Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

The game is not and almost certainly will not ever be an alternative for CK2 fans, it's just not supposed to do the same thing. It draws the majority of its inspiration from EU4 and the characters are a supplement to this, not the main focus.

Yeah as a mainly EU4 player who never really got into CK2 I'm enjoying having characters matter a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
So I'm about to start a LP for this game and since audience participation is a tradition in EU:Rome lp's I was wondering if anyone had any preferences for a country to play as. My initial thought is Heraclea Pontica, but if my fellow goons have any bright ideas I'll roll with it.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

FYI as it may not be obvious:

You can change the laws of your nation on the Government Screen (there's a box at the top that says 'Laws). It costs Oratory Power to do so.

I think what laws you have depend on your government type (and maybe culture? idk)

I'm enjoying the game alot though. Had fun learning the game in a quick MP game as Bosporan Kingdom and just got smashed by Carthage after trying to create a Graeco-Iberia from the most western city state.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zurakara posted:

So I'm about to start a LP for this game and since audience participation is a tradition in EU:Rome lp's I was wondering if anyone had any preferences for a country to play as. My initial thought is Heraclea Pontica, but if my fellow goons have any bright ideas I'll roll with it.

The first LP has to be republican Crete. Goons will never forgive you anything else.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The first LP has to be republican Crete. Goons will never forgive you anything else.

I vote for the Plutocratic Crete nation. Mainly because that's where I started yesterday myself.

EDIT: Of course the work day is going about 1/10th the speed of a normal work day just because I want to go home and expand into Greece!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Way too many things need Civic Power when a poo poo ruler can gently caress you over bad re: power income, IMO.

EDIT: Also, turning into a Regional Power as Syracuse catapulted me to 3rd place, behind Maurya and Rome. Kinda hilarious; didn't know my people loved me that much.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Epirus was a lot harder than I expected, tried a couple of times but got crushed by big alliances. So now I am playing Macedon until I get more a hold of the game and the sailing is much smoother.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Greater Armenia Trip Report

Set to work converting the population to Zoroastrian by manually converting pops in major population centers, and setting the convert religion governor policy throughout my provinces.
Gobbled up smaller neighboring states and territories. Greek ports on the Caspian Sea, Caucasian Albania to the north east, the mountainous provinces and eventually the valley against the spine of the Caucuses to the north all eventually come under Armenian dominion.
Continue converting provinces. 80% Zoroastrian now.
Seleucids explode. Mesopotamian free for all. Parthia/Bactria no longer tributaries.
Armenian forces push into north west Iran, establish fortified region south of Lake Urmia. Armenian Army is 120,000 men strong, with 70,000 manpower in reserve out of a possible 270k.
Triple Succession - 3 rulers die within a short span of time leaving a lazy, indolent 18 year old ruler on the throne; unchecked unrest from decades of force converting provinces, corrupt governors, disloyal characters, and my pretender uncle with a stack of 34k troops.
Armenia explodes into civil war.
2/3 of troop stacks join the enemy, capital occupied, 2/3 of the country is raised against us.
2 Rulers and 60 years later the civil war from hell ends. We win. Forgive the troops and receive 45k manpower. Rebuild armies.
War against the tribes in the north pat the Caucuses; oh poo poo they actually have fat stacks; oh poo poo my dudes are suffering from some serious as poo poo attrition; oh poo poo my armies are losing, there goes 100k manpower; oh poo poo they're seigeing my poo poo.

Thus ends today's tale of Glorious Greater Armenia

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I can't really get a good handle on the game because it does run awful slow for me. I seem to have the lag/stutter issue. It's playable, but.... painful.

