Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drone posted:

Really hoping the general unplayability that came across during the streamer MP match last weekend is resolved by launch. I remember the last stream day being nothing but frustration for a lot of the people involved (at least, the streamers that I were watching). Desyncs every few minutes plagued the first like 2 hours of that stream.

Excited for this though, even though I never played EU:Rome. I can't help but seeing a ton of Victoria's DNA in this game too (something something "Vicky 3 when" meme), so I'm really interested to see if they get the core pop systems down well enough and if it's mechanically interesting to play, because I imagine they've been using Stellaris 2.0 and Imperator as a sort of testing grounds for how to handle certain aspects of V3.

From all accounts this game is mostly EU, with a bit of CK and almost no Vicky. Any Vicky DNA you may see is almost purely superficial. The pop system is extremely basic and limited, the geopolitics are not nearly as deep, and there's no market system or any form of economy system beyond "provinces and trade routes give you money." The air should be cleared before anyone gets any further misconceptions. Do not get this game expecting anything Vicky-like at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I'd argue that Victoria did not have especially deep geopolitics. You had spheres and alliances, and the later-added crisis system. But it wasn't like super deep, diplomacy is much better developed and more important in EU4 than it is in Victoria 2.

Trade routes and trade goods in Imperator mostly seem to exist to allow you to stack up modifiers on provinces, and to enable recruitment of restricted units. The money earned is important but is somewhat secondary to this mechanic. That's pretty different from EU4, where trade goods also bring benefit for the owner, but that effect isn't nearly as important and you can't really import trade goods to earn their benefits. I think many people are thinking this is a little too similar to EU4.

There's also a lot of people viewing both Victoria 1 and 2 with very rose-tinted glasses, and that's speaking as someone who played and loved both of them. If I were to guess I'd imagine that many of these are people who never actually played them that much (I'm not saying you are one of them, don't really know, but if I were to guess I'd say you'd played them), but know them mostly through discussions, let's plays/AARs and possibly having played some ~20 hours of Victoria 2 when Heart of Darkness came out, in any case they mostly like what they've heard/seen but would much rather play a Victoria 3 than go back to Victoria 2.

Sure, about the geopolitics. Though HoD still had the deepest handling of that aspect out of any of the Paradox releases, I'd argue. My point was more that this ain't that. And indeed, Imperator's trade goods ain't EU, but they're definitely not Vicky either. That's the main point I wanted to get across.

The feeling I get is actually that Imperator will end up standing on its own much more than many people are thinking. Its closest relative is definitely EU, but it still has systems unique to it, and I think the distinction between Imperator and the rest of the paradox catalog will only grow as more DLC comes out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I'm trash so that game and every DLC that ever comes for it is probably already bought, to resist is useless.

The map looks beautiful and it's a ripe time period, but the thing I heard that has me a bit excited is a Vic 2 inspired population system.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Any Vicky DNA you may see is almost purely superficial. The pop system is extremely basic and limited, the geopolitics are not nearly as deep, and there's no market system or any form of economy system beyond "provinces and trade routes give you money." The air should be cleared before anyone gets any further misconceptions. Do not get this game expecting anything Vicky-like at all.

It's not even as robust as Stellaris' population system, really.

I was honestly really confused when Johan got on stage and one of the first things he said about the game was "It has POPs!" Like... I guess? But it's been clear from the start that it won't be in the way any person who would appreciate that statement wants.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 23, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Randarkman posted:

For the streamers most of their viewers aren't really gonna know how to pronounce this stuff either (though I bet there's a lot of assholes who think they do, probably based on having played Rome Total War 1 about 15 years ago, and don't know that they're also getting it wrong), so it's kind of ridiculous to go about apologizing for pronouncing stuff wrong. Seriously either just pronounce it as its written and looks to you and don't worry too much about it, or if you do, look up a couple of them and take a guess.

Based on what some here are saying I'm guessing that alot of people who watch streams probably just enjoy watching their English/American apologize for not being able to pronounce poo poo right, then arguing in chat over who is most correct (likely with all being incorrect).

The thing is, you're not going to know how to pronounce everything correctly. That's basically impossible and unreasonable to expect. Yet a large number of idiots in your stream chat will get on your case and yell at you for getting pronunciations wrong, so what's a streamer to do other than say sorry, but I just don't know how to pronounce this poo poo and I can't stop to research every single represented country and language for my dumb video game stream.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

Y’all got some weird FOMO issues if you are now refusing to play rome (the state) until some dlc comes out for it.

