Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
SRWJ was my first SRW game and I have a super soft spot for it in my heart so sign me up for this feed all the worst units directly into my dumb face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hello this is my introduction from the starting line as everyone else gets off and running

As I said in my sign me up post, I'm a bit of a SRWJ fanchild who forgives everything the game does a lot more than what everyone else does. I don't think this means I'm particularly good at the game and I expect my time spent in SRWV, X and T where you can cast your spirits at any time will be a detriment to me. Even though I was completely asleep and also a fair bit ill when the draft kicked off due to a chronic case of Australianism, I managed to completely influence the brains (not Brains) of everyone present and received the entire Mazinkaiser cast. I'll introduce the units as I'm allowed to get them and talk a little about the stages as I do them too, and wax a little on what I love about this game.

So here's what we need to know about the setting for the game I'm playing, SRW Mazinkaiser.

They are of course referring to the official translation for Super Robot Wars Original Generations: Moon Dwellers. Anyway the world is in strife between man and slightly superior genetically enhanced man, there's something in the ocean that keeps shooting plates that turn into fleshy robots everywhere, Dr. Hell is trying to kill Koji Kabuto still and failing, and now aliens are invading with unmanned kill-machines and no one knows how to deal with it! Pretty simple, gets us into the mood for it. I'll explain it all a bit more as I go.

Thanks to this draft one of the big advantages I get for SRWJ is that right out the gate I'll have multiple units backing up my protagonist so I can pretty much pick whomever I want and put them in whatever I want. For the uninitiated SRWJ gives the player two protagonists to choose from, three starting mechs to choose from, and if you beat the game with all three of those robots you get a fourth. SRWJ is crazy cool in that regard.

I'm putting the male protagonist in the pink punch-robot.

I'm not renaming any of the attacks because they're all some variation of the letter O with a word and I'm ten years old mentally, but if you want to see my protagonist yell out something embarrassing feel free to ask. The game also wants me to pick which three series I want to mark as my favourites, which is a nice little touch for a regular playthrough that actually stacks the more you new game+ it. Marking a series as a favourite gives you more money and experience when a unit from that series kills an enemy, and gives you more slots for upgrading a unit which we'll get into once I actually finish a level and get some money. For now obviously I'm picking Mazinkaiser and the Original (the protagonist) as the first two, and I won't reveal who my third pick is till they arrive because THIS IS A MYSTERY GAME?!?!

Ah poo poo someone found out I'm doing this. See you all next time in Episode 1 of SRW Mazinkaiser!

NEXT TIME in Episode 1: Coustwell Dies in Charva

Turn Count: 0

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 22, 2019

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

What's the character count? :allears:

16 characters! You imminent monster.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft-Wars Episode 1: Should've stayed in school, Char.

Hey wow this update is going to be a lot of words but I do kind of want to explain things to people who might not know anything about NOTHING so I apologise in advance. We actually start the game and a whole bunch of people with question marks for faces are cryptic, which leads into-

Okay wow jeez Char TMI right there we just met.

I think it's a little early to be dropping AXIS on everyone isn't it? I love the quotation marks, it's like a politician was asked to justify letting a colony drop happen.

See? I told you, dude! Anyway Char goes to school with a bunch of anime protagonists and heroines, and then a giant robot falls on him and his teacher, some dudes turn up and instead of doing their job to destroy the robot they bug out and leave it to a bunch of unmanned Jovian Lizard units instead. Jovian Lizard is the name they give the invaders, which is weird but relates to how the robots kinda look like lizards.

Luckily for everyone the list of anime protagonists at this school includes Koji Kabuto and he sallies forth to protect the school!

Deep breath here cause I'm about to waffle about some MECHANICS.

Mazinger Z and its pilot Koji are about as Super Robot as you can get. There's always some version of a Mazin in a SRW game and they are super hard to kill due to the machine having a high armour and HP pool, and the pilot having excellent defense. Koji also has Potential (typically called Prevail) that increases the pilot's stats as their HP lowers. Potential has levels to it that increase the effectiveness and Koji starts with his Potential at level 3 and will eventually ride all the way up to Potential 9 I think? Anyway there'll come a time when he'll be at half health and attacks will do 10 damage, which is the absolute minimum damage anything can do to you in SRWJ.
Thrown on top of this, once Koji's will hits 130 Mazinger Z activates MAZIN POWER which boosts all its damage by 1.25. Will/Morale is a thing in SRW games whereby a pilot's performance generally improves the higher their Will is, particularly in damage. Some attacks have a minimum Will threshold before you can use them, representing the pilot getting hyped up enough to do their big hits. Will build-up is different based on a pilot's personality in J, in Koji's case his will goes up when he takes or deals damage, and goes down if he misses an attack. Koji also starts with Guts as a spirit, so he can just regain all his HP if you're worried about him getting plinked to death somehow. OH DID I MENTION SPIRITS? You have a limited pool of points on a character called SP and they give you all manner of buffs and debuffs to play with and you can only cast them in your turn.

Mazinger Z has a few flaws. It guzzles EN on its more powerful attacks, and while some units get ammo-based and freebie attacks Mazinger Z doesn't. The other issue is since I don't have Z's Scrander it cannot fly. We won't be getting the Scrander by the way. Mazinger Z always walks and suffers terrain movement penalties unless we give in a part that makes him fly.

Terrain matters in SRWJ, and can be used by both you and your enemies. Aside from limiting your ground-based movement it's a boost to defence and evasion but look! Going to school gives you HP and EN regen.

Anyway there's a video-game here let's go. I didn't think to just show everyone the little map you can bring up I'll do that next time, just know the school is basically north middle of the map and you've got a whole lot of buildings down south.

Turn 1 is a gimme, Koji's just a little north of the school and can head south a bit and wait for the enemies to run at you.

Turn 2 Sayaka turns up ready to help!

Put Koji and Sayaka side-by-side and you can kind of see how awful she is in comparison. In addition she's in a super robot that can't tank for beans, doesn't really do much damage, and it's ground-based. She has the Repair function which means she can heal people instead of attacking, and healing people does give you experience points. Healing or killing something higher level than you gives you more exp, and lower level stuff gives you less. Sayaka will likely be chasing us in levels or dying. She does have one more neat little thing to her, because she and Koji love each other they get a stat bonus when standing together. Love and friendship are super important!

Sayaka starts with Potential level 1 which is mostly worthless, and can cast Alert, it's a one-time 100% dodge for a turn every time you cast it. Enemies love trying to kill her so it's never a bad idea.

We keep marching towards the unmanned thingies, and Koji ends up being in range of one so I rocket punch it, crit it, and it dies instantly. I loving love Koji.

These little Batta fellas are unmanned and they pretty much suck. They'll get extremely annoying later. Fun fact! Unless you have a Spirit called “Scan” you can only know the stats of something after you have fought them. This screencap is from a later one because Koji is a wonderful man.

This kill causes the event that makes Char recover from a giant robot dropping on him, and he discovers every young man's worst nightmare: A giant robot with three girls his age demanding he pilot it for them because it turns out he's actually the chosen one. Char hates it.

On the enemy's phase they unsurprisingly all take a shot at Koji, and he's in range with the Rust Hurricane attack. This is an attack that'll rarely ever kill anything but will inflict them with armour down. This is a lot nicer than what happens in all Mazinger official works where Rust Hurricane just makes things horrifically melt like they'd looked into the Ark of the Covenant. Koji takes some damage but he's standing on a building and has a spirit that lets him get all his health back NO WORRIES.

Turn 3 has Sayaka head down to heal Koji because she's just in range, and that's basically her job. Koji misses another Rust Hurricane on a 94% chance to hit but I'm not really heart-broken, expect I'll be counter-killing most of these guys anyway.

Enemy phase and they attack both Koji and Sayaka, and get wiped out while doing buttloads of damage to Sayaka because her father is TERRIBLE at making robots.

This triggers the event that actually spawns Char in his unit, along with a large number of the Batta. I love this sequence so much because the first thing our protagonist does is stagger out of the school into a nearby building because he has no loving idea how to manage a giant robot. Koji gives him some sass about that but excuse me fucko you nearly levelled a town the first time you got into Mazinger Z and Sayaka had to radio you to tell you how to stop trashing everything while you cried like a baby. We event kill a mook with our new boy and then the enemy phase continues. Events that give you a new unit or mission objective occurring in an enemy phase can happen a lot in SRW games! Sometimes it's awful and you lose. Today it's okay.

Our protagonist is in a mech that dodges and punches! Punches. Literally everything is a punch. Its ranged attack is a giant fist I'm sorry Shei-kun I'll show you the renamed attacks next time but there won't be any beam attack. Char is a protagonist so everything he does is going to be pretty good. He comes packing Hit & Away which lets you shoot and then move, Potential level 1, and Support Defence Level 1 which allows us to take a hit for someone targeted adjacent to us (more levels in that lets you do more acts of defence). Char can cast focus, it boosts chances to hit and evade for a whole turn.

As a bonus our machine comes with a sub-pilot who mostly act as spirit batteries. Unlike every other sub-pilot in this game the protagonist's sub-pilot also give stat-bonuses. Festenia gives +200 to weapon damage and +10% to your critical chance. Pretty good!

Turn 4 Char kills a Batta and we get him and his co-pilot Festinia a level. I move the Mazin crew into the school to get them an education and Sayaka does some more repair work. I know there'll be more enemies spawning soon but hey I'm not here to win intentionally I'm here to win accidentally. Mazinpower activates during this, ensuring Koji does even more damage.

Enemy phase sees two battas survive with about 100 hp which happens sometimes and probably is because we're all in the trees.

Turn 5 has Sayaka hit level 2 from repairing Koji again. Lacking anything else to do with Mazinger Z I head him south for the expected enemy waves. Char kills one of the two Battas left and uses Hit & Away to go a little south as well.

Enemy phase sees that last Batta die and Char and co. hit level 3! Festinia learns Fury, probably at how slowly I'm going in the first stage. It just boosts your crit chance. Four mechabeasts turn up! The good news is that they'll all approach Koji.

Mechabeasts (or Kikaiji if you prefer) are super robot sized enemies, but these two are fairly budget versions and honestly as much as I love 'em we're going to roll over them plenty of times. We got two of each kind.

Turn 6 One more gentle heal from Sayaka and Mazinger Z goes in deep, and touches a Doublas. I'm kind of worried he's going to run out of EN fighting these guys but we'll see. Char races to catch up but I sincerely doubt he's going to manage it.

Enemy phase they all pile Koji and that ones Doublas that was already damaged dies and gives us a Propellant Tank, which will be handy for when I run Koji out of EN in later stages. All other enemies get tagged, they're likely to die next turn.

Turn 7 Oh gosh this sure took longer than I thought it would, but Koji gets to killing and hits level 3. One of the enemies uses a repair kit to heal itself completely back to full, which actually kind of surprises me cause I forget they can do that but then it dies in one hit to breast fire and I usually forget to use those sorts of things so it doesn't matter he can keep it. Which is a problem because now Koji has no EN to counterattack this turn. MISCALCULATIONS AHOY.

Turn 8 Okay Koji has enough EN now. He hits level 4 and the stage is over and I'm FULL OF SHAME.

After all the fun dies down Char goes back to the Mazinger Squad Headquarters and tries to do what he does best and abandon everyone who needs him but Great Mazinger's pilot Tetsuya Tsurugi walks in and tells him to not be a giant baby or he'll go to a military gulag, and then they ship his rear end to Mars so he can avoid that fate. Seriously Koji refers to the United Earth Federation Alliance (or whatever it's called) as “extremist pricks” in the translation and it's great and accurate. Sayaka's dad manages to completely outwit them with the Mars gig though, which just goes to show the dude was never cut out to be a scientist and that's why in Mazinger Infinity he's gone on to become the Prime Minister of Japan. Dude can run poo poo. Mars is probably a suicide mission so Koji and Sayaka are coming too. I'm still not sure if Dr. Yumi is the best or worst dad. He might be simultaneously both.

Next time on SRW Tortoise-Pace! I take way too long to do literally anything.

Turn Count: 8

Goddamnit Boss.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft-Snores Episode 2: Martian Successor Nadesicohjesus you're killing EVERYONE

Before we get stuck in I'll just mention a few things that can happen between turns. You get a chance to do some fiddling with your mechs and pilots to equip bits and pieces and also upgrade them. Remember that Propellant Tank we got? Yeah that's a PART and you can slap it on your mech so it can use it mid-battle. Other parts will grant bonuses of many different varieties and it's up to you to decide what to use. Or me. I guess I'm playing this I should know. Some mechs have more slots for parts than others. Pilots have slots for other stuff too which directly affects them, so you can buff existing skills or grant entirely new ones! We have none of those.

Every level you gain in SRWJ gives you a point that can be spent on buffing a character's stat. I'm giving all my super robot pilots more defence and pumping Ability on Char cause that'll boost a few things for him, his crit-rate one of them. You can set it so you can do it during battle but I find it easier to just do without.

Destroying enemies gives you money, and this is where you spend it. All mechs have four stats with a varying number of squares, and you can upgrade them accordingly. Almost all units benefit from an EN boost, super robots benefit from armour and HP on top of that, and reals do like mobility most of all. One of the advantages we'll get betting in this game is that with less units to spend on we'll probably have better upgraded units over time. Those blue squares are what we get for picking out units as our favourite series, allowing us to buff our units even beyond what they were. There's a similar menu for upgrading weapon damage, and upgrading those boosts all of a unit's attacks. We don't have much to spend on so we mostly give Koji some general love, Sayaka some tankiness she really needs and some mobility to Char. Nothing is spent on weapons (yet).

Lastly we can do a thing called Puzzle Robo where you have to do specific short tasks under specific circumstances to get extra money and items. You don't have to do it and a new puzzle robo stage opens up every time you clear a regular stage. It's nice.

On to the episode!

Wow Mars isn't that scary, lady.

So story-wise after a non-sequitor involving Brain Powerd (not a typo or at least not the typo I thought I was making) which is a show that has an intro where naked woman float by but the intro music is sung by someone dying slowly wow it even made me get into a non-sequitor while explaining the non-sequitor-

HERE'S YURIKA. She's from Martian Successor Nadesico and is the best character in the show. She's probably the best character in this game too. You know those people who are really only good at one thing? Well her one thing is commanding a battleship and she is really good at it. Char really hates being on the ship and Koji is really mad at him for complaining about it. We also meet other members of the crew and honestly most of them we won't even get to use so whoooooo cares? The Nadesico is a privately constructed corporate warship going to Mars to help out people who were sort of left behind when the Jovian Lizards went there and hosed up everything on their way to Earth.

For a reason that will be explained immediately after the events of this episode the UEFA decides to play take-backs on the permission they granted the Nergal Corporation that made the Nadesico to let them make the thing and go to Mars and now they want it so they can fight their wars. Yurika laughs at them and just rolls through their first wave solo, and then we bump into the second wave.

Weird I thought there was a full map display key but I rolled my face on my keyboard and nothing. Welcome to a space map! Combat terrain in SRW is broken up between Ground, Air, Water and Space and all mechs have a rating in it if they can operate in that. One thing to know about air and space travel is each space is one EN point. I fuckin' need that EN SRWJ can you not?!?!

Our first Battleship! Apparently I forgot to screenshot it when we first got it so here's a little post-episode picture. The Nadesico is a fiendish exp-and-en guzzling monstrosity. The former because everyone will try to prioritize attacking the Nadesico over anyone else if they can, and the latter because it has an amazing shield that slaps down most attacks that hit it and a beam attack that just melts everything. Both shield and beam cost EN, so a Nadesico that gets prioritized by enemies tends to kill a lot of stuff but early on that also means it runs out of EN and runs at a risk of getting stranded in place. The Nadesico has a missile attack that uses ammo though so never be afraid to use that if you can, you'll get 20 shots out of that thing but its range is less than the beam. The beam can be used as a MAP attack too, but that's a little situational (but great when you can do it).

The Nadesico comes pretty heavily stocked in terms of crew as well. Yurika is the Captain but she comes with four other sub-pilots and they all have spirits. So with the Nadesico alone we get access to Tire (lowers an enemy's Will by 10), Cheer (buffs an ally so their next battle gives double exp), Scan (allows you to identify an enemy and lowers their evasion by 10%), Snipe (increases max attack range by 2 for one turn), Accel (increases next movement distance by 3), Alert, Gain (self-buff to double exp), Break (nullifies enemy defence abilities on your next attack), Vigor (restores 30% of Max HP) and Wall (next attack only does 10 damage). A pretty crazy arsenal to start.

The Nadesico is interesting because you actually have a choice of two people that can pilot it. If you use Yurika you can take advantage of her Command Aura which is currently level 1. Command boosts the hit and evasion rate of all units nearby, with higher levels equalling a larger boost. You can switch the main pilot to Ruri who is one of the sub-pilots currently, and she has an ability called IFS which means that as her Will goes up so do her general stats. I don't normally switch to Ruri but if my dudes become strong enough through upgrades they might not need the Command Aura and the Nadesico getting big stat gains is pretty nice.

I could sing their theme-song all day. Combattler V is a super robot but it's of a different make to Mazinger Z. Combattler is a combination super robot, made up for vehicles that combine to form a larger machine. This translates to a machine with an overall higher base HP but a lower armour value as a trade-off, which is balanced somewhat by the fact that because it's a combiner it also has way too many sub-pilots with spirits they can use! As a result we get Vigor, Wall, Strike (100% hit rate for a turn), Alert, Guts, Spirit (boosts Will by 10), Guard (all damage taken over the turn reduced to ¼), Trust (restores 2000 HP to targeted unit), Alert, Scan, Gain, and Vigor. Yes, Alert is on there twice because two different sub-pilots are packing it. Your major issue here is that the spirit points pool of your sub-pilots aren't generally that amazing so the higher cast stuff mean that sub-pilot can do that and literally nothing else for the rest of eternity. Use your powers wisely!

The actual main pilot of Combattler V is Hyoma which I cannot pronounce, and for all the major lack of plot relevancy Hyoma has he basically delivers an endless parade of zingers towards the plot. He has Potential 3 which can help with Combattler's general squishiness and inability to dodge.

Char has a different sub-pilot this time, it's Katia! She has the spirits Bless (buffs an ally so their next battle doubles their money made, which can be 0 if you kill nothing) and Break. The bonus she gives us in combat is adding +1 to our attacks' maximum range and +10 to our mobility. Not too bad.

