Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Darth_Otis on Twitch said I should stream guitar hero and Im convinced. I had such a passion for the GH/Rockband series. And the idea of whether or not I can get these older (maybe techincally now even retro?) games on a modern setup for stream is a challenge in and of itself - as I gamer I find that challenge hard to ignore. So here I go :sora:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Assembled the items. Not pictured: Usb Rockband Mic, which is on my desk, and Guitar Hero Rocks the 80, which is on the next 'page' of the ps2 disc wallet thing.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Good luck skylark

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Rock Band drums ftw

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
It looks like none of the Guitar Hero / Rock band games are backwards comaptible on the Xbox One 😓. I thought this was kindof odd because this is the first time one of my 360 games hasn't worked on it; I googled and i guess it's cause 360 controllers don't work on Xbox One so there wouldnt rly be a point. So it looks like for the 360 games I have (GH3, Rock band 1, 2, and Beatles) I'll play on Xbox 360 hardware (console, guitar controller, and mic), and capture that for the stream.

THe PS2 side is a lil more mysterious... God knows the Ps3 and PS4 have zero backwards compatibiltiy at all (ps1 excluded in the case of ps3). So my current plan for the PS2 games I own is to rip the discs as isos to my computer and open them in an emulator, which I hope works. I have a ps2 guitar controller and a ps2->usb adapter Im gonna try. Failing that, hopefully an xbox 360 gh controller will work cause they're usb. Im curious to see how this works out; I just hope it does!! 🙏

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Cos I think it would be really cool to start all the way back from GH1 and see if my skills hold up. And hopefully if i do taht, I won't burn out on the series too much lol. But i dont think i will cause they have different songs and also rockband games have singing as well, which I also wanna do.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Rock Band drums ftw

Yeah.... I really like those a lot. Im considering if I should try to get the drums going too. The only reason im hesitant is literally just acuse theyre so big, idk if it would fit in front of my desk lol. But its another thing I will consider.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Currently ripping my Guitar Hero II disc to my hard drive. Oh, and becuase it's Tyool 2019? The size of a PS2 disc is basically nothing compared to the size of my TYOOL 2019 harddrive. Science bitches! :cheerdoge::science:

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

mysterious loyall X posted:

Good luck skylark

:regd10:

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Lmao.. THis is hosed up.... I cant even name a single Van Halen song, and theres a whole game of them. What on earth.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Skylark posted:

Currently ripping my Guitar Hero II disc to my hard drive. Oh, and becuase it's Tyool 2019? The size of a PS2 disc is basically nothing compared to the size of my TYOOL 2019 harddrive. Science bitches! :cheerdoge::science:

Neil Degrasse Tyson decloaking his Jedi hood and nodding wisely

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Neil Degrasse Tyson decloaking his Jedi hood and nodding wisely

Lmao

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
There is also Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Guitar Hero: Metallica, Rock Band: Green Day, and Lego Rock Band.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good luck OP. I still have my instruments and like 4 Rock Band games lying around but I haven't played in years.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Skylark posted:

There is also Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Guitar Hero: Metallica, Rock Band: Green Day, and Lego Rock Band.

Lego Rock Band is a must.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Ganbatte!!

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
K cool I have ripped my PS2 games Guitar Hero 1, Guitar Hero 2, and Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s to my hard drive, got them working in PCSx2, and configured my hardware PS2 guitar controller as input FTW. So those are all totally ready to play & stream. I havent actually set up the 360 stuff but I have the system, games, and controllers here so its just a matter of plugging it in. So it looks like i am officially good to game!!!! :regd10: Its tempting to play it now but im gonna save it til I stream... maybe Monday or something. A total of seven freaking games... quite epic. Also I have a fanmade guitar hero 2 total conversion mod called Guitar Hero: Linkin Park on my harddrive which I'll prolly try on stream too.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Found lkots of cool pics to share on stream as well -- here's a little teaser, just in case we have any StanXKyle shippers in the house?

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Skylark posted:

Found lkots of cool pics to share on stream as well -- here's a little teaser, just in case we have any StanXKyle shippers in the house?

Style ftw.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
That good yet complicated feeling you experience when you accomplish your weekend gamer goal midway through the first day of the weekend.

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

Skylark posted:

Also I have a fanmade guitar hero 2 total conversion mod called Guitar Hero: Linkin Park on my harddrive which I'll prolly try on stream too.

