Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Buller posted:

Love that there was no text for Emilys sister, the masked servant man woman.

I suspect she was the Marchioness Emily became inseparable from but, well, we don't get told that in any way beyond the vague implication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Some incredible poo poo happens in this one... off camera. Also, I rant about the fart of a setting.

'When I saw your competence, Louis, I knew you were the one to succeed me!'

Also, I outline the most likely Vampire game they are going to make.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Oh man, I can't wait for the vampire game you described.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

is it bad I'd play that vampire game

The premise of everyone trolling you into thinking you're a vampire is comedy gold.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

is it bad I'd play that vampire game

The premise of everyone trolling you into thinking you're a vampire is comedy gold.

Isn't that the plot of that weird Nicolas Cage film that has him moaning and carrying a plank across an intersection?

E:
I didn't realize this game was French. Certainly this game lives up to the proud tradition of French adventure games by being completely loving insane and making GBS threads the bed at the end with incomprehensible twists. See: Urban Runner, Inca, Woodruff and the Schnibble, Gobliiins, everything else by Coktel Vision, or more recently "We, The Revolution".

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 17, 2019

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Feels like it would be harder to make this happen than not

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I also want to point out that the game's climax is two ancient demons fighting, and Mortimer's plan is to have 2 deaf guys fight his dad unarmed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm also in the middle of listening to the Revolutions podcast as well, I'm almost done with the French Revolution.

Once again, the game immediately contradicts itself by having Jesus say 'no family member can harm one another' but then Jesus says he's going to bury Mortimer alive. Good show.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It's a very I'M NOT TOOOOUUUCHING YOOOOUUU interpretation of not harming one another, appropriate for how petty they all are! They even have a name-engraved tomb ready to go, down in the basement!

What a fantastic mess of a game.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

There’s so much stupid in this ending, but I really appreciate the “my body is older than your body so let’s technicality it and say I’m ancient but you’re not.” Followed of course by the Louis IV ending where Mortimer talks about his regular body swapping habits.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Does morty try to help you out if you get poisoned but allied along his side the whole time?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
So Morty was going to reward your help by taking over your body at the end?

What a fucker.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

So Morty was going to reward your help by taking over your body at the end?

What a fucker.
I would be curious what he does in the Louis IV timeline since Louis dies, but the game doesn’t care so I guess we shouldn’t either

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
What the gently caress was this game

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've found it! I've found the ending where Mortimer has the mental faculties of a three-year-old!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
"For that I'm willing to get closer."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm so glad that the main purpose of the Al Azif was to distract Mortimer like it was Looney Tunes and get him close enough to shank him

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Wow, so many things to take away from that episode, especially "Louis II: More impressive than Augustus." Also, the fact that master manipulator Mortimer seems to expect Louis to be completely accepting of being killed, now that he's known about being a demon for all of a few hours.

Actually in general, for a race of immortal they all seem extremely unconcerned about their own kind dying despite it also being a huge taboo to kill each other, especially Grandpa Jesus when Holm is dying. Somehow it's kinda okay because he's going to punish Mortimer by effectively killing him too? Okay.

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012
The whole Mortimer thing makes no sense. He kills his kid to take over their body, but somehow this doesn't violate Jesus' no killing rule. And he's been doing this for his entire life apparently. Has no other demon noticed that he's been organically growing his own meat suits?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If Louis is buried alive, won't his human body starve to death and then he can fly off and possess people?

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Chaos Personified posted:

The whole Mortimer thing makes no sense. He kills his kid to take over their body, but somehow this doesn't violate Jesus' no killing rule. And he's been doing this for his entire life apparently. Has no other demon noticed that he's been organically growing his own meat suits?

Jesus doesn't know who Louis is when you meet him in the ether and I don't think Holm knows who we are as well until Mortimer lets him know, so I think Mortimer was breaking the rules with this practice as well. I guess it depends on how difficult it is for a Daemon to recognize a Daemon that doesn't know they're a Daemon if they run into one randomly. Sara presumably made Mortimer's body growing practice at greater risk of discovery when she stole away baby Louis, but she's an extremely competent secret society founder that can presumably keep Louis safe from Mortimer for the formative years of his life.

It seems likely likely that if Sara had not been rejected by Mortimer for not being able to master Daemon powers then Sara would have been possessed by Mortimer and the conflict with Mortimer and his family would play out in entirely unknown ways.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 20, 2019

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Rawkking posted:

It seems likely likely that if Sara had not been rejected by Mortimer for not being able to master Daemon powers then Sara would have been possessed by Mortimer and the conflict with Mortimer and his family would play out in entirely unknown ways.

So if demon power seems tied to the body, as seen by the rejection of Sarah and the training or Louis, how is Jesus so powerful in Elizabeth’s body?