Meanwhile on the UEFA side of things we've got the finest weapons at their disposal. That is to say we've got a space-plane with a beam-gun from Gundam SEED and what looks like the world's most awkward space-suit from Nadesico. Early on both military forces had absolutely atrocious armaments so this fits. There's not much different between the two aside from the Moebius being more fragile but slightly more dodgy than the Delphinius.

Turn 1 We throw Accel onto the Nadesico and send it into the mob of dudes. It fires off some missiles, and one-shots one of the little Moebius fellas. Koji moves up with the ship and crits the most distant Moebius with his weakest attack and the thing is already almost dead. Combattler V softens up a closer one and Sayaka finishes it off, and then Char sweeps in on the one Koji wounded and fists it to death. I forgot to rename its moves again! I'm a real Yumi this time sorry Shei-kun.

Our enemies respond by holding all their Delphinius' back, and the Moebius sweep in to try to bring us down. Good plan! Except they attack the Nadesico. I mostly stick to missiles for its attacks where I can, and because the shield mitigates damage I'm not really that worried.

Turn 2 We move everyone closer to the Delphinius stuff and start shooting, cleaning up the rest of the Moebius, and Sayaka gets to level 3.

In the enemy phase they all target the Nadesico and everyone in the crew hits level 5 annihilating them out of existence. We've killed enough things to start an event that lets us know another wave of enemy reinforcements is coming. FANTASTIC. I hold off on killing everything cause the Nadesico would be getting diminishing returns from these levels that the others can still take advantage of.

Turn 3 Sayaka repairs Combattler V cause it's a little dinged up, and we weaken the last two mooks so Koji and Char can get some kills to catch up on levels, and Char hits level 4. This triggers SRWJ to give both us and the enemies some reinforcements. But I can't use ours so I send them to climb aboard the Nadesico.

Woohoo yourself.

Oh poo poo it's an enemy battleship! Two of them in this case. The Katonbo will be introducing us to what is super annoying about enemies from the Nadesico series. You know that sweet-rear end defensive barrier the Nadesico has? These guys have it too and it's just as effective. They're chunky boys but not that threatening, especially since SRWJ likes to make the “tougher” enemies hang back for a turn or two before they start moving themselves, just to be sporting I suppose.

Enemy phase is all our little Jovian Lizard friends coming in hot towards our reinforcements, so we try to meet them in the middle.

Turn 4 Space debris slows us down so we can't actually attack anyone, but I put Koji out in front so he can start doing some damage.

The enemy take the bait and Mazinpower activates, allowing Koji to kill literally anything with his weakest attack. Did I mention Koji has like 100 different attacks in this thing? You only need Photon Lasers and Rust Hurricane to kill Battas. If you use a Rocket Punch you're doing it because you're a man of fine taste and I appreciate you but I'm super paranoid about EN now. Koji counter-kills two Batta and hits level 5, learning Wall for himself. Then he counter-kills another bunch of them and hits level 6. Combattler V and Nadesico get one counter-kill each and then the last one suicides on Koji who was taking damage in the double-digits from the enemy. This leaves the two battleships!

Turn 5 The enemy are too far away to attack due to being big slow phallic objects in space so we just continue our plodding advance as we have before.

The enemy unsurprisingly responds by coming closer and engaging the Nadesico and Combattler V who are arguably my least banged up units at this point. The Nadesico chews off half its foes health and the Combattler tickles the enemy with a crotch-rocket thanks to their barrier. Yeah the Combattler has an ammo based missile attack that they can shoot from their crotch. Well it looks like the crotch anyway. It doesn't matter because

Turn 6 So hey, the enemy have barriers right? That's where Break comes in handy but only the Nadesico and Punchbot currently have access to it. I have Mazinger Z soften up one of the thingies, and Combattler V pops some Gain and goes in for the kill, getting us a Booster Part in the process. I'll talk about that later! I LOVE SAYING THAT. Sadly even with Break we're unable to destroy the second one in our phase.

Enemy phase the final enemy attacks the Nadesico who loses just enough EN through its distortion field it can't fire a Gravity Blast back and kill it. I hate everything.

Turn 7 Sayaka taps the battleship lightly, and Char finishes it off. We get a Servo Motor part. We also got some other stuff earlier too but they're repair kits and propellant or whatever I dunno WHO CARES I'M MAD ABOUT ENERGY AND LIZARDS-but hey we won! One of our big issues really is we're not the fastest crew in the fight, but I can't be mad about the sheer number of enemies Mazinger Z rolled over in the middle there.

There's a lot of space colonies out here so I guess Char just got excited at the thought of dropping them on Earth and started hyperventilating.

Speaking of Char, after the mission he is forced to watch giant robot anime and oh I guess we find out mankind has decided the best time to fight a giant war with itself is during an alien invasion they're losing. Not even like a little skirmish misunderstanding kicks it off either, they just nuke a large civilian space-colony and kick-start a hell-war they immediately begin losing because the genetically superior human Coordinators have devices that basically render the entire process of fission impossible so now they can't be nuked again but also Earth has lost access to its most prolific power source in the setting. The presumption is made that the Feds wanted the Nadesico so they could win the war against the armed forces of the space-colonies, ZAFT. The UEFA makes Australian politics looks sensible and responsible by comparison.

Turn Count 15

Next time on SRWJ: Oh hi Mars

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 24, 2019

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Looking at the general history of super robot anime... sending your kid and her boyfriend on a suicide mission they were excited for doesn't even ping the Egad Bad Dad board.

Even going no further than Amuro's dad, there is some astonishly bad parenting on display.

It's like he has to maintain balance in the universe so every super clever, beneficial thing he does, he makes a terrible mech for his daughter and sends her into battle in it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Reiska posted:

The Select button handles this.

Yeah that's what I thought but I got nothin' that time. Maybe I accidentally something.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 3 – Free Mars (previous owners deceased)

Not pictured anywhere in this playthrough: Eiji.

There's an exciting battle and we don't get to fight it don't worry about it we get to fight another one. There's one hundred humans left on Mars cause some aliens named Gradosians turned up, and we kill them. The humans. No I'm not kidding Martian Successor Nadesico can get pretty grim at times.

At times.

Like this lady is telling us how the idea of trying to be a hero is inherently foolish but later she'll be forcing Yurika to dress as a rabbit for her power-point explanations. Also gently caress you Koji Kabuto is on this ship the guy is basically hero incarnate.

Anyway the enemy is coming and some of them have pilots! They have no eyes which I think means they're Hentai protagonists so we'd better watch out for that. Also I found my map key it only took me 100 years don't worry.

We have a forced-deploy of the main character of a series I don't get to use so we'll basically be putting him back on the Nadesico and letting my death-machines deal death. There's a first step for getting a secret character here but I didn't get that in the draft so gently caress that. Actually I don't think I got any secrets I can use so I'm free to do what I want. The enemy force has two battleships, a mix of Battas and some new units, and two characters with unique machines.

Just one look at the stats tells you what you need to know about Karla and Gale. Also one look at Gale and you can see he got lost on the way to Fist of the North Star. Both of the named pilots are much stronger, tougher and dodgier than their AI and faceless mook counterparts. That combined with them being smaller units than our super robots means hitting them is actually going to be difficult for most of our units. One of the big things about enemies in SRWJ is they tend to move the mooks first turn, then a second wave starts to move on the second turn, and then a third wave usually encompasses the named characters and battleships. Kinda weird but the predictability is nice. Lastly and most importantly, some bosses have a point where should their HP loss pass a threshold they will just straight up leave the fight which will deny you money, exp, parts and modules. Getting boss kills here can be right troublesome by and large because of their dodginess and small HP pool versus our chances to hit being low but the attacks that actually hit will hit hard so I'll be satisfied just driving them off.

Turn 1 is standard approach the enemy as they approach us, we tuck Eiji into our battleship and he'll never be seen again.

Turn 2 We head to the South-West to see if all these tiny things will start bouncing off our faces. All you can really do at this point is brace for it so I move as a death-blob, but they're going to go for the Nadesico most likely. The Nadesico's missiles one-shot a batta because Yurika is strong. We trade hits with a bunch of other enemies, Sayaka heals up Combattler V and hits level 4, learning Trust (the healing spirit).

Enemy phase yeah we get swarmed and the Nadesico's missiles just do NOT stop one-shotting everything. But I let it go for a bit cause Yurika is getting 100 exp per kill, at 500 for a level so it's not a bad go of it. After a few she hits level 6 which means it's diminishing returns now. The Katonbo battleships come in and go for the Nadesico and Mazinger Z and get lightly bopped back for their troubles. Even more enemies just swarm us and the Combattler team one-shot a Batta to hit level 6 as well.

Turn 3
The next wave of enemy units will be upon us super fast and probably gunning for the Nadesico so I just stand my ground a little and shift Mazinger Z in a more front-facing position to maybe get some attention. He can do it. We get Char to level 5 and he learns Combo level 1. This is actually really good and I'll explain it once we can actually do a combo attack. Hopefully blobbing up pays off.

The enemy actually do start attacking Mazinger Z, which is nice because he can start gaining Will from getting hit and then start doing some goddamn wrecking. The Nadesico trades shots with the battleships, and Karla takes a swing at Koji which he can't answer to because she's actually dodgy and he had a 42% chance of hitting her.

Turn 4
I could do a combo attack now but it's against two targets it would tickle and probably miss. Everyone else is spaced out too much sadly. I could just MAP them but the Nadesico doesn't need MORE exp does it? We finish off some of those which leaves Gale, Karla and two Battleships. We don't have a lot of good hitting potential for the two characters outside of Char and Combattler V, since they have hit increase spirits that can actually hit them but we'll see.

Enemy phase sees the Nadesico wipe out one of the battleships, wound the other and Karla, and then Gale shoots down its missiles. Yeah they can do that in this game. So can your guys to be honest. Also swords can cut down these missiles too. That's not the least annoying mechanic you'll have to deal with that's for sure. The Nadesico has once again run out of EN by this point because I used Gravity Blast on the battleships so it took some damage.

Turn 5
We throw Cheer onto Koji so he can double his exp from killing the Battleship, which he does barely because I hate distortion fields. Sayaka repairs the Nadesico and hits level 5, the Nadesico uses a Propellant Tank to get its EN back, Char also gets Cheer'd on and forces Karla to leave the battle with O FISTO that I forgot to screenshot (I swear I'm not doing this intentionally Shei-kun) and gets motherfucking BOSS GAINS to level 7.

Remember, every 500 exp is a level so that's a really nice number. He learns Support Attack, so now when someone next to him attacks he can follow up and attack with them (albeit with reduced damage). We get a cartridge and a module for a pilot that adds evasion +5. As you can imagine that's most suited for people who need to dodge to live so Char will get that at the end.

Combattler V activates Strike and Gain so that it can guarantee a hit on Gale and then get an exp bonus from the fight. The best part of all this is that Gradosian units don't have shields. Sadly it doesn't one-shot him, and drops his health low enough that he can escape, which rather unfortunately kicks off the second wave reinforcements but all I can really do is sit there and wait for the enemy to move closer, which they'll do in turn-based waves like I mentioned.

Of course, Gosterro's in the corner and the rest of his forces will be trying to hit us from a few directions. It's a similar make-up to the first wave, right down to having two battleships.

Gosterro is a little less dodgy than the other two, but he's definitely tankier. Like the others he has a fleeing threshold, and his skill as a pilot means my big guys are going to struggle to tickle him as usual.

Turn 6 I hold my ground, repair the Nadesico and throw the Combattler and Punchbot into the Nadesico for some repairs and rearming. Koji takes point with the expectation he will be ignored because this game just won't loving stop trying to attack the Nadesico.

The enemy swarms the Nadesico and sadly she's all out of missiles. Level 7 rolls around as enemies just bounce useless attacks off of the perfect defense of our shield. To my shock both of the battleships shoots at Sayaka, but I popped Alert on her so she's had a free dodge just waiting all this time to kick in, so she responds with her breast missiles for 1000 damage on both and only takes a little damage. THANKS DAD.

Turn 7 We unload Combattler and Punchbot and get to fighting again. Koji hits level 7.

Enemy phase is about what you'd expect but with no missiles to fire I just gotta wing it and shoot my Gravity Blast at EVERYTHING. I've got one more fuel part I can use so that'll help for when big crazy turns up.

Turn 8 Sayaka keeps repairing, hits level 6 and learns Support Defense. Kind of risky with her but I think she can handle it. We wipe down everything down to one more battleship, two goons, and the boss. This mission is usually a lot less rough because you can take down way more enemies per turn, not so much this one. Koji and Hyoma I place way forwards for the goons to attack.

The goons attack Hyoma who runs a train on them. He even deflects an enemy attack as he one-shots both of them. The Combattler crew hit level 7, and we get some more restoration parts for next time cause holy god are we gonna need more EN for the Nadesico next mission. The last battleship trades fire with the Nadesico and dies, giving the crew their level 8. Gosterro goes right for Koji who I had the good sense to Guts back to full health, and much to my surprise Koji forces him to retreat with a 45% chance to hit. I probably should have picked something less damaging! I just wasn't expecting to land a shot!

This is only really a pain for the money we missed out on (parts hurt a little but we will have more than we can assign in this playthrough anyway). If we'd shot down Gale and Gosterro we might have increased our pay-day which means increasing our monies and making us stronger. Oh well! At least we survived!

Unlike everyone on Mars.

I'm not kidding either literally the only living humans on Mars now are aboard the Nadesico and motherfucker if we ain't going to bail as soon as we can.

Turn Count: 24

Next time: Gale gets owned.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 4: The Villains Managed One Whole Mission Before Backstabbing

Turns out Mars sucks and now we need to leave, but the Nadesico needs some replacement parts so we're off to a Nergal research facility. What were they researching? They're sure as heck not going to tell us till way later! Of course this corporation had an ulterior motive to their Mars rescue mission, but they did try to do the rescuing first before everyone died.

Char gets really upset about the thought he might die, Gai does weed to take the edge off. Koji is just like “Yeah honestly this happens to me weekly”

I warned you.

TIME FOR BATTLE I take Katia as my co-pilot for this one cause the game tells me it's my choice.
The enemy make-up is pretty similar to before, some Skullgunners and Battas together, Bravers with the two characters Karla and Gale, and two battleships.

Turn 1 Begin the smoosh of heroes and villains towards each other! I stick Koji waaaaay out in front this time because I'm tired of everyone dinging up my battleship.

Enemy phase time and Combattler V takes down two enemies and Char takes down one as they retaliate enemy attacks in the enemy phase. Mazinger takes some licks but manages to harm a good number of enemies.

Turn 2 I more or less hold position here, and all our units manage to take down a single enemy each. Even Sayaka! Char hits level 7.

Enemy phase the next wave moves in, and Mazinger Z and the Nadesico trade fire with the enemy battleships, and the enemy lose a lot of their guys to retaliation from my super robots. Even Sayaka is holding her own pretty well! I'm genuinely shocked. Karla hits Char and takes off half his health but he does the same in return.

Turn 3 Okay time to take care of some busines! Sayaka repairs Char, we focus down a Battleship, and then I have Char pop Focus to try to take down Karla. I forgot to use Bless or Cheer though so we get a modest amount of exp and cash, but a shitload of parts and modules. Chobham armour! That's going to be nice.

I did it. At last.

Enemy phase and the enemy actually goes for Sayaka, and she hits level 7. I'm not sure why but they're seriously ignoring the Nadesico this time, maybe I hung it just far enough back because they're going for my super robots who basically clean house. Mazinger has his Mazinpower up so they're not going to be surviving much of what he does. Certainly, he hits level 8 off the back of one-shotting one with a rocket punch. Combattler V gets in some good counter-damage too. Gale joins the fight, and even though it was a 12% hit chance Koji still tags him with a Rust Hurricane.

KOJI IS A GODDAMN BEAST drat YOUR STATISTICS.

Turn 4 We destroy everything except Gale, hoping this means he'll attack someone who can hit him and die. I have Sayaka pop Alert sand repair Koji and pop Wall on him just in case because even though Mazinger Z is tough enough to shrug off mook attacks, Gale can do some decent damage even against the Potential. I also suspect he might go for Sayaka.

I'm 100% right and Sayaka dodges an attack that would have probably hurt a lot. Time to pummel Gale!

Turn 5 This time I remember to Bless and Gain Combattler V, and with Strike on he's guaranteed to hit Gale with his best attack. It's a ridiculous amount of overkill and Hyoma gets 900 exp, hits level 9, and gains the spirit Luck (It's Bless but cast on the caster and no one else) to its bag of tricks. Gale drops and we enter part 2 of our adventure.

Gale is immediately betrayed by Gosterro and turns into a yellow unit on the map. Yellow units are a third side in the battle, often allies you can't control or enemies that will attack both sides. In this case he's an objective to protect. We can choose to approve or disapprove personally which is normally part of the secret but eh I usually approve so here we go let's make things a little harder on ourselves. Greimkaiser has literally 10 hp so our best thing to do is just surge straight at the enemy and not give them a chance to fight. Luckily he also drops right where we fought him so hanging back a little paid off. Time for wave 2 pretty much the same as the first one, and also the last mission too! Don't think I don't see you padding this poo poo out, Banpresto.

Enemy phase pushes on and yup same as before, mooks move and slightly tougher dudes hang back.

Turn 6 Mazinger Z and Char are the fastest so they're already able to wade in deep. I fire off a combo attack with Char to weaken more dudes, hurting one and killing another. Combo attacks are great. They're melee attacks that can be used to hit multiple enemies in a line, with the higher your pilot's Combo level the more enemies you can hit in sequence. Combo level 1 just lets us hit two, but as I said before those two got their butts beaten inwards.

Enemy phase and the enemy gets to moving the rest of their clowns up, everyone attacking Koji and generally getting their faces smacked because of it. Koji hits level 9 and his Potential level hits 4, so he's even tankier now. At his current low health the enemies can only do about 10 damage to him, the absolute minimum amount of damage possible. He also runs himself out of energy but I had a Propellant unit on him for a reason and can get that back up again.

Turn 7 Sayaka's repair festival hits her up to level 8, as Koji restores all his health and energy in preparation for fighting more battleships and probably Gosterro again.

Enemy phase and Koji just outright one-shots two Bravers with his Rocket Punch attack.

Turn 8 Gosterro and the two battleships are all that's left, so we get to work wounding one of them.

