Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is; you put trellises on standoffs away from the actual surface of the building, and then very aggressively prune to keep the vines etc. off your surface.

Here's an example:

Architects have to understand how these work and design their gorgeous buildings to incorporate this kind of approach.

here's another one:

In this case I'm not sure they've left adequate space to keep the plants off the building surface, but I'm guessing some of these things are built on hinges so they can actually be pulled or rotated away from the building for regular (annual?) pruning, cleaning the wall, etc.

Leperflesh has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, there's a current trend in architecture to design buildings to support plants growing as a part of the structure itself. that is what i assumed Heath was talking about

Leperflesh is right in that uncontrolled growth of vegetation on buildings causes them to decay extremely quickly. i can't find any attribution on the posted image - it appears to be a building which was designed to support vegetation, but which is also not getting the right maintenance to prevent decorative plants from turning into destructive plants

vertical forest type structures a big design trend since the mid aughts but also they're kind of a bad idea

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also, there's a big difference in building renders and building reality. a lot of greened structures are less whelming when actually constructed

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's one of those things that sounds futuristic and cool and contributes to a better planet, but yeah it would require some heavily dedicated maintenance. I've heard of things like kudzu getting into the cracks between bricks and forcing them apart, but I don't know how you can account for that. But man it looks cool

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

at this point, intentionally propagating kudzu (at least in the US) is an environmental crime, or ought to be, so yeah

but like, if you could do it with native plants that'd be amazing, and failing that, maybe grapes or something that'd at least make food?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

luxury handset posted:

Leperflesh is right in that uncontrolled growth of vegetation on buildings causes them to decay extremely quickly. i can't find any attribution on the posted image - it appears to be a building which was designed to support vegetation, but which is also not getting the right maintenance to prevent decorative plants from turning into destructive plants

I just like the aesthetic of nature flourishing and retaking man-made structures. Whenever it appears in video game levels I tend to take twice as long completing it than I might have otherwise, on account of exploring and admiring 💕

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The platonic ideal of architecture is net-zero energy buildings. Whatever the building looks like to achieve that goal is the optimal aesthetic.

E: also buildings that look like dinosaurs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I just like the aesthetic of nature flourishing and retaking man-made structures. Whenever it appears in video game levels I tend to take twice as long completing it than I might have otherwise, on account of exploring and admiring 💕

This was my favorite part of The Last of Us. The partially toppled sky scrapers in particular.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like how it looks too. The jungle consuming mankind's hubris. Hanging gardens of babylon. Tomb raider platforming structures. Ideal habitat for troops of howler monkeys.

Just don't want to own it, or live in it, or pay for its upkeep, nope.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I feel like I'm running out of forums threads in which to air out my appreciation for this game, but man, I hope you've played Tokyo Jungle.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Rise from your grave, with this Zillow listing for a McMansion that looks like a shipment of tchotchkes blew up all over it.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1-Rivers-Edge-Dr-Colts-Neck-NJ-07722/39230937_zpid/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You can smell the cinnamon scent

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Ah the Room of Rememberence, a must-have for any family home.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That must be an absolute nightmare to vacuum and dust.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I feel like I'm looking at an upscale Hobby Lobby or something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Decorations room in a florist

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

Rise from your grave, with this Zillow listing for a McMansion that looks like a shipment of tchotchkes blew up all over it.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1-Rivers-Edge-Dr-Colts-Neck-NJ-07722/39230937_zpid/

Wealth is wasted on the rich

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

C.M. Kruger posted:

That somehow looks both homely and sterile at the same time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I can smell the hallmark store candles from here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Some Goon posted:

I can smell the hallmark store candles from here.

Congratulations on not having COVID.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
In more positive content, the oft maligned Boston city hall is currently getting a makeover to change the hostile windblown courtyard into more of a park:
https://www.boston.gov/departments/public-facilities/city-hall-plaza-renovation

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I just got back from Miami, where I went on a walking tour of the Art Deco historic district. Can't recommend it enough if you're into that sort of thing:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I swear I recognose that place from Vice City.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
if it counts, I've always had a weakness for the Bass Pro pyramid

absolutely no real purpose for the thing when it was built other than "to be a cool pyramid and I guess we can put sports or something inside"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tjadeth posted:

if it counts, I've always had a weakness for the Bass Pro pyramid

absolutely no real purpose for the thing when it was built other than "to be a cool pyramid and I guess we can put sports or something inside"

My city has a pyramid. They put a library in it.

Probably not a lot of pyramids in the world with ice fences installed!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Speaking of libraries, the downtown Seattle library is pretty sweet

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Central_Library

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

I just got back from Miami, where I went on a walking tour of the Art Deco historic district. Can't recommend it enough if you're into that sort of thing:

Trust the Americans to make art deco look boring and bland.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

C.M. Kruger posted:

In more positive content, the oft maligned Boston city hall is currently getting a makeover to change the hostile windblown courtyard into more of a park:
https://www.boston.gov/departments/public-facilities/city-hall-plaza-renovation

Yo, that's great!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah I actually kinda like the look of City Hall itself (especially from the inside) but City Hall Plaza is a useless vast expanse of nothing. That redesign looks really nice though!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I think my hometown of Kansas City has some pretty neat (and also pretty weird/wacky/tacky) architecture.

This is the facade on the parking garage for the main branch of the Kansas City Public Library.

The Kauffman Center for the Preforming Arts was designed by the Sydney Opera House guy, I guess he's really into shell shapes.

The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art is probably the cities finest piece of work, and on the back side is the Bloch Building that they moved a bunch of the modern art to. The Shuttlecocks are by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen.

This is the Kansas City Convention Center (aka Bartle Hall) People used to not like the Pylons/"Sky Stations" but now everyone loves them lol. Pretty much the definition of "weird/wacky/tacky"

And of course, any post about buildings in KC on SA would be incomplete without the home of the Super Kansas City Worldskippers: Kemper Arena

Sucks that was the Kemper family's legacy for so long, but hey now their legacy is the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art and Ellie Kemper. Not bad.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Julius CSAR posted:

I think my hometown of Kansas City has some pretty neat (and also pretty weird/wacky/tacky) architecture.

This is the facade on the parking garage for the main branch of the Kansas City Public Library.

April Fool's joke repaint one to be a Chuck Tingle book.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Pounded in My Butt by Contemporary Literature

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some of those books aren't the right page count!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Pretty good choices though

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Trust the Americans to make art deco look boring and bland.

They were all originally painted white to keep the heat down, these were all built pre-air conditioning days. There are no restrictions on paint colors for the protected buildings these days, but they mostly fall into one of two categories: 1) keep everything as original as possible, and 2) use the pastel paint scheme developed by Lenny Horrowitz in the 80's:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I swear I recognose that place from Vice City.

I live in south Florida, but hadn't been to South Beach until shortly after Vice City came out. It's a testament to how good the visual design is in that game that the game reminds you of the place, and the place reminds you of the game. It's uncanny.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I remember playing GTA 4 after getting back from New York and it was pretty incredible.

Not as colorful as South Beach though

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I went to NYC some years ago and specifically made a thing of recalling GTA IV, and there were quite a few spots where I thought they really nailed it with Liberty City. Specifically there was one area where I involuntarily thought oh poo poo this is just one street off Luis' apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

I remember playing GTA 4 after getting back from New York and it was pretty incredible.

Not as colorful as South Beach though

Honestly I do think the gta series does a pretty good job in general of doing a pastiche of whatever city it is they're emulating.