Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Family Values posted:

Correct, C in classical Latin is always a hard consonant. The process of turning it into a sibilant happened as Latin transitioned into the Romance languages. Also G is always a hard consonant. And Ph is the Latinization of Greek Φ, which in ancient Greek is an aspirated plosive, so it doesn't sound like F at all it sounds like a hard P with some air exhaled along with or right after it. So Phrygia is sort of like "Pehh-ree-gee-uh'. English doesn't have any aspirated plosives so this is an awkward thing to say for English speakers, and this rabbit hole is very deep and you may as well give up and pronounce it however sounds best because this isn't a linguistics class and we're never going to get anything truly authentic.

Just don't say Fergia, that's stupid.

I'm gonna keep calling it fridgia and you can't stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

PederP posted:

Because it is a surprisingly different game design than any PDX game since EU:3 and EU:Rome. As I've mentioned before it's a game focused on map-painting and "winning".

I haven’t played much IR because I keep getting CTDs every few minutes, but this is EU4, and EU4 is one of their most popular games. It doesn’t have the character-driven RPG elements of CK2, it’s purely about understanding and using the various resources and mechanics effectively to grow as big and powerful as possible.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 22, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Chalks posted:

EU4 has loads of variety in how you become big and powerful, that's the point. You start the game as a prince in the HRE, you start the game as a native american nation, you start the game as Ming, or as one of the Japanese states.... the gameplay mechanics you'll be interacting with are so extremely different. The variety of goals and routes to power in these starts is a huge part of the replayability of grand strategies. They're imbalanced, if you want a challenge you start as someone weak. That's the whole point.

Stellaris suffered similarly due to the balance of its starts. Fortunately it's a space 4x game so it can instead lean more heavily on that genre instead and the devs have been moving further in that direction with each patch. It forgoes starting variety in favour of exploration and adventure and a big bad end boss story line. It's fine, some people like it and some people don't - but Imperator is stuck as a grand strategy and it needs to play to the strengths of that genre.

How much of that variety was in the game at release though? Sure you could play as Native Americans or a Japanese Daimyo but wasn't most of the actual fun mechanics, content, and flavour for those nations added in DLC? I didn't start playing EU4 until a few DLCs in, so correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the game was very bare-bones outside of Europe at release. Even now a lot of tags still have the generic mission tree and generic regional NIs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Beta seems to have fixed the constant crashes I was getting so hooray I can finally finish the tutorial. I'm getting raided by pirates based in my own territory, is there any way to get rid of the pirate havens?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I’m playing my first real run of the game, on the current beta patch. It seems okay, some things the game doesn’t explain that you have to figure out yourself or google (eg the pirate thing I posted about before) but that’s par for the paradox course. There doesn’t seem to be much challenge though? I’m playing as Macedon (rated medium difficulty) and the entire game has felt like the late stages of EU4 where you just roll over everyone. Maybe I need to play an OPM or something but I feel like once I consolidate my starting area it’d be the same. Also most of the internal stuff like loyalty/pop management is pretty ignorable. I’ve had a couple of generals become disloyal and raise their own troops but they never did anything. I’ve barely touched pop management and mostly only built buildings in my capital plus a few forts and granaries here and there and it hasn’t stopped me making money hand over fist and having effectively infinite manpower. So far the entire game has been rolling over smaller nations until I can take on bigger ones (Thrace and Phrygia) who turned out to be paper tigers anyway. I haven’t had to play politics or form alliances at all, in fact I can’t now because the only comparable powers hate me. The only serious looking threat is Maurya but they’re still miles away and by the time I reach them I should be able to roll them, in fact I probably could already.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

ilitarist posted:

Well the nice thing about Paradox games is that you sort of have rubber-banding challenge, don't you? Most of the time I'm lazy and non-ambitious and therefore I need starts with a clear goal and challenge of just securing my survival. CK2 is good as this challenge is sort of constant, but even in EU4 you can have a long game where you won't be sure whether Ottomans/Ming/France won't suddenly decide to destroy you and succeed at it.

