Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

In the books its "The Others" and they're like some kind of ice-elves that have their own civilization and culture.

lol they receive no characterization or backstory whatsoever in the books, the show has actually done slightly more on that front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

how do people get this far into the show if they think an episode like that was just pointless filler?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

Since I'm on my "The GoT old days" kick, one other thing I liked but that I feel has been missing from more recent seasons was how injuries persisted and influenced the story. The book had some things the shows didn't like Jon getting his hand burnt to gently caress and never being able to move it right afterward, or Tyrion's battle injury costing him a good chunk of his face, and of course the show had things the book had like Bran getting crippled as gently caress, Jaime losing his limb, Theon losing his other limb, etc. It was interesting to me because it felt like something that would reasonably happen in a world as violent as GoT (and something that happens all the time in real life but curiously rarely in stories).

Maybe I'm forgetting stuff (always a possibility), but I haven't really seen that since season 4. Probably one of the best contenders for that was Jorah's greyscale, but Sam gave him an extreme exfoliation so he's fine now.

arya should have been permanently blinded imo but to be fair she got her eyesight back in the books as well

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I thought the initial reveal of Jon's parentage in season 6 was handled really well but then they had to do it again with Sam and Bran in season 7 in case people didn't get it the first time, which apparently (anecdotally, at least) a lot of people didn't

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

IncendiaC posted:

Clarke's best performance outside of S1 was the S3 scene where Dany smugly tells that one slavemaster to gently caress off in Valyrian and commands her dragon to burn him alive.

that's because she basically plays the entire character as smug but that is the one scene where the smugness works

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I swear I read somewhere that Ghost is gonna play a larger role this season but that could also just be wishful thinking

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Opferwurst posted:

He's such a whiny little bitch.

you should try reading your own posts sometime!!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

please include a trigger warning before posting olly

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

bran and the night king are gonna have a scene together in the godswood and that's where all the white walker backstory exposition is gonna happen

or not idk

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

sansa v dany scene was good by the way, especially because I had heard before the episode officially aired that they just ended their conflict in that scene which is pretty clearly not the case, so it was a nice surprise that it ended the way it did

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

This also fascinates me. I'm sure plenty of people who complain about it complain because the show's gone in directions they don't like, which I get, because I felt that way about Hannibal season 3. It's for those people who seem to have not enjoyed the show for a long time that I don't get. I mean, I have enough of a problem finishing shows I actually like. And even when a show starts going in a direction I don't like (again, like Hannibal season 3), I just, you know, stop watching, because I don't have the time or inclination to watch a show that bores/upsets me. What attracts a person to watch a show that just makes them so angry all the time?

people who willingly post on the something awful forums already have severe brain damage so I think it's just something you have to accept for what it is

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

well anyway I thought the little girl in Davos's soup kitchen scene was adorable. sounded like a chipmunk

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Well, that sure was 2+ hours of various characters talking to each other.

gosh!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

can’t wait to watch all of our friends fighting a bunch of kick rear end skeletons next week

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

none of you complained when they showed 8 year old Rickon bust a nut

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

will there be a hot pie sex scene

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Was Theon forced to perform cunnilingus on Sansa in the show? Or was that just a book thing with fake Arya

lol poo poo I forgot about this. no it's not in the show

e: oh god now I'm remembering that something happened with the dogs too

romanowski fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 24, 2019

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Doltos posted:

Cersei is a weird one. I want to like her because she got the short end of the stick in her life

I'm sorry, what?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

not the phrase I would have used but I know what he meant

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

The only real way for it to end is for them to do some kind of hivemind deal where once you kill the Night King the rest of his army stops working at collapses.

haven't they already said several times that this is how it works?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

yeah and I'm pretty sure they've also literally said in dialogue, more than once, that killing the night king will stop the entire army of the dead. like that's the whole point of using bran to try to draw him into the godswood or wherever. not sure how someone could miss that

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I will be legitimately surprised if Jorah doesn't die this ep

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

killing arya in this episode would be anti-climactic for her character imo, unless her faceless men training pays off big time before it happens

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this episode was incredibly disrespectful to ghost and I will not be watching the rest of the show as a result

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Majorian posted:

Hey, dog’s alive.

thank god, guess I'll give the rest of the show a chance

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

teagone posted:

Theon's death was the best thing about the episode imo. His redemption arc easily has had the best payoff so far.

agreed this was a really good moment but also like dude if you had just stuck around for another 30 seconds you'd have been fine

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I think jorah's death would have worked better if it had been to protect lyanna because then he could have been redeemed in the eyes of his family but on the other hand lyanna getting wrecked kind of ruled too

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You mean like all the Freys?