Enemy phase and the Nadesico returns fire on the wounded battleship and kills it, while winging the other one. Gosterro tags Koji and avoids the retaliation.

Turn 9 Oh god I hit turn 9 my perfect 8s record is ruined. Anyway the Nadesico and Koji down the battleship, and I set up to beat the beans out of Gosterro with Combattler V again. Only 300 exp this time but it's still a one-shot and Hyoma hits level 10. More sexy parts to use! Actual stat-influencing ones! Gosterro cries that he'll be back, and Gale thanks us by giving us the chance to surrender peacefully and then gives us 10 minutes before he sends all his units at us to kill us.

Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat. Luckily for us a character I won't be using dies, as does some other side-character from Nadesico, and we flee into a Tulip. What's a Tulip? It's a weird ship-like thing that can act like a portable wormhole. Go in one, come out another. The Jovians use them to send unmanned units at Earth, because as far as we're aware the warping process just annihilates all human beings.

Wait hold on a sec-

Turn count: 33

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 5: No One Can Defeat My TIME-SKIP

At no point in this mission will any destinies change. Oh right we jumped through a gate that killed everyone else who jumped through it let's see how it goes.

Apparently the jump through the Tulip made everyone sleepy. Some more embarrassingly than others. No sooner is everyone awake than they're excited we're getting to go to Earth, and then we're under attack by angry organic lifeforms in space. Good times.

I mean he's not wrong. Akito is super upset that Gai is dead and no one cares. We don't care because we can't field him as a unit shove OFF you dingaling.

Good advice.

Turn 1 Akito is a forced deploy so we stuff him inside the Nadeisco. We move our awesome foursome forward as a DEFENCE CUBE.

Radam have HP and EN regen at L which means they regen everything pretty rapidly, but they're pretty squishy so it's not nearly as worrying as you think. There's actually two kinds but I guess I forgot to screenshot them both. Don't worry they'll be back again very shortly for us to look at. The one I didn't screenshot has a tentacle attack that lowers your movement, which is very relevant for my dudes since they have no capacity to dodge so they're going to be moving pretty slow.

Enemy Phase Sayaka defends Koji from some tentacles, the rest move up on us.

Turn 2 The Nadesico makes use of a support attack from Char to kill one Radam. This causes Akito to a meltdown, leave the Nadesico and slide down to the corner of the screen in the middle of the enemy. Then he's rescued by another pilot who joins us and puts Akito back in his box, but he isn't on my list so he can go into the Nadesico too.

Back to combat, Sayaka kills the Radam that Koji weakened, while Char, Koji and Hyoma weaken some other Radam. I have Char moved ahead just to try to dodge tank the Radam due to the whole armour and movement dropping attacks we get stuck with.

Enemy phase is a lot of retaliation. The Nadesico gets a kill during this, and the Radam continue to swarm us. Char levels up to 9! Lots of enemies attack Char from just outside his range, which is a bit of a heart-breaker since our sub-pilot was already increasing our range.

Turn 3 Everyone but Koji gets a kill each, Char gets two from a combo attack.

Enemy phase and we keep our retaliating going, and Ruri warns us another wave is coming. This is SRWJ, there's ALWAYS another wave coming.

Turn 4 We clean up the last Radam of the first wave, Sayaka doing some repair work to hit level 9 and get Support Attack level 2. This playthrough might actually make me like her, partially because I can't put her in a hole and bury her forever.

The second wave spawns and it's another giant wall of Radam! But don't worry, we've got help!

Good advice.

Honestly this is the guy I'm the saddest about not getting to use due to this draft, and he kills three of the one million Radam for us via PLOT. That said he's a neutral in this one and honestly the Radam are going to beat the piss out of him very quickly and probably regen through all the damage he did. Nominally he's incredibly dodgy and small, hits like a truck, and dies to a gentle breeze.

Enemy phase and the Radam swarm our new arrival, only two coming to face us. Bit rude.

Neutral Phase Blade bops a Radam and dodges the return attack.

Turn 5 We destroy the two Radam that charged us, but goddamn the other ones are way too far away.

Enemy phase It takes five attempts but the Radam manage to get the two hits required to take out Blade. He drops out of the fight having wounded four Radam for us and we promise to pick him up after the fight. This means the other Radam come running for us! In a big, combo blob. If they move into the right position I might even be able to MAP them but we'll see.

Turn 6 We throw Guard on Combattler V and send it ahead for MAP luring purposes, and everyone else just starts working on the big blob. Koji and Char get a kill.

Enemy phase – The MAP might be necessary, since Combattler V's return fire shots kill a lot of enemies, as does the Nadesico and Yurika and co get level 9

Turn 7 We make sure every Radam is wounded, because we need those sweet sweet retaliation kills in the enemy phase.

Enemy phase maddeningly one of the Radam lives, taking us to Turn 8 and ensuring my turn number remains odd numbered from the previous 9 failure.

Turn 8 I throw Cheer and Bless on Sayaka to get the job done and she hits level 9.

Afterwards we learn we've been gone for 8 months. That's a little longer than we thought we were gone, because travelling through the wormhole and actually living seems to have done a little WARP TIME on us. They decide to call what we did BOSON JUMPING. In even better news the Radam have been seeding weird loving trees all over Earth and in spite of the fact we have TWO alien invasions now the UEFA and ZAFT are still fighting. At least we can tell them about the fact there's a larger and more murderous army behind the Jovian Lizards coming to fight.

Also now we're working for the UEFA and are heading off to a “neutral” space colony to try to repair, and Char learns he can't just go hide somewhere from the military once they get there, so he's safest sticking with the Nadesico as a Nergal employee. But still, after a long period of conflict the crew get to hang out, relax and recover. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh, the start of a Gundam story could happen I guess.

Next time on Super Robot Wars J! I hope you didn't like that space colony.

Turn Count: 41

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

You'd probably be better off living in Australia.

HEY all my stuff is there.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 6 – Guys this colony isn't a Drive-Thru

These next two missions are my favourite in the game because we're going to watch a space colony get destroyed and it's not going to fall on my house.

The Nadesico gets a no-fun-allowed co-helmswoman who used to be the President of Nergal's Personal Assistant. Who is the president? Eh we can't field him who cares. Anyway she ruins Yurika's plans to go on a date with Akito instead of doing her job, because we're on a neutral space colony not affiliated with the war what could possibly go wrong?

So here's just something to slap in right now, Gundam SEED follows a lot of the beats of the original Mobile Suit Gundam's story but does its own thing with them for good or ill. In particular the “neutral colony is being used to secretly develop the Federation's answer to the superior mobile suits of the enemy space colony people that are loving owning them” and that's exactly what this colony is doing! Where it changes up however is that there's not just one Gundam, there's five of them. They also just call them “G” units gently caress that they're Gundams.

A group of young men infiltrate the colony with the purpose of taking those machines, under the cover of an attack by Gundam SEED's Char equivalent. This attack has the immediate affect on the stability of a space colony that you'd expect.

The protagonist of SEED is Kira, and he ends up in the cockpit of the only Gundam that doesn't get gotten by the ZAFT boys. He's a Coordinator which means he's been genetically modified as a baby to be super excellent at everything, which comes in handy in making the operating system for the machine he's in actually work. Contrary to what he says here he'll be finding the time to cry a LOT.

Oh and one of the people who took the Gundams was his best friend who he'd fallen out of contact with. Look at those faces hahahaha.

Okay time for battle.

This battlefield is a lot more cluttered than previous ones, which can influence the movement of both your units and the enemy units. The enemy units are all exactly the same unit, so let's take a look at it.

GINN units are more or less what you expect from early mook units of average size with no particular gimmicks to them. Miguel is barely better as a pilot because honestly he's even less of a character than the Gradosians. Those guys have conflicts and character, I've not watched much of SEED but generally speaking I know no one ever talks about Miguel. Gundam series often times just have a named pilot that sticks around for a little bit and then dies so the larger villains can get mad or sad, which makes the fact a kid named Rusty got loving shot dead in the intro to SEED as part of the infiltration team and this game doesn't even waste a pixel on a portrait even though he was right in one of the scenes that happens. RIP Rusty.

Oh right video game let's go.

Turn 1 We need to get Kira out of there because we don't want him fighting. That's a penalty if he does fight but it's also a little tricky trying to get down there cause my units aren't the fastest and the ground-based Mazinger troops will struggle to move through cliffs and forests. Combattler V goes tearing in with accel, with my hope being I can just sorta bait them on Hyoma instead. Combattler softens one up and Char finishes it off, levels up to 10 and has his Potential hit level 2. I have Kira pop accel and just run off in the hopes no one attacks him.

Enemy Phase it actually works and the enemies all go for Combattler, who responds by crotch-nuking one enemy unit and reducing another two to almost no health for the clean-up that's coming.

Turn 2 Kira accels his way into the Nadesico, and I start working my way downwards with my team. Char combos two enemies out of existence, the Nadesico softens another up and Koji kills it to hit level 10 and learn Strike. THIS is a game changer. Mazinger Z can now hit dodgy bosses. Fantastic. Sayaka repairs Combattler who softens up another GINN. EXP is definitely giving diminishing returns now, though obviously not for Sayaka who is getting good exp from healing equal-or-higher level friends.

Enemy phase the GINNs keep coming and keep bouncing off our boys. Sayaka actually dodges an attack. This is incredible believe me. It turns out all I needed was

Turn 3 We get closer to Miguel and Koji gives a GINN in some good cover a biff, everyone else gets ready to retaliate against whatever ZAFT throws at us while cleaning up more GINNs. It's not a hard fight.

Enemy phase another GINN falls but Miguel hangs out at long range to just be annoying.

Turn 4 We wipe out the first wave, with Koji doing the honors on Miguel. This gives us another Battleship! Yeah this is the other Battleship of the game, the Archangel. We also have another ally arrive that we also cannot use. Get used to this we're going to be seeing a lot of that for a lot of time. Kira leaps out in his freshly kitted out machine and I stuff him back in the Archangel, who moves to meet up with my mighty blob. Char heads out in front to try to dodge-tank everything.

Since we can't put the battleships inside of other battleships we have to use the Archangel! In terms of general strength I'd say the Archangel isn't nearly as strong as the Nadesico largely because it lacks the all-encompassing barrier and instead has something called Laminate Armour, that reduces the damage of beam attacks at the cost of 10 EN. It does come packing more attacks than the Nadesico, and more armour so it's still pretty tanky.

Like the Nadesico you have a choice of two pilots, though in this case there's almost no good reason to change because there's very little difference between them stat-wise. Right now there's only one pilot and one sub-pilot but that will change, and they give us access to the spirits Wall, Focus, Break and Guard. Both Murrue and Natarle have Potential and Commander skills at level 1 which further reinforces how very much nothing your option for Captain is.

Here's how our enemies have arrayed themselves for the second wave.

Here's a more appropriate boss! Rau Le Creuset in his CGUE can do some decent damage and some pretty crazy range on him too. He also has Hit and Run which means he can damage us from far away, and then move in afterwards which robs us of our important counter-attacks and counter-kills that we need so much for faster turns as though I've actually been playing these turns fast or something.

Enemy Phase has most enemies go for Char, but Combattler V and the Archangel are just far enough forwards for a few enemies to bother them. The Archangel outright annihilates the one that dared to look sideways at it, which is nice.

Turn 5 We get that extra unit who is named Mu, into the Nadesico for safe keeping, and kick off our fight against the ZAFT boys. Mazinpower kicks in, and I realise I've parked my troops on a location with 30% defense and massive HP and EN boosts so I just aim to put my battleships there while the rest of my team moves up since the GINN boys are actually pretty nippy and not blocked by terrain to get near us.

Enemy phase the Nadesico counter-kills a GINN and its crew hits level 10. Yurika learns Daunt. This is a big deal! Daunt lowers the hit-rates of all enemies on the map for one turn. Creuset bashes up Koji from extreme range but then moves up to say hello up close to our everybody. Thanks, IDIOT.

Turn 6 sees us kill everyone else and wound the Char-wannabe with Koji. Time to see who he'll bounce off and die against on his turn.

Enemy phase Creuset chooses Koji and eats BREASTO FIRE to the teeth.

So we see off our enemies for now but the Nadesico and Archangel crews agree to team up because IT'S NOT OVER YET.

Turn Count: 47

Next time on Super Robot Wars J: A Four-G Network.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 7: Kira me a river

More like Heliflopios Space Colony! poo poo's gotten real and straight after our initial fight we're aware that the ZAFT forces are more than willing to go to some extreme lengths to wipe us out due to how potentially strong a resource we are for the UEFA.

Your father sent you off to Mars to die, Sayaka. Everyone also talks about Kira's debut battle and how he managed to operate a special unit from the get-go with no prior experiences. Koji reminisces about a certain someone else who got into a robot and screamed a lot.

The weird part for everyone is that event wasn't too long ago for them but they went into a wormhole so that happened like 9 months ago do their birthdays have to get rearranged this is complicated. On the Archangel Natarle immediately catches a bad case of the SEEDs and starts wanting to lock up half their fighting force (you know, because they only have TWO PILOTS) and refuses to believe Yurika is a good commander. Boo this woman! Boo her!

Hyoma is such a great character for someone with such little plot relevance.

TIME FOR BATTLE. We get a shitload of the GINNs, Miguel is back again to get his butt kicked, and now we actually have another enemy battleship!

Nazca-class! Not really a fitting name but hey, you can name your ship designs off-of things from Peru it's cool it's fine. These guys are beefier in health than the Jovian Lizard stuff due to a lack of field, but will still take just about as long to shoot down. I did forget to mention that almost all ZAFT forces actually do have a special trait to them, they have Coordinator (because that's what they all are) and what that does is enhance a unit's stats the higher their will. Worth noting. For this next mission Kira and Mu are forced deployments.

Turn 1 We load Kira and Mu back into my battleships and off we go surging forwards.

Enemy phase some enemies approach, some stay. The usual.

Turn 2 Mazinger leads, everyone else follows, the enemy is still out of range.

Enemy phase the enemy finally gets themselves in range. Most attack Koji in his range and get bopped. The rest just move up.

Turn 3 Now we move in and clock everyone Koji clipped. Pretty simple, lots of kills, and Ruri warns us another wave of reinforcements will arrive when we take some more units out. Koji remains ahead to attact all the attention.

Enemy phase is just how it always is, and Mazinpower activates. Some other enemies attack the Archangel and it is support defended by nearby allies, murdering things in retaliation and hitting level 9!

For some reason an event happens where Koji makes sure to let Kira know he really appreciates his help. This triggers another wave of enemies to arrive which is kinda nice I had been expecting that to happen once I'd wiped everyone in the first wave out. Within this wave we get four little boss boys in the form of the four stolen G Units, and two Nazcas along with the GINNs. I didn't bother posting another map, they've deployed in the top right of the map, a map with no defining features basically.

Another little thing between Kira and Athrun happens. It's a lot of melodrama.

Back into it and Miguel attacks Koji and the second wave moves in apart from the G UNITS.

So we've got ourselves a bit of a rogue's gallery here. I like the idea about the G units and how they were produced, each taking different ideas down different paths. Kira got the unit that has modular parts for different functions. Athrun got a transforming suit (I think it turns into a claw?). Yzak got the basic model and will get a gimmick later. Dearka has the long-range unit with big beamu attacks. Nicol likes to play the piano-I mean Nicol has a unit with stealth functions for ambush tactics. All of them have special armour that helps mitigate damage, Athrun, Yzak and Nicol have a chance of taking out a shield to mitigate some damage, and Nicol has special ability on his G that lets him just flat avoid an attack regardless of your hit rate on him should it activate on a 50% chance (if his Will is high enough). I hate it.

Turn 4 The battleships claim some kills and Sayaka tops up Koji's health a little, bringing her to level 11. I think that makes her the highest level unit in the game right now? Kinda weird. We whittle down the battleship and then get ready to get slammed into by the second wave.

Enemy phase the enemy battleship uses a MAP attack! It's basically an attack that hits tiles in a certain pattern specific to the weapons. This shot targets Char and Hyoma, and only lightly tickles Hyoma because Char can dodge. Miguel tries to attack the Archangel but fails because the Nadesico support defends and completely nullifies all damage.

Turn 5 Next turn we're gonna get slapped with a real big wave of enemies, so I figure the best thing I can do is just Daunt and lower their capacity to do anything. I have Combattler V buff up and take out Miguel, pushing us to level 11. The Combattler crew learn the spirit Assault which makes all weapons post-movement (can be fired after moving).

That's what a MAP attack looks like! We wound two enemies and kill a third. Sadly the Nadesico hasn't got enough Will to do theirs or we could clean up some more so we just use its missile to get the job done.

Enemy phase and the Archangel is targeted by anyone that can aim at it, which is fine because it needs to catch up on levels. Speaking of which, it hits level 10 and Murrue learns the Guts spirit and Support Defence level 1. The Nadesico pops a few, I Gravity Wave Blast quite freely here since we have EN to spare right now.

Turn 6 We destroy one of the two battleships and then wound the other one as best we can. Our lack of numbers kind of hurts us against meatier targets.

Enemy phase and the battleship MAPs us. The enemy moves in and Gs attack. Yzak goes for the PunchBot, but misses and Char hits him, then also hits level 11. Buster Gundam goes for Combattler and takes a rocket to the face for his trouble. Nicol misses but his complete rear end bullshit mirage colloid protects him from retaliation. Athrun attacks and fails to do much of note and that's it!

Turn 7 The battleships combine to wipe out the enemy battleship, which leaves us with four units and four Gs. Sayaka the Duel almost down with help from Char, and he bails. Ultimate sad face. Char combos both the Buster and Aegis. Koji busts the Buster and hits level 11. Combattler V chases Athrun off.

Enemy phase this leaves Nicol, and he attacks the Nadesico and takes a little damage.

Turn 8 Nicol's ability to just dodge crap means we drop him to retreat level as fast as we can, just to see him off. Kind of a relief.

The colony collapses. Good times. Natarle tries to win a prize for being the absolute worst human being possible by wanting to refuse anyone helping a busted escape pod, and everyone on the Nadesico is super nice to Kira, he hates it. They find a girl named Flay and Koji hits on her in front of Sayaka.

A TRUE HERO.

Turn Count: 55

Next time on Super Robot Wars J! Natarle saves the day but we all still hate her.

Kira's crying sounds like a whale dying of dysentry.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

You are having way too much fun with this RoboKy, and it's great.

