Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
itch.io seems to be a thing I'm hearing a lot about recently for small niche/indie games? Do they take a cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I really don’t care about the drm and I’m gonna buy the poo poo out of the game.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of U-boats, has Wolfpack received any updates yet? Or any further word about the solo/bots mode they mentioned?

Slow going on the Wolfpack front, the first patch hit steam and it’s mostly big fixes and quality of life stuff for multiplayer servers. The ability to kick people, put passwords on individual boats within a server etc.

Aircraft and bots seems to be their big priority for the first major patch so hopefully it doesn’t take too long.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Almost release date for Uboat.

I’m almost definitely gonna buy it, seems a little rpgish and the scope ballooned significantly since originally being “bomber crew but subs”.

But I’m still stoked, it will get me through till May 17th at the least.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Took me three days to get my key. Chased em up on day two via email and have yet to hear back about the rtw1 “discount” will have to keep an eye on my bank I guess.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Dammit, now I need to buy naval action.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Trip report:

Bought Naval Action, played for an hour and 45 mins then refunded it. Might potentially pick it up in the future if it's not like $60 AUD

I love the Age of Sail, I crave a realistic age of sail game and was hoping Naval action had improved somewhat since I last tried it years ago. Granted, I've only ever experienced low level play with both this and Pirates of the burning sea.

Buuuuut, I'm so sick of health bars. I desperately want an age of sail game that has a realistic damage model and flooding etc.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Even with bots its worth holding off. I was hoping planes and more enemy vessels would have come first since it’s extremely bare bones.

Had tons of fun with a friend figuring out proper targeting and underwater mapping with clocks but not worth playing more until there’s something to do.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I’ve been running into that issue in the new close combat.

Doing the combat mission thing where I make a save after I’ve finished my deployment since it takes so long.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

How micro-manage-y is Scourge of War Waterloo? I’m finally getting around to reading Swords Around a Throne and am itching for some Napoleonic gaming but pickings are thin. Still hoping that we get Ultimate General: Napoleon some day...

I still prefer take command over scourge of war.

But in the end I always go back to heavily modified Napoleon Total War to get my musket age fix.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Flavius Aetass posted:

I was thinking about doing the same again soon. What mods do you use?

I've got LME installed and it's great for single player but old now.

I'm having a look and the Napoleon Total War III mod is up to version 8.x now which is crazy so might have outpaced LME?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I liked take command: 2nd manassas too. I dont know why that game runs really well but their newer games run like total garbage

There was a infamous split between the devs, great write up on it here, though considering the programming guy continued to make scourge you think it would at least run.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2013/2/21/3996460/civil-war-mad-minute

Abongination fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 31, 2020

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Talking about Napoleon Total War made me go and play a bunch of it, it really is pretty with mods on still, especially the naval stuff.

Having just finished construction of the Turkish grant battle fleet I was itching to test it out, their only action so far had been capturing two 50 gun Russian ships to secure the black sea. The Austrian fleet has grown so large that their docks cannot contain it, time for a quick smash and grab.

Fight started well with lines facing off and me making moves to gain the wind.

However it quickly disintegrated into a confused melee.

Ships on fire, routing, surrendering and sometimes rejoining the battle.

But I've done it, the last two Austrian ships make a break for it, heavily damaged and pursued by my entire force, we've effectively doubled the size of the fleet with this engagement!

Wait.....what?

gently caress.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I desperately want to buy Ultimate Admiral: Age of sail but am going to try to force myself to hold off.

I’m so sick of early access games and might burn myself out before the full thing gets released like I did with civil war.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I cracked and bought Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail. From the guys that made Darthmod and Ultimate General: Civil War

If anyone was looking at picking it up I’d say hold off for a few months, ship to ship is a bit rough with some features being missing but the ground game is atrocious, you’d think after two entirely infantry based games they’d nail it but it plays terribly.

