Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Nice, thank you

RabidWeasel posted:

a coastal territory if they're in a province with a port.

aha, this one is especially interesting as Bosporan kingdom because you naturally end up forming a ring around the Black sea, so sounds like it could be pretty easy to move pops around from coast to coast. Very cool.

RabidWeasel posted:

If you want to preserve your sanity I recommend not trying to optimise this too much.

haha yeah that makes sense, but it's at least nice to know what the optimal would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You can also send people down major rivers which is cool, makes colonising into deep Scythia a lot easier. Though the pathing only goes along the river course itself so you can't just send all of your colonists directly from Taurica

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

RabidWeasel posted:

to a coastal territory if they're in a province with a port.

RabidWeasel posted:

You can also send people down major rivers which is cool, makes colonising into deep Scythia a lot easier. Though the pathing only goes along the river course itself so you can't just send all of your colonists directly from Taurica

Hmm I can't get either of these to work. I can only move pops from the same province or adjacent territory. Is it a tech or something?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not 100% on manual pop moving but I'm almost certain that you can colonise territories that you wouldn't usually be able to when major rivers are involved, it's been a while since I did that though so maybe I'm wrong

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think the port thing is limited to 1-2 sea zones, I've never been able to send pops long distance. Also you can move across multiple land territories at once as long as they're in the same province, so if you need to move some primary culture pops through a lot of off-culture territory to colonise stuff on the other side, you end up sending them 2-3 territories at once across a province, then 1 territory over the border to the next province, then another 2-3, etc. It's not elegant.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It’d be nice if you could move pops within regions.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah that would be cool but also the list would be a bit overwhelming

Part of me wishes that pops were just province-level and not territory-level

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

fuf posted:

Part of me wishes that pops were just province-level and not territory-level

That, uh, would break a whole bunch of stuff, for not much gain?

Do like a sane person and just forget manual pop movement exists.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That, uh, would break a whole bunch of stuff, for not much gain?

yeah I obviously mean in a "if the game had been designed differently" sense

the gain imo would be making pops a bit more manageable so that it's fun to engage with rather than being something people are warned away from to preserve their sanity

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Just wanted to confirm this: is there any difference between the Hellenistic Empire and the Argead Empire besides the name and the requirements to form them?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
No. It’s just whether your ruler has the Argead bloodline or not.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

White Coke posted:

No. It’s just whether your ruler has the Argead bloodline or not.

Got it. I was able to kill my son's wife and get him hitched with an Argead bloodline lady so that's going well so far.

I've been playing as the Antigonids, and oh my god, the amount of micro is taxing on my mental health. Eventually the Seleukids went "Hey do you just want a peace deal where you take like 35% of my empire" and I ended up accepting it. In my defense, I was getting massacred by the Egyptians at that point, who for some reason decided to do a regular conquest CB instead of the LoA CB, which was quite fortunate for me. Macedonia I barely even touched, just let all my feudatories handle them. Eventually I had to raise the Macedonian region levy because the vassal swarm got in some sort of endless loop where they weren't actually sieging anything anymore. Thrace went down real easily.

Also, in case anyone else is absolutely insane and wants to do an Antigonid run, you can subjugate basically every minor nation remotely close to you as long as they have Greek culture. They'll all accept feudatory status if you send them a gift and ally them. Oh and also, you don't need to lose Cappadocia. The event where you lose them only fires if this character called "Ariarathes Ariarathid" is living in Armenia. If you befriend him, then you can recruit him to your kingdom instead, and Cappadocia stays as your client state.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is there any way to get Macedon to surrender Corinth, or is it just an option for human players to pick?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

White Coke posted:

Is there any way to get Macedon to surrender Corinth, or is it just an option for human players to pick?

Just took a quick look at the game files, it looks like Macedon has a 99% chance to go to war over it and a 1% chance to give it up, regardless of any other factors. So it doesn't seem likely.

While I was looking through the files, if I was reading it correctly it looks like if Macedon decides to go to war with Antigonids, Egypt has a 40% chance to declare war, a 55% chance to demand territory, or a 5% chance to completely back down (not so uncommon, it happened in my most recent game). The Selukids on the other hand have a 0% chance of backing down, they will either demand territory (20%) or just declare war (80%). It was difficult to figure out Thrace, but they should be easy to take out as a human player so long as you use the Diadochi CB.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
what causes the "Governor Wages: -25%" penalty to province commerce income? Sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not and I can't figure out the pattern.

e: uhh never mind I think it might just always be there. I'm sure I saw it disappear once or twice...

fuf fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 27, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

RIP (for now?) little buddy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I guess that explains why they haven't done any follow up on 2.0's release in spite of it having some clear areas for improvement

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012
It's a pity. I've been trying the game out again after the mostly positive feedback to the latest patch and it really feels as if they're now in a good starting spot where they could start adding "content" and incremental improvements through future DLC's.

But hardly surprising due the low interest/sales after the ... erm ... troubled start.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can probably delete the last 3 words from the thread title now.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
That sucks! Imperator is honestly my favourite paradox game right now.

Yes it's full of problems but I dunno if I can go back to the other games after the pop system of imperator. They are gonna feel so empty.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Heard about this earlier, kind of a punch in the gut as I've been playing it a lot lately. I know they're not saying for sure that it's gonna be shelved permanently, but the fact that they're basically asking people to be prepared for that possibility is not good news.