Thank you! I always enjoy playing J, and while I consider an actual SRW LP to be more work than I have the time to put out, this little thing is a nice approximation where I only explain like a third of what's going on and post funny pictures.

With Assault, Hyoma can now very aggressively pelvic thrust.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 8: We did Natarle see this coming, did we?

Oh good another two-parter. The last one ended in a space colony exploding.

While pursuing us to kill us, Creuset lets Athrun know that a bunch of people doing a memorial for that one PLANT colony that got nuked were attacked, and Athrun's wife-to-be was there. Athrun wants to stay with the pursuit but Creuset tells him the decision is out of their hands, the order came from Athrun's father, who is in charge of ZAFT forces.

Creuset is a bit of a dick sometimes but he's not wrong.

Meanwhile by pure coincidence our cast of heroes are out in a massive debris field full of dead things, trying to get all the salvage they can because they need more supplies. It's hard to get your luggage when the space colony is exploding, you see. Wouldn't you know it, they find a PLANT escape pod!

Hah hah! As if that would ever happen! Oh that wacky David, he's dying alone for sure! Kira takes the pod to the Archangel and...

Put it back.

PUT IT BACK

Anyway that's Lacus Clyne! She's the daughter of the guy in charge of the PLANTs! Which is different to ZAFT I need to remind you all. Everyone ruminates on how they lucked into a VIP that might help prevent them getting into more trouble, but plenty of folks baulk at the idea of treating her like a hostage.

Anyway Lacus meets Flay who has a racist explosion about Coordinators and sympathises with the non-genetically enhanced supremacist group, and we learn a bunch of UEFA dudes including Flay's father are coming to help crew the Archangel and resupply it. Apparently Flay's father was in charge of the entire G unit project! Everyone important in the world can be found in space life-pods I guess.

Oh and Flay's dad is under attack now so she asks Kira to save him. The only reason anyone even goes to help is because Yurika declares the Nadesico will go do it even if the Archangel doesn't, because Natarle believes the best thing to do is to leave them to occupy Creuset and his hunting team and retreat as far away as possible. Yurika is a good person. Natarle blames Murrue for this for some reason?

Thanks to a pep talk from Koji that I didn't mention. the Archangel has four more crew members with spirit pools now in the form of Kira's four friends. This is the Archangel at its strongest and we're going to watch it get weaker as time goes on. The spirits added to our pool are Scan, Accel, Alert, Cheer, Trust and Luck. Actually a really good collection.

Enemy composition is a bunch of GINNS, Miguel, the Duel and the Buster Gundams, and a battleship. Kira and Mu are force deploys.

This is most of Dearka's characterisation by the way. He thinks all non-Coordinators sit around all day sniffing their own gonads. When really it's just David.

Turn 1 We load Kira and Mu back into the goddamn ships and off we go. This map is heavily filled with debris but we try to push forwards as best we can.

Enemy phase they head off same as always and struggle to get anywhere too.

Turn 2 Combattler is the only unit to get close enough to dish out some damage, and expecting him to take a lot too I throw on Guard to mitigate the damage.

Enemy phase Zaft mostly opens fire on the Combattler crew and get dusted up for their trouble. The Gs start to move in after that.

Turn 3 Moving in, our hero crew wipes out about five enemy units and awaits enemy retaliation.

Enemy phase sees the Nadesico get some attention, and the small exp gained is enough to send the crew to level 11 which throws Trust into their spirit pool. All three of our named enemies go for the Archangel, and due to their dodginess they only manage to wing the Buster, but it's a hell of a wing-job.

Turn 4 HELLO THIS IS NADESICO MAP ATTACK SPEAKING and it manages to kill the mook there and almost kill the Buster. The Duel continues to dodge really well. Char combos through the Buster and taps the Duel as well. I have the Archangel buff itself up as best it can, but the Duel survives the big shot that comes its way largely because it put up a shield to defend itself. Ruri warns us we need to go faster to rescue everyone but that's not possible.

Uh but don't tell her that.

Enemy Phase the enemy battleship continues to pick a fight with the Nadesico's Gravity Wave that it cannot win. Yzak uses a repair kit on himself, the huge rear end, and takes a licking from the Archangel AGAIN. Miguel is not so lucky and the Archangel sends him packing, and all the newbies in the ship hit level 9. We get Vigor as a spirit from that.

Turn 5 Sayaka does some healing and hits level 12, and learns Strike! Koji wipes out the battleship, and Char sends the Duel packing to hit level 12.

Creuset is part of Wave 2 come to ruin our day. Nicol is around but apparently hidden, and Athrun says he's on his way back to come fight. So this second wave is Creuset, a big bunch of GINNs and a battleship for now.

I finish my turn by refuelling the Archangel with Propellant and let the enemy start zooming towards me.

Enemy Phase Yeah they zooming.

Turn 6 Char is actually the best ranged unit right now and hits a GINN, Koji follows up to tag another, and also activates Mazinpower. Nice. The Archangel I have hold its ground and ranged tag the enemy, and I keep the Combattler back cause my hope is to have Char and Koji do the necessary enemy attraction since they saw less abuse in the first wave.

Enemy Phase has my plan mostly start working, Koji bounces to level 12 as a result. Thing is the GINNs have a really respectable long range attack, so the Archangel still has some fighting to do, and Murrue and Natarle hit level 12. Murrue gets Potential Level 2 and Natarle gets Support Defense level 1 which means suddenly the two commanders actually have some measure of difference between them. A little further combat and the kids of the Archangel hit level 10 but don't give us anything new to play with.

Turn 7 we don't really do too much damage. Koji keeps ahead but I can't quite get Char into a combo position because of the space debris slowing him down.

Enemy phase and the Archangel just starts wasting the enemy. It has quite a few nice ammo based attacks that do respectable damage and that's how we lessen the number of foes on the field. Creuset bullies Koji a bit but it's fine.

Turn 8 Koji gets repaired and I move to try to put my battleships in a position to entice the enemy into engaging them. Works a treat. Creuset attacks Sayaka which is surprising but I'm okay with it. Then much to my surprise my almost killing the battleship triggers the event that ends the stage, so I get no bonus cash or items from either it or Creuset. That's what I get for having a rusty memory and forgetting this stage ends when one or the other is beaten or reduced to retreat-level! Then again it kept the turn count down didn't it? I suppose I can't complain.

Athrun turns up and Nicol appears much where you'd expect him to, nearby and pointing a big gun at the bridge of the Archangel asking everyone to surrender or he'll shoot. Everyone has a nice lengthy exposition about how the Blitz has the ability to avoid visual and radar detection.

Thank you, Hyoma.

Natarle politely informs the ZAFT forces that our heroes have Lacus. Attacking the Archangel essentially would mean “We cannot guarantee her safety” which is a nice vague space between “If you blow us up she might die” and “If you blow us up she will definitely die” that Natarle follows up by saying “If you attack us we will loving kill her” which probably crossed the line a little.

Yeah I hear ya Ruri, let me put on my cap with the creepy metal skull on it.

Creuset sees the writing on the wall and orders a retreat, though his inner monologue suggests he doesn't really care for holding back just because of one person. Athrun gets to sound like a hero and tells Kira he WILL rescue his wife-to-be.

Everyone with a soul storms aboard the Archangel angrily, and Natarle doesn't bother to try to explain her actions, leaving it to Mu who does rightly point out that it was a very us versus them situation. No one's happy and it's a moral stalemate

Flay is taking it well at least. I like to imagine she just sort of swaggered up to Kira and shoved him when she said this. Then she starts calling Coordinators mutants and Kira just walks out having probably had the worst day of his life capped off with a mourning girl screaming in his face about how he let her dad die.

Seriously it's like the sound you'd get if you fed a whale a vindaloo plankton or something if you lowered the pitch on it and added some creaking noises it would be a dead ringer for the Titanic sinking or something. Did I mention Birdy is a little robot bird friend that Athrun made for him? Athrun also made the Haro that Lacus keeps around. Lacus sort of pops out and talks to Kira. Apparently her Haro can just unlock doors and whatnot, which tells me that Athrun was at one point way too competent to be in SEED. She drops the whole “Oh yeah your probably former best friend and I are betrothed” thing on Kira and the episode ends.

Turn Count: 64

Next Time of Super Robot Wars J: Kira was right and Natarle hates it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super Roboky Draft Wars Episode 9: Kira-ing me softly

Oh boy it's time for part two! Also for hitting save-state instead of screen capture. Still less of a terrible mistake than SEED Destiny! Anyway our journey across SPACE AND MORE SPACE has the crew being hunted by Creuset who is still debating the whole “Kill Lacus and save the timeline” thing he has going. We're almost to Earth! Kira's friends talk about how they overheard Kira and Lacus talking about Athrun and are worried about how Kira is handling it. They also realise they probably shouldn't tell Flay on account of her currently not coping and screaming about space mutants.

EVERYONE'S REALLY BAD AT TALKING QUIETLY.

Hey remember that guy we picked up who was screaming in space and got his rear end kicked? He wakes up, claims he has amnesia and literally no one believes him, then passes out again. We've got a nickname for him now thanks to Noel, a character I haven't mentioned till now because I can't use him and also he's had pretty much no relevancy to the story at any time till now.

Fun fact! In the english dub of Tekkaman Blade (which was called Teknoman) Noel's name was Ringo. His combat-buddy Aki was named Star. That was probably the first time in my life I realised people just sometimes made nonsensical references to things. I still loving loved that show.

Back with Kira, he decides he isn't down for this whole hostage thing and plans to give Lacus back to the ZAFT and hope they just kindly gently caress off. Before they get far, they're confronted by Koji and Hyoma who were informed by Kira's friends how he was acting, and that they figured this would happen-

-and that they completely agree with him and going to help because THAT'S WHAT HEROES DO. Akito and Char are waiting in the hangar bay with Kira's friends and help them escape. Security realises what's happening but it's too late and they set off to make the trade.

Natarle flails wildly on the bridge screaming about how we need to shoot everyone now and Yurika's response reinforces that she's the best character in the show.

Kira and Athrun talk again and Kira reiterates that this whole time he's been protecting his friends who are stuck on the Archangel, and Athrun reiterates that he has to take down the Archangel and will fight Kira if he has to.

To the surprise of no one Creuset goes “Well no more hostage let's just kill them all” and ZAFT reinforcements pop out ready to go.

Lots of people don't like Lacus but I like her in J. She very politely hauls Creuset up by his underpants and tells him to not gently caress things up right now. So ends this particular pursuit.

So begins the next one.

Mazinger Z, Combattler V, Punchbot, Strike Gundam and Akito Aestivalis are all forced deploys, which means only Sayaka has to be deployed and we have to stuff those two idgits back in their box.

Here's that one Radam type I hadn't screenshot the first time, the one with the movement lowering tentacle attack.

Turn 1 We send Char out east (space-east) to dodge-tank, and Koji out west (space-west) to face-tank.

Enemy phase has some foes get tickled and that's about it!

Turn 2 Archangel and Combattler to back up Char, Nadesico and Sayaka to back up Koji! Split lines are inefficient but eyyy whatever. Sayaka repairs Mazinger and hits level 13. Some Radam die and no one cares.

Enemy Phase Mazinpower activates and Mazinger Z starts massacring Radam. Combattler V does a fair bit of that on its end too.

Turn 3 I have to be careful here, because I'm poised to wipe out the enemy on their turn, but if I do I think Tekkaman Blade enters the field and I don't want him getting attacked.

Enemy phase the Radam spawn in before the first wave is dead, which actually kind of surprises me. I really haven't played this game in ages and my memory keeps loving me. Luckily Blade appears next to the Nadesico which is a fancier target so I can tuck him into the battleship next turn.

I just like Tekkaman Blade okay let me have this moment if I can't have the unit. Oh and we apparently never told the Archangel crew about D-Boy so I guess we need to give them a sit-rep.

Thanks, Yurika!

With the enemy we also have a boss! Tekkaman Dagger! Much the same as Blade, he's a glass cannon with small hp regen and huge en regen. He's got lots of other stuff too like Potential, Command and Hit and Run but in all honesty the big thing with him is he's hard to hit so bring Strike because Focus likely won't cut it.

Turn 4 After stuffing Blade back into the Nadesico we surge forth to fight THE ENEMY. That's about it.

Enemy phase the enemy die in droves atop the Nadesico and Combattler V. It's good bug destruction! Dagger goes for Char, who even with Focus cast only has a 78% chance to hit him.

Turn 5 The last of the Radam are wiped out, leaving Dagger to mess with us. But we've got lots of Strike to play with but even tapping him like this he's going to regen a little.

Enemy Phase Koji takes some murder to the face but manages to hit Dagger on a 33% chance.

Turn 6 Koji and Char team up to lower Dagger's health, then I buff up the Combattler V crew to finish the job. This pushes them to level 12, and nets us a LOT of items. Dagger was loving loaded.

We win but now the Jovian Lizards are bearing down on us. Earth is kinda hosed huh? Realising we can't beat the enemy everyone resolves to just try to get down to Earth via re-entry. This of course means that when the team enters the stratosphere more Radam will attack. The Archangel is harassed into landing in Africa, and the Nadesico proves the UEFA guys wrong and moves to protect them AGAIN rather than abandoning them to the wind like they keep saying will happen.

Morons.

Lacus just fails to take any of this melodrama seriously while her Haro hurls abuse at its own creator, and Flay comes to the internal decision that Kira's resolve is wavering and she has to do something about it or she'll never get revenge for her father. While we won't see her solution just yet, it's going to be precisely the same solution suggested by everyone when dealing with young men piloting robots and having an emotional crisis in the process.

Turn Count: 70

Next time on Super Robot Wars J!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Let's Play Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 10: This Sand of Mine is Burning Rash

You can't gather darkness ya idjits it's not a thing you can put in a box. Also this update is going to be pretty big cause a lot more happens this time.

We check the Radam trees and Char talks about how he's had that weird princess dream again. It makes his head hurt apparently. His head.

The Archangel is hosed by the way, heavily damaged and sitting in ZAFT held territory in Africa. Luckily the Nadesico has several people who can just look at a piece of technology and fix that poo poo right up. Good on them! Natarle is worried they'll see some SECRET TECH and it's like lady their ship has an energy barrier and shoots loving gravity your stanky legged ship has “laminate” plate or something.

Flay begins the first step of “Operation: Get Kira to Kill All Coordinators” by apologising and telling Kira she hates war but also needs revenge. Kira's not exactly so sure how he feels about this but eh he's heard worse.

Thanks to help from the Nadesico nerds the Archangel now has access to special atmospheric fighter craft that can use the same special combat packs as the Strike Gundam. This would be awesome if we had access to them because you can put the sword pack on them and you get a plane with a giant loving sword on it.

Akatsuki likes tits. Actually he just wants to know how things went with Kira and co running off with Lacus. Apparently the fact Kira and his friends are civilians and everyone else were Nadesico crew members means Natarle can eat poo poo. They got sternly told off, that's about it.

Yurika grills our D-Boy about what he wants to do, and all he wants to do is punch the Radam. He's not really down for anything else. Everyone is annoyed with how rude he is about it, not realising that they're about to get someone who makes D-Boy's manners look like motherfucking A+ etiquette exam results.

The Combattler crew are really good at zingers. Everyone makes a good case for D-Boy sticking around to help them and he even offers to let them look at his transformation crystal, voicing disappointment when the brains trust of the Nadesico can't figure it out. The amnesia thing might be bullshit but there's a lot D-Boy clearly doesn't know outside of “I want to made the Radam die”

The conversation is interrupted. Jovian Lizards are nearby being assaulted by an unknown force, and Koji tells Char to join him on a scouting mission. I'm assuming Mazinger Z is going to uproot some Radam Trees and hold them in front of him as camo. Akito, Ryoko (yes another character I never introduced) and Mu decide to come along too.

Oh no! It's the face of the villains that were pursuing the punchbot in the very first episode! They're wiping the floor with the unmanned Jovian units, and they're joined by a superior we hadn't met before who chides them for getting into battle while they were supposed to be doing test-runs on their machines.

They're finishing off the Jovians when our scouting crew arrives, and the immediately recognise the Punchbot. These unknown foes immediately go for what they used to finish off the enemy before.

ZA WORLDO.

All the good guys are frozen in place except the Punchbot. The Punchbot almost immediately retorts almost on its own by un-stopping time, unfreezing all our allied units. The enemy can't figure it out, and decide to attack anyway, and it turns out they outclass our dudes a fair bit. Akito, Koji and Char all take damage, and when Mu goes for the command unit his attacks are simply blocked outright. Things look dire!

A new ally arrives, hitting absolutely no one but hitting in an extremely large area. Ja-Mu runs to engage and walks straight into a trap that damages his unit, care of the weird girl with the blonde hair that was on board Heliopolis that Kira yelled at that one time to get to shelter. Her name is Cagalli! Small world! Al-Van tells Ja-Mu to retreat and they all bail, leaving us feeling silly but at least alive.

Small chat tells us that these folks are part of the anti-ZAFT resistance, the big giant combiner robot in particular a part of some weird secret paramilitary force for justice called Mithril. Our chat is cut short though, as the Nadesico arrives and announces “RADAM”, and both Kira and Blade deploy on their own, and I put out Combattler V and Aphrodite A to join the party.

Turn 1 We've got quite a few units we're going to have to stuff into the Nadesico on this one, and one thing worth noting is all the damage we took in the premission thing sticks, so Char and Koji are starting out with winged units. Both have Potential though so it's less of a problem especially against the Radam. Big issue with this map is mostly going to be navigating the dunes, since they act as rougher terrain to move though and provide a little bonus defence as a result. It also doesn't help the map is so huge! We're going to have the added problem of forging north right till something appears in the south.

Enemy phase and the Radam do this weird thing where the ground-based ones move off but the flying ones stay in place. Needless to say I think the turn number is going to be huge.

Turn 2 The Nadesico scoops up all our non-draft members that were on patrol. It's a bit of a clown car right now isn't it? Combattler V and Mazinger Z are able to get into combat range, so at the very least there'll be a boshing coming.

Enemy phase and Combattler V drops the hurt on everyone who looks at it funny care of the crotch rocket.

Turn 3 I put a combo module on Hyoma before this battle so hey hey, now we can do even more combos! Combos are good, always do combos. Char does combos!

Enemy phase we have Mazinger Z activate Mazinpower after taking some licks, and a lot of Radam die.

