Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Ravenfood posted:

I need to get better at the billhook and poleaxe still. They seem great but I've been spoiled by the halberd's reach. Any tips for use for either?

I'm not the best with the poleaxe but I use the billhook almost exclusively. You'll want to treat it like a spear, it's got a powerful stab but it's barely better than the estoc for slashing. That's not to say you shouldn't swing with it, especially against lightly armored enemies, but stabbing people in the face is going to be what gets most of your kills. Also, use it in the alt-grip; that causes stabs to drag opponents closer to you rather than knocking them back and makes it easy to combo into accelerated stabs/swings that are hard to see coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I’ve started playing Bardiche as my go-to in Frontline and I’m noticing and appreciating just how many people don’t wear good armour, or leave their heads completely unarmoured :getin:

Sup bardiche bro. I've noticed that a lot of people skimp on leg armor (and occasionally try to hide it with a long skirt) and I never get tired of punishing them for it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I prefer Eager for my voice set. At maximum pitch the laughs sound absolutely pyschotic and "YER SWORD'S LOOKING A LITTLE SHORT SUH" is pretty great too.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

TorakFade posted:

I hope that works for thrown weapons too, I'd love to unhorse people by throwing javelins or axes at them, but even if it doesn't it seems it will finally be possible to stop even the best horselords if you put your mind to it

I so wanted to be able to kill charging horsemen by throwing frying pans at them but I tried last night and it doesn't seem to work. :(

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Horses are only dangerous if your team doesn't pay attention, because if even like five people have their headphones on and take a swing at them the horseman makes one pass at best before being dehorsed

unfortunately since no teams pay attention, horses are always at least a little dangerous

If anything, I think horses are little TOO easy to kill now. They're basically only good at ganking stragglers now because if your target has anyone next to him they can just scrape your knee with a dagger as you pass by and you're done.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Horselords delenda est :black101:

I mean don't get me wrong, I love singlehandedly shutting down the enemy team's cavalry force. :buddy:

timn posted:

Keep in mind that horses can capture points now, too. Horses are more of a specialty playstyle than a power up, which is the right place for them in this game. A horse lord's real utility is to act as highly mobile distraction and harassment. Think of it as a support role rather than direct offense.

I think this niche would be more fully realized if we got some more open-ended maps with non-linear objectives/capture points. The ability to quickly shift between attack and defense at different locations of the map would give them a really useful tactical role.

This is a great point, actually, and one that meshes well with my gameplay. I used to always play max armor builds, but lately I've fallen in love with all light armor and a halberd. I've gone from a slightly above average player at best to frequently ranking in the top 5 of my matches by doing hit and run/harassment strategies that only work with good mobility.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

have you seen my baby posted:

New balance patch seems good.

Is huge since it kills the braindead simple war axe eternal combo with bloodlust strategy

Thank god. I'm not huge on the Bloodlust hate but its interaction with that particular weapon was nuts.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't touched the messer, though. That weapon is flat out disgusting.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

GyverMac posted:

Thats why need a class with either an axe with the 50% dmg increase agaisnt structures, or a firepot handy. Firepots eat barricades for breakfast.

I made a fire mage character with a staff, two firepots, and a red robe/hat as a joke but it actually sees a lot of use when the barricades start coming up.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Captainicus posted:

Firepots are all well and good until you get engineers in small spaces like doorways with fireproof, smith, and heavy handaxe, and if they are real organized, smokepots :v:

I've done this, too. Back when you could still photobomb the character select screen on Crossroads I used an engineer with that exact loadout, including the smoke bomb, to block off the screen with barricades and fight off anyone who tried to stop me.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

it turns out if you do a kind of vertical accel where you look up as you begin your stab and then look at your opponent as the animation completes that a lot of people have trouble reading it

more so than if you were dragging or accelerating a swing, for example

This was a classic move for sword-of-war knights in Chiv, too. It almost feels like cheating when I do it with the Estoc since it has the longest stab release of any weapon.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Fred Dawes posted:

Heater + Messer has been my main since launch. I like to call it the Hot Mess. Firebomb optional.

