Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hell yeah, imperator thread.

Lp chat: yeah I really wish streamers would take a page from that guy that did the Knossos/Crete 2 parter (actually has he done more yet?). They’re an excellent pace and have the attention in all the right places. He’s got some annoying mannerisms but overall the video was excellent. I’ve looked around at other streamers/youtubers and ugh so many of them just drag poo poo on forever, pause the game and ramble about irrelevant poo poo, or are just obnoxious as hell

Thankfully the game comes out this week and I won’t have to search for streams to satisfy my craving. I’ve been trying to play new games of EU4 and CK2 in my downtime and I’m just burned out. Extremely hype for imperator :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Obliterati posted:

That's actually patriciani grammatico

lol can we get a thread title update already?

Imperator - Rome: pls this is the imperator thread. "patriciani grammatico" tyvm

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Communist Bear posted:

What are we looking at here, sorry?

Johan decided he can represent the dual consulship of the republic the day before release :paradox:

e: wow is there actually no paradox smilie

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah like what the gently caress. Wait until I’ve got a few weeks of play time or until it’s like a day before patch release before dropping that nugget

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I was thinking I’d play Rome for my first play through, I always like to play a typical power as a first run through a paradox game (ottos/France/Spain in Europa, England in Victoria, Germany in HoI, etc), but I’ll probably hold off and play as like massalia or something

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Prav posted:

lotta wildly unreasonable people out there, apparently

yep. im thinking of the steam reviews?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I liked playing epirus first for similar reasons

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I guess this game was a flop eh. I played about 20 hours and put it down. Picked up HoI4 on sale to complete my all-modern-paradox collection and I've just been playing that, waiting for 1.1

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hoi4 isn't, but stellaris, ck2 and eu4 are all multi post a day threads. And this one is brand new. Pretty sad to admit because I really like the premise and mechanics of this game, but I think it's a flop for now. It's just kinda boring I guess

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Waiting for mana to fill up to assimilate pops = bad. Waiting for gold to fill up to buy a building that assimilates pops = good.

you can't crush your neighbours and loot their mana and mana generating resources

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I fired this up again last night, and I cant put my finger on it but I'm just not feeling inspired at all. It's really sad because this is my favourite time period in history, and I love all the other paradox grand strategy games. Before 1.2, I played Rome a few times, epirus, sparta, some Greeks in gaul and Spain, and a German tribe. I'd say the most fun I had was masillia in southern gaul. I downloaded the beta patch last night and started a game as knossos, united Crete and just kinda lost interest again. The new pop mechanics are good, I like the variety in buildings, I like the revised power system. I just feel like, I dunno, ultimately it's just a bland map painter. In EU and CK theres an element of advancing ages that bring changes, invasions, new mechanics and stuff like that, plus all of the internal politics that keeps you from just steamrolling everything effortlessly. Not to mention the various unique government types, colonization efforts, etc. In Imperator you just kinda blob constantly, until you smash into another blob and break them apart. It doesn't really matter where you are in the world, it's all kinda samey.

I'll probably try another game, maybe as a larger power? I dunno, I keep wanting to like this but keep bouncing off it and going back to EU and stellaris.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

its to enhance your ~immersion~

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Started up another game of this in earnest since 1.2.0 has been out, picked Dobunna (?) and united Pritania, and I just invaded Belgium to break onto the mainland. I played a bunch prior to the overhaul in the hellenic world (Rome, epirus, masillia, crete, some other small Greek states) so I know the drill with monarchies/republics, but as a tribe, I basically wanna rush to centralize/civilize as fast as possible right? Because of the bad research of tribes?

Also how do I decide where/when to build cities? I've been aggregating slaves in good trade good provinces and then building them into a city to handle the population/build buildings to boost output. Any other tips on cities?

So far I really like the changes mechanically, I like the buildings, single power system, pop movement is a lot nicer now, lots to like. I still feel something of a lack of sterility, like I'm just some gallic tribe thats just expanding to expand, but the mechanics are a lot more satisfying now. The tribe thing makes characters a little more interesting, but I still haven't bothered to learn names.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

drat nice, guess I'm gonna shelve my pritania game for now and pick it up again after. Those changes look awesome, I especially like the character/family rework to make characters more interesting and worth caring about and the mission system to give better focus and guidance to the player. I'd been feeling especially in the further flung barbarian lands that a sense of direction is seriously lacking and this should help

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I'm much more thoroughly enjoying imperator this time around, but holy gently caress that roman steam roller. I played maybe 25 hours back on release and put it down for a while, so on returning now I started a Rome game. I did pretty well I thought, by 490 I was in cisalpine gaul, had corsica, all of italy and a toehold on Sicily (so ahead of irl rome). I figured that was enough to figure the new mechanics (which I like quite a bit), so I fired up a new, more interesting game. Started as Gortyna and formed Crete, have made some inroads into Asia and Laconia, and am ready to face the Antigonids. I decided at that point to zoom out and seen that Rome is screaming away faster than even I was (and I thought I was playing fast on both my rome and Crete games).