Skylark posted:

This is gonna be some good content

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Skylark posted:

K cool I have ripped my PS2 games Guitar Hero 1, Guitar Hero 2, and Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s to my hard drive, got them working in PCSx2, and configured my hardware PS2 guitar controller as input FTW. So those are all totally ready to play & stream. I havent actually set up the 360 stuff but I have the system, games, and controllers here so its just a matter of plugging it in. So it looks like i am officially good to game!!!! :regd10: Its tempting to play it now but im gonna save it til I stream... maybe Monday or something. A total of seven freaking games... quite epic. Also I have a fanmade guitar hero 2 total conversion mod called Guitar Hero: Linkin Park on my harddrive which I'll prolly try on stream too.

Oh hell yeah

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my wife shredded fuckin hard and I always played bass cause I was not very great but it was a good time. I think we got rid of all that stuff though

the steely dan dlc was great.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Skylark posted:

Lmao.. THis is hosed up.... I cant even name a single Van Halen song, and theres a whole game of them. What on earth.

jump, eruption, panama and hot for teacher. lets get a real challenge for me next time

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hope you don’t have issues with input lag OP, get ready for some hard feels in that linkin park mod

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lol

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I donated all my rockband stuff to a local thrift store last year and now I wonder how often they would get those and if anyone actually buys them.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

my morning jackass posted:

I donated all my rockband stuff to a local thrift store last year and now I wonder how often they would get those and if anyone actually buys them.

everyone one ive ever been to seems to have a set of rockband drums and a bin full of plastic guitars so im surprised they still accept them instead of turning them away like they do for crts

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Hope you don’t have issues with input lag OP, get ready for some hard feels in that linkin park mod

Im a little worired about that... I was gonna save doing any gameplay til I went live but maybe I should test the emu and make sure. Although I am hoping to start with the beginning of the series, if the emulator route isnt viable then I can go straight to 360, on which I'll be playing GH3, Rock Band 1+2+Beatles on the original hardware. I guess ill give the ps2 a quick go in an emu to make sure it works tn.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

that acctually captyures the live performance feeling perfectly: struggling to keep a multiplier together with a horrible sense of feedback on something familiar that now feels alien to you while becoming increasingly aware of how stupid it looks

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Its happening tonight... I tested GH on the ps2 emu and yall were right its messed up with default settings. I found some suggested tweaks that made it playable but its still a lil off... Im gonna give it a shot on steam this evening. I think theres a ps2 somewhere around here but it doesnt have hdmi out so i woudlnt be able to stream it anyway :S

So i'll just give emulation a shot when i get started, see how far i can make it, and then probably switch to 360 original hardware, which i just got all set up. Its cool how you can export the entire rock band 1 song list to your hard drive to play in rock band 2, i did that this morning. So i can jujst go straight to rock band 2/beatles on there, and also guitarhero 3.

I was feeling nsotalgic for the old ones but w/e.. Ultimately the new ones are way better anyway cause they have singing!! Which will be super fun

daddy anime
May 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Skylark posted:

Its happening tonight... I tested GH on the ps2 emu and yall were right its messed up with default settings. I found some suggested tweaks that made it playable but its still a lil off... Im gonna give it a shot on steam this evening. I think theres a ps2 somewhere around here but it doesnt have hdmi out so i woudlnt be able to stream it anyway :S

So i'll just give emulation a shot when i get started, see how far i can make it, and then probably switch to 360 original hardware, which i just got all set up. Its cool how you can export the entire rock band 1 song list to your hard drive to play in rock band 2, i did that this morning. So i can jujst go straight to rock band 2/beatles on there, and also guitarhero 3.

I was feeling nsotalgic for the old ones but w/e.. Ultimately the new ones are way better anyway cause they have singing!! Which will be super fun

Good stuff. Enjoy. I have lots of fond memories rockin’ out on Rock Band. My house in high school was the rockband house lol among other things and on Sunday nights kids knew to come through and play. Like 20-30 kids would sit and hangout and what not. Most just enjoyed watching the experienced ones go hard. My dad was into it and bought like all the dlc, lol it had like 300 extra somgs (or so it felt)

and yea, Expert drummer main here.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

me and my friend tried to smoke right in the room when grateful dead dlc came out and we blew the weed smoke out the window and it went out my window and directly into the living room window that was open upstairs and in the middle of china cut sunflwoer my dad came down raging and ruined Rock band Lol

daddy anime
May 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

HORMELCHILI posted:

me and my friend tried to smoke right in the room when grateful dead dlc came out and we blew the weed smoke out the window and it went out my window and directly into the living room window that was open upstairs and in the middle of china cut sunflwoer my dad came down raging and ruined Rock band Lol

lol

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Expert on all instruments here. Im tempted to set up the drums i just dk if itll fit between my new gamerchair and my desk lol.