Turn 4 Has almost all the Radam dead, and there's only three left standing after we do some sweeping.

Enemy phase two of the Radam go down, and we wound the third.

Turn 5 We get ready and kill that last Radam, and now...

The Death Army units are here and honestly? Not much to them. They have DG Cells which means they regenerate pretty rapidly, but they're kinda garbage aside from that.

Enemy phase Our new friends come zooming in from both the east and west sides of the map and two of them just plain suicide on Mazinger Z.

Turn 6 The Nadesico is pretty nicely placed to hit three jerks with a MAP, and Sayaka does some healing to hit level 14. Char and Koji are on the west side doing what they can, Combattler does some effective murderation.

Enemy Phase and the entire west flank just outright DIES smashing ineffectually against Koji. I've given him a part I earned previously that restores 10% of his EN every turn so his sustain is way too good now. We're a little too efficient now though, and we run into a bit of a problem.

Five enemy units arrive and one of them is very, very big.

AND HIS NAME IS KYOJIIIIIIII open office now autocompletes adding all the extra i's to the kyoji it's great. Then as you probably expected Domon turns up in his Gundam and angrily goes Super Mode to gently caress some poo poo up.

Domon takes out one of the Death Army units that spawned in a scripted battle and immediately tells everyone to gently caress off and stay out of his way or he'll kick their rear end. Our rear end-kickers respond how you'd imagine they would.

Thank you, Ruri.

Thank you, Koji. Who is not KYOJIIIIIIIIIIIIII

The enemy phase continues and I tell Domon to evade everything, since I can't use him to fight and I need to get him to a battleship asap. It's kind of annoying but event-forced deployments are like that.

The Devil Gundam is the first real “Boss” Boss of SRWJ. All the other guys have had somewhat reasonable health bars on par with battleships while being slightly squishier. Not so in the case of the Devil Gundam. It has a huge amount of health, and regenerates it at a pretty sizeable amount, tending to wipe about 4000 or so damage you did in the previous turn off the board. On one hand I don't have a huge number of units to use to throw damage on this guy, but on the other hand I can throw a lot of damage care of all but one of the units I can use being strong.

Turn 7 There's not many enemies left, but the Devil Gundam will be a fair bit of work, and we're slowly converging. I'm not expecting a Turn 8 ending here.

Enemy Phase there's not really that much to say at this point, we're just whittling down the enemy.

Turn 8 The Nadesico does its job and MAPs its way to level 12, adding another instance of Alert to the pool. Koji trades fire with the Devil Gundam and hits level 13.

Enemy phase and Kyoji hits us with a MAP of his own. Bloody rude that is. No one dies, just a lot of damage goes around.

Turn 9 Here comes the least fun part of our journey. The Devil Gundam is a ginormous meat-wall that regenerates drastically. It's going to take a few turns to drag this guy down with our small numbers. Combattler V hits level 13

Enemy phase and we get MAP'd again.

Turn 10 We fail to drag this giant blob of regenerating health down, but we're getting there.

Enemy phase MAP

Turn 11 At last we bring the big boy down, and it takes everything we have to do it. Char gets the final blow with the last of his EN, and-

Yeah I think we all thought that would happen. The Devil Gundam restores all its health to full, and then runs off giggling over the horizon. Rain acts to reign in Domon and encourages him to be nicer. It doesn't take.

Aboard the vessel we welcome the Dancouga crew and also ask Domon the most important of questions.

We get the usual explanation. Big weird and ugly was built to try to fix up planet Earth, but in an act blamed on Domon's Kyoji the Gundam was hijacked, their mother was killed, and the authorities locked Domon's dad into suspended animation as they blamed much of it on him.

Haha yeah D-Boy imagine having to fight your own family that'd be hosed up huh?

An olive branch is extended to Domon to join us, we help keep him supplied and he fights alongside us while we travel and hopefully track down our buddy the Devil Gundam as we go. Everyone marvels at how Yurika seems so willing to take lots of weirdos on, she retorts that having more weirdos means more friends to help out when poo poo gets hosed. Mu admits the military mindset is more or less the opposite, but doesn't note that this has resulted in everyone who matters wanting to live on the Nadesico instead of the Archangel because Natarle is a giant loving idiot.

Kira returns and Flay is waiting for him. She cares a lot about her personal Coordinator-killing machine after all. This is just step two of her plan. Step three is a bit of an escalation that is going to happen on the path split that's coming soon but it's mostly going to involve horizontal nude folk-dancing which makes things a bit awkward since you know, that guy Sai that's one of Kira's friends was her boyfriend. Was.

Cagalli and Kira meet again. Cagalli decks Kira. I guess she remembered him!

All the commanders get together and start discussing what they should do next. Africa belongs to ZAFT... well the bits that don't belong to the big wormhole Tulips spitting out Jovian Lizard attack drones, and the Radam all hanging around making trees and eating people. But the rest is totally ZAFT's!

She's lying Kira she totally wanted to do it. Apparently she was really worried about him after he got her to safety, and the idea he was piloting a Gundam only seemed to upset her more at the time so she just wanted to loving punch him. Everyone else works on a plan. The Archangel needs to work its way to the UEFA base in Alaska via the Indian Ocean, so the Nadesico offers to go decoy and sail really obviously to the north to go decoy, then swerve off to Japan once they're all clear.

I like that blind faith! Yurika also answers the obvious question regarding splitting their battleships, and divides our forces up for the journey. Natarle hates this idea because OH MY GOD SHUT UP NATARLE.

Thank you, D-Boy.

Now comes the important part of any SRW game. We've got a choice to make and we have to send Char to either the Archangel or the Nadesico. If we go with the Archangel we will have literally none of the units in our draft so we don't really have an illusion of choice here. Char has a moment where he talks about fighting to protect your blah blah blah we know it's all so we don't have to put up with Natarle.

We will never see anything happen involving this guy until like 100 missions from now.

Also our enemies are horrified their super secret weapon has already been sent to the own zone. Did you try stopping time and starting it again?

Turn Count 81

Next time on Super Robot Wars J! The crew are grounded.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 11: STOP SPAWNING DEATH ARMY I BEG YOU

This was an actual episode in MSD, but it's going to get very very weird for us. Anyway a whole lot of stuff happened and-

-I... can't we?

Fun fact: English translators dread Izumi because almost everything she says is a pun, and Japanese puns are translator kryptonite.

Okay so the mission we have here is apparently the Gridosians/Jovian Lizards have set up a giant motherfucking railgun or something in an old military base the UEFA have lost and this thing is blasting literally everything out of the sky that looks at them funny. We need to go in and beat it up. Also they called it the “Walking Stick” presumably because it looks like a giant stick, and you can't approach it from the air so you're going to be walking to it.

Remember Mithril? Well they have a super submarine commanded by a teenage girl, and they've decided to send us some help because the Walking Stick might be too much for us or something. Only three people though, and one of them is a giant pervert. Seriously Kurz is a shiver looking for a spine to crawl up.

The Nadesico is grounded off screen and our team has to hoof it via foot to the big angry gun, though apparently it can fire again soon so I'm not sure why we can't keep flying I forget how this is reasoned whatever it's no big deal we can get there without problem. The Mithril crew are actually really professional, catching a Death Army ambush before it lands on everyone but ultimately being helped by someone else.

Oh goddamnit we're getting trolled aren't we? Oh well, time to kick it off and take that gun down. Master Asia decides he'll try to take down the Walking Stick himself.

He's going to troll the gently caress out of us I just played SRWT I can't handle this.

This map has a little bit of everything huh? It also has a gimmick, you can't fly during it or your unit asplode. Luckily for us most of our units are great on the ground anyway. Also we don't have access to the Nadesico so the forced deployments can be used by us according to the rules since I can't get them off the field and lots of enemies will be gunning for them by default.

The way this map works for the start is the north-east is where the walking stick is. We need to either get a unit to the Walking Stick or wipe out all the enemies.

Domon is a forced deploy so let's talk about him for a moment. The Shining Gundam is a bit arse, can fly but fights absolutely atrociously in it. It also has pretty much no moves at first. When Domon's will goes up enough he hits SUPER MODE and then his stats go up a bit and unlocks much more powerful moves. He's going to be a massive liability all mission because I don't want to use him, he has no synergy with anyone else on the field, and I haven't spent any money on upgrading him or given him any parts or modules. For traits he has Counter (lets him attack first if his Ability stat is sufficiently higher than an enemy's during their attack phase) and Potential Level 2. For spirits he has Guts and Focus, which makes him a bit more able to survive but hasn't exactly got the SP to go on things much.

Sosuke is one of the units I got in the draft, currently here in his M9 Gernsbeck which unless I'm misremembering will be the only time we see him in it. Gernsbecks are great little units. They're pretty much all ammo-based, and have the ECS ability that after you hit the Will threshold gives them an outright 50% chance to avoid an attack. Remember how annoying Mirage Colloid was for us? Well we have that now with three units.

Sosuke is very balanced with good stats across the board. He's only going to get better as time goes on. He comes packing Potential level 2 and Support Defence Level 1. For supports he has Alert, Focus and Strike. So he's going to be able to mash his way through mooks and bosses quite nicely. Unlike the other two, he has a shotgun too which is a pretty nice gun.

Mao is in charge and the one I didn't get in the draft, which is really unfortunate because she is an excellent inclusion in the line-up. She comes with Commander Level 1, Potential Level 1, Support Attack level 1, Support Defence Level 2, and Counter. That's an extremely impressive set of skills there and a mobile command aura on a regular unit is nothing to be sneezed at. She also has the spirits Guard, Focus and Strike. Again, she can hit stuff, and she can take a hit if need be (though ECS is a great support defence soak too).

The last of the crew whom I also got in the draft, and he's our sniper archetype. Range is his bread and butter and his M9 comes packing two sniper rifle options that can hit most distant enemies. Kurz comes with Hit & Away, Potential Level 1, Support Attack Level 1 and Support Defence Level 1. For spirits we have Snipe (adds +2 to all non-melee attack ranges) and Focus.

So the more astute amongst you have probably already realised that these three come packing a LOT of support skills. Mao buffs everyone around her, and anyone in contact with any of these three can expect support attacks and support defence. They get friendship bonuses from being near each other too (and Kurz has a one-sided romance buff with Mao). But that's not all these three come packing!

Have these three together and you can use a Combination Attack. Combination Attacks are tricky to position and while every member of the Combination can initiate the attack each use of it drains the corresponding EN from all involved units. All these guys come with 100 EN, and the Urz strike these three can do means they can do it three times total for now.

So the best way to move this mob is to have Kurz snipe and move to the next position, have Mao move next to him and attack if able, and Sosuke follow up last to take advantage of the Command aura if possible. If you don't need to move them all the better, cause they can form an amazing support attack and defence ball to keep everyone safe.

THAT WAS A LOT OF WORDS time to fight.

Turn 1 WE WALK

Enemy phase they also walk. Some of them. Most stay still.

Turn 2 MORE WALK

Enemy phase the fighting finally starts. Combattler V kills most of the approaching Batta with counter-attacks. Most of the others remain not moving.

Turn 3 We push on with the remaining Batta of the initial charge gone.

Enemy phase no enemies move in at us. THANKS GUYS.

Turn 4 Combattler V and Koji hit the east and north trios respectively, Koji killing one of his targets.

Enemy phase Combattler V wipes out all three of its foes, Koji only damages his two because they're at extreme range so only rust hurricane hits and it just barely misses killing them.

Turn 5 We're almost to the walking stick, and both our big boys pop a Batta each at the walking stick. Everyone else moves in to clean up the two Koji left behind. This leaves one Batta left and when it dies so does the walking stick.

Enemy phase Dead batta!

We take down the Walking Stick via enemy annihilation and then open fire on it!

Sadly the Walking Stick regenerates all of it and Domon immediately notices that yes, it has DG Cells!

KYOJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Oh and then Master Asia appears and trolls us into oblivion and I cry into a sandwich. Domon is unable to accept that his master has allied with his brother, and Master Asia attempts to use ancient martial arts convince Domon to come over and get riddled with DG Cells.

The Shuffle Alliance turn up and swear to beat the piss out of Master Asia. For some reason Domon tells them that no, they'll take care of the enemy ourselves. So the Shuffle Alliance leave to let us do it.

Domon still doesn't believe it's his master though, leading to the likely scenario of us getting trolled again. Forever.

Oh hey the enemy turn is still going! All the freshly spawned Death Army units make a move in on our dudes, and Sayaka is defended by various allies and damages some Death Army units in retort.

So for this map to finish we have to defeat either Master Asia or the Devil Gundam. As you can imagine I don't much want to have to fight the giant regenerating HP blob again, but the risk of fighting the Master Gundam is that the damage output is much more severe. He has a much more narrow MAP attack but due to his combat ability it's more likely to hit. It is possible to take out both of them at once if you have a unit with a MAP attack of your own but we don't, and that's kind of a time investment.

Turn 6 We start rolling into our enemy. Combattler V did most of the work on the way so now it's time to let the others do some leg-work. Char combos through two, Mao and Sosuke claim one each. Sayaka stands with Koji and weakens another. Domon I hang back a little cause I don't want to use him much except to soften up targets.

Enemy phase the defensive support of the Mithril trio keeps anyone from taking much of any damage, and in retort they damage a lot of the enemy. Master Asia drop a huge hit on Sayaka from a significant distance but she defends.

Turn 7 Combattler V catches up and damages an enemy, Char combos through another pair of enemies to level himself up to 13 and learns Support Defense Level 2! Katia learns Snipe! We continue to work together to clean up the enemy and soon there's only one Death Army mook, Master Gundam and Devil Gundam left.

Enemy phase Mao uses her ECS system to dodge the heck out of the mook, Devil Gundam dings Char as he support defends Combattler V, and Master Asia MAPs all our super robots. Easy!

Turn 8 I have Sayaka kill the mook, cause now it's time to just bop Master Asia with everything we have. Domon almost dies which would have failed the mission. I use Trust to push him back up to respectable health. In spite of all these attacks, and managing to pull off three team attacks with the Urz Strike in one turn on Master Asia he's still kicking.

Enemy phase No one really takes any damage because Devil Gundam attacks from extreme range, and Master Asia's MAP doesn't do much.

Turn 9 It doesn't take much more, we push Master Asia's health to zero and both he and the Devil Gundam retreat. Thank goodness.

With Master Asia taken care of both he and KYOJIIIIIIIIIIII retreat, which is a bit of a relief except-

Yeah I forgot about this. All of Domon's friends turn up infested by DG Cells, and then they gently caress off leaving us with some more Death Army mooks to fight. THANKS A LOT GUYS WE ALMOST HAD A SINGLE DIGIT TURN COUNT.

Enemy phase All but one of the enemies comes in and gets banged up, so we can kill most of them by the end I hope.

Turn 10 We mop up the rest, Mao hitting 12 for what that's worth.

That was a bit of a long one huh? Everyone says their goodbyes and shunts off, the Mithril trio don't join us. We'll get them later, they have a job to do and so do our protags but at least we got through it all.

Everyone just dunks on one another so hard in this game I love it.

Then Mithril decides to send Sosuke undercover to high school to protect a VIP. Up to this point, Sosuke comes across as a very quiet, somewhat dull but professional young soldier who gets the job done. He's definitely not ready for school, but school is definitely not ready for him.

Turn Count: 91

Next time on Super Robot Wars J: KOJI DIES

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Let's Play Super Roboy Draft Wars Episode 12: Well, that's just Great

I'm sure it's fine.

The Nadesico finally returns to Japan! Some people are leaving, some people are sticking around. Char is sticking with the girls on the Nadesico and everyone gets a bit sappy about it, Ruri opens up that she was kinda raised in a lab so the Nadesico is the first REAL home she's ever had.

Yes.

I only included this screenshot because I have no idea if the Combattler team's robot is being sarcastic or not on account of how sarcastic all the Combattler team are about the plot of this game.

Returning to the Photo Power Research Laboratory Koji and Sayaka get the low-down on how terrible the planet currently is even though honestly we've seen it all anyway. Dr. Hell has been using the chaos to get more nasty but Great Mazinger and crew have been holding them at bay for now.

Boss missed us! Apparently he's been working pretty hard too, probably helping to fix things that Dr. Hell knocks over. Koji says he can probably help us now. I sincerely doubt that.

We have a bit of a time-skip and after visiting the Nadesico Koji is told Dr. Hell and his dudes are back to kick up a fuss! Great is in maintenance so Koji, Sayaka and Boss head out to bop some Mechabeasts.

Koji sums up my battle plan.

It's time for my favourite mook! Baron Ashura! They've got a flair for the dramatic so their dialogue will almost never take up just one dialogue box. They tells Koji they're going to take his life, and Koji retorts by telling them that's not what he means when he always tells them to get a life. They have the best banter.

Man what the gently caress Boss, Ashura is two people sewn together you rude dumb inconsiderate chin. They even talk in two goddamn voices simultaneously. Ashura ignores Boss which honestly is the appropriate thing to do in these circumstances holy poo poo dude we were having some nice banter and you had to go and do that who drafted me this motherfucker I'll have their head. Ashura and Yurika have a dialogue in a later mission which is 100% the most precious thing and I look forwards to showing it.

So all troops on both sides bar one are ground troops, and there's a big forest in the middle of the map. THANKS GAME.

But we have a new unit to play with and it's one from my draft pool! But it's the Boss Borot! THANKS GAME.

Okay so let's just get this out of the way. The Boss Borot is a ramshackle junk-pile that by all accounts should not function yet somehow does. It is a super robot that is somehow less durable than the Aphrodite A and currently slow as molasses. The flip side is in terms of support the Boss Borot comes with both a Repair Module and a Support Module. The Support Module allows Boss to replenish someone's ammo and energy, so long as they start the turn next to one another. You can't use the Support Module post-movement, and anyone who gets resupplied will lose 10 Will to represent them getting a little unhyped from stopping and getting juiced back up.

Boss' other real strength is that he has two co-pilots, Mucha and Nuka who act as Spirit batteries. So Boss comes with Potential Level 1 and Support Defence Level 1. With their powers combined their Spirit abilities are Guts, Fury, Wall, Trust, Cheer, Alert, Scan and Vigor. Not a bad collection if not a little selfish.

Boss is not going to be too much help here, particularly because of how this scenario goes.