Some UI things are baffling as well, like no way to mass convert/migrate people? Or am I missing it. click-click-click-click-click

I don't like the gods up top either, for the different sub screens. It's cute, but I'd rather have clear icons for each category rather the guessing which god is which thing.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I think some of the confusion here is that your first line isn't, actually, the main battle line. That's the second. This dev diary may prove enlightening: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/development-diary-10th-of-december.1136021/

In any case, archers are kind of hilariously effective as a main combat troop- they gently caress up light infantry in particular, which you'll be seeing a lot of, and aren't particularly disadvantages against heavies. They're only really vulnerable to cavalry, and horses are pretty rare.

This is really weird and counter intuitive to me. I want my archers on the front line and my heavy infantry in the back? :confused:

The animal stances are a bit of a mystery too. I guess I just pick one with lots of green? I bounced back and forth with an enemy army a few times and they used a different animal every time even though their composition didn't change, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to guess and preempt them?

Thinking I'll go back to Stellaris because I haven't played with the new economy and let this one simmer until the big June patch.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Zurakara posted:

Do Judea, so that you can have the Peoples front of Judea, the Popular front of Judea and Judean Peoples front all squabbling

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I dunno man, it might be worth saving Crete for when this game gets a bit more content.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

There's also kind of an issue with contrast in the UI. Everything's kind of that soft white marble texture, so a lot of things just blend together at a glance.

Not much content to add other than I'm having the same issue. Hands down the most difficult to read Paradox UI I've had to contend with. Reading the odd looking font on the 90's website backgrounds is a bit too much.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thoughts on which military tradition tree to pursue as a barbarian?

https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Barbarian_traditions

Also, can you / how do you form a tribal federation(?)

And does someone have a good tl;dr explanation of what I should care about / do with tactics?
https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Land_warfare

(Is the right way to play really "Send in a 1 unit stack to see what tactic the enemy is using and then counter that"?)

also what is "unit effectiveness" -- and why does Skirmishing set archers to 50% unit effectiveness?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 26, 2019

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Playing a game of Epirus where all the Alexander successor states are in a state of perpetual 0 manpower so I’ve just been eating my way through the much larger Macedon. Doesn’t matter that them and their allies have 200 cohorts if they can’t actually reinforce them.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Wondering if it's even possible here to get vassals peacefully.

As Etruria I'm the same rank as Rome. Everyone is beneath me. Yet no one at all is even close to agreeing for any sort of relations. How can I get allies in this situation? I've even raised Carthago opinion hoping they propose some sort of defense from Rome but they don't care.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm probably going to hold off on glorious Sparta and just do an Egypt run to get more of a hold on things. Also I really want to see what some math nerd figures for how the army system works because beyond the obvious of HI, cav, and elephants being good it's a bit if a mystery.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I am not getting power point for matching ideas with my goverment in my latest game. Playing as a celtic settled tribe. I thought it was because I started out so small, but I have expanded enough to be a local power but still it gives me no monarch points (or whatever it is called in this game). The green checkbox is ticked and I am getting the +10% civilization level bonus. Anyone have any idea why?

Edit: Maybe I need to get to regional power? But then I will lose all my alliances :(

Hryme fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 26, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I never get to hire any troops because clan leaders do it and if I don't fire anything I can it gets to the point where I'm losing money because the clan chief armies are costing me so loving much.
Surely it shouldn't work that way!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hryme posted:

I am not getting power point for matching ideas with my goverment in my latest game. Playing as a celtic settled tribe. I thought it was because I started out so small, but I have expanded enough to be a local power but still it gives me no monarch points (or whatever it is called in this game). The green checkbox is ticked and I am getting the +10% civilization level bonus. Anyone have any idea why?

