Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
That was a godawful puzzle, but I have to admit that the messages folded in the pages is some neat 007 stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.pcgamer.com/another-vampire-the-masquerade-rpg-is-in-development/

Turns out the Council developers are now working on a VtM narrative RPG.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, thank gently caress, the author of the article hasn't actually played The Council, or is really good at pretending.

Anyway, after the two extremes, here's how most players see this chapter.

Thoughts on what happened? The trait I get in the end meant I'd explored every key thread for info.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I can't believe they didn't put collision on the body.

The decline in production values is pretty brutal, the models look way less impressive in conversations now.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've watched and voted. In future though, can people keep to the no spoiler rule in the OP? For instance: The death of the protagonist, even if it isn't the main playthrough.

Is it really a spoiler if it's in a video that was already posted? Not sure why you would read on before watching the video.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SelenicMartian posted:

I want to take a picture of this pit. It's so unsafe.
oh god I can hear the lines

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm disappointed Mortimer is a real dude

Though Gregory was doing some Weekend at Bernie's stuff

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

EasilyConfused posted:

Is it really a spoiler if it's in a video that was already posted? Not sure why you would read on before watching the video.

This is a good point.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

EasilyConfused posted:

I can't believe they didn't put collision on the body.

The decline in production values is pretty brutal, the models look way less impressive in conversations now.

Yeah I am pretty sad to see the production values dive like that. Was considering picking the game up after episode one. Now... less enthusiastic about it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Jade Star posted:

Yeah I am pretty sad to see the production values dive like that. Was considering picking the game up after episode one. Now... less enthusiastic about it.

It is a little disconcerting. As long as the story keeps up I'll maintain interest in purchasing it for myself sometime in the future. The last episode was enjoyable to watch.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Let's learn way too much about the Mortimer family.

Godoy's profile is the first indication of what the conference is about.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The skeleton with the severed hand was the architect that built the guillotine lock.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

The skeleton with the severed hand was the architect that built the guillotine lock.
Now we know who Mortimer used those tools on :science:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Alternate episode title: Godoy to you too, mate

Glad to see Louis go :thermidor: on Piaggi. :allears:
I also love Louis and Emily gossiping, it's pretty great.

Also note that the jars in the study are witch hazel, which has some mild medicinal properties, not regular hazel, which is mostly used for food. Also also, that was a lot of laudanum.

Feeding the bird cocoa beans is really more of a Louis IV move.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Solumin posted:

Feeding the bird cocoa beans is really more of a Louis IV move.
I finished the episode thinking that I want to see that

but at the same time, I don't want to see that

you know what I mean?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Phaeton didn't steal the chariot iirc, Apollo let him borrow it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Hannover wasn't a kingdom until after the Napoleonic Wars, and George III didn't give up his claim to France until the Act of Union of 1800. His style would've been "George the Third, by the Grace of God, King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, Archtreasurer and Prince-Elector of the Holy Roman Empire, Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg".

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It being a maze is not the worst part of the next puzzle.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Ooh! I bet the next plot twist is that all the servants look exactly like Mortimer when you take their masks off! It's not bad voice acting, it's a brilliant setup!

Also, Peru seemed like such a one-note character when he was first introduced, but he's the most intriguing one other than Sarah now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I believe the consequence of not spying on the two spear fans is simply not getting any info from them, with no other changes.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Crack theory so far: Louis' father is Yog-Sothoth or something nuts like that.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The interaction with George Washington in the gallery in the first video had me cracking up.

Mortimer seeking the Holy Spear is... worrying.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Crack theory so far: Louis' father is Yog-Sothoth or something nuts like that.

Or Mortimer, and Mortimer is Yog-Sothoth.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Mortimer is actually immortal, he just 'resets' his identity every so often to conform to mortal lifespan expectations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It'd be funny if Mortimer was just rich and crazy. The only evidence we have he's immortal is a bunch of paintings (and Mortimer paints), a bunch of paperwork with his signiture on it, and a family book (written by Mortimer and publicly displayed). Maybe he's just rich and well-connected and most of that crap was stuff he made up to satisfy his delusions of grandeur.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I'm getting a feeling that Morties might be chosen for succession and now I'm eyeing Louis suspiciously

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Man these guys really like their cliffhangers, don't they?

