Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have ASL Starter Kit #1 literally in the mail as of two hours ago and while I know there's a pretty huge wargaming scene within an hour of here (First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society) I'm suddenly full of trepidation about actually trying to play it with people instead of just soloing stuff in my garage. :ohdear:

Seriously, great thread so far though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I always said that if I ever end up playing WW2 I'd paint the nazis as Ultramarines. Gotta use all these decals for something.

My first reaction was "that's awesome and clever and I like it" and then I immediately realized that there are enough Space Marine fanboys out there that would totally miss the inherent satire and would think you were going for exactly the opposite effect.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

(based on reading the first page)

What you are telling me a game in which the good guys can be easily described as "Catholic space Nazis" attracts the fash like flies to poo poo? *Insert surprised Pikachu meme*

I don't know how on earth you're getting 'catholic space nazis" from the Tau but it's really a stretch.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

LordAba is no longer welcome in TG. I have told him not to post here. I have already requested a ban, and will continue to do so every time he posts. I don't have the power to do anything other than a sixer without admin approval.

Thank you. :cheers:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This is super fascinating. As someone who has been messing with ASL SK1 and really liking it since like....Friday, do you have any insight on MMP as a company? From what you've posted it sounds like a lot of the inaccuracies are based on what were contemporary views of the troops involved back when it was being written and not anything like MMP goose stepping around their offices or anything but I genuinely know nothing about them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Goddamn, seriously? I loving hate Curt Schilling and he keeps sticking his rear end into otherwise good things. I even enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur (when I got it for $1, because it was on a huge fire sale to claw back any kind of money, because Schilling basically defrauded the state of Rhode Island to get it made). Ugh.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think we need to agonize even a little bit over whether someone is explicitly a fascist. There's a point where we should stop giving people our patronage, and it's well short of SS tattoos. Schilling sounds like a real scumbag.

Yeah. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for used ASL stuff. It's not like it's even possible to buy the rulebook right now anyway :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Yeah for real. The milhist thread is great, the "here's exactly how the nazis were poo poo at everything, no really everything, you wouldn't fuckin believe it. Like each of their belt loops took longer to sew than a whole russian uniform and thre's 14 per pair of trousers and they somehow contain 27 ball bearings each and they didn't even hold the belt in place any more after 1940" starts within the first couple of pages and never stops for more than a couple of pages. But there's no need to duplicate it here.

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere but could someone link this?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I really wish I still believed that!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ilor posted:

You're a loving idiot. Your contention that everyone on Reddit is disingenuous because of how they use terminology in ways that you don't agree with is fundamentally false because it ascribes intent where none may exist.

See? That was an ad hominem and a strawman. Now you know!

(I don't really think you're an idiot, Slim, I'm just bored and poo poo-posting)

Yeesh you should’ve seen my face reading this Ilor, please don’t scare me like that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

With the updated rules, can I ask about the inverse of the OP? Are there any people (either in the industry or leaders of the fan community) that have proven themselves to be allies/good actors? I know that anyone held up as a positive example has a hell of chance to get milkshake duck'd but I'd find it interesting and it might add a little splash of optimism to what's obviously a pretty heavy thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FMguru posted:

Black Templars are easy to paint. Black, with some white details. Boom, done.

Back in January when I was dipping my toes back in GW stuff for the first time in ages I would go around my FLGS and ask people why they chose the faction/chapter they were playing, kind of to get a feel for the current state of the game, and this is almost verbatim what the Black Templars player told me. He said it took him something that seemed totally absurd, like 30 minutes total per model.