Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Binged re-watched seasons 1-7 the past ~2 weeks or so, finishing up season 7 by tomorrow night. First time I've done this for GoT. I thought it might be rough to get through, but the show plays out really well when viewed as a whole. Excited for Sunday :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

esperterra posted:

Being better actors might help too but lmao yeah the black hole of chemistry is great.

I think they're both way better in their GoT roles than anything else I've ever seen them in. And knowing what Emilia Clarke went through during filming a few seasons back is pretty insane. But yeah, their chemistry could be better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cersei gonna die giving birth to a dwarf.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I will be watching this sober and enjoying it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

This show has had 7 main James Bond movie actors. Theyve all been the best actors in the show outside of Rob's wife and theyre all gone and thats the biggest issue with current show.

I'm so happy Oona Chaplin is gonna be a main character in the Avatar sequels :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

Idk about a video but here's my recap: Stark kids are now superfriends and back in control of Winterfell after killing Ransey and Littlefinger. Jon and Dany are banging. Euron wants to bang Cersei and is in her service. Night's King has a zombie dragon and just melted the wall. Dorne and Highgarden are supporting Dany. Dunno what's going on with the Vale and the Riverlands are hosed. Wildlings are in charge of The Gift (the lands just south of The Wall)

I think that's everything

Highgarden got hosed by the Lannisters, and House Tyrell was literally wiped off the map as a result so I'm pretty sure they're not in play anymore. Dorne is currently leaderless after Ellaria was captured by Euron; she's still being held prisoner in King's Landing. Maybe Dorne still pledged to Dany, no idea. The Vale is probably still pledged to House Stark even after Littlefinger got ghosted because gently caress Littlefinger.

[edit] In addition, Euron hosed off overseas to go hire the Golden Company to fight for Cersei after the bulk of the Lannister forces were decimated by the Dothraki and Drogon. Everyone else is pretty much converging at Winterfell: Jaime's currently headed north after Cersei told him to gently caress off, likely to help hold Winterfell against the dead. Guess Brienne, Pod, and maybe Bronn will be there too. Jon and Dany are currently sailing towards White Harbor with the Unsullied, to later meet up with the Dothraki at Winterfell.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 14, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheRat posted:

He didn't just capture Ellaria, he destroyed their fleets. Dorne is basically out of the game.

That wasn't the Dornish fleet, that was the Iron Fleet loyal to Yara that got destroyed by Euron. Only Ellaria and the sand snakes travelled to Dragonstone; they then hitched a ride back with Yara and Theon.

[edit] Although, the plan was to use Yara's ships to transport the Dornish forces. So while I'm pretty sure Dornish forces are still intact, they don't have a quick way to get to King's Landing at the moment.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 14, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SimonChris posted:

It just occurred to me how lovely it is that they didn't even try to negotiate for the release of Ellaria when they went to talk to Cersei. Their ally is being tortured in Cerseis dungeon as they speak, and no one even mentions her.

Yeah same lol. They totally forgot about her and Dorne. Whoops!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

They probably assumed she was dead, which you think they would have learned not to do by now given how much “I thought you/they were dead!” stuff is in s7

Varys did report they were either dead or captured, but he also has to still have had some spies in King's Landing who would have seen Ellaria and her daughter were alive when they were brought in by Euron and paraded through the streets.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SimonChris posted:

Yeah, you would think they would at least ask about her.

Also, the Sand Snakes are all bastards, so there is no way Ellaria is the official ruler of Dorne. Surely, the actual ruler is some noble lord, who was simply allied with the Sand Snakes, and who would still support Dany's claim?

Nothing about the Dorne plotline makes any sense, really.

Bastards are treated differently in Dorne.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

9PM eastern

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There's also the dude in the play who thinks he has 2 warts on his dick lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

What time does this air mountain time? Everything I see onlines says 9pm but doesn't give a time zone.

9pm eastern, so 7pm mountain time

[edit] beaten like Theon's dick. Oh wai...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

During the re-watching I think Jon will become like Benjen, he'll start turning undead but then someone will stop it and he'll become the next benjen. And, Sansa will win the throne.