That's the thing though, there are no Ottomans/Ming/France. The entire map is minors that I can effortlessly stomp.

ilitarist posted:

And then the challenge is not even necessary. I often continue my games in a relaxed mode as an unbeatable superpower managing a slow inevitable expansion. Looking at my truce timers, managing conquered lands, making sure no other power grows great enough to rival me.

I have an embarrassing number of hours in EU4 with like 80% achievement completion, I've already done this dozens of times. I don't really need a new game where this phase is the entire game. My favourite part of EU4 was the system of shifting rivalries and alliances, and all the backstabbings and strange bedfellow situations it generated, and using it to my advantage to survive and grow. That seems entirely absent from IR.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 25, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Walh Hara posted:

Perhaps the game is indeed too easy for somebody with tons of eu iv experience, but you should probably try a more difficult nation than macedon before concluding the game is not challenging enough.

I mean it was rated medium and it was my first game outside of the tutorial so I was figuring a lot of stuff out as I went and doing a first impressions post but yeah that's a fair point. I'm sure there is more challenge there with a harder start, but I still look at the map and it looks like that shattered world mod for EU4 and I wonder how long any challenge can last once you get past the early survival/expansion phase when almost everyone is so tiny. Even the big successor states either imploded fairly early or just barely clung to their territory in my Macedon run. I'm sure that doesn't happen every time though so maybe I should try a smallish state somewhere in the East.

But rather than that EU4 Albania style of challenge where you're basically trying to escape the notice of the gigantic AI next door lest they crush you on a whim, I chose Macedon hoping for a game where other powers like Rome, Carthage, and the other Successor States would also be blobbing, and provide a decent challenge in the mid game once I'd spent the easier early game learning the ropes and beating up on smaller neighbours. They didn't though. Italy has remained divided, Carthage has expanded slightly, but not out of their starting areas, Phrygia ebbed and flowed a bit but didn't really expand much beyond their original borders before I ate them, Seleucids imploded spectacularly, and Maurya is huge but still miles away. Everywhere else is just tiny tribes. Some of them seem to be in decent-sized power blocs but everyone is willing to get fully annexed in separate peaces as soon as you capture all their territory, so it's really easy to just pick them apart by absorbing one at a time.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 25, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Tyranny and AE are also kind of like currencies as well

Yeah they're basically inverted currencies that tick down instead of up. If you're at 0 you're "capped" and wasting the passive tick-down just like if you were capped on MP in EU4 wasting your MP income

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

How are you supposed to get populist support to 80 to declare a dictatorship? The most I can get it to is the mid-60s then it keeps dropping back to around 50. I've had populist Censors with as much oratory as possible the whole time I've been trying, and have been empowering the other factions as often as I can afford to for the populist support boost, have instituted the laws that increase support, have endorsed them whenever they drop below 50, tried to keep them in power as much as possible, but I can't get anywhere. Populists are apparently gaining between 2 and 5 support each month (far more than any other party) but this doesn't seem to translate into more seats in the long term. idgi

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Democrazy posted:

Do I have to fear that they will break off from my polity?

Yes, once you get enough of them in your empire

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Gort posted:

Unless stuff like, "You got blown up by your regent with a giant manure bomb, now play your murderer" doesn't count as memorable for you somehow

Not when you've already seen that event a dozen times it's not. For me characters were memorable for my first couple of runs but eventually you just start seeing them as trait soup and the events start getting repetitive

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Got my first reasonably challenging achievement in IR tonight, No More Worlds to Conquer, as the Seleukids. I was hoping to get To the End of the World in the same run but I've only got 6.5 years left so that's not gonna happen. Would have definintely been doable if I'd been less lazy though. By the end I had basically infinite money and could have raised enough troops to fight in the East and West simultaneously but it would have been a lot of extra clicking to raise that much. Is there an army template feature I've missed somewhere?