Just play it if you were wanting to , have fun, and play it again when that dlc drops in 3-6 months instead of chasing the ~optimal~ experience. It’s a video game chill out

The co-consulship feature is going to be a free feature in the first major patch, which will presumably be releasing much sooner than 3-6 months. I was actually going to start off with Rome since it seems like a nice and relaxing way to ease yourself into the game, but I don't mind waiting a few weeks if that's how long it'll take.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dwesa posted:

What? How? That's like living fossil. Is that based on history?

Probably means Knossos. It's a city state built on the site of the Minoan capital, but there's no tangible connection between that state and the ancient Minoan civilization. The Greeks invaded Crete and sacked the city of Knossos around a thousand years before the start of Imperator.

ManyATrueNerd made some pre-release videos featuring Knossos and tried to claim that he was resurrecting the Minoan civilization but even he admitted it was a tenuous link at best.

(edit: forgot a very important word before "tangible")

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 23, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drone posted:

I assume there's an (inevitably bad) tutorial, right?

Correct. The tutorial apparently goes through many (but not all) of the basic game features, and then allows the player to continue their campaign at the end, similar to HoI4 iirc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

yeah i'm not impressed with gmg, i didn't get screwed on check out like you did but they don't give you the code so that you can preload it on steam, instead you have to just wait around and keep checking back until they send it to you

There is no preload.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

For comparison, here's EU4:

It's still kind of the same thing, but the counters are small enough that they don't overlap.

The lock icon is also in a much better place in EU4. Sometimes in Imperator you have to do some weird camera bullshit just to see the dumb movement lock icon because they put it in a place that's commonly overlapped by other army banners.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, random question. What the heck do you do with religious power? I have a lot of it, and I dunno what it's really for.

Also, how bad is civil war, exactly? I got a couple idiots who raised 20,000 troops who are looking to start a war. If the civil war fires, will they get any more support of any kind? I'm wondering if it's okay to just let it fire then execute the instigators, or if I should avoid it at all costs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, but I'm at +2 stability and still got 1000 religious power. Is conversions, stability, and omens it? I'm swimming in this stuff here.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zotix posted:

So I get that the different population types do different things, like Slaves for taxes, and citizens for research. Are there any penalties for stacking a province with slaves to boost taxes? I get that you want to do this to some extent, but can you make a province entirely slaves? and if so, will it directly cause problems?

I think you can get slave revolts if there's a disproportionate amount of slaves. I dunno the exact breakpoints for this though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not cool that the AI will randomly dishonor calls to arms when the tooltip says they will accept. Like, really not cool. The tooltip should be absolute.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sydin posted:

So is there a way to get senate votes? I'm wracking up a ton of tyranny because they're milquetoast on everything I want to do and I seriously only need like 5-10 more votes on average.

Click the thumbs up icon under a faction in the government screen to give them more seats at the cost of tyranny. Using tyranny once to secure senate support is preferable to using tyranny every time you want to do something. Pick the faction most likely to support you (oftentimes, the faction your consul belongs to).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Taear posted:

The tooltips in the game are loving bizzare. It tells you you're likely to lose sometimes even when you have 40k troops and they have 4k because "the terrain favours them" and all sorts of things.

The CTA tooltips are weird because it doesn't tell you what factors influence the defender's allies accepting or not accepting like it did in EU4. I don't know why that information is withheld. But it's also frequently wrong. I declared a war just now in Britain with two allies who said they'd accept and the enemy having four allies it said would accept. One of my enemy's allies was in a war on my side already. Predictably, that one did not join in the war despite the game saying they would. But what I did not expect was my two allies ditching me, even though it said they would join with a lot of room to spare in the acceptance modifiers. They were also fighting wars at the time, but it didn't mention any negative acceptance modifiers for being at war in the tooltip. So I suspect that there are simply hidden modifiers that affect the decision making that aren't shown in the tooltip that purports to show all the reasons. This is probably a bug.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 27, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is it better to pick a tactic that plays to your strengths or pick one that counters the enemy?

There is no such thing as a tactic that only plays to your strengths. The bonuses you see are simply bonuses to the countering ability of the tactic. Which means you should pick a tactic that counters the enemy every time. Tactics that don't counter the enemy's tactic do nothing, aside from the two-sided casualty modifier which is sometimes important if you want to win battles while preserving manpower.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 27, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eimi posted:

Is that so? I noticed a very big difference between picking tactics, even when they did not counter anything. Even if they're evenly matched there's a huge difference between one that my army could use at 80% efficiency vs 10%

I'm pretty sure, yes. This may have just been dice roll variance you were seeing. From what I can tell, tactics ultimately modify combat in only two ways: casualty totals as dictated by the casualty modifier (like shock's "both sides take 10% more damage"), and the bonus for having a tactic advantage. The game does not describe any other way in which tactics affect combat. Neither does the wiki. And from my testing, this has generally held true. If tactics do affect combat in other ways, then it's being obfuscated from the player for some bizarre reason.

