Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Farecoal posted:

Didn't Paradox say they weren't going to expand the timeline with DLC?

Yup.

Limited gameplay once you conquer the map, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ugh. I knew I should have gone with my gut and just ordered it off Steam. :smith:

Ordered one copy of the deluxe edition of Green Man Games. Everything looked fine checking out, and then the confirmation email/screen looked like this:

My credit card only shows 1 charge of (what should be correct) $41.24, but now I'm all anxious and irritated. Submitted a support ticket and am ready to contest the charge with my credit card company if they give me poo poo. :(

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I can't really get a good handle on the game because it does run awful slow for me. I seem to have the lag/stutter issue. It's playable, but.... painful.

Some UI things are baffling as well, like no way to mass convert/migrate people? Or am I missing it. click-click-click-click-click

I don't like the gods up top either, for the different sub screens. It's cute, but I'd rather have clear icons for each category rather the guessing which god is which thing.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I think some of the confusion here is that your first line isn't, actually, the main battle line. That's the second. This dev diary may prove enlightening: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/development-diary-10th-of-december.1136021/

In any case, archers are kind of hilariously effective as a main combat troop- they gently caress up light infantry in particular, which you'll be seeing a lot of, and aren't particularly disadvantages against heavies. They're only really vulnerable to cavalry, and horses are pretty rare.

This is really weird and counter intuitive to me. I want my archers on the front line and my heavy infantry in the back? :confused:

The animal stances are a bit of a mystery too. I guess I just pick one with lots of green? I bounced back and forth with an enemy army a few times and they used a different animal every time even though their composition didn't change, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to guess and preempt them?

Thinking I'll go back to Stellaris because I haven't played with the new economy and let this one simmer until the big June patch.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sampatrick posted:

Does anyone else think culture conversions happen way too quickly? Areas like Bactria and Iraq becomes almost entirely Macedonian in like less than fifty years.

As much as I love Paradox games, the religious and cultural conversion systems in EUIV and Imperator are absolute steaming garbage. :colbert:

For the price of a couple hundred magic points in EUIV I was able to 'expel minority' all the Turks and Muslims in Istanbul to the Aleutian Isles, making it totally Russian Orthodox within a few years.

I feel like religious/cultural conversion should be largely out of the players direct control and set by high level policy. Set a religious policy for your minority religion and over generations make slow gradual progress. I suppose, if you spend a shitload of effort you should be able to slowly convert some of the local nobility to 'Your Culture' over a few generations. Then, when you lose control of the province those dudes flee or are killed by the locals and you have to start from scratch. If you conquer large swaths of wrong religion/wrong culture provinces you should expect them to present a challenge for the length of the game.

Of course, I'm a fun hating curmudgeon who thinks that making world conquest impossible should be a design goal for a game like EUIV.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

cheesetriangles posted:

Playing as Rome and got real sick of Phrygia and Egypt being allied and also protecting Macedon so I did was what was only natural. Built a giant navy and blocked the strait crossing and proceeded to absolutely trash their armies as I slowly let them trickle across into my waiting armies. I lost about 10k men they lost about 200k and I lost not a single battle.

Oh yeah, I've done this with Vijayanagar in EUIV. Kinda cheap, but fun. Let them march onto Ceylon, kill stack with your giant army hidden on the south end of the island. Hide army again and move fleet into port so their next army crosses over. Move fleet out and repeat as needed.

Welcome to Ceylon....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_fDwX1VVY

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\/\ Doh. Too slow.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So has anyone here or on the Paradox forums completed a world conquest yet?

Here's one on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Imperator/comments/bjb512/pax_aeterna_a_rome_one_tag_world_conquest/

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PederP posted:

However, it's much more "boardgamey" than EU4 and CK2, and much more tuned towards map-painting than playing tall and/or larping. If you like blobbing in EU4 you'll have good fun.

I have a theory that a Very Large number of Paradox players actually strongly prefer larping as a country to map painting, and that this is one reason Imperator has crap reviews.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PederP posted:

The inability to understand that a grand strategy game can be more than a puzzle and an optimization challenge to paint as much map as possible seems to be the very core of why many players (and apparently Paradox staff) are genuinely baffled by the poor reception.

Yeah, this sums up my feelings. The more a Paradox focuses in on blobbing and map painting, the less I seem to like it.

I mean, it's fine when it's one tool in my arsenal of ways of having fun with my SimCountry, but when it's all I've got? Meh. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

:lol:

I'll definitely take another look at the game once they fix the ui.