Baron Ashura is flying his Ghoul, a big flying blob that can hit hard-ish but is overally pretty non-threatening and is a non-issue in this mission anyway.

Turn 1 We advance, they advance. THANKS FOREST.

Turn 2 Mazinger and Sayaka team up and wound a mechabeast and that's about it. Boss is too slow to get in just yet.

Enemy phase The enemy attack Koji and after killing the wounded mechabeast he harms anyone who comes near him.

Turn 3 Boss kills a wounded mechabeast and so does Sayaka, this activates Mazinpower and Koji wounds another mechabeast.

Enemy phase Koji kills all but one Mechabeast in retorts, wounding the survivor.

Turn 4 Boss takes out the survivor, I do a little repair for exp and then Koji attacks Ashura. This triggers the event.

A single goddamn Mechabeast turns up, and Sayaka turns back to take it out. Honestly with how she's upgraded and performing right now she could actually take it. But this is a “cutscene” so another Mechabeast appears from nowhere.

Sayaka is taken hostage, and so Koji allows himself to be taken prisoner along with Mazinger Z. Ashura's about to kill Sayaka anyway in spite of this compliance because that's how Dr. Hell minions roll BUT

Reinforcements take out both Mechabeasts, and then even more reinforcements arrive in the Nadesico! Ready the Gravity Blast!

I hear ya Yurika, I hear ya. We pick up Sayaka because her unit is trashed, and away we go!

Yeah Boss is hosed.

Great Mazinger is Mazinger Z but better in every way. Well, better than baseline Mazinger Z because our upgraded Z was better, and the Great we have now is actually inferior till we likewise throw some upgrades on it. Still, it's a very strong unit that can fly, boasts some really strong attacks and unlike Mazinger Z actually has access to a 0 EN cost attack with a sword. It also has Mazinpower just like Z did, so it gets stronger at a higher Will.

Tetsuya is a solid pilot too, and comes packing Potential Level 3 that will be fantastic once we put some more health and armour on him. His spirits are Accel, Wall and Strike so he can get into the fight fast and dodgy bosses won't cause him too much of a problem. The big issue is he has no way of restoring his own health like Koji can, and my only unit really close enough to do repairs right now is about to die.

Our turn resumes and we accel everyone who can and run towards Boss. It really doesn't matter.

Enemy phase Tetsuya trades shots with some enemies, and Boss dies. Don't worry, I'll show you why it doesn't matter in a moment.

Turn 5 Everyone just goes in deep. Tetsuya up north, Combattler moving more south with Guard up, Nadesico and Char in the middle.

Enemy phase Tetsuya almost dies just fighting up top, he's a lot squishier than Mazinger Z due to a lack of upgrades.

Turn 6 I have Yurika throw out Daunt, halving all hit rates and then I start swinging, a MAP wiping out three Mechabeasts before I move the Nadesico to line up hopefully for another one. Char moves in to bop a Mechabeast, Tetsuya (that I healed with lots of Trust) swings and wounds another Mechabeast, and Combattler V drops another and hits level 14.

Enemy phase and Tetsuya starts the killing by taking down three in retaliation, activating Mazinpower and hitting level 12 in the process. The Nadesico wounds and wipes several mechabeasts, hitting level 13! We get the Luck spirit out of it.

Turn 7 And we fire off another MAP, and with Tetsuya and Combattler V taking care of the last of their mechabeasts we've got two wounded ones left. We get told that Baron Ashura's Ghoul was attacked on the way out, and Koji's Pilder might have gotten away. Char finishes off another one and that leaves one very wounded one left.

Enemy phase To my surprise the enemy attacks Combattler V. Still dies anyway!

Oh boy! So we lost two units and gained two units, though this is only a temporary loss obviously. Boss Borot was destroyed and this lets me show you the screen where the game punishes you for losing units, by taking some of your money as costs for repairing the unit in time for the next mission. Generally speaking the more powerful a unit is the more it's going to cost you if you somehow lose it, with the costs starting in the thousands and working their way up from there.

The Boss Borot is made out of literal scrap.

Everyone is super anxious about Koji being missing, with everyone who can basically going out on long-rear end patrols trying to find him. Char and the Nadesico crew have to go back home unfortunately, but come on, there's no way Koji could just DIE is there?!

Baron Ashura returns in triumph to Dr. Hell because hey, they have Mazinger Z! Dr. Hell isn't happy with this because for the last 8 months there hasn't been a Mazinger Z on planet Earth so wow Ashura good job! Naturally Ashura grovels and begs for another chance, and Dr. Hell gives an ominous instruction to contact another group and hire their services.

I'm sure this won't IMMEDIATELY become relevant next mission. Also Dr. Hell is great because he looks like he's 90% beard but when he actually pulls his cloak back the dude is loving JACKED.

Then to close off the episode we go to Street so watch this kid's life gets ruined forever in an event in no way related to the dun dun duuuuuun Dr. Hell just dropped out of his beard.

Turn count: 98

Next time on Super Robot Wars J! Hau low can we go?!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Ladies and gentlemen, and ladies and gentlemen that are sewn together, this one's going to be rough.

Koji's still missing, and everyone's pretty shaken up about it. Even worse, they haven't even found a trace of him. Not even his Pilder! “What's a Pilder?” you ask? Mazinger Z and Great are operated by a docked flying machine in their heads. That was the part Koji got free before he vanished.

Also apparently someone attacked the corporate headquarters of some Nergal rival, who had been up to some shady stuff. Shadier than even Nergal!

It's you Erina. Turns out Mithril is pretty switched on regarding everyone's dirty laundry, and has been hearing whispers about some old group of the past coming back up again. But is it true? Would it existing ruin some random kid's life?

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT

15 years ago an evil organisation poised to take over the world was betrayed by one of their own, but now they're back and holy poo poo you have no idea how hilarious the villains of Zeorymer are. Like I'm going to hold back on saying what's up just for now but let's just say the phrase “set up to fail” is a motherfucking understatement. The leader of Hau Dragon sends the man she loves to assist Dr. Hell in attacking the Photon Power Research Laboratory, as apparently Dr. Yumi knows the location of where their big bad missing Zeorymer is. Dr. Yumi is goddamn well connected.

This might seem rude of Saiga to say, but don't worry about it he has chronic backstabber syndrome in his genes. He's also totally right we're going to dust off that other idiot. I don't even remember his name, I won't remember it till I see the screenshots I took. I'm not even going to go back and edit this to put his name in.

Another horde of Mechabeasts is coming and the UEFA's attempt to stall them failed utterly, so it's up to Great Mazinger to hold out till reinforcements come, because even the Boss Borot is out searching for Koji right now.

The Photon Power Research Laboratory is a powerful defensive position, but also regenerates health and energy by about 20% so if you were just playing casually you could park Great on the corner there and let them come to you. We're not going to do that.

Turn 1 We accel and move in to tag a mechabeast.

Enemy phase the enemy attack but this time Tetsuya can take a hit!

Turn 2 Combattler V arrives right close by, which is good. They take out a mechabeast and then so does Tetsuya, leaving one left.

Enemy phase the mechabeast attacks Combattler V and gets destroyed.

Heck yeah we did that in an actual reasonable amount of time, which means it's time to get totally hosed. More mechabeasts are here and their reinforcement buddy from the SECRET ORGANISATION is here. He wastes no time and moves in on Dr. Yumi, demanding he reveal his secrets, and Dr. Yumi more or less shows he's got no poker face and reveals he definitely knows something.

Can you guys NOT, they're TWO PEOPLE SEWN TOGETHER. It's not that difficult to figure out. Being Baron Ashura is putting up with some goddamn bullshit.

Oh and you know what would make this fight more fun? Yeah if we took cutscene damage on all our units. Lots of it. They're going all out to make Taiha not look like a complete jobber.

Oh thank god an ally I can't use. Taiha recognises it and is like “I HAVE TO KILL IT” and goes in for the kill, or at least to ruin the kid's life.

Zeorymer is broken by the way.

At last, some broken poo poo I can use. We throw Char out to fight and get ready to store the horrendously imbalanced unit that would make our lives easier inside the Nadesico.

Also, it's still the enemy's turn so they advance on our unfortunately damaged heroes

Turn 3 We move to get stuck in, the Nadesico and Char move in and attack, and Char combos a wounded mechabeast out of existence. I move Tetsuya up just enough so he can get some health and energy regen from the Power Labs, and pop Vigor on Combattler so hopefully that's the wounded dudes made up for. I also throw Guard on Combattler V and send it in deep and do a Combo on a pair of mechabeasts to soften them up. Zeorymer I send towards the Nadesico with infinite sadness.

Enemy phase some of the mechabeasts suicide themselves on the Combattler, and two throw themselves to death on a Gravity Blast. Some mechabeasts fire at Combattler at extreme range, which is annoying! COME AND FIGHT LIKE MOOKS.

Turn 4 We keep moving up with the Nadesico and a more-healed Tetsuya (I threw Trust on him as well just to speed things up) taking a kill a piece. Combattler V moves up to the long ranging cowards and picks a fight with one of them. That's about it for that one.

Enemy phase Tetsuya uses Counter to hit a mechabeast before it can hit him and kills it. The rest commit Combattlercide. The Lanstar goes for Char! And misses. We rough him up a little for it.

I suppose we should talk about Lanstar of the Wind now. He's not even remotely as scary as he seemed after beating the piss out of Great and Combattler just now, but that's the power of cutscenes. Even with the small number of people we've got right now, we can wear him down pretty fast and tank most of his damage one way or another.

Turn 5 At this point it's time to ignore that last mechabeast and hope for a chance to counter, because we need to take Lanstar out. I also kind of want to draw him north as we chip away at him, for reasons involving more loving reinforcements.

Enemy phase Tetsuya pops that last mechabeast, and the Lanstar almost takes out Tetsuya.

Turn 6 We pop Tetsuya back on the Photon Power Research Laboratory and then oops the Nadesico kills the Lanstar.

Taiha dies. Yeah that's it. He turns up for one fight, clowns on us, then gets clowned on. It was the weirdest circus that ever came to town and it's loving done. But you know who's not done?

Us.

We move everyone else onto the labs as well, just for the little boost because Ashura has a pretty mean trick in store for us. But then again that's kind of their thing so you go Baron Ashura, I'm on your side. Only four of the eight mechabeasts move in, Ashura holds their ground.

Turn 7 I have the Nadesico use a repair kit on poor Tetsuya cause he just needs to get back out there. I have Combattler V use a support attack with Char to wipe out on Mechabeast, and then the Nadesico and Tetsuya pick on some mechabeasts of their own, with Char finishing one of them off because honestly I think he needs the exp a bit.

Enemy phase Tetsuya hits level 13 off the back of killing a mechabeast. The rest of them are moving way too slow in getting towards us.

Turn 8 We sally forth again to smite our foes. Or something. The Nadesico murderates one fool, and Char gets another.

Enemy phase a few more mechabeasts die, the Ghoul trades fire with the Nadesico.

Turn 9 Wiping out the last of the Mechabeasts we pop the Ghoul with what we have, Combattler V doesn't take it so well in retort.

Enemy phase Combattler V's health is put down pretty hard, but the Ghoul hasn't got much left in its tank.

Turn 10 We pop the Combattler into the Nadesico and with a Char support attack we Gravity Beam it down. The Nadesico hits level 14, with Yurika learning Support Defence Level 2, and the spirit Guard being added to the pool.

So we've just fought a lot of super-type enemies and two bosses in two waves, so we should be done right?

IT'S NOT OVER YET. Holy poo poo if this isn't one of the most heartbreaking things you'll see in your life. The original Mazinger Z converted into a weapon of evil, with Baron Ashura at the helm. Everyone hates this.

Everyone really hates this. It's like having to fight your dad when he's being mind-controlled by Dr. Hell or something. But that's still not all.

Something very big and very imposing just turned up. And it's yellow on the map. Baron Ashura is having none of this, and sends one of his emergency ambush Mechabeasts out to take care of business.

Yeah. That's kind of intimidating for a “weakest attack in the movelist”. But at the same time Mazinkaiser runs over to the Power Labs and starts to rampage.

Oh look who turned up! THANKS BOSS. Sayaka's with them and they tell us Koji is inside of that thing, which upsets everyone and Domon just automatically assumes DG Cells are at work. GOD Domon not everything is about you. In fact most of this route split is nothing about you.

I hear ya, Yurika.

Okay with that out of the way let us take a look at Ashura Mazinger who is clearly in the wrong map the leather club is two blocks down. They're a goddamn tanky unit and Ashura's got some decent stats to them. But they're a super and we have all supers, and they can't cast Spirits. So we can just beatstick him down pretty hard as we want to.

Mazinkaiser is a different kettle of fish. Stat-wise our masked Koji is not nearly as strong as Ashura is right now, but has way more armour and its weapons are way stronger to boot so it actually comes out ahead in terms of power. Mazinkaiser needs to be approached carefully too, since the objective of this stage involves reducing Mazinkaiser down to 10% or less of its health and destroying it is game over. It's also a neutral unit so it's entirely possible Ashura Mazinger and Mazinkaiser could attack one another, but it's not going to come to that.

Great and Char take swings at Ashura Mazinger to round off the turn.

Enemy phase Ashura tries to Breast Fire Char, but he's a bit too mook for that. Ashura I mean. Char' not a mook.

Neutral phase Mazinkaiser leaves his punch-hole and starts gunning for us, which is good cause he's off the regen tiles now.

Turn 11 We creep towards the power lab, while working Ashura down to almost nothing, so I sneak out Combattler V and have it finish the job.

Ashura runs off after his usual swearing of revenge which takes like 10 dialogue windows to get through, which leaves... oh boy. Boss moves down to assist. We're going to need it this time for sure.

Neutral phase and Mazinkaiser pops at the Nadesico but Char takes the hit.

Turn 12 Boss runs down and repairs Char, and hits level 11 because of it. I use a propellant tank on Char as well since he was pretty low on energy, and a cartridge on Great to give him back his one ammo shot best attack I never mentioned until now. IT'S FINE. Yurika uses Daunt just to give me a little room to not die, and everyone who can pops Wall. We surround Mazinkaiser and bring it down to about 7000 hp. We need it down to about 3000 to pull this off.

Neutral phase the Nadesico gets it down to just shy of what we need to end the stage.

Turn 13 With a gentle tap of its missiles the Nadesico crosses the threshold and whew, stage over.

Thank goodness. Four goddamn bosses. FOUR. Koji, what the gently caress do you think about that?

That's my boy.

That's my girl.

Dr. Yumi basically explains that Mazinkaiser was a concept Koji's grandpa came up with, but had no idea had actually been finished somehow at some point. As for Zeorymer (which is being sent to join us) apparently Dr. Yumi knows it exists because a few years back he was sent to take a look at it, and couldn't figure any of it out because it's loving nuts.

But that's fine I know exactly how it works.

Zeorymer runs on the latent energy produced by ruining this kid's life.

Turn Count: 111

Next time on Super Robot Wars J: The Boaz are back in town.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super Roboky Draft Wars Episode 14 – Boazing me to death

This is where the fun goes to die.

Koji wakes up and Sayaka throws herself at him, which of course according to the rules of anime results in like most of the cast walking in together at the same time and thinking they're about to start shagging. Koji's little brother Shiro thinks it's funny, Boss is super upset because he still somehow thinks he has a chance.

Back at the Nadesico Yurika is upset that she didn't get to go see Koji, and also that one of the female Nadesico characters went instead. It's sort of a running thing in Martian Successor Nadesico that Akito somehow manages to keep attracting all these women towards him, when he's just mostly running away from committing to his childhood love (Yurika). It's a lot less Harm-y than it sounds.

Everyone also talks about the Hau Dragons and how (hau) it's very likely that tech corp that got blowed up by them was actually them covering their tracks, and the corp's tech is used ubiquitously throughout Earth and Space so if they want to just ruin everyone's life they can do it. Luckily Inez has a solution.

I swear to god if they don't throw her off the ship in the next five-

Meanwhile back at the labs, Mazinkaiser is so amazing the dude in charge of maintaining the Combattler V machines slips back into alcoholism. Just kidding he never stopped. There's a bit of a conversation about the plans to build another ELECTROMAGNETIC SUPER ROBOT by the UEFA, apparently as part of a plan established by Professor Nanbara, the now deceased guy who made Combattler V. Dead scientists giving kids their robots is kind of a 70s thing don't worry about it, Japan just had a more robust economy back then.

MEANWHILE at BIG FALCON HQ the team for a new robot has been assembled after a gruelling series of training exercises that included fighting a shark. No I'm not kidding. Three of the five pilots are the children of the woman in charge, another dude is a cowboy or a racing car driver or something he has a bullwhip I don't loving know, and the last one is a ninja because OF COURSE. The kids get mad at their mom because instead of having childhoods they had shark-fights. To shut them up she shows them their new ride.

Translator's note: I forgot they tell you about how to pronounce it and spat up coffee on myself playing through this again. But there's no time to marvel at the pronunciations of roman numerals! An enemy force is attacking! A new one!

This new warning interrupt's Koji's training time and the usual suspect mobilize to go engage the invaders, Koji and Sayaka left behind because Koji's still not got Mazinkaiser under control and Sayaka's new ride isn't finished. But it's okay guys we've got Boss and he's had sensitivity training so he won't say anything loving horrible this time I'm sure.

Yeah I know you guys have been learning how to pilot these things for all of like one scene transition but it's time to fight. Don't worry about it. Also don't question it or you'll have to fight TWO sharks. I'm STILL not kidding about the shark fighting.

Behold the enemy, the Boazonians who have very large buffalo-style horns on the sides of their heads and you will never ever see them because of the portraits. They have a caste system where those without horns are considered lessers in society so expect lots of horn-based racism against humans. That guy is the leader of the invasion, but he leaves the actual fight to some other guy and goes off to relax after a long space journey.

Yelling-based technology folks, don't forget to SHOUT IT OUT.

So here's our boy Voltes V. Not one of my draft picks but I have no other unit on the field so I can use him for a bit. It's basically Combattler V all over again, a slightly fragile combiner with some effective attacks. We won't be using this lot for very long. Keichi is the main pilot and comes with Potential Level 3. The spirits our crew has is very spread out, so we get Strike, Snipe, Wall, Focus, Accel, Fury, Guts, Gain, Spirit, Tire, Trust, Luck, Alert, Scan and Break. I forget if we've seen Spirit and Tire before so I'll just repeat them. Spirit buffs your Will by 10 and Tire lower and enemy unit's Will by 10 with each cast. Kinda handy!