The efficiency rating is a measure of how much of the tactic advantage bonus you receive. The efficiency bonus is dictated by the effectiveness ratings for each unit type. So if your army is on Skirmishing and it's composed of half archers (50% with skirmishing) and half light infantry (100%), that averages out to 75%. And the combat bonuses are +20% against bottleneck and cavalry skirmish, which means you'll have a total 15% bonus of... something (damage dealt I think) against those two tactics. That tactic also reduces all casualties received on both sides by 25%. From what I can tell, it does literally nothing else. The wrong-tactic penalty is always 10%, no matter what your tactic efficiency is. Which means you should always try to pick a countering tactic, even if it's only barely effective.

If it does do something else, I'd like to know what and how, specifically.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 27, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

I know they said that people didn't want to deal with how many offices the Roman Republic actually had but I think if they are going to penalize us for having unemployed nobles they should just give us all those do nothing make work jobs. Inspector for monuments or whatever. The issue isn't the money they take it's the boring micro management assigning all that horse poo poo.

My suggestion: Add a generic character interaction that gives a character 1% of your national income (the scorned family breakpoint) and a randomly assigned position that does nothing. When you hover over the character, it says "Currently holds low office: Monument Inspector" or something to make it clear their office isn't important. This way, you're given a reasonable way to get rid of the scorned families, it's not too micro intensive, you don't actually have to worry about what the little make-work jobs do, and it pokes fun at the idiotic bureaucracy of the time, adding more flavor. People in low office should still aspire for positions in high office.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 27, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You generally want markets in every high-pop city. They also increase civilian and freeman output by way of civilization.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I feel like, even though it's just out of scope, the game should be able to handle Alexander's conquests.

That would be my design target: make that work. Which I think means conquest should be even easier?

Blobs are definitely far too stable, though. The Maurya in particular are absurdly resilient, which I think is a consequence of culture penalties being almost the only serious source of interior frictions and their culture group covering the entirety of northern India.

You say "make that work," but it's not like Alexander's conquests actually worked in real life, either. His empire almost immediately fell apart. So it should work how? In that it's technically possible to do, but is a tremendously bad idea that is doomed to end in a game over? But then... why?

The design target being Rome's conquests seems much saner to me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it fell apart because Alexander made literally no attempt to keep it together.

Alexander fell apart for the same reason a lot of kingdoms fell apart. No succession plan leads to civil war. It’s not special.

My point was more that no rapidly conquered empire has ever stood long. It's possible that Alexander's empire's downfall would've been less sudden if his child was older, but he wasn't. And so my point is basically that if such a feat has never been successful in history, then the developers' time is better spent designing towards more realistic goals that don't also come with huge gameplay/balancing complications.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zotix posted:

I just don't understand populations in cities at all. Like I get what they each do, but am I trying to specialize a city as best as I can? Like do I want all slaves in one city, and all citizens in another? If that is the case, is there a way to see if a city is better suited to making it a research city, or a tax city?

In general, specializing individual cities isn't too terribly important. It's technically optimal to have all your freemen in cities with the manpower buildings. But honestly? I always end up with loads of manpower without ever specializing or focusing on it anyway, so I don't really see the need. Citizens and tribesmen have no city-specific modifiers, as far as I know. (edit: actually, capital cities have happiness bonuses which directly affects output, so stacking your capital sounds appealing, but keep in mind that more pops = higher growth penalty. and if the growth penalties outweigh the positive modifiers, your city starts starving)

When promoting pops, however, you do want to pay attention to provincial modifiers and stack certain pop types in provinces with modifiers that benefit those pops. In provinces where you have or are importing precious metals, dyes, and/or papyrus, for instance, promote almost all of your tribesmen and freemen to citizens. Also do this in your capital, and then try to get those resources there too (due to the happiness bonus stated above). And don't promote above freemen in provinces with good freemen modifiers. Same with tribesmen in provinces with good tribesmen modifiers. (it may be theoretically optimal to promote those tribesmen eventually, but in practice you'll always have better pops to promote).