Anyway the game is pretty fun now. Even though I took one of the big blobs at the start it was still challenging as I was fighting other big blobs in some pretty epic wars. Egypt especially was a tough nut to crack, they had a fuckton of units and were allied with Colchis and Thrace so every war with Egpyt was a war on two other fronts as well. They also kept declaring while I was fighting Phyrgia. Twice I had to cut wars with Phyrgia short in order to defend against Egypt and friends, and just when I was starting to push into their territory, Maurya would declare as well, so I'd have to cut the Egypt wars short and run off to defend in the East. Unit automation was invaluable in the late game because I was frequently fighting in multiple theatres and the tiny provinces means you've got millions of stacks running around everywhere and it just gets unmanageable to try and do manually. I wish I'd embraced the automation sooner. One thing I found kinda annoying was 100% warscore isn't much territory if it's heavily populated. It took four or five 100% war score wars just to take the parts of Egypt I needed for the achievement which got pretty miserable.

Sampatrick posted:

The one thing that still gets me is that most of Egypt and most of Mesopotamia is Macedonian and it's not even 100 years into the game. I really hope Paradox can figure out a way to slow down assimilation because it's still happening at insane speeds.

If it was any slower it would make expanding into wrong culture group territory barely worth it, as soon as you rack up a bit of AE it'll all secede and you'll have a massive war on your hands.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

That seems like desirable behavior to me. Conquering wrong culture group provinces shouldn't be essentially free and less stable empires makes for a more fun experience.

It's not "essentially free" now. Have you tried taking a big chunk of off-culture land at once? poo poo hits the fan in a big way if you take too much.

Personally I like being able to conquer land in the game about conquering land, sitting around forever waiting for pops to assimilate and AE to tick down sounds pretty boring. It feels about right to me as it is now

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 26, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jazerus posted:

cultures basically didn't shift very much during this period, mediterranean empires didn't enforce their own culture on their conquered territory

Sampatrick posted:

as we all know, the seleucid empire historically converted all of mesopotamia and iran to macedonian culture, as did the ptolemaic dynasty and phrygia. it is good game play when empires basically dont fall apart because multicultural empires rapidly transform into monocultural empires.

gameplay > realism

Assimilation is this game's coring from EU4.

also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_(cultural)

quote:

also kinda laughable to claim that making conquest more difficult to consolidate would make the game less fun. having to go to war multiple times would make the game better because you would no longer be able to quickly snow ball completely out of control the way you do now. making it so that large empires cant keep on snow balling and have to expand in different ways would also just kinda make the game more fun as you get 100+ years in. having a game about conquest where the only wars that matter are like your first three and the rest is just snowballing out of control is bad gameplay.

Wow you're kinda rude. Sorry for having a different opinion on what constitutes fun gameplay. What "other ways" to expand are you suggesting anyway? And what's wrong with having other big blobs to provide challenge in the mid to late game instead of a harder speed limit on expansion?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 27, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

ilitarist posted:

Perhaps that culture thing would work better if pops had, so to say, original and "tolerated" culture or something. E.g. those Greeks you conquer as rome gradually become labeled "Roman Greeks" and for mosrt intents are considered Roman (maybe not as good at providing manpower or something). But if they were reconquered by any Greek power or rebel they are as Greek as any Greeks. Probably slowly lose Romanness on their own. What do you think of this idea?

This wouldn't make much sense with religion so maybe those poos should instead eventually get something like "integrated" status, and you get this faster with right policy or if culture or religion was right in the first place.

This is basically what EU4 does with accepted cultures and I'd be on board with that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

If they made it more interesting I'd be fine with that, but simply slowing down assimilation in its current implementation just means waiting longer before you conquer more off-culture land. That's not a fun and interesting challenge in maintaining a stable empire, it's boring waiting around.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

Romanization didn't happen the way you seem to think it did. It wasn't an automatic process, it was the result of active colonization and settling of Romans within the provinces.

I don't know what I seem to think to you, but isn't that what setting the policy is supposed to represent? It's not automatic now, you have to set the policy and there's an opportunity cost that comes with that - not choosing another policy that would make the territory more productive.

quote:

It also didn't result in people becoming Roman, it resulted in people becoming Roman influenced. I've been saying for a while now that what Imperator needs is dynamic transitionary cultures. Assimilation would also be better if there was an active component to it ie it was done by founding cities/colonies that would gradually influence nearby settlements toward a syncretic culture. Do you see how this would be a more engaging gameplay experience than the current one?