Well as you can see we've got two units to immediately tangle with and everyone else is a fair bit back. They're going to take their time coming down to us, but if we entice them into the middle-ish of the map everyone who reinforces us will be relatively close by. Relatively.

So here's the two Boaz units we're going to be facing today. There's also a boss unit but I forget to screencap it till later and he's moving last so gently caress iiiiit. These guys are probably the most dangerous units to face at this point in the game. They're big super units that hit hard and have a decent health pool. They also tend to come in generous numbers and they can combo too. I'd say they're probably the first time you'll come in real danger of losing units when they choose to dog-pile your combiners, because SRWJ enemies tend to prioritise things they can hit that have less chance of enduring their attacks so combiners almost always eat it the worst.

Time to murderize some Murder Beasts!

Turn 1 – We land Voltes V in the forest and throw on some Spirits and park it in a forest. Since we're going to be putting it in the Nadesico as soon as it arrives we can just go nuts with SP here.

Enemy phase the enemy takes some shots. Our retaliations do very little damage though. Those enemies who want to come down to say hell, do.

Turn 2 – We take another pop at the humanoid enemy robot and we're wearing it down a little!

Enemy phase – A few more back and forths between Voltes and co with no one dying. Uneventful but the end of Turn 2 means we get some allies!

Just Char and the Nadesico, the other guys are coming from the labs so we won't see them for a little bit yet. Izumi sums up my feelings on the last level and its constant reinforcements and bosses.

Turn 3 – We try to rush to the enemy and rush Voltes V back towards the Nadesico. GOOD TIMES. This is going to be a long mission.

Enemy phase almost all the enemies are moving now. Combat might actually join soon who knows?!

Speaking of joining combat.

Turn 4 – Combattler V, Great, Boss and Zeorymer all deploy up in the north-eastern part of the map, so at the very least I have some units that can fight back (and one that can just get in the goddamn ship). We move everyone in as fast as they can, largely thanks to Accel, and the Nadesico gets into a CRAB BATTLE. Char almost finishes it off. Still, at least we've got some progress.

Enemy phase the Nadesico wipes out both enemies with counter-attacks, with Char taking the hits from both with support defence. A giant blob of angry alien super robots is coming and I'm scared a little when I probably shouldn't be.

Turn 5 – Yurika pops daunt to lower everyone's hit rates, and I get my big boys to start wading in. The Nadesico, Char and Great soften up one guy, and I throw literally all my defensive spirits on Combattler V and wade it right into the middle of the enemy so it can start kicking rear end.

Enemy phase and Combattler V gets literally surrounded, and beats the every-loving hell out of everyone who even looks at it funny. That's the power of Guard ladies and gentlemen. One unlucky Boaz even gets destroyed.

Turn 6 – I pool my attacks to drop another two Boaz, and send Combattler V in even deeper with Guard on again, because there's no good reason not to do it to be honest. I have Boss top off the health of the Nadesico and he hits level 12, learning Support Attack which will come in handy, and Accel which will mean he can mostly keep up in a fight to actually support. The Nadesico I have perched in a position to just start MAPing all these idiots.

Enemy phase they just SURROUND Combattler V. Which is exactly what I wanted. It also totals quite a few more Boaz units leaving them on precarious amounts of health. Even the boss got in on it, for all the good it did him.

I love Hyoma so much.

Turn 7 – Char drops a Boaz and hit level 14, Great pops the one Boaz unit that isn't in the MAP field, and I get ready to do some real time damage. I throw Alert on Combattler V, some exp and money buffs on the Nadesico and go to town. At the end of that MAP shot there is only the Skull Fortress left. Combattler V starts drilling into him.

Jangal is the big dumb “I AM HONORABLE AND CARE ABOUT MY LORD AND AM ALSO A SPEEDBUMP” archetype we'll be facing, though every single named Boazonian is going to be coming at us riding in one of these giant flying angry skulls. I guess Dr. Wily had a bulk sale offer?! Big dumb walls of HP with some big attacks you should be able to avoid taking much damage from if you use your spirits.

Enemy phase – Jangal takes even more damage, and wow I can't recall the last time I chewed through this enemy so fast.

Turn 8 – We chip Jangal down and sadly don't do enough damage to kill him and he flees. But still I'm genuinely shocked I beat it that quickly considering how rear end this entire mission always was in my memory. Usually this feels like the worst kind of slog. Then again that MAP attack kind of dealt with things pretty well.

Just call it a Skull Fortress dude you're fooling NO ONE.

A genuine miracle.

Everyone discusses how the conflict has become a supreme clusterfuck, and the UEFA is thinking of forming a giant-rear end super unit made up of all the fantastic survivors we've gathered up in our time in space and on Earth.

Hold on a second here Erina you weren't even there you joined later don't you steal my Valor I need that to do double damage!

Jangal is almost executed for incompetency but his computer's battle recordings show that a whole bunch of super robots turned up and kicked his poo poo in when everyone else went to nap. The Boazonians did their homework but this is the one time you probably should have waited till the last second to work on your assignment, dudes.

The Nadesico is sent off on a new mission to help out the UEFA in dealing with some stuff, while the information about everyone being thrown into one big group continues to get bandied around. Akatsuki secretly reveals to the audience he's a lot more than just some dude with hair that tells people to stop complaining all the time and all but confirms the big group thing is going to happen, albeit with the Nadesico being granted a fair bit of autonomy in the matter.

Turn Count: 119

Honestly I expected that fight to obliterate me in terms of the sheer amount of HP I would have to chew through, but then they all lined themselves up perfectly for a MAP while trying to mob Combattler V. Pronounced “vee”.

Next time on Super Robot Wars J! When the Fire gets a little too Friendly.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Reiska posted:

Just for the record, that translator's note on the pronunciation of Voltes V being "Voltes Five" actually does relate to the fact that Combattler V is "Combattler V", not "Combattler Five".

I can't believe this thread just got translator noted.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 15: Yellow on Blue Violence

Oh this mission is unforgettable that's for sure. This episode starts us out where we left off, the team on a special mission to help out the UEFA in dealing with some problems in the Pacific region.

I hear ya. Of course nothing can ever be so simple, and the targeting systems for the Nadesico and the Aestivalis start going wonky!

Yurika mostly just goes “HUH?!” and “W-WHAAAAAT?” a lot it's great.

Domon I swear to God Gundam not everything is about the loving Devil Gundam just CALM DOWN.

Well we can rule out mechanical failure on the Aestivalis no one admits that kind of thing unless they're confident. Anyway the UEFA are sending some inspectors to come figure things out, so as long as nothing goes wrong in the meantime we should be able to figure this out.

Goddamnit. Mind you the idea of some huge dude with giant horns walking around door-knocking with a photo of Voltes V is pretty great.

Oh heck, apparently the problem with the Nadesico is its special on-board computer Omoikane, which has learning capacity to deal with any autonomous decisions it can make as part of its function. Apparently that big fight with the UEFA at the beginning of our journey to Mars made a big impression that is bad. The UEFA wants to do a total delete, and Ruri is understandably upset because the thing is simultaneously her child and closest friend.

In spite of the fact the computer tried to shoot them up the Dancouga team offer to call in some Mithril help, and Yurika gives them approval-but-not-Nergal-approval to try to help.

Goddamn the Voltes people are so goddamn grumpy about everything. Why can't they be more like the Combattler team and just say smarmy poo poo all the time. Their mother also strongly suggests in a monologue that the three Voltes boys might be part alien cause her husband apparently returned to the Boazonian planet to deal with its systematic horn-based class-ism and hasn't said a word since.

Oh hey Jangal how's it going is it time to fight? Can't hold off for a bit while we solve our technical difficulties? This is the failure of computers being programmed by people without giant horns you say? You're kind of rude dude.

Fun fact for this mission, the game force deploys everyone who is with the Nadesico team on the map. That's not ominous.

Turn 1 – I load everyone into the Nadesico and start rushing forwards on Accel.

Enemy Phase the enemy start moving towards us in their stupid slow waves, but that's par for the course here.

The Voltes V team arrive, but immediately learn that in their absence their home base of BIG FALCON is under attack and their mother has been wounded. Yurika gives them permission to return because Kenichi is really conflicted on what to do due to their mother training them to be killing machines but only halfway so they're still conflicted about it and Jangal engages his smuggery over their super amazing plan.

Turn 2 – We get the Nadesico closer, throw out Char focus on cause he's all we can use, and love-tap a crab.

Enemy phase Char retaliates against some enemies who can't hit him. Neat!

Okay this time the reinforcements are here to stay, and the enemy are a lot fewer than that first time we had to deal with them so this should be a pretty easy-no wait no sorry the Nadesico just went haywire.

Yurika accurately depicts the response of every first time SRWJ player's experience, I swear. So yeah the Nadesico just yacks up all the units it was carrying out onto the field, and it and the Aestivalis all turn into Neutrals hostile to literally everyone else on the field except for Char and the Combattler crew. Probably.

So what this means is we have no battleship to put our units into. This means we can field them! It's a complete mixed bag of good and bad because we're kinda playing for speed but if these guys kill anything that's wasted exp, but not wasted money. But if the Nadesico dudes kill anything? Well that's straight up a complete loss of exp and money.

Anyway here's the units we haven't looked at that we can use right now.

The Dancouga is like the Electromagentic boys. It's a combiner so it's a little weaker in armour but higher in hit points, and usually ends up being prioritised by enemies because of it. The big feature of Dancouga is it has its own version of Mazinpower called “Instinct” that boosts damage when they have enough Will. It comes packing Potential Level 3, and for spirits it rocks Guts, Wall, Accel, Trust, Focus, Gain Strike, Luck and Guard.

Here's the broke boy himself, Zeorymer. What makes this fellow so goddamn broken is the Dimensional Coupling System (DCS). Once that Will kicks in high enough it's a strong barrier that negates damage, it's a 50% chance to outright dodge an enemy attack, and instead of conventional movement that can be obstructed Zeorymer can just plain teleport wherever its movement range allows. Also Zeorymer just has a lot of strong attacks and regens HP and EN every turn, and has two pilots for spirits.. For skills the Zeorymer rocks Potential Level 2, and packs for spirits Wall, Break, Strike, Accel and Trust. STRONG.

But what about our allies turned semi-hostile Neutrals? Well let's take a look!

Yeah basically everyone's still the levels they were when they joined, so we're not in too much danger. Hell they're still in their Space Frames (Aestivalis have modular frames that have different stats) so their combat potential blows.

Turn 3 – After that lengthy introduction I move everyone in and we take down one of the enemies.

Enemy phase Dancouga hits Instinct and takes down two enemies, Combattler V fights up north and does some good damage. Jengal engages Combattler V which is good.

Neutral phase the Aestivalis attack everyone they can, dinging Dancouga a bit but also roughing up all the nearby enemies. The Nadesico kills a Boazonian denying us all some exp and money but it's fine.

Tessa arrives to help! Sort of. She's going to try to get our rogue computer under control externally.

Ah yes that thing that worked out for them so well last time.

Turn 4 - I pop Guts and Guard on Dancouga to get it up in health and also deal with the fact I think all the yellow guys are going to try to kill him next turn. Char and Domon tickle two well armoured Boazonians and get dinged up in return. Up north the boys chip down some enemies for good measure, there's only four enemies left and one is Jangal.

Enemy phase crippled by insanity the Boaz units attack the Nadesico and die horribly YOU GET TO BURNING. Jangal trades fire with Great, it's fine.

Neutral phase Domon and Dancouga do some dodging and defending, and the Nadesico MAPS both Combattler V and Jangal. That was actually kind of helpful!

Turn 5 - Everyone pops violence up on Jangal that can, and I share some healing out from Boss to keep everyone going. Boss levels up to 13 healing Combattler V. We manage to love-tap Jangal enough to force him to retreat.

Jangal begs for forgiveness, but if the other attack on Big Falcon screws up I think Jangal's in some deep poo poo. But hey! Mission accomplished!

See? Now we just need to deal with the Nadesico preparing to Gravity Wave a Federation base. poo poo. If only we had some other target turn up we could blow up and distract the Nadesico with it.

Oh thank god you're hear Baron Ashura you will not believe the day we've had. But uh... Look my friend. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry but-

It's Kaiser time.

And all the upgrades to Mazinger Z carried over.

And it's still my turn.

Don't wanna know why, everybody ready get it on!

Kazashita kobushi wa don't give up!
Yuruginaki chikara wo tataeta saikyou no soldier

Kakageta flag wa EX-danger!
Kami sae mo osorenu yatsura ni gokujou no violence
Yami wo harai hitobito no nageki no koe ni
Sono ude wo sashidase!

Turn 6

In the fire! Break it down!
Hametsu he no kane ga hibiku yo
Owari no nai eien no wargame

In the fire! Crush on crush!
Oroka na jidai no matsuro ni saa keikoku shiyou

Ikari no gong wa so warning!
Chinurareta chijou ni mezameta saikyou no soldier
Jigen no tobira wa EX-danger!

Osoi kuru jaaku na yatsura ni let's vibration!
Sora ga moeru kaze ga naku daichi ga hoeru
Ima sekai ga sakebu!

Miwatasu chihei no kanata ni
Asu wo egaku koutetsu no dreamer
Kurutta jidai no meirou de saa keikoku shiyou

Yami wo harai hitobito no nageki no koe ni
Sono ude wo sashidase!
Hametsu he no kane ga hibiku yo
Owari no nai eien no wargame

Oroka na jidai no matsuro ni saa keikoku shiyou

Yes. Mazinkaiser did in fact solo every single one of those Mechabeasts and solo killed Ashura in the Ghoul within two turns. How was your day? Mine was good. You know how I talked about how Mazinger Z's biggest problem is the fact that it gobbles EN in literally every attack it does? Mazinkaiser has a range 7 missile attack that has an ammo count of about 99. It still gets Mazinpower. It's biggest problem right now is just that its still stuck on the ground. That issue will not persist throughout Mazinkaiser's life. Mazinkaiser is here to mess some people up and it is glorious.

Tessa and Ruri finally get Omoikane under control, sealing some of its memories away as a temporary solution to the problem. It may yet remember again someday, but it might also have learned enough to get past it by that point.

Ruri's entire story in Martian Successor Nadesico is very melancholy but later she grows up and becomes an excellent adult thanks to those that care for her. So all's well that ends well, right?

We would like to announce that Shark Tank Training has been postponed indefinitely.

Man Hyoma they were never going to fire on you stop being a whiner.

Good news everyone! The Archangel and everyone who was on it are coming to join us! We're going to be a big super-team! Except I can't use any of those units just the Archangel. But everyone's happy to see everyone else once they all get back together.

Koji Kabuto dies in laughter.

Back aboard the super Mithril submarine Tessa talks to her XO, and drops the finest vague infobomb she can. Ruri isn't a “Whispered” but... what is a Whispered?! Oh I'm sorry I didn't know this was a library I'll use my inside voice next time.

Turn Count: 125

Next Time in Super Robot Wars J! An Alliance gets Reshuffled!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Sweet jesus Koji leave some for the rest of the team.

:allears:

The most amazing part is how he arrives. He sort of appears as a blip on the eastern side of the map, and then the map just loving zoooooooooms to the west side and deploys Mazinkaiser right in front of Ashura. I can only imagine this giant terrifying blur of black and red just hurtles across the sky and smashes down right in front of the enemies.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 16: Someone Get This Old Guy Off Me

A term never used to describe me.

We enter our adventures with the Archangel people being told by the finest example of Federation incompetence about how they all work for him and he's going to make them follow his every whim. He also rags endlessly on the fact they have three people who aren't regular humans helping out because he's that special kind of idiot who shits on his allies. D-Boy just calls him incompetent to his face but Corbett still thinks he has the upper hand in this deal.

Luckily the heroes of our story branch arrive and remind the big boss that hey, the arrangement isn't nearly as one-sided as he thinks with the Nergal negotiations giving them a strong veto power on orders. No one expects them to actually use these powers but Yurika basically dumpstered this guy's victory dance pretty hard to the point people consider she might not be insane.

We're introduced to Freeman, the guy in charge of stuff relating to Tekkaman and also who helps out with the Layzer stuff. All stuff we have absolutely nothing to do with us so we're out have fun guys. Also Kira's still around and everyone's noticed he seems different now. They attribute it to time spent piloting his Strike but honestly he got laid.

Thanks for jinxing us you idgit.

Anyway on the Archangel route we were introduced to people that fly in weird things called “Brains” from the weird anime with the screaming lady intro. Apparently the giant organic thing that lives under the ocean launched some plates and the crazy people that live inside of it came out and got them, so Char has headed out with the BRAIN TEAM to go bop some villains. They also run into Yuu, a guy who used to live unda da sea but now has his own Brain and doesn't really like anyone here, rebuffing attempts to recruit him to help out.

Suddenly some of the still unda da sea people come tooting along and they want a biff-fight. Yuu decides to help out for lack of anything better to do with his time. I will admit I mostly just took this screenshot because of the “you” and “Yuu” thing.

MISSION BEGIN but first let's look at the four units we have with us.

So let's talk about Brains! They're pretty cool units with lots of interesting things to them. They're great in any terrain, they're fast, and they're very dodgy. They also regen HP and EN and tap into some energy line thing that apparently covers the planet and it allows them to “Vital Jump” which is another one of those 50% chance to stone cold dodge an attack once their Will is high enough things, and once their Will is up there their movement is a Zeorymer-style teleport.

Also super handy is that all Brain pilots have Antibody which increases Hit, Evade, Attack Damage and Attack Range on the pilot, with higher levels of Antibody giving greater increases. As if this weren't enough, certain Brain pilots can pair off with one another for a Team Attack which are generally speaking very powerful attacks that have a big EN cost but will usually ignore the modifiers that mitigate damage. Very nice things to have on units with EN regen. The pairing for this group is Yuu and Hime, Lasse and Nanga.

Every single character in this foursome has one level of Support Attack and Support Defence. For Antibody levels Yuu and Hime are level 3, Nanga is level 2, and Lasse is Level 1. Nanga also rocks Command Level 1. For spirits Yuu has Focus and Alert, Hime has Focus, Cheer and Bless, Lasse has Accel, Focus and Guts, and Nanga has Guard and Focus. Lots of Focus.