I guess what I’m saying is I don’t think the developers thought out this demon possession thing.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Does Mortimer ever say the body makes him more powerful? I think he just said it was easier to get used to the new body, which could just mean that Mortimer views possessing a daemon's body with the same moral weight the other demons view possessing a human's body, which is to way with very little moral weight.

It seems like they thought this daemon stuff through pretty well to me, a shame that the plot in general, how incredibly late the daemon stuff is revealed, and the fairly pointless political maneuverings aren't the same. Like they came up with the daemon stuff first and then failed to execute it well in an actual game.

It's nice the endings of the other guests do depend on the choices you made in the game.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 20, 2019

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

If Louis is buried alive, won't his human body starve to death and then he can fly off and possess people?

They weren't very clear on what happens when you die in a normal human way. There's a lot of talk about how they can only be legitimately killed by a small number of methods but then Louis being killed by, presumably, regular poison, apparently makes him extremely dead, or at least enough that Mortimer isn't going to touch the body.

Really bold move to make you suffer through a complex puzzle (or lose an arm) to get the lance (correct one or otherwise) and then add a bunch of further requirements to be in a situation where they let you use it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Part of Mortimer going after only the most exceptional of his own children is probably that he can just keep on doing exceptional things, instead of having to pretend to be the family dumbass or whatever.

Also, Louis is supposed to be a talented but novice daemon (in practice, well we've all watched IV...), far from full strength, while von Wollner is part of the family (no indication that he's a daemon, so probably not fully inducted into all the secrets, but he's definitely in Holm's confidence). Doesn't seem unreasonable that von Wollner's capable of concocting something strong enough to even take down a young daemon who doesn't have a complete grasp of all their powers yet. Meanwhile, a daemon's extreme longevity and toughness is probably what allows immurement to hold one indefinitely, simply letting their passive durability work against them.

Basically,

Rawkking posted:

It seems like they thought this daemon stuff through pretty well to me, a shame that the plot in general, how incredibly late the daemon stuff is revealed, and the fairly pointless political maneuverings aren't the same. Like they came up with the daemon stuff first and then failed to execute it well in an actual game.
the daemon mechanics are thorough enough that there's really no need to, for instance, go all cinemasins "but the rules" when it's abundantly clear that Morty's the family rebel who's been plotting a big shake-up for a long time, and there's plenty of other parts that straight up fall flat on their face.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Everything at the end with Von Wollner was really poorly explained. He's clearly not a daemon, but he seems to know an awful lot about the occult and happens to be able to concoct a poison that will kill Louis

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I hope the sequel is better

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Everything at the end with Von Wollner was really poorly explained. He's clearly not a daemon,

Isn't he a daemon? I thought for sure Holm said Von Wollner was his son, the whole punishing him for trying to kill Louis bit.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Everything at the end with Von Wollner was really poorly explained. He's clearly not a daemon, but he seems to know an awful lot about the occult and happens to be able to concoct a poison that will kill Louis

He's one of the most experienced occult practitioners on the Continent, isn't he? Plus he probably has Holm to help him.

I lost track of this thread for a bit so I've had quite the wealth of videos to return to. That was..... well, it happened. And I don't know if I have much more to say than that.
I made a few predictions over the course of the thread and I'm glad they've all turned out to be very, very false. I don't think any of us could have predicted this sheer madness.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Maybe he is the son of Holms body and Holm took over the body after Von Wollner was sired so he is his "son" in that way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thotimx posted:

Isn't he a daemon? I thought for sure Holm said Von Wollner was his son, the whole punishing him for trying to kill Louis bit.
Yes but Louis regularly reads his mind and Von Wollner doesn’t react to it

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012
Sarah didn't react either when Louis reads her mind.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
drat, I'm finally back after a few weeks away and this is over. I'm eighteen videos behind, I'll try to catch up with this by the end of the week.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was only following this slowly, and well behind for a while, but then we got into the big turn in the story and I just rushed through to the end. It seems to me that they might have been going for a sort of Dan Brown story (with more of the crazy parts being real) but it just falls flat on its face.

The Spitting Image of Evil posted:

Louis de Richet waited. The candles above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons on the island. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Emmaly Hillsborrow were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Louis was a golden Order spy for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the intrigue and he said to mum "I want to be on the council mummy."
Mum said "No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS"
There was a time when he believed her. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the underground crypt of the Mortimer Island he knew there were demons.
"This is Peru" the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So Louis gotted his holly spear and unlocked the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the demons "I will glower at him disdainfully" said the gregorydemon and he started the confrontation battle. Louis spearied at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted The radio said "No, Louis. You are the demons"
And then Louis was a masked servant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I love this game and honestly wish more could've been done with it.