Rome already, by 488, has all of Italy, cisalpine gaul, Sicily, corsica and sardinia, epirus, and is busy conquering all of north Africa from Carthage. I'd say they're approximately at the second carthaginian war, but about 50 years early (about 50 years early in Greece too). I figured I'd have a bit more time to get on a firm footing to face rome in Greece before they showed up but they've already wiped out epirus and taken all their land.

Is this peoples typical experience with the pace of Rome? I definitely agree that they should basically inevitably expand in their historical fashion, but this pace seems ridiculous. In a game that only lasts 277 years, being 50 years ahead on history seems like they may be a bit more buffed than necessary.

Tbf I haven't come in contact with them yet so I may be able to stand up against them when it comes time, but I'm just seeing the pace and feeling disheartened about playing so "close" to them

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The time limit seems silly to me. Anyone remember the dev justification? The civil war and formation of the empire feels right in the middle of the classical era, seems like an abrupt stop to put it there. I agree with the above poster that the apex of Roman power seems a natural end point, from the depths of Alexander's shattered empire to the height of the Roman one. Diocletian feels kinda far away, the administration of the empire had become sufficiently complex by then that the game mechanics start to feel pretty limited. I think throwing on another 144 years to get to Trajans death feels appropriate, and then maybe dlc can bloat it out to 453 (Atilla dead) or 476.

e: honestly actually it would be dope to have a game between diocletian and Crusader Kings, focused on early feudalism, a depopulated europe, the rise of Islam and the great migrations

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 8, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I like the EU4/I:R ZoC system despite its quirks and flaws, but I feel like fortifications should be less important for this era. Border forts to prevent raids (tiny AI shitstacks swarming your interior while you're busy fighting the war) feels right, but this wasn't an era of castles and it certainly wasn't the era of EYW style star fort siege warfare. I don't know if the AI could properly handle it, but I feel like there should be increased warscore for battles, as many (most?) wars during antiquity were decided with decisive engagements, rather than sieges and taking/holding land. Increasing the emphasis on bringing your opponents main forces to battle, combined with the supply system (which is great), and the link of armies to pops, I think would make the warfare in I:R stand out from similar games.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Not saying they're not important, just that they are too EU4-like right now. This is also the era of some of the largest and most important land battles of all time, and those outnumber and have more name recognition that the sieges, I'd wager. Sieges rarely decided the war in this era. Right now I can smash the enemy army to pieces in a pitched battle (if I catch them before they hide behind their forts), but then I still have to siege down a bunch of their poo poo to get the warscore. I wanna play as Aemilius Paulus, Hannibal, and Alexander, not as Maurice of Nassau.

Right now it feels like every war is 5-10 Alesias until your army is powerful enough, and then Alesia isn't even something that is possible anymore.

Not really providing actionable criticism here, I just feel the prevalence of EU4 style sieges feels wrong in this era

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

White Coke posted:

Wasn't Hannibal unable to successfully besiege Rome or other Roman cities?

Hannibal never attempted it but probably because he didn't have the supply train to stay encamped so close to the enemy while they actively had armies harassing. I've seen it said that Hannibals lack of siege weapons resulted in him not being able to take the city, but he never really displayed a desire to. His occupation efforts were chiefly concerning supply - usually ports like Capua. He had access to Greek engineers after large parts of Magna Graecia defected, plenty of money to pay them (the Barca's silver mines is what allowed them to raise their large mercenary army), and he spent like 15 years in Italy, so no shortage of time either. The truth is that he always pursued decisive battle with the Romans in the hope that he could continue to convince the socii to defect.

When the Romans went to Africa too, they sieged and assaulted Utica again only for a supply port. They didn't lay siege to any other cities, only desiring to destroy the Carthaginian army in front of the senate so they could force a peace deal.

I guess my point is that in this era, the mindset of generals was to defeat the enemy in pitched battle to win the war. This is unlike most of EU4's era where capturing strategic, fortified locations was the prime consideration.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, again, I'm not saying sieges were unimportant in this time period. I'm saying that EU4 style mechanics encourages EYW-esque wars where I can win without ever facing the enemy. I just think epic fortifications like at Rhodes, Syracuse, etc. should be rarer and not every drat siege, and that battles should give more warscore

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sorry, eighty years war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

Romans only want one thing and it's disgusting

all they want is simply a conquest of the entire known world, and an opulent megalopolis built by entire races of enslaved peoples using their looted wealth and resources. is that really so much to ask? is that not what we all dream of?