Not gonna refund as it’s pretty much all I want in a game, age of sail and musket coastal raiding etc. I hope they make good progress on it.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I bought ultimate admiral age of sail on release and regretted it. It’s come a long way since then and I would recommend it if you really enjoyed Civil War.

I find myself liking the land battles more then the naval stuff as some of the major naval engagements can take actual hours with no mid mission save.

They’ve just done a major overhaul on the engine in the last week or so and I’ve not given it a go since

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
A fun defense battle I played a while back in the British campaign in Ultimate Admiral: Age of sail

After a brutal defense I see fresh large french units entering the fray with drums of more in the distance, you can also see the loyalist french fleeing Toulon in the background of that shot.

Battlefield in the final seconds, barely held.

French guns just chewed me up and I didn't have the strength to push em between attacks.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I assume it's as grog lite as it comes but "A Total War Saga: TROY" is free for 24 hours on epic game store. Brand new total war game.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I’ve been playing a bit of “strategic mind” and think it plays pretty decent, having multi hex ranges for a few different units makes things pretty interesting.

The English voice acting is just awful though, I understand it’s a few of the devs who are obviously not native english speakers but it would honestly be better if it was just text.

Just listening to a flat, emotionless Hitler justify the invasion of Poland over here.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I bought the prominently advertised mobile game Pacific War from wirraway games goon.

If I ever get around to actually playing a mobile game I will post a review.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I've been playing Grand Tactician The Civil War 1861-1865 today. And what a god drat mouthful that title is.

Seems fun, there must be about 20 minutes of documentary style footage I've run through so far explaining the lead up to the war in a basic way with reenactors and everything haha. Game itself seems interesting but lacking in fleshed out features and quality of life stuff. I think this studio could employ a UI designer and fix the majority of nit picks I've had with it so far but grogs gonna grog.

I was feeling fairly secure along the virginia border as the confeds when I was blindsided bu a 100K plus army landing near Richmond. My recruitment has been taking a while and I've been focused on launching a few invasions west.

Screenshots!

Doomstack makes it over to me surprisingly quickly once I notice them

My defending force that I quick marched down....15k

My only other sizable unit, 20k. Being railed south and stretching my rail capacity beyond its limit

Disaster? We shall see

Abongination fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 3, 2021

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
1861: Virginia

Picking up from last time:

Confederate forces are caught offguard by a sudden union landing east of Richmond, as forces scramble to response the Union doomstack bypasses the hurried defenses at Richmond for reasons unknown and pushes south, closely pursued by the armies of the Shenadoan and Potomac, now numbering around 50,000 combined. A cav army being formed in South Carolina is desperately entrained north and thrown in the path of the rampaging Yankees.

The half formed cav army suffers badly on contact, Wharton's corp suffers 4000 casualties quickly as it withdraws before the host in a series of running battles, striking down few of the invaders in turn. They are pushed west and out of the effective battle for now. But they buy time, Major General Stanard and his 2,500 horse dismount and dig in on the railway leading up to Weldon Bridge.

It's at this point that I wonder why only the 1st Corp is engaging me and not the rest of the 100k men....and I realise. It's only a single corp and the armies HQ unit, the HQs just display the total men in the army, not the actual HQ unit! The other 60k men of this army are still struggling to get across to Richmond! I have almost 60,000 men now arranged around this 35k yankee corp!

Orders were quickly passed to the pursuing armies that enemy strength was far below expected, trumpets sounded as 50,000 grey clad soldiers charged into the defense of Weldon Bridge.

Casualties were almost even due to the punishment of the Cav corps but the Yankees break and begin taking heavy casualties on their long retreat north, I don't think these men will make it beyond the Virginian border.

However, In the north, close to 100,000 bluecoats suddenly begin pushing towards stripped defenses in an effort to rescue the beleaguered 1st Corp

As for the game, still enjoying it but it's quite far from finished. There is apparently a more in depth battle layer but this is my first major battle and every time I joined it would only give me access to the cav forces at the bridge and not the 50,000+ reinforcements. So I had to let the autoresolve figure it out.