Edit: Maybe I need to get to regional power? But then I will lose all my alliances :(

No, you should be getting something. Try reloading the save, it worked for someone else's problem, might here too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the enemy isnt shy about ganging up on you, i was fighting an alliance of like 7 tribes with considerable manpower, when carthage and venice decided they also wanted a piece of me. of course that led to 2 mercenary generals rebelling....

well beat all of them except carthage so far though

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Davincie posted:

the enemy isnt shy about ganging up on you, i was fighting an alliance of like 7 tribes with considerable manpower, when carthage and venice decided they also wanted a piece of me. of course that led to 2 mercenary generals rebelling....

well beat all of them except carthage so far though

How? I find that I've got such high attrition (because I can't control the size of my armies myself) that I never get more manpower so once I start losing I'm done, I can't recover.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Zurakara posted:

If you have the Phyrrus DLC then Epirus would be a good pick.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zurakara posted:

Bosporan Kingdom is really cool because you get to show off civilising pops and conversions and colonisation without actually starting as a tribal, which is a totally different kind of game.

TTBF posted:

If you have the Phyrrus DLC then Epirus would be a good pick.

This is also a neat suggestion, the Epirus events are cool but unlike most other countries with unique events they're not OP from day 1.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 26, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Taear posted:

How? I find that I've got such high attrition (because I can't control the size of my armies myself) that I never get more manpower so once I start losing I'm done, I can't recover.

what do you mean you can't control the size of your armies? i always just recruit stacks of 15 or 20. they might have some attrition, but never that much that it kills you. i do build a lot of barracks and constantly run the manpower blessing though

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm playing as Rome, and about 30-35 years after the start I managed to annex all of central and southern italy except the very tip of the boot (still in Syracusan hands, but they're currently in a hellwar with Carthage so they'll be easy pickings shortly, if they even survive) and a decent chunk of the north.

It was quite explosive so now I must chill out to recover manpower and lose AE, and I have a ton of slaves and new cities full of tribesmen ... what should I do with them? Is it worth it to blanket convert/assimilate/promote them? What ratio of citizens to freemen to slaves should I go for? (it would seem tribesmen are not really worth keeping around as a republic, unless they serve some purpose in keeping unrest down in newly captured land?)

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

No, you should be getting something. Try reloading the save, it worked for someone else's problem, might here too.

Reloading or complete restart of the game didn't help. Guess I will shelve the game until a patch or two has been released.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

TorakFade posted:

I'm playing as Rome, and about 30-35 years after the start I managed to annex all of central and southern italy except the very tip of the boot (still in Syracusan hands, but they're currently in a hellwar with Carthage so they'll be easy pickings shortly, if they even survive) and a decent chunk of the north.

It was quite explosive so now I must chill out to recover manpower and lose AE, and I have a ton of slaves and new cities full of tribesmen ... what should I do with them? Is it worth it to blanket convert/assimilate/promote them? What ratio of citizens to freemen to slaves should I go for? (it would seem tribesmen are not really worth keeping around as a republic, unless they serve some purpose in keeping unrest down in newly captured land?)

You should always convert all your pops to same culture same religion non-tribals because they're both less likely to cause revolts and more productive; unless you're only dealing with a few stragglers in one province you probably want to do this through the governor policy function rather than doing promotions and conversions directly.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I just spent countless men sieging down forts that just teleported to different cities after they broke. Then I lost the civil war because my enemy took my real forts and I didn't have enough men left to fight them.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Around the Mediterranean in this period skirmishers would be deployed out front of the main troops as a screening force.

Yup skirmishers go in front to throw/shoot/sling some projectiles, after that welp run for your life I guess :shrug:
Can't have dirty peasants shooting are troops in the back. I don't think they really had the range to do anything else, or training to do the Total War accurate volley shot thing.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Wondering if it's even possible here to get vassals peacefully.

As Etruria I'm the same rank as Rome. Everyone is beneath me. Yet no one at all is even close to agreeing for any sort of relations. How can I get allies in this situation? I've even raised Carthago opinion hoping they propose some sort of defense from Rome but they don't care.