Turn 1 – We move in as a blob, which is a good idea in general because everyone in this grouping has support attack, support defence, and everyone but Char can bust out some team attacks.

Enemy phase They come closer.

Turn 2 – Everyone pops Focus and takes a moment to bop an enemy unit. Grand Chers are low on health but fairly hardy thanks to their armour.

Now we've pinged some of them we can show off the Grand Chers. Ostensibly the same as Brains only tougher, because we hit like trucks and they would probably die too soon otherwise. You might think their HP regen is a big issue but I wouldn't worry too much, they regen a percentage of their max health and a percentage of a small max health is about as lame as you'd think. The Vital Jump thing can be a problem assuming they ever live to get enough Will. I think they have barriers too but everything damages them so much the mitigation isn't that impressive to be honest.

Enemy phase Nanga takes some hits but dishes many back out. We're essentially surrounded but being in this cluster works pretty well. The two minibosses haven't come for us yet but we're in a good enough position anyway.

Turn 3 - I move Nanga and Lasse closer into our big blob to make Command more effective. Unfortunately I kill enough enemy units that my allies arrive and now I can't actually use any of these Brain units anymore. OOPS.

You Yuu!

Oh and someone's waiting for us to finish our fight to fight us, probably something to do with Domon forced deploying on us.

My turn resumes so I pile my reinforcements into my battleships and pull Hime back since she's the only one that hadn't attacked before everyone appeared.

Also now we have units with Scan I made sure to pop them on the two mini-bosses for this stage. There's really not much more to them aside from some better stats. Grand Chers are generally a headache for larger units to hit due to their smaller size and boss dodge-stats are also not much fun like that, but at the same time if we do hit we can bop their skulls in simple enough.

Enemy phase everyone attacks the Brains, so I waste the turn not attacking back.

Turn 4 - The battleships roar up at all speeds and each destroy a Cher. Char wounds some more enemies with his combo power, and my super robot boys disembark to do some slapping. Koji almost one-shots a Grand Cher with a Turbo Smasher punch which is amazing on its own. Boss can't really do anything because he has no attacks that can reach the sky so he just repairs Char who did take some damage doing support defence.

Enemy phase they mostly attack Koji and take ridiculous damage. The Archangel kills a few, and the bosses don't do all that much.

Turn 5 - We wipe out all the Grand Cher mooks, and ding up the other two. I try not to move too far away because we're going to be loading up everyone we can to run them back when the second wave arrives.

Enemy phase Shiela wipes herself out on the Nadesico.

Turn 6 - We wipe out Jonathon, Tetsuya hitting level 14 from the killing blow. I did this cause he has accel and can catch up.

Oh no.

BULLY ALERT Master Asia beat up the Archangel a little.

Then he leaps over and bullies the Nadesico too.

Then he drops his Death Army buddies on us, backed up by his jerksquad made up of all of Domon's friends. Domon thinks they're evil of their own free will somehow but luckily the butler is fine and manages to come and tell us their will was stolen from them! That means we're going to have to fight them!

Yurika's not really coping so well here but she's got the right idea.

So these G-Boys are our minibosses for the middle of the stage, and they're going to be a pushover. They're not that dodgy or durable. Argo's the toughest to take down by virtue of his HP and armour, and George has a MAP attack which is notable not for its damage but for the fact if he uses it we can't retaliate and hurt him.

Continuing our turn I throw everyone else in the Nadesico and Archangel (including Domon who decided to get out again) and woosh them at full speed towards the Death Army.

Enemy phase the Death Army trickles forwards. I hope they like punches!

Turn 7 - Tetsuya catches up quick as I expected, and everyone else piles out of the clown cars to fight. Lots of Death Army boys start dying, and the child-crew members of the Archangel hit level 12.

Enemy phase most of the Death Army suicide onto the Archangel, and the G Boys come running in to trade some hits with our battleships.

Turn 8 - We start whittling down our Shuffle-buddies. Tetsuya removes Sai and hits level 15.

Enemy phase the last of the Death army dies to Koji, and Combattler V's team removes Chibodee to hit level 15. George uses his MAP to ensure we won't be taking him out this turn. Koji bops Argo and also hits level 15!

Turn 9 – We pool our punches and Char finishes off the Rose Gundam.

Oh no! They revived due to the DG Cells somehow!

The Shuffle Alliance arrives and quickly realises that Domon's friends are all successors to their Shuffle power or something I don't know it's weird, but anyway they do what they always do which is literally nothing helpful and sacrifice themselves to save the dudes. Master Asia can't decide if he's cool with this or not, but at least it means there's no one to stop him from doing that super cool trick he likes where he has the Devil Gundam hide nearby and jump out to attack people and infect them with DG Cells right?

I feel like this is karmic justice for trolling me but anyway some mysterious third party saves the day. But who are they?!

I hear ya, Ruri.

Koji and Combattler V move up to bop some snoots. We only need to kill either Master Gundam or Devil Gundam to beat this stage, much as before. The Master Gundam is a fair bit beefier this time and in some trees, but the Devil Gundam is going to be both hiding in the mountains and regenerating its health the whole time so you know what? Not worth it.

Enemy phase Death army goons bounce off of my two super robots, the Devil Gundam takes a swing at Koji but Char protects him, and Master Asia fails a MAP attempt. Not too bad really.

Turn 10 – Tetsuya catches up and keeps killing Death Army goons, Boss helps out Char and hits level 14. The Archangel's laminate armour also has made it completely invulnerable to the Death Army goons, it's great. We clean some more up, and then...

Enemy phase the Archangel tanks and spanks, Murrue and Natarle hitting 13. Master Asia keeps MAPing and it doesn't do much.

Turn 11 – The last mook dies, and it's time to mob Master Asia. He's way more tanky this time though, but still doesn't regen. Mazinkaiser actually takes a bit hit.

Enemy phase not much changes to be honest, the old man just throws out his MAPs and that's about it.

Turn 12 – Boss heals up Mazinkaiser and hits Level 15. We Daunt Master Asia and just keep on swinging! We get the big guy low and then it's time to bust out our biggest gun. See, now we have Mazinkaiser we've unlocked a twin-attack with Great Mazinger. Actually we've unlocked two between them but the one we wants is the strongest one.

I definitely need to make sure I keep the Mazinbros tucked together more often than not. It's definitely helpful.

The Devil Gundam decides to run amock but Yuu is able to use the power of his Brain to protect the area with only a small amount of damage.

In the aftermath everyone works together to fix the town, and it's apparently Natarle's idea to do it which she works fast to undermine by telling them to arrest Yuu. Except Yuu left earlier and no one really wanted to do it anyway considering he saved the whole town. I didn't screenshot it all because holy poo poo I've done too many already THANKS NEW ENEMIES.

The moral of the story is Natarle's a fuckin' idiot. Oh and the G Boys are joining us, which means I get a new unit next mission. Too bad that's not going to make up for the two units the game is taking off me next mission.

Turn count 137

Next Time on Super Robot Wars J! Koji Kabuto Dies In High School Reunion

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Super RoboKy Draft Wars Episode 17: Ashura and You Shall Receive

I'm really off my screenshot game today I'm sorry. If this were a Tomino series I guess this episode would have been called “Whisperd” or something.

Still a little bit of catching up with everyone going on here, everyone talking about how Kira totes seems to be a lot different but also seems to be spending lots of time with Flay. What could possibly have happened?!

Kira got laid.

Apparently the school Koji, Sayaka, Boss, and Char went to is being closed down on account of the war mostly trashing the poo poo out of the surrounding area. And the multiple alien invasions. I like this touch because it helps point out just how hosed up the world is at this point.

Kaname was in the intro of the game talking about how crazy and from another world all the Photon Labs people were, but whie they've been gone she's been having to put up with this weird guy named Sosuke causing her all sorts of trouble. A real military enthusiast constantly getting in the way. She often beats him up with a large paper fan, but now the school is getting closed down there's a distinct feeling of sadness because she might never see him again.

Similarly Koji, Sayaka and Char have turned up to see their old school one last time. Char remarks that he just doesn't even feel a sense of longing to return to his old life. He cares too much about using what he has to try to save the world.

Then someone crashes the party, and we see that yeah, it's our Sosuke from before and he seems to have been focused on protecting Kaname. No worries I'm sure we'll just do a mission where we have to defend the school from-

Oh no wait actually we're hosed Koji, Sayaka, Char and pretty much everyone at the school were kidnapped by Baron Ashura. That's about 200 or so people I think? Boss was actually on the scene with his Borot and almost saved the day, but the dude can't fly (his attacks can't even attack flying units, it's worth noting). Also Ashura broke away from the usual Dr. Hell convention and actually employed normal human mooks to help him instead of the usual corpses with computers stragged to them they usually get by with, said normal humans piloting Arm Slaves not too different from what we saw Sosuke and crew using earlier.

Unsurprisingly Baron Ashura is very aware of who he has captured when it comes to the Photon Labs crew, but apparently that's not who they came to get and the whole Kabuto kidnapping thing was just by chance. Instead Baron Ashura is working with an incredibly nasty fellow by the name of Gauron, and by all accounts he only needed one person out of the couple of hundred they've taken. Kaname Chidori. The rest? Collateral in case the UEFA wants to pursue. Also Gauron will probably just kill them because it's funny.

Sosuke almost reveals himself stopping Gauron from killing one of the teachers, and realises this poo poo might be a bit above his problem solving skills alone. Luckily for him no one really knew that Char was the pilot of a robot himself, and even though he doesn't have any particular training as a foot-sloggers, his combat experience makes him better than a regular civilian in the high pressure scenario. So off they go to try to find a means to contact the outside world, because if anyone can arrange a rescue it's Mithril.

Unsurprisingly the UEFA is a little hamstrung on this one. They don't want to directly contribute to the deaths of the hostages but at the same time don't really have much of a plan. It certainly doesn't help that Baron Ashura has swoosed them all off into territory held by ZAFT. Fortunately Mithril gets in touch and they have a plan for a rescue, and it's going to require our heroes to head into the disputed territory and kick some butt as a decoy.

Everyone but Natarle is cool with that.

Yzak is super cool with that. Notice he has a scar now? Yeah on the other route he had a bit of a brush with explosions. Athrun is in charge of the crew in the territory, and Yzak is chomping at the bit to get into a fight. Athrun is still hesitant because he doesn't want to fight Kira, but reasons that since Kira should have gotten off the Archangel by now it should be fine right? RIGHT?! It's not like he's been guilted into continuing to fight right?

So we pull into the area and sure enough it's time to fight. Interestingly Yzak is going to get pretty pissed off because we aren't deploying Kira or the Strike. It's a nice touch. It's also a little rough on us because we're down two units, one of which is Mazinkaiser. Luckily we still have Combattler V who has been punching well above the weight I thought it was, and we do get ourselves one extra unit.

A unit I apparently forgot to screenshot. But it's Chibodee in his AMERICA Gundam. You saw it last mission, and Chibodee is a like Domon in a lot of ways. He's not terribly dodgy which is a bad thing in this game but he's a decent damage dealer that will get more powerful later on so we can't complain too much about that. He rocks Counter and Potential Level 2 for abilities, and in his Spirit pool he has Strike, Wall and Fury which are pretty decent for what is a guy devoted to damage. Chibodee's a work in progress and he'll get better. Never quite as good as our better dudes but honest to god it's fine I'll let you know when we get our unit made entirely out of trash garbage (that isn't Boss).

We also have loads of new enemy units to look at!

Three water foes and a flying enemy! G00hNs kinda look like ACGuys so hey they're just like Goons in general. Water combat can be troubling in SRW games whenever it happens, because beam weaponry gets neutered due to water and lots of units suck rear end in water. SRWJ has ample amounts of water to fight in and absolutely no Getter unit in sight what the gently caress. Can't say there's too much more about these guys, they have Coordinator and they're not afraid to use it. The DINN is a flying unit and they're mostly a non-threat unless there's lots of them and they get lucky.

Yzak's not merely sporting a new facial injury, his Duel has actually received an upgrade from its plain vanilla flavour. A slightly different look, a smidge bit more armour right? WRONG. The Duel Gundam now has two lives. Destroy the first health bar and it reverts to its standard form with a fresh health bar at full, because the armour is sort of attached to the machine it isn't actually the machine. There's a few other units that do this in SRW games in general, and a few in SRWJ to boot. Yzak's armour doing that is also canon to SEED so I can't really complain, it's a nice touch.

So the mission is to go down and punch some butts of the ZAFT guys to start off with. Let's get to it!

Turn 1 – We move everyone down south, I plan on fighting on the little bit of land down there because Zaft has some good water-fighting units I want to try to draw onto land where Chibodee can actually fight.

Enemy phase a few units advance but most just hold their ground.

Turn 2 – We roar everyone down south some more, and unload some of our dudes. The Archangel kiddy-crew hit level 13, learning the Assault spirit. The rest just do some tapping and we see what happens next.

Enemy phase the Archangel kills one enemy, and everyone else goes in swinging for Combattler V who tanks like a champ.

Turn 3 - The Nadesico pops a sub-suit and hits level 15, Yurika learning Support Attack Level 1 which is GREAT. Also Great is great and he kills someone too, so does Chibodee for the first time, landing the first blow for Neo-America we'll see in this run. Boss repairs Combattler V some, and we prepare for more hurt.

Enemy phase The DINNs push up and the Archangel hits back, with the commander-ladies hitting level 14. Natarle gets Support Attack Level 1 which would be nice if I put her as main pilot.

Turn 4 – More destruction sees the kiddies on the Archangel hit level 14 and we learn Snipe which is nice. I say that a lot but +2 range is definitely a nice nice. We're chewing through the enemy at a decent enough clip, though the enemy G Boys are coming in hot now.

Enemy phase the enemy battleship opens fire on the Archangel, and there's not really much we can do there because the beam weapons bristling on the Archangel cannot do more than 10 damage to anything in water. It sucks but we could take advantage of it to if we could.

Turn 5 – Boss does some patch up work on Chibodee who took some fire, and hits level 16. We spread everyone else out so Yurika can do her MAP, and Miguel dies as a result which unsurprisingly upsets all the ZAFT boys.

Don't put that on his tombstone, guys.

I throw Combattler into the mix of everyone with Guard on in the hope everyone will target them and get mauled.

Enemy phase the plan works a treat and the enemy forces starts piling into Combattler V. Athrun and Yzak go for the Nadesico and in spite of the fact it should be a no-chance to hit them, both catch Gravity Blasts to the face, and the Duel loses its first health bar.

Turn 6 – The Archangel gets a support attack backup from the Nadesico and sends Yzak packing.

Poor Yzak, gets no revenge and loses a mentor figure all in the same battle.

The entire crew hits level 15 and Murrue learns Support Attack Level 1 rendering Natarle pointless again. They also get Gain as a spirit. The Nadesico MAPs again and wipes out two units, one of which being the Blitz trying to hide in water. I don't think that 50/50 dodge ability works against MAPs but hey if I'm wrong that just means I got lucky and I don't mind. Yurika hits level 16 and learns both Support Defence Level 3 and Command Level 2. Command Level 2 is a big deal! Ruri learns Support Defence Level 1 and Command Level 1, just in case you feel like sending her out to fight. Combattler V drops Dearka, and Tetsuya removes Athrun which leaves us the subbleship and a water-mook.

Enemy phase Boss kills the mook, and the battleship isn't long for this world, which means next turn is gonna be a big deal.

Turn 7 – Tetsuya kills the battleship and hits level 16.

With our enemies taken care of the Nadesico operates its Baron Ashura calling whistle. It sounds like someone yelling “Oh no our units are weakened from fighting I hope no one attacks us!

Hi Baron Ashura fancy meeting you out here! Nice submarine! We have to spend about five turns not killing too many enemies, but the game has no problem with you doing something like weakening them.

We pull back since we have to spend the next six turns or so doing literally nothing in order to not fail the mission. In that way the best thing to do is just throw everyone in the battleships to restore them and just lure the enemies into a big, wounded blob.

Enemy phase OH BOY HERE COME ENEMIES.

I'm going to fast forwards a little I think.

You know how those M9s the Mithril folks had could dodge enemy fire? Well apparently that's a cloaking system in play, and this technology is so practical they've slapped it on helicopters and just stealth-rescued an entire poorly attended school's worth of hostages. But that's not important! What is important is we can destroy them all violently now.

Turn 12 – I spent the entirety of that time drawing my opponents in, and wounding every single one that attacked with my battleships. As you can see, they're all conveniently placed!

Not a lot is left after that as you can imagine, and everyone rolls right up towards Ashura. Two more die after our antics leaving the stragglers who didn't get MAP'd behind.

Fresh off of having a giant flying machine named Ghoul we have the giant submersible called Bood! Baron Ashura gets more vehicle variations than I think anyone else does in this game. We have not seen their final form yet.

Enemy phase the enemy suicides on the Nadesico and Boss. Yeah that was weird.

Turn 13 – There's not much left here but the Bood, so we plink it with our Battleships, and then just because he actually has enough Will to do it, I decide it's time to have Boss do his best attack and also fulfil a request that we kill Boss as often as we can.

Yes.

We finish the Bool off with Great, and the cost is high.

Sorry I just love that screen.

A slight problem is noted post-rescue, we haven't got Koji, Sayaka or Char back in our hands and Mithril is keenly aware they have neither Sosuke nor Kaname rescued either. Truth is all five are on the hop running from Gauron's goons and Kaname is a little distraught that Sosuke is acting like he's in charge when he's in the company of actual heroes who fight to defend the world! Then when none of them know how to pilot a standard Arm Frame he has the gall to put his hand up to do it.

A novice like him shouldn't try to get in the way like this, right?

Sorry Kaname, but your entire world just got flipped on its head. Sosuke drops the truth and starts getting everyone out of there.

Problem is Gauron is still around, and he refuses to let either a Whispered or his old favourite little boy of war Kasshim go. That's Kaname and Sosuke by the way, with the latter he has some history and it's not a good one. Actually it's one where one was pretty sure they'd already killed the other one so hey that's kinda weird. Gauron's packing some unnatural technology to boot, and Sosuke's Arm Slave is quickly trashed. Things look bad for our heroes but hey, that's why this was just PART ONE.

Turn Count: 150

Next time on Super Robot Wars J: Wow, this Lambda's complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I do just want to poke my head in and let everyone know I'm out of the country and away from my usual stuff for three weeks starting tomorrow so I won't be updating my journey through robots punching one another.