Everything I've said here doesn't really apply to slaves, however. You will want to move slaves around much more than any of the other pop types. The reason for this is not to maximize money output with markets, but instead to maximize the production of key resources. In your capital province, identify the resources that would give you the most beneficial capital surplus bonuses, then make sure you have 15 slaves each in the cities that produce those resources. That will give you extra copies of those resources and give you the capital bonus without trading for it. As you get more slaves, you can try to move them to resources the AI often wants like wine in order to get more commerce income. This is something you'll want to spend a lot of oratory power on in the early game, actually (or civic power? I forget). You tend to start out with your slaves scattered about, with 5 to 10 of them here and there. Reach that extra resource threshold in as many places as possible, and you'll get some nice capital bonuses and trade money out of it.

edit: The poster above basically said everything I just said in one sentence instead of three paragraphs. Go figure.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 28, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zotix posted:

Would I be correct in saying you almost never want to promote a slave? But if a pop is already a tribesman they are fine to upward promote as needed?

I would only promote slaves if I'm desperate for more citizens. Thing is, you can always promote, but you can never demote, so you should be careful about promoting away your source of income. Also, promoting slaves to citizens costs twice as much as promoting freemen to citizens. So do tribesmen, but tribesmen generally dislike living in civilized areas anyway, so I feel better about promoting those in places with lots of citizens.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Actually that makes me realize I have no idea what, if anything, affects the "likely to be next Consul" status. Is it basically just random or can you affect it somehow?

I once found a tooltip that explained this, but I forget where that was. I think on the character page itself? Prominence and popularity seem to be big factors iirc. I've been able to drop candidate support by smearing their reputation before. If you want to get a specific person elected, it's pretty easy if you make them a general and then hold lots of triumphs for them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Taear posted:

The AI just loving never accepts white peaces. It's really frustrating because sometimes a war can go on forever.

I'm also wound up by when you have an army selected it'll show a big box against your cursor (telling you about the province) until you unselect and it covers up loads of screen. God it's so annoying.

Paradox really needs to add back the "length of war" war enthusiasm modifier.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm able to forgive a lot of stuff in this game, but one system I absolutely hate is the tactics system. It's not strategic. It's just rock papers scissors guesswork. And it's very unclear to players how it works, considering the number of people i've seen confused thinking tactics give passive bonuses that don't actually exist. It's pure RPS, and it's garbage. The AI will switch tactics willy nilly and you just have to guess and hope you're right. It's basically RNG, except it's worse than dice rolls because it makes players feel bad about choosing the wrong choice. How is this fun? Why can't tactics just give passive always-on bonuses based on unit compositions and terrain (and possibly against other compositions?), with penalties or restrictions to changing them often? That way it would at least feel rewarding for building armies and using them correctly. Instead we just have to play bullshit guessing games.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 29, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's far and away to expensive (+50% maint is uhhh) for most tribals to even begin to consider

What else are you doing with your money? I did an Iceni start and was able to afford a decent sized army and still keep a positive balance.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sheep posted:

Diplomatic range and no difference as far as I can tell. There's like four separate ways to wind up at setting up trade routes for some reason.

Are tribes not able to buy points on the economy screen? That's the general money sink for republics and monarchies at least.

I mean, yes, but I'd rather use that money to build and support armies.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pleb tip: Dunno how common sense this is but it didn't strike me to do it for my first couple days playing. When aggressive expansion is a concern, before declaring war on someone make claims on their allies too. Or at least, do so on the best provinces. Unlike EU4, Imperator has no concept of co-belligerents/non-co-belligerents. The only thing that affects AE is claims, and claims affect it in a huge way. I dunno what the exact percent is, but you get at least half, maybe even only a quarter of the AE on land you have claims on. This goes for all war participants.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Another pleb tip: Frustrated by the senate? rear end in a top hat senators are denying your warmongering? Hold some games! You do this by going to the character interaction screen for your consul. Unless your consul is wildly unpopular (uncommon, since popularity's needed to be elected), holding games will frequently place your ruler over the 80 popularity threshold for acquiring more votes, which very often sways the senate in your favor. When available, this option is much better than swaying/overriding the senate with tyranny, since republics take a long time to burn off tyranny.