You can get a lesser ranking area to pledge as a client state to you by raising their opinion of you to 100. Then you get some of their income and you are allied in wars. After a while you can integrate them. It's pretty much the same system as in EU IV for vassals.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

You should always convert all your pops to same culture same religion non-tribals because they're both less likely to cause revolts and more productive; unless you're only dealing with a few stragglers in one province you probably want to do this through the governor policy function rather than doing promotions and conversions directly.

Thanks, figured as much. I still haven't properly checked out the mapmodes so I really have no idea how's the situation in the newly conquered lands :v: so use policy to culture convert, and power to promote pops, got it. If I even have wrong religion pops I'll just insta convert them because I have religious power piled sky high, stability seem to never come down on its own and I've been at 3 since forever.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wooper posted:

I just spent countless men sieging down forts that just teleported to different cities after they broke. Then I lost the civil war because my enemy took my real forts and I didn't have enough men left to fight them.

I like the game a lot but this here is just bullshit - the civil war faction should have that one capital and once it's gone, done. The teleporting is bad enough, but that they get a fort to boot is just garbage. Needs to be patched out.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Davincie posted:

what do you mean you can't control the size of your armies? i always just recruit stacks of 15 or 20. they might have some attrition, but never that much that it kills you. i do build a lot of barracks and constantly run the manpower blessing though

Loyal troops can be a pain and sometimes they'll refuse to be split up or disbanded. Typically with armies I make a few stacks of 6. It lets me keep small units around, lets me manage attrition better, and for each fort level I know to just put one of those guys on it. I'll usually have a few light cavalry doing recon, light infantry for capturing and numbers inflation, and my main fighting force will be heavy infantry/archers. If I keep everyone near each other, they can join in the eventual dogpile without issue. Usually.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Playing as Rome, my legions usually have 10-15 cohorts, except my First and Second legions, which have 20-25, and have both the most loyal and most competent generals in charge of them at all times. Makes it hard to deploy them, given the fairly low supply caps on provinces, but goddamn if I don't feel somewhat paranoid of civil war. Handling loyalty like this is kinda great, and really naturally makes you consider not doomstacking all the time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

TorakFade posted:

Thanks, figured as much. I still haven't properly checked out the mapmodes so I really have no idea how's the situation in the newly conquered lands :v: so use policy to culture convert, and power to promote pops, got it. If I even have wrong religion pops I'll just insta convert them because I have religious power piled sky high, stability seem to never come down on its own and I've been at 3 since forever.

There are governor policies for religious conversion and to promote pops away from being tribal as well. The latter is also useful as it speeds up civilisation gain, and civilisation is a huge buff to your non-tribal pops.

Johan is going HAM on the official forums and it's glorious

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i haven't had any problems with loyalty after the first civil war, which i brutally crushed after a long time cause theyre quite annoying, by getting a lot of the general loyalty researches. there's a bunch that give +0,02 and +0,01.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Davincie posted:

As a tribal nation each tribal chief hires a retinue. They're enormous when you're a major power.
So I've got a fuckload (and this is every time I play) of armies I can't fire/reduce in size.

I assume you're playing a "proper" country

THS
Sep 15, 2017

RabidWeasel posted:

Johan is going HAM on the official forums and it's glorious

link lol

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

New Syracuse game is going well.

AI is super easy to get things off on when they're distracted, normally once you get ticking warscore they'll happily give up land. Managed to get all of Sicily within one go without fighting any Carthaginians. Grabbed Corsica off of a landlocked Eturia and just finalised taking the rest of Sardinia from Carthage giving me access to the Iron I need to move on from Archers & Light Infantry. (No one would trade me Horses/Iron).

Next step is to try and form Magna Graecia but I need a bigger army to take down Rome. Need a decade or so to rebuild manpower and get a stronger economic base. Currently just pushing 2 x armies of 20 cohorts and a combined fleet of 30 ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

AI Dumnonia has unified England and about half of Scotland and Ulster, and is now the #1 power by the score chart.

Good for them, keep them foreigner Romans/Saxons/Angles/Jutes/Geats/Normans out!