Also I think this emphasis on Greek myths shows the game's been made in Europe, I'd have said Southern but the dev is apparently based in France. I don't know about countries in Northern Europe but these sorts of stories you just sort of absorb in your childhood through cultural osmosis. And if you go to one of the fancy high schools that teach the classics, then you basically mainline this stuff for 5 years. When you read the plaque about the innocents I pretty much figured out who the culprit was from memory.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jade Star posted:

Mortimer is actually immortal, he just 'resets' his identity every so often to conform to mortal lifespan expectations.
That seems to be the implication when Louis is finding documents in a secret room that were signed hundreds of years ago but seem to be signed by the same person

Also this entire game is basically the Illuminati Chat Room

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
When they had the dialog choice for Louis to voice his thoughts, there was a couple of options and Mortimer being immortal was one. And I bet it was a silly option which Emily would mock Louis for, but I also bet it could have been there to bring up the idea, mock you for it, and dismiss it so that it could be the right answer later on.

Maybe. Hold my tinfoil hat for me.

Extra tinfoil theory incoming: Mortimer is looking for the spear of destiny because he is immortal, and only something like the spear that killed jesus can kill him. And he either wants to make sure he knows where that spear is, or he's tired of living forever and wants to die.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The holy spear is supposed to guarantee victory to the wielder. You can see why Mortimer, who is trying to influence world events, would want it.

Or it's the only thing that can destroy Yog Sothoth.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Thinking about it, I'm fairly certain the book Louis was reading during the Medusa puzzle was the LIMC (Lexicon Iconigraphicum Mythologiae Classicae), aka The Great Big Book of Greek Myths. I used that for my BA paper on Medusa, and it had sections in English, French, Italian, and German. The books are seriously expensive, but full of tons of knowledge on pretty much every Greek mythological figure. Mortimer having one or all the volumes would definitely speak to how disgustingly rich the man is.

As to the myth of the Minotaur, Daedalus, and others, in some myths (I think the one by Hyginus or Ovid, I can't be bothered to go digging for the author right now), Pasiphae was cursed by Poseidon because Minos refused to sacrifice the bull like the video said, but also that she asked Daedalus to help her get with the bull. Daedalus made a wooden sow that Pasiphae could climb into, and that's how she ended up pregnant with the Minotaur. Minos found out that Daedalus helped and was pissed and so Daedalus had to flee Crete and go to a different island altogether.

My out there guess for Mortimer is that he had gotten his hands on the Al Azif centuries ago, used the dark power to become immortal, regretted it, and is now trying to off himself. Meanwhile Holm wants the book so he can live forever or something, but Sarah's read a chapter from it, lopped off her hand, and made sure no one could find it.

It's interesting that she doesn't seem to remember her own son; either she's gone totally bonkers, or she's disoriented from wandering around the island and probably not eating or sleeping enough. Or both, I suppose.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ah, happy to see this being LP'd here. I think it goes some interesting places, and I'm interested to see how different the outcomes can get, considering I've only played it through once. Episode 2 is the worst with all its godawful puzzles.

Edit: Also, had no idea you could get yourself killed in the trial scene. Hah.

Edit 2: Huh. I also didn’t know anyone other than your mum can appear at the end of Episode 2. Looking at those dress shoes I’d guess it’s Washington? But it really could be anyone.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 2, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ep 1: Janky animations and iffy VA but OK.
Ep 2: Typos aplenty and orbiting dialogue camera.
Ep 3: ... I see the QA team was inspired by Bloodlines.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
The way the camera moves and pans around Louis when he's thinking or during cutscenes (the orbiting dialogue camera you mentioned) has always looked like the view of someone stalking and circling around him to me. It's funny how after getting relatively desensitized to the camera's stalking antics due to it repeatedly being used Sarah just flat out ambushes him during such camera behavior.

Similar for the other guy in Louis II except it's not a real scare as Louis hears the person coming just before the next episode cliffhanger comes up.

edit: Does the orbiting dialogue camera really only show up in chapter 2?

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 3, 2019

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Wait, the orbiting dialog cam was scripted in game? I thought that was Selenic moving a free floating camera.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I was moving it, yes, they completely forgot to properly place the camera and lock out the controls.

The have more "high quality" cutscenes in Ep 3.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 4, 2019

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

What version are you playing? I feel like when I played it on PS4, it was nowhere near this broken.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's the PC version.

And The Council is actually about the USA.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Looks like Emma has already turned up, would be my guess.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A Democratic Superpower :911:

Also, a missed French Revolutions joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wow. The PC version is definitely a lot more broken than the PS4 version. I had a couple of graphical glitches in my playthrough, but nothing more than that, and definitely nothing game breaking.

(As an aside, I am genuinely impressed at how differently this can play out based on seemingly insignificant things in previous episodes.)