It's another simple tip that most people have probably figured out on their own, but I find it easy to forget about the different character interaction options available.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 29, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

New dev diary available detailing balance changes not coming in the next patch, but the patch after that (to be released in a couple months): https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-29th-april-2019.1172430/

quote:

Shattered Retreat
The action of voluntarily doing a shattered retreat was a bit over-powerful, in that while it was useful, it had almost no drawbacks. Now when you do a manual shattered retreat from the unit interface, that unit will also lose 50% of its remaining strength.
Huh. I dunno how to feel about this one. This makes excursions into enemy territory far riskier.

quote:

Governors
One thing that was completely missed when developing the game, was the aspect of having the governors attribute matter. This obviously needed to be changed, so now finesse skill of governors will impact the output of the cities they govern by 5% for each finesse.
Wait, so the finesse rating currently does nothing? Then what determines how quickly pops are converted/promoted/assimilated by provincial policies?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zane posted:

here's my epirus save 50 years into the game:

you can chew through greece and southern italy real quick. war exhaustion and aggression penalties are minor and the decay rate is fast. you can easily work around major power guarantees as well by dragging the guaranteed minor powers into third party conflicts.

the speed of this conquest might actually be somewhat historically plausible. but aggression penalties should probably be higher in at least the greek world to reflect the incessant greek concern with freedom and the balance of power.

Erm, is this being presented as an example of excessive growth? I see nothing wrong with this. 50 years is a long time, and I would honestly expect a player to be able to safely conquer most or all of greece and macedonia by this point (minus maybe phyrgia stuff, depending on how strong they are).

edit: I didn't mean this to be a dig or anything. I just don't necessarily see anything wrong with this level of conquest, in a game where you ought to be able to paint the entire map your color in 300 years or so.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 30, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

jfood posted:

what happens to inventions that don't get invented before you rank up a tech level? do they disappear forever? I was holding off taking the one for reduce claim costs, leveled up a rank, and it's not being applied to the diplomacy costs.

No, they go into a queue that's last in, first out. Basically, you have to discover new inventions to be able to access the older inventions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Another nice QoL mod: movable windows https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1724726340

A lot of the windows overlap by default, which has annoyed me at times.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Taear posted:

They definitely cost manpower to refill - so say they're 45k and I've nowhere they can stand without attrition (which when you're big is basically always) I'm always ticking down on it and can never build my own stuff.

I am reasonably sure that clan retinues do not replenish using your manpower. This particular retinue has taken thousands of losses and replenished them all while I was low on manpower. And as you see in the screenshots above, they're suffering attrition but it's not being counted in the manpower tooltip. When you hover over one of the units in the army, it states that "They [the clan leader] will take care of reinforcement and cover some of the maintenance costs." Of course, this is clearly inaccurate since they cover ALL of the maintenance costs, but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to be paying manpower to reinforce them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Einbauschrank posted:

I can't find the number of unassimilated pops in a province/region. The game shows me how many pops a governor has assimilated over his lifetime (no idea if that's a brag number or if experience makes him better at his job). Or is there a way to mass assimilate ("massimilate") pops? I don't want to trigger the arthritis event on myself.

If you go to the culture mapmode, you can see how many pops of each culture are in a province by hovering over it with your cursor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chalks posted:

This is my experience also, the clan retinues do not draw from my manpower pool. As long as my own troops are 100% strength, manpower is unaffected no matter how much reinforcement the retinues are doing.

I often withdraw my own troops to avoid losing too much manpower as the war goes on, assuming I have strong enough retinues to mop up and siege.

Only issue is that retinues cannot reinforce in enemy territory (not even when occupied). I've had retinues attrit down far enough to stall sieges before they can finish, then you have to retreat them way back to your own territory for several months. I suppose that's the balancing factor: free armies that don't tax your manpower, but you can only operate in enemy territory for so long with them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zotix posted:

I'm losing population is one of my cities, and when I hover over the bar in red one of the lines says City Population -0.35%. So how do I remedy that?

Every pop passively adds negative growth modifiers. If the combined modifiers go below 0, the city starts starving. So essentially, the "limit" is organic and depends on how much pop growth you have in that city. Other factors such as looting can negatively affect pop growth and cause starvation as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eimi posted:

Moving slaves should be cheaper than moving citizens or freeman. You end up with so many and well...being able to forcibly tell them where to live fits with them being slaves.

It is. You can get further discounts too. It's not too hard to reduce the cost to something like 3 civic power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sydin posted:

5 civic power a slave really adds up when:

a) you've got 80 goddamn slaves in your capital
b) you can only move them to close by cities, which means if you actually want to spread them to a farther province you have to move one slave 2, 3, or even 4 times to get them to where you need them.

Either make it a gold cost, or allow me to move pops anywhere I want instead of only close by.

They should make it so you can move pops anywhere, but do it so moving pops outside the same province costs double. And maybe even triple when outside the same region if they're that concerned about balancing power costs, though for this I don't think they should be. Doing it that way would at least save us some clicks.

The menu interface as a whole could be a lot better. Let us move multiple pops at once.