This is way too optimistic. Everyone is going to die except Jaime and he will raise his dwarf son named Tyrion in Braavos. The Night King will sit on the throne in Westeros.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Say what, now?

Her brain exploded and she almost died. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/emilia-clarke-a-battle-for-my-life-brain-aneurysm-surgery-game-of-thrones

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

The live thread immediately speculated that he was up all night drawing that poo poo himself, so the next morning he could be all like Hey Dany look what I just :airquote: ~discovered~,

Lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drogon's gonna get ripped apart by giant wights.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Live for me on HBO GO

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Slick new opening :stare:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Galvanik posted:

What happened? I hadn't heard anything about her having trouble on set.

She almost died from suffering two aneurysms. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/emilia-clarke-a-battle-for-my-life-brain-aneurysm-surgery-game-of-thrones

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lol gently caress off Euron.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lmao, Bronn gonna get an STD.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Theon did a thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So with what money is she paying these Mercs because she is flat broke as was a crucial plot point a few seasons ago

Guess the writers forgot.

Tyrell gold bruh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gendry needs to fashion some armor and saddles to throw on the dragons tbh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aggro posted:

No one asked for Gendry Arya shipping

They've had googly eyes for one another for a while now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Poor Sam :smith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aww poo poo. Mic drop time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The face of someone who hosed his aunt.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wait, that was it? That loving flew by.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

13Pandora13 posted:

So like, what's literally anyone's plan for breaking this news to Danerys, and how do they plan on backing up such a claim?

They could write to the citadel to get a copy of Sam's transcription. Unless that was one of the books Sam ganked, then that's all the proof they need I think.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

ugh, I didn't even consider Jaime meeting Bran and Dany. This show is just ridiculous fanservice.

I personally don't mind it. I said the same about season 7 too. Give me all the fanservice, I want it. I want all my heroes — and antiheroes — to meet up and fight fantasy medieval zombies. Building up six seasons of all the good stuff, now gimme those sweet LOTR-esque battles and dragons fighting zombies and poo poo in the payoff.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Good lord that episode was lame. Two years for a bunch of useless exposition.

Only five episodes left some poo poo better happen soon

Next week's episode is just under an hour again, so maybe more exposition. Episodes 3-6 will be ~80min long. The battle at Winterfell is said to be bigger in scope than the Helm's Deep battle from The Two Towers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

JT Jag posted:

I've been saying this all along, all the dark, gritty low fantasy stuff from the first seasons is just buildup to a wild high fantasy finish

:agreed:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mnoba posted:

hrm, can you compare it to a fight in the marvel universe i don't know which one that is

MCU's action set pieces aren't all that great/memorable, so can't help you there. Sorry.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

High fantasy finish is fine, but the "THIS CHARACTER JUST HAS TO MEET UP WITH THIS OTHER CHARACTER AGAIN" that shrinks the universe ridiculously is the issue. The show has become all contrivances, while the book/early seasons were about how decisions and chance basically screw over everyone and life basically fucks things over.

The biggest example is that book Brienne couldn't find the Stark girls but met both of them almost immediately on looking in the show. That was a "cute" change at the time, but then EVERYTHING started happening as convenient as possible like that.

The universe was well built and expanded through the first several seasons. Now with every character's storyline converging towards one another, the writing would naturally bring more characters together. Sure it may be full of contrivances, but the universe is basically contracting rapidly into the finishing climax so I'm ok with getting everyone together by any means necessary, even if the writing isn't as strong as it was before.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I keep having to check that I’m not watching this episode at 1.5x

the pacing is so rushed

It definitely felt like it blew by, but so much happened.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

That's why I call it stupid fun. I enjoy seeing people meet back up, but it's oh so silly. As I said in my last post, it wouldn't be so bad, but the character merging they did means that everyone basically met everyone at this point, which makes it a ridiculously tiny world.

Just chock it up to fate and destiny, and enjoy the ride :cool:

It's been ~9 years, and this is the poo poo I've personally been waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

qbert posted:

What was the episode title? HBO Now just lists it as Season 8, Episode 1.

King's Landing Winterfell