the freys disappear entirely for two seasons so not really, no

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

romanowski posted:

the freys disappear entirely for two seasons so not really, no

on the other hand the night king shows up in like three episodes

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Tehran 1979 posted:

Nobody said it did you insufferable sperg. They're mocking the show for turning into a poorly written pile of poo poo that has its characters forget pretty important info that was just stated in the previous episode up to and including making the safe room for the women and children a room full of dead bodies with not a single character questioning it. But please continue posting how much it "owned" and how everyone should've loved it.

my friend, you seem upset. you should make like the Night King and chill

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

was there a reason the night king had to specifically kill bran himself? I'm guessing no but I was hoping there would be some kind of revelation when it was just him and bran but then arya had to come in and ruin everything!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Majorian posted:

The NK wanted to destroy all generations of the Three-Eyed Raven so he could destroy the memory of all of human history.

I understand that but why not use his army of the dead to do it without ever entering Winterfell himself?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Red posted:

Bran possesses one of the best methods of tracking and predicting the actions of the Night King; wipe out Bran, and no one else on the planet has a clue about you.

I understand that but I wish the show had done just a little bit more to justify the Night King feeling the need to kill Bran personally

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Boogoose posted:

I've learned to separate the T.V show from the books a long time ago. It's worth pointing out that A Storm of Swords is clearly the last intended book of the series, as it is the only one of the initial books with an epilogue. It sets the final state of play of Arya going off to learn to be an assassin, Jon assuming control of the Night Watch, Sansa becoming Littlefinger's apprentice and Bran having adventures beyond the wall. It's about this time that it turns out A Song of Ice and Fire is tremendously popular and going to make bank, at which point further books and questionable plot points in the show appear.

not sure where you got this idea but Storm of Swords is just the intended end of the first act/half of the series, and the second half was supposed to be about Dany returning to westeros before the whole thing spiraled out of control

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Boogoose posted:

See, I don't think GRRM is that good of a writer. He wrote himself into a corner, and until the series took off was happy for that corner to remain. There is no grand plan.

You don't have to be a great or even a particularly good writer to have plans for future books, even if those plans are vague. I'm just saying that Storm of Swords is not "clearly" the last intended book just because it has an epilogue

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Boogoose posted:

I think it's reasonable to assume that GRRM doesn't have a clear resolution in mind. He's been on record as saying that perhaps the best thing to do between SoS and the more recent books was a ten year gap, to get all the protagonists in the right place. And then he gave that up, because it would have been undoable with the burgeoning industry that was live action game of thrones. I'd be inclined to take anything that was published pre-announcement that there would be a ASOIAF t-v series with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I don't think I understand what your point is; are you saying that GRRM handed in SoS to his publisher without the intention to write any other books in the series, even though it ends on a bunch of cliffhangers and loose plot threads? But then he wrote A Feast For Crows... why?

e: not to mention that the epilogue is itself a cliffhanger

romanowski fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 1, 2019

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

And you know they wrote this in. As if we needed any more proof that they loathe their own fanbase at this point. As far as needing to even share this at all, is directed clearly at the internet/book fans clamoring for Ser Pounce for that entire season or two.

is this post a joke or are you actually this delusional

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

She ate dany out in the books

that was a different handmaiden, missandei's only 10 in the books and GRRM doesn't do sex scenes for anyone under 13

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy balls I really don't get the raging hard-on so many people have for CinemaSins. Did it kill your dog? its just a dumb funny youtube channel, like all the other dumb pointless youtube channels. Of loving course its not infallible.

At some point everybody decided that CinemaSins has to be a serious critique and thus it is WRONG with a capital W. Its a stupid youtube video that tries to quickly cram in funny jokes with bell dings. Stop letting it matter so much. Its painfully obvious to anybody with much sense that CinemaSins is just looking for every little clip from a movie they can find that they can make a joke about. Why does that trigger you? Does RiffTrax also make you think about media illiteracy?

Does MST3K teach people media illiteracy? No, its a bunch of funny jokes about bad movies and has nothing to do with artistic interpretation.

At no point in time did CinemaSins say "these movies are all trash and sins are things that should never happen in film" y'all are inventing that yourselves and then getting upset about it. Its weird. Stop that.

Its like this weird thing where its cool to hate on CinemaSins because that proves you're a REAL movie watcher and not one of those plebeians.

CinemaSins really sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

What is humor? I do not understand jokes. What is sarcasm? Why are you saying things that are the opposite of what you want?

And comedians often invent stories that never happened about people who said things that aren't real. Or at the very least massively exaggerate. That's a crime?

Nah you're the fool treating somebody's stand-up routine like its gospel.

cinemasins doesn't have any jokes my friend