The game also chugs way more then it should on my VR pc, even after dropping graphics.

145,000 vs 6....whoops

Abongination fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 4, 2021

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Just tried war on the sea and it suuuuuuuucks

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Is war on the sea better now? Seeing a lot of positive noise about it.

Played it right at release and it was dogshit.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Yer, Warplan didn't grab me either. I keep trying but something like wite or DC seems more in depth.

Warplan really feels like a boardgame and that might be some peoples cup of tea

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Yer, I believe it was mainly a morale thing. Being bombed of strafed with no way of hitting back is a killer.

Even with AA sights you're still chasing that needle in a haystack.

What you are doing is making life harder for the pilots trying to attack you though. Make them pull out earlier or fly higher etc. Lots of tracers is intimidating even in your fairly well armoured aircraft.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 3, 2021

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I had fun with age of sail.

They finally added an option to stop the enemy forces scaling automatically to always have a numbers advantage over your fleet.

Got a bit crazy in the end when the French would have lik4 three 120 gun and five 90 gun 1st rates.

Also mid battle saves for those insanely large fleet battles.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Il2 is real good now and regularly gets massive discounts.

Def check out the airgoons discord, if you can take off then you've mastered what you need to fly with goons.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
https://discord.gg/nYTKKQ5yuU

Should link to airgoons hopefully

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I bounced off hard on release, went back to it the other day to see what's improved and the game still needs a while in the oven.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
HoI is a great coop game in a way that many other games just don't offer right now. Conquering the world with a buddy is good times.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I highly recommend checking out Pharnakes WiTP head to head screenshot LP for a master class in a bunch of the little underlying systems in WiTP that I'd never quite understood.

It's a great game so far and a real pleasure to see someone playing that obviously understands so much of this complicated game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952093&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Edit -

Just refunded war on the sea, will try again next year I guess

Abongination fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 14, 2021

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Flying in WWIIOL is still the most intense experience I've ever had playing a game. Sweating, hands shaking so bad I can't line up a shot, my dude passing out from the g's in his flying brick of a 110. It was good times. Janky, janky good times.

Pickup Il2-BoS for :10bux: when its on sale

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
A friend is talking me into getting war in the east 2 so we can pbem.

It's hard to both be online at the same time these days so this is the compromise. Do I go for it or try to sell him hard on war in the pacific which I already own and somewhat understand?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
It's hard to run a goon vs goon game without it consuming all of your time for a month or two and pissing off your wife.

I'd love to input again but it's such a major time sink :(

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

pthighs posted:

You can do PvP real-time mode in CM, right? That would be amazing, people clicking and drawing lines as fast as possible, it would be insanity.

I guess to be watchable you'd have to have a spectator camera or something.

Just the thought of doing real time on one of the stupidly large scenarios stresses me out

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I've put a good 10 hours into armoured commander II, worth a couple bucks.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Gort posted:

Man, some of these design decisions in Ultimate Admiral are making me scratch my head. You start with a huge amount of money to spend once you start the tutorial, and a bewildering number of things you can spend it on - ships, weapons, technologies, men, officers and so on. But none of the larger ships you can buy can equip any of the guns you have available to buy at the start of the game. So you've technically got the ability to buy and sail sixth and fifth rate ships, but you can't arm them, so it's entirely pointless to give you the option to be able to buy them at the start of the game.

Put 6 pounders on the top deck, fill it full of men with bayonets then board everything

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Highfleet is really great so far for an early access release. Basically a mix between sub sim game play and carrier command.

Check out the thread here on the forums or look up some gameplay.

*Edit - Now with link https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973412

Abongination fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Coop combat mission that didn't run like dog poo poo is the dream. The big scenarios are so loving big that I get overwhelmed and close it before the first turn.