Again, isn't that what the mechanic is supposed to represent? "100% Roman" doesn't necessarily mean some Scottish tribesman is suddenly and literally assimilated to be indistinguishable from someone born in Rome, it's an abstraction to represent that the locals are becoming accustomed to Roman rule and the changes to their day to day life that it brings, and not actively rebelling as soon as Rome becomes a little overstretched. It could certainly be improved to be a bit more interesting than setting a policy or spamming theaters though.

quote:

Client states, feudatories, other vassals. There's a complex subject system in Imperator that you should be incentivized to use when expanding into wrong culture group areas.

In my experience diplomacy is worthless outside of the early game because as soon as you have any AE at all nobody wants to peacefully integrate. Now I'm not saying that's good design but if you slow cultural assimilation down then it'd need to be balanced by making the AI more amenable to diplomatic integration. There's still the option of forced subjugation of course (I'm assuming that's in Imperator but honestly I haven't looked) but I'm not convinced invade->force vassalisation->manage pissed off vassal is that much different (outside of flavour) than invade->annex->manage pissed off pops.

quote:

The AI is just always going to be worse at expanding compared to a player and so once you have snowballed up to a certain size it's pretty trivial to go ahead and outpace all of the AI countries. This is especially clear if you are playing a tribal or expanding into tribal regions. You just get big much faster than the AI feasibly can and so the only real blobs that are possibly threatening are like Maurya, the Seleucids, and Phrygia and that's only because they start off so large.

Well sure if you start out in Britain or something yeah but there's tons and tons of minors close to majors so it's that Paradox map game thing where you set your own difficulty based on who you pick. Start closer to a big power and see if you can get strong enough to fight them before they eat you.

I get the sense that we're talking past each other a little. My initial read was that you were saying cultural assimilation should just be scrapped or way slower and nothing else changed. Which sucks if you like expanding aggressively and not being railroaded into always taking the same territory first. But what I think you're actually saying is that it should be slowed but other ways to expand be made better at the same time. Which is cool, I never meant otherwise. I wouldn't mind waiting longer for off-culture pops to chill before starting my next war if there was anything else to do in the game than fighting wars.

e:

So yeah, basically this:

Mantis42 posted:

Yea but ideally gameplay should immerse you in the game's theme. Managing the contradictions of a large, multicultural empire was a big part of Roman and Ancient history.

I never meant that this stuff couldn't be better represented in the game, I was just looking at it from how it would affect the rate of expansion vs waiting around for a clock to tick down before you're allowed to conquer again if you just nerfed cultural assimilation. If there was more to do during peacetime and better alternatives to annexation that would be okay.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 27, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Obviously world conquests are possible since people have the achievement but I don’t understand how you can conquer the map quickly enough without exploding due to all the off-culture pops and AE you’d have to accumulate

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah I'm on board with that too. I remember playing warcraft back in the day and kid me being really disappointed when he discovered he couldn't beat the AI with his genius strat of "camp their gold mine" - turns out they get infinite gold and you can kill all the peons you like, they'll keep building more purely to give the illusion the ai actually needs them and also continue to spam units at your base.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I think I just unintentionally found an exploit

25% pop cap and 40% slave output in a city seems pretty good and a little extra food doesn't hurt.

I was putting buildings down in the province and forgot that I'd already started building a city in one of the territories. The city finished just before the slave estate and didn't cancel the build order.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Anyway, now I think I'd try an England game - what's the best nation to pick there? I'm guessing somebody near the coast or some kind of bottleneck so you don't have to worry being attacked from all directions like it happens with the Arverni...

I went with the guys in Cornwall, they worked well enough. Trouble with England is it's so far from any powers that once you're the local hegemon there's no-one to challenge you nearby, and everywhere outside of the isles is foreign culture so you can't quickly conquer to fight someone interesting, you just get bogged down assimilating Gauls. It's fun up til that point though

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Yeah we have basically no idea how it will all turn out, it's way too early to start crying foul. Also,

I believe that's a typo and elephants WILL require more food than they can carry, so Hannibal crossing all of spain with his elephants will probably require an ungodly amount of food and supply trains (or conquering some stepstones along the way in order to resupply), and I doubt armies will be able to just march on for a long time with their "base" amount of food especially if some unit types, the best ones like elephants, HI and HC, will require lots more of it.

