Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Unless there's another plot twist that Mortimer is a time traveler, his ideas are completely anachronistic, demon or no demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

"Hey lets encourage free thought so we can control people.

What could go wrong?"

Edit: The more I think about Mortimer's plan the more awful and stupid it is. So he wants to induce science and progress and make people believe strongly in demons...but also have human scientists study demons to learn about their origin. How does this not end up with human scientists figuring out ways to detect and kill demons, backed by an angry populace terrified of mental control and valuing their individual freedom? From a demon perspective Gregory is absolutely right here. From a human perspective, the best way to win is just to support Mortimer so that he inevitably gets owned.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 5, 2019

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
It really feels as though this game doesn't know what it wants to be. The whole "being a demon that can read minds and control people while influencing a secret society council thing" could have been really cool if it had been the premise from the start, instead of being dropped at the tail end of the game with no real buildup. Uh, and also if it was more competently done, of course.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Covski posted:

It really feels as though this game doesn't know what it wants to be. The whole "being a demon that can read minds and control people while influencing a secret society council thing" could have been really cool if it had been the premise from the start, instead of being dropped at the tail end of the game with no real buildup. Uh, and also if it was more competently done, of course.
Yes and a major game mechanic introduced at the 11th hour seems to be wasted unless things pick up at the very end

I feel like this game should have stuck to the political intrigue instead of whatever this whole thing is

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cutscene skip, I love you.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

So a) I suspect Mortimer poisoned Holms with the tea and b) is Holms telling everyone they’re brothers now or did I miss where that was common knowledge?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Kitala posted:

is Holms telling everyone they’re brothers now or did I miss where that was common knowledge?

That threw me as well, I don't remember that being said until the demon reveal.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Kitala posted:

So a) I suspect Mortimer poisoned Holms with the tea and b) is Holms telling everyone they’re brothers now or did I miss where that was common knowledge?

I was just wondering about the brothers thing too. I think the devleopers might have messed up. Or everyone's brainwashed so thoroughly they wouldn't notice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kitala posted:

b) is Holms telling everyone they’re brothers now or did I miss where that was common knowledge?
I missed that too! Weird...

But that's not the dumbest reveal you can get out of Holm in this quest!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SelenicMartian posted:

I don't even understand that, is Von Wollner a regular human that is somehow Holm's child? Did the writers just screw up?

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

So, with everything else going on, could someone remind me what Elizabeth Adams was in relation to the other characters?

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Chaos Personified posted:

So, with everything else going on, could someone remind me what Elizabeth Adams was in relation to the other characters?

John Adams’ supposedly dead daughter that Sarah did horrible things to because Sarah thought Elizabeth was possessed. And at this rate also probably Mortimer or Holms’ daughter.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

You know, this had so much promise... and then they went the full David Cage. A political thriller would have been just fine.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Elizabeth, and who killed her, is explained at L2 Q12 12:55. She's from a family possessed by Jesus (who also wrote Al Azif).

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
So uh... quick tally... who on the island isn't a demon? Peru and Godoy? Godoy probably is too, its the demon in him that makes him so irresistible to women.

Oh and piaggi I guess, since he can be brain-jacked.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
This was never going to be a political thriller from the beginning. The game literally opens with two cultists being interrogated about the Necronomicon.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

This was never going to be a political thriller from the beginning. The game literally opens with two cultists being interrogated about the Necronomicon.

I thought they were going to be more clever about it. Have Holm and Mortimer be the same person, the place be secretly a poo poo-heap little island and everyone is charmed into thinking its this sprawling mansion. He creates conflict so he can eat the souls of those who die in battle. The servants are actually floating eyes who uses the optical nerve as a hand.

If you're going to drop Lovecraft in the first scene you can't have your monsters be so Milquetoast. I got blue balls from this story.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Lord Windy posted:

If you're going to drop Lovecraft in the first scene
Ah, also a Daemon-guided mythology devised to steer people off their trail! :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Watch the game poo poo on nearly all of the player's choices, today!

Actually, this is just the fart. The poo poo will come next video.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Nothing wrong with a little paranormal in your political. Hell, make the religious references ambiguous and you have the makings of a NY Times bestseller list maker that'll be forgotten in a month.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
One of my favorite parts is after each one of these little pep talks, the alpha asks Louis to stay behind and nobody ever thinks it's weird that it is always Louis and never anyone else.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Wait, the magic immortal demons can be poisoned to human form? What was the point of getting the drat spear if we can just spike Morty's glass of milk before bed?