But now that the bugfixes that I assumed were right around the corner don't seem to be coming, does anyone use any bugfix mods/QoL mods for 2.0? I've been achievement hunting lately but in case I want a nice relaxing game where systems work like they're supposed to (what is even going on with relics) I may start playing with them.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'm fairly interested in playing this, any tips or good places to start as?

i dont really wanna be roman

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Pontus

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

That's a good regio, but I think Thrace is a bit easier for a beginner.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Communist Thoughts posted:

Egypt is big and buff but doesn't have to deal with the crises and massive borders of Antigonids or Seleukids, plus they are objectively the coolest faction. I got vaguely competent at the game mechanics as them. You can learn as you go.

e: Egypt is also a country that has loads of room for expansion, including a free event one where you just take over everything you occupy, but don't have to if you don't want to. You can and have to gently caress around with the pop/culture/religion system and learn it, because you're ptolemaic Egypt, but you're strong enough that when you inevitably gently caress up the revolt can't possibly challenge you.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 30, 2021

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Communist Thoughts posted:

Bosporan Kingdom is a decent one, it's up by the Crimean Peninsula. There are small states near you to gobble up, you're far enough away that Rome probably won't pester you, and it's unlikely that any of the Diadochi will hassle you unless you hassle them first. There's also plenty of uncolonized land by you so it's a good opportunity to learn how that works. Plus it's got a decent heritage.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah Bosporan kingdom! It's the best. Honestly a little TOO much empty land to colonise so you forget to fight wars.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bosporan kingdom is good, Thrace is also good if you want to get spicy. Once you think you have a decent grasp of the games basic systems play as Carthage and put some hair on your chest

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I would imagine that given the issues with their flagship product EU4’s latest DLC, there’s probably a mad scramble now to figure out how it happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again. Well that’s my optimistic scenario.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Beefeater1980 posted:

I would imagine that given the issues with their flagship product EU4’s latest DLC, there’s probably a mad scramble now to figure out how it happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again. Well that’s my optimistic scenario.

This is pure conjecture, but since this has apparently been going on for a while before Leviathan was even released, I'm guessing they saw what the team did for I:R and thought their talents could be used to make Victoria 3 better. And they would be absolutely right about that, but I wonder if these systems could really be brought into a 19th century setting.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

trapped mouse posted:

This is pure conjecture, but since this has apparently been going on for a while before Leviathan was even released, I'm guessing they saw what the team did for I:R and thought their talents could be used to make Victoria 3 better. And they would be absolutely right about that, but I wonder if these systems could really be brought into a 19th century setting.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/mod-imperatrix-victoria.1410441/

Anno
May 10, 2017

Dnote replied further down thread that they’re just having a hard time hiring as many people as they need right now. Not sure if that’s because of pandemic restrictions in Sweden or what. So presumably people are being pulled from Imperator to reinforce other teams and then they’ll rebuild the Imperator team when they can get people hired, hopefully.

Sounds like a lovely situation and I hope they work it out. They could obviously do with a lot of extra people on the various PDS teams despite having expanded a lot in the last could years. Hopefully until then they start leaning more towards what’s going on with CK3 where people are complaining that content rollout is too slow vs. whatever the hell happened with Leviathan. That has its own complications being a new studio outside of the core, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It always seems weird how people are swapped around the various projects at paradox year to year. New leads taking over, content designers playing musical chairs with the different games. In a year when the pandemic is over in sweden and paradox staffs up again, there will be a new team on imperator with hardly anyone who made it what it currently is working on it. This is the kind of thing that has contributed to many EU4 updates/DLCs feeling like mods, essentially. Just people approaching the games thinking "What can I add to this?" with no consistent long-term plans.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Wow, THIS is something to keep an eye on. Thanks for the tip!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It always seems weird how people are swapped around the various projects at paradox year to year. New leads taking over, content designers playing musical chairs with the different games. In a year when the pandemic is over in sweden and paradox staffs up again, there will be a new team on imperator with hardly anyone who made it what it currently is working on it. This is the kind of thing that has contributed to many EU4 updates/DLCs feeling like mods, essentially. Just people approaching the games thinking "What can I add to this?" with no consistent long-term plans.

yeah this has always struck me as terrible strategy

Anno
May 10, 2017

Presumably that’s one of the reasons they made this org change right? Hopefully, at least. Artists and writers make some sense flitting about but I imagine it sucks being a programmer or designer and having to move around much.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From what I understand people get exhausted from trying to produce more and more content for those games. Civilization series is similar, no designer has made 2 civ games, and from what I understand they don't direct expansions after they've made a game

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

ilitarist posted:

From what I understand people get exhausted from trying to produce more and more content for those games. Civilization series is similar, no designer has made 2 civ games, and from what I understand they don't direct expansions after they've made a game

Back in the day we only made 1 game at a time, so we got some creative mindswitch between them.. but still..

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

...am I out of my mind, or did Borderless Fullscreen disappear? I'm playing on a Surface Pro and historically the System (Enhanced) Win10 scaling option works great in borderless mode. I thought it was weird that the other Clausewitz games had it and I:R didn't - but I'm finding nothing but indications in my search that the option either was - or is - supposed to be there.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I'm thinking about doing the Ashoka's Pillars achievement, but I have a question for anyone who may know the Mauryas better than I do. Just from personal testing I found that it is pretty easy to convert to Buddhism near the beginning of the game, so long as you bank Political Influence. This seems like a perfectly fine way to do it, this way you can start converting your provinces more quickly and the characters in your nation get pissed before you get the new heritage that lowers your civil war threshold insanely low. However I know that historically the Mauryas converted to Buddhism, and I heard that there is some sort of event chain to convert naturally. However, looking around I have been unable to find any of the details of that event chain. If I can trigger it early enough and not have to spend the political influence, the stability, and possibly have more characters in my empire convert over at once, then I may want to wait for that. Of course it all depends on the details of the event chain (if it even exists), if I have to wait for my third ruler to take power before converting it may not be worth it...