My Iceni game is going pretty well

But now every other nation in the isles hates my guts so much that they're willing to not go to war with each other, they're all in a defensive league so if I want to keep conquering I'll have to go up against about 100k troops, and I'm too poor to field enough of my own (I can get around 50k total as you see in the screenshot without going into debt, and I'm already maximizing money gained in any way possible so I doubt I'll be able to double that), any tips on how to proceed? My own armies are composed of 4 HI / 4 Archers / 2 chariots each, and while better than the average tribal army, they can't really take on double the troops

You don’t need to actually fight the whole 100k at once. You should be able to roll over at least Wales before the rest of the guys in the north march down and combine forces, and I’ve found it really easy to separate peace people in this game once they’re fully occupied. Make sure you pick an easy wargoal and you can just peace out with whatever you’ve taken once the rest show up and join forces if they’re still too much for you at that point.

Also once you get to the west coast of Wales you can colonise Ireland if you still need more juice to take the rest of the north.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 9, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Eimi posted:

Formables in IR just change your name.

They also change your colour and give you a new government rank, some give you claims too

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Finnish Flasher posted:

Dumb question probably but is the game worth getting now that Cicero is out? I have a lot of hours on EU4 and CK2 and enjoy them both for what it's worth.

Is there any ETA on the next patch?

It’s still a little barebones and there are a few bugs, but I’ve been having fun with it having played a few campaigns now

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well that’s kind of annoying. I got all the conquering and colonising for Perfidious Albion done with a few years to spare, but turns out you also need to be a kingdom, which requires 50 civilisation in your capital. Not sure how that’s even possible before moon year 500 as a tribal considering that afaik there’s no way to get it that high without a few tech levels.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

mmkay posted:

Pravus uploaded a run on 1.2 a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNn7c31H7NjkB2mUn6iQ9Rk1MdzTxW0R9
In short, build a city in your capital and expand it like 5 times (this takes around 12 years total). Together with forming Prittania it should be enough.

Yeah I’ve been working on another attempt. This time I went with Iceni who start with a city and a 5% bonus to civilisation instead of Brigantia who I used last time. It’s actually pretty easy to get to 50 when you have a city from the start and use the urban planning button. Should get it wrapped up tonight after work

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I think your best bet in that situation is to just sit tight and wait for your AE to tick down, all your off-culture off-religion areas are gonna keep rebelling until it’s under control. Then convert them before you rack up too much more AE

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I’ve been working on another attempt. This time I went with Iceni who start with a city and a 5% bonus to civilisation instead of Brigantia who I used last time. It’s actually pretty easy to get to 50 when you have a city from the start and use the urban planning button. Should get it wrapped up tonight after work

Boom, finished with a little over 8 years on the clock. Fun achievement (once I read the requirements for Albion properly and planned accordingly) aside from the colonising phase at the end. I'd finished conquering and adopted aristocracy by like 485ish so the last few years was just waiting for cash to tick in so I could push a gang of slaves around Ireland and that poo poo was tedious.

Kind of funny that Paradox rated this achievement as harder than a world conquest, I still have no idea how you can possibly expand fast enough to conquer the map without getting bogged down fighting nonstop rebellions. Most of the map is off-culture even for the Greeks.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 13, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well this is rude

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Descar posted:

Whoever made it so that pillaging/razing settlements gives you aggressive expansion, should try to play a tribe a few turns.

In my game, it's the only way to progress in tech, but i only get between 1-2 tech points per sack. but 2 AE.
So that 100-200 AE for each tech as a tribe... way too much.
Getting techs as a tribe is too hard as it is anyway.

The way to get techs as a tribe is to stop being a tribe. Centralise, reform, build some cities and put libraries and academies in them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The way I see it, it’s not really an option so much as a different start, like how in early CK2 start dates in some parts of the map you can also start as a tribe and reform into a kingdom or republic.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 14, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I hated being stuck with gavelkind in ck2 and personally never saw it as a viable long term option for my play style. You could imprison and execute your poo poo sons but that was gamey as hell and not infallible. Not saying they weren’t actually playable though, so that’s a fair point.