I also don't get how some of the demon children are demons and the others are human. Mum and Prussian dude are human while Emma and Louis get the magic beans. But Emily also died in some of the playthroughs. So what makes a demon immortal? Louis was clearly immortal from the start since he is impossible to kill, yet no-one else is playing by the same rules.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
I don't think it's a normal poison. Mortimer says even to Louis IV that he should be able to resist dying from being poisoned or something to that effect but...

Mortimer also says something about there being certain types of things that can kill a Daemon... if the Holy Lance can do it too, then... it maybe it's like... the blood of Daemon Jesus Christ or something? Or some other artifact related to their father or another Daemon of religious significance?

The question is why that even kills Daemons to begin with. Mortimer said something about Daemons being roughly 'waves of sound' was it (or was that just their powers?)? In terms of physics? Maybe Daemons somehow interfere or cancel each other out? I'd have to rewatch a lot of videos and I'm not sure it's worth it, or if it'd help, let alone if the writers even kept it straight.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The poisoning would have been a lot more subtle if there were animations for anyone else drinking or eating things. (Aside from Liz and Louis in the first chapter.)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

(Aside from Liz and Louis in the first chapter.)
Also poison!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I wish I could stop time and rub my balls in everyone's face like that.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jade Star posted:

I wish I could stop time and rub my balls in everyone's face like that.
If you play Demon: the Descent, you can. It's a lot more coherent than this mess, and it's still about demons.

Real talk: Yes, DtD is really good. And yes, there is a power that lets you stop time...with only a few limitations to prevent people from destroying the action economy.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You now prossess Dracula's rib.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

SelenicMartian posted:

You now prossess Dracula's rib.
oh that's not a rib

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

This is so loving dumb

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

HiHo ChiRho posted:

This is so loving dumb

I know, right? :dance:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

It's a bit impressive that the game gets exponentially more stupid the more you see of it. In many cases, a second playthrough where you see the plot from different angles and learn more information about what's going on would clear up things that might seem illogical or appears to be plot holes or whatever. In this case though, every single bit of new information you learn seems to just add to the stupidity.

Also, the whole making a super big deal about people leaving Team Gregory seems a bit overblown, seeing as he only needs one single vote for the project to fail. I do love Washington sticking to his famous character trait of being the wiffle waffliest world leader in history though :allears:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Unpopular Opinion: This game knows exactly what it is and is all the better for it.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

But what exactly IS it, even? Even assuming the game is super self aware, I have a hard time seeing what it set out to do in the first place if that's the case. I can't deny it has a certain janky b-movie charm to it though.

Speaking of, the more I think about it the more amazing it is that Gregory was undone by his fatal flaw of "being so British that he can't stand the sight of seeing tea not be drunk". :iia:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Covski posted:

Also, the whole making a super big deal about people leaving Team Gregory seems a bit overblown, seeing as he only needs one single vote for the project to fail

I like the self-congratulatory "I swung the deciding vote in favour of Sir Holm" when that happened as soon as Emily opened her mouth.

e: I guess you're supposed to read that as 'I caused Holm to win, by whatever means' so they don't have to change the text regardless of whether you convinced her or not.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 12, 2019

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

But since Louis gets a vote too, Holm was in no danger of losing as long as he was certain that Louis wouldn't flip. AND, if he was worried about Louis betraying him in the first place, giving him the responsibility to whip the other voters into line makes absolutely no sense at all :psyduck:

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Covski posted:

But since Louis gets a vote too, Holm was in no danger of losing as long as he was certain that Louis wouldn't flip. AND, if he was worried about Louis betraying him in the first place, giving him the responsibility to whip the other voters into line makes absolutely no sense at all :psyduck:

Though from the sound of it, If they don’t have a united front, Mortimer will punish anyone who votes against him. Of course if this is his common practice, why would anyone go to his island unless they already were on his side.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Between the spears, the Al-Azif, the Al-Azif, the various daemon revelations, the murder option being increasingly taken all around, Morty acting on his family structure shakeup plans, it's pretty clear that this particular meetup is an unusual one.

Like plenty of these people have been to Councils before and with how everyone's all "you really think Mortimer would go that far" there've probably been disagreements and split votes in the past but things turned out fine. Elite power politics, you don't kill royalty, and so on, that kind of thing. It's Daemon family business spilling over that's causing the gloves to come off.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I like the way Morty handwaved away the first four chapters mattering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

It is pretty hilarious in a Matter-esque sort of way where an entire book of royalty game-of-thrones'ing each other comes to a dead stop when they get neutron bombed by a third party.

Still, this is very awkward and feels like they spent too much of their writing budget on "wait what the gently caress is this actually about" exposition rather than making the pieces fit together smoothly.