Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1120662045173612544

https://twitter.com/Dragon_Maggot/status/1120662511240585216

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1120663751806603264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Paradox server must be getting hammered because I can't even log-into my account in-game.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Wait, HoI4 is on the upper end of the spectrum? I definitely remember launch CK2 and EU4 feeling like complete games, which is not an experience I had with HoI4 or Stellaris.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I loaded up an Egypt game because I wanted to go that route, and discovered I'd need to pay several thousand oratory and rack up tyranny to get my governors to stop trying to convert everyone into Hellenic Macedonians. At current oratory rate it's 8 months per governor policy and there's 11 of these governors trying to convert everything on campaign start. Is there a simpler/quicker way to get them to stop?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Zurakara posted:

So I'm about to start a LP for this game and since audience participation is a tradition in EU:Rome lp's I was wondering if anyone had any preferences for a country to play as. My initial thought is Heraclea Pontica, but if my fellow goons have any bright ideas I'll roll with it.

If you have the Phyrrus DLC then Epirus would be a good pick.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Davincie posted:

what do you mean you can't control the size of your armies? i always just recruit stacks of 15 or 20. they might have some attrition, but never that much that it kills you. i do build a lot of barracks and constantly run the manpower blessing though

Loyal troops can be a pain and sometimes they'll refuse to be split up or disbanded. Typically with armies I make a few stacks of 6. It lets me keep small units around, lets me manage attrition better, and for each fort level I know to just put one of those guys on it. I'll usually have a few light cavalry doing recon, light infantry for capturing and numbers inflation, and my main fighting force will be heavy infantry/archers. If I keep everyone near each other, they can join in the eventual dogpile without issue. Usually.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The mana in this drops so painfully slowly. Every time I get excited to do something the game goes "whoops, not so fast - time to sit here for two years first"

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've got a ton of issues with how mana works in this game, but some powers being expensive ways to do things instantly ain't among them. My biggest gripe is how poorly the small costs scale. I do a few expansion wars and Rome is starving? Why? Because all of the pops I captured as slaves go only to my capital. Nothing I can do about that. Can't even stop taking slaves. So I built granaries to boost the population that could be supported. Still not enough. So what can I do about the 110 slaves causing my 44 citizens to starve? The cost to move a slave was 4 civic, which on its own seems a small fee. But when looking at moving a whole bunch of people out of necessity it really sucks. Worst part is I was getting 4 civic a month, so I could do the math real easy on how much doing anything would delay my next invention.

I ended up ignoring it, which somehow didn't cause any issues. You'd think your capital city starving to death while slaves grossly outnumber citizens inside would cause some issues.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Dramicus posted:

You have to import grain, fish, or livestock to stop starvation. This was a historical problem for much of Rome's (the city) existence. Many of their conquests were for the purpose of securing grain imports to sustain the city.

Granaries don't produce food, they store and preserve them. So they help with pop growth (and soon pop cap), but not with starvation. Only extra sources of food will help that.

Good to know. I had province, capital and export surpluses for the three in Rome but I forgot to stack the province modifiers past +1.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Do none of y'all know what a larp is?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The save screen doesn't display the ironman icon, although it did the first few loads. Achievements have all become disabled. I am unable to use the console because I'm in ironman mode. IDGI.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Like one thing I've been mulling around, but I think would be interesting would be the rule that unless its your ruler leading an army, you can't directly lead a force (i.e tell it where and when to exactly move), you instead have to rely on others characters to meet objectives

This sounds cool but right now the AI is super frustrating due to the decisions it makes. It constantly abandons sieges and I've seen a force of 64k refuse to engage a group of 90 total.The naval AI also ain't great. I can put it on independent operations and it won't ever leave port. The ships also won't pick up multiple units at once and will merge if they're on the same mission (which I don't want). As a result it is extremely fiddly and you basically need to remove AI control to guarantee they won't abandon sieges left and right.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 12, 2019

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Roads rule but building roads sucks. Especially since I want to make sure every city has a road to every other city it touches. Real easy to miss a few in dense areas. I can understand why they don't allow the AI to autobuild things that cost power though. Maybe an option to have governors focus on roads? Or a way to select a province, see the total military cost and then decide if the AI being that thorough is worth the cost.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think several functions in the game could have their mana cost either changed our removed. Make roads require gold. Look into moving slaves use military power. Have the inventions use their respective mana instead of entirely civic. Setting up trade between provinces in your empire either doesn't require monarch points or gives tyranny for overriding whatever trade routes the governors set up. Things like that.

Also it'd be nice if there was some consistency to diplomacy costs. Some cost monarch points and others cost nothing. I can understand why improving relations costs oratory, but I can't understand how forming alliances and such doesn't in that same system.

E: as for religious, it's got two common uses and then the rest you spend on conversions because there's nothing else to do. It seems like you could get rid of it but it'd feel super wrong to not have religious power.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm glad Johan calmed down and listened to the constructive feedback. Considering his initial opinion on the game's quality that must have been difficult for him.