we learned in this thread, he got a urinary tract infection railing his girlfriend's rear end