Heater/Kite are still over powered, only differently now that their parry had a 50% longer duration, and their held block wins every stamina battle.

The 1h Messer has similar range and timing as the Longsword, but favors strikes over stabs. It's great for riposting through 1vX, which is easier with the Heater. It also has one of the best stamina drains in-game at 20.

Definitely recommend this build for new players and seasoned duelists alike. Armor / perks are whatever, but I like 2/3/1

Messer and buckler on a light armor character was the most successful build I ever played, messer and heater is probably just as good since it allows allows for full armor.

Seriously the messer is brokenly good.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Really excited about the bardiche buff today. It's pretty small overall, but the bardiche was always really close to being a good weapon and an extra 15cm of reach might be enough.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

School Nickname posted:

The bardiche buff is great, but I'll give the patch a wide berth till the friendly hitstop change is reversed. The sweatlords complain that 1vX is much harder, which is true, but the main issue is that I'm tk-ing at 10x the rate I used to now that I can cleave through everyrone.

Think of it as a buff to the Friendly perk. Not being able to goad unskilled opponents into eating their friend's maul swings for you is gonna suck though.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Is anyone else having an absolute bitch of a time after the latest update? The changes to parry timing and lunging mean that if you ever miss a swing or parry, it's almost impossible to recover from, and even with 120cm+ weapons I basically have to be standing on the enemies' toes or they just backpedal out of range for every single one of my swings.

I feel like this is starting to turn into Chiv where the only viable tactics are running in figure-eights with a Zweihander or spam-feinting with light thrusting weapons.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah I'm curious about Chiv 2. I love Mordhau in spite of its flaws and will keep playing it, but given how little the devs seem to care about not looking like chuds I don't plan on buying from them again.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

As someone who really liked the Deadliest Warrior show, I'm feeling really left out by never playing the game. :(

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah like initially I thought it was a bit odd to single out Mordhau so harshly for not having enough diversity because Chiv and a lot of other games don't let you change skin color at all, but then I thought more about the thought process that would go into wanting so many similar shades of pale skin available, along with the fact that the devs suggested adding female characters and noped right out when people asked why it wasn't happening, and the fact that the openly thought that the word "kniggas" was comedy gold when people used it on their official forums.

They just demonstrate a level of comfort with chuddy types that's really off putting, even aside from how commonly you see players spouting that crap in-game.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I do have to admit that making ridiculous looking characters (and photobombing the character select screen with them) is a huge part of why I still love this game.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Chiv 1 was far, far worse with the sweatlord poo poo than Mordhau and I don't understand why anyone could think otherwise. Teleporting man at arms with swords that could feint and reswing faster than the human response time, reverse overhead maul headshots, and lookdown overheads so steep that the weapon tracers start inside your character model weren't even advanced techniques in that game, they were basically entry level poo poo into anything beyond team objective.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah that's basically it. If your only interaction with the playerbase is directly though the game, then it isn't THAT toxic by online gaming standards, but the way the devs turn a blind eye to it all is pretty gross.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

mdct posted:

I'd honestly prefer a new thread entirely so I can fully unbookmark this one.

Yeah same. No reason to rewrite an existing thread, anyway.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Chiv 1 messer wasn't gross so much as the literal only thing keeping knights relevant.

Speaking of which, I don't have Epic so I don't know; how is the class balance in Chiv 2? People in this thread keep making GBS threads their pants about it and raving about how dead Mordhau is, but the slow clumsy knights with slow clumsy weapons that needed crazy drags just to survive and teleporting MMA's and stuff were core Chiv 1 mechanics and I don't think I could get into a game that didn't resolve that poo poo.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Well you dorks got me to break my promise of never using Epic Games Store.

Game's fun. I'm trying a footman out and I can't decide if I want to make it a woman for the novelty, or stick with the default male because his "whinge" emote and general attitude is really funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

mdct posted:

Javelineers are the only form of archer that aren't human scum, but they're still lower than dirt.

I really love that Chiv 2 still has an "attack archers" voice command, standing behind a group