To be fair there is the decentralisation law route for tribals in Imperator which I haven’t explored at all yet but it has some good morale and manpower boosts iirc. Not sure if that’s worth the trade offs or maybe it is a trap option. Also not sure if you could go with decentralisation and still build cities to get techs? Seems counterintuitive but maybe it works. Also have no idea what’s up with the migratory tribe mechanics, I haven’t tried them at all (only a few settled tribe runs where I centralised) so maybe they’re powerful somehow? Has anyone tried them out yet?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 14, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

haha gently caress, i just paid off some barbarians while at war so of course they immediately cross the border to enemy land i've occupied and start capping it off me and even besieging a fort i've occupied, and now i can't take it back or kill them because they're non-hostile :ughh:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I usually go with the old first month no-cb open. You’ll take a stab hit and some AE but with no disloyal provinces or characters at the game start it doesn’t really matter at all unless maybe if you’re the Seleucids or someone with lots of off culture/religion pops at the start. The AI hasn’t usually signed any alliances during the grace period in my experience so you can ally some other guys and immediately gangbang a juicy target to kickstart your run. After that then yeah war council or plan ahead and fabricate in advance.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 15, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

AE is the brake on your expansion, it definitely doesn't feel like an afterthought to me. High AE makes your off-culture pops super mad and generates unrest in their provinces, which in turn makes the provinces disloyal. Get too many disloyal provinces and you'll get a rebellion where all your disloyal provinces secede and declare war on you. Also restive pops are very difficult to assimilate, so you end up in a catch-22 where your pops are mad because they're not assimilated, and you can't assimilate them because they're mad. I have just found a button for assigning troops to provinces to reduce unrest which I missed earlier (like you my bad for not mousing over every single thing the tutorial doesn't explain (ie most things) or not reading dev diaries religiously) which I guess is supposed to be the counter to that so you can keep expanding - sink money into garrison troops to keep unrest down while you assimilate and continue to conquer, because even with appeasing stance on 24/7 it takes forever for AE to tick down.

For the record I was fine with monarch points too. EU4 had them and everyone seemed okay with it, I have no idea why they were such a big deal here. Was it CK2 players mad that EU4 mechanics were being used in Imperator when they wanted it to be CK3?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 15, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

I have just found a button for assigning troops to provinces to reduce unrest which I missed earlier (like you my bad for not mousing over every single thing the tutorial doesn't explain (ie most things) or not reading dev diaries religiously) which I guess is supposed to be the counter to that so you can keep expanding - sink money into garrison troops to keep unrest down while you assimilate and continue to conquer, because even with appeasing stance on 24/7 it takes forever for AE to tick down.

For anyone else who overlooked this, I've been playing with it a bit now and it's really strong. Seems very important if you want to expand quickly enough for some of the achievements. If it was anyone but Paradox I'd be amazed it wasn't in the tutorial.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Where is this button?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I managed it once somehow but every other time I hit that 75% wall too. It’s really frustrating putting so much effort and resources into trying to manipulate a number you have no direct control over and getting so close only to slide back to 50 or 60% over and over. I hope that gets tweaked at some point. They could just change the required populist support to 70 and you’d still have to put some effort in but it’d be actually reasonably doable

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

- Establish cities on farmland for higher pop capacity

Base terrain type isn’t the be-all end-all for pop cap, major rivers* give +50% for example, smaller rivers can give a bonus although not always (it’s pretty arbitrary, you can see in the pop cap tooltip), being coastal, having a port, and climate all affect it too.

*Tigris, Euphrates, Indus, Ganges, Nile, Rhine and the tiny one in Macedonia by Pella, I think that’s all of them. The Danube isn’t for some reason.

e: As for specialisation, I usually just stick libraries and academies in all my cities (once they're converted and assimilated, if not it's theatres and temples). I find that by the time I'm reasonably big and have cash to spare on buildings I'm rolling in cash and manpower anyway. Plus you get fucktons of slaves by conquering stuff

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Personally I rarely go with more than one in a province because I like to expand quickly and I have lots of other poo poo to spend PP on. I have no idea what's optimal though, maybe I'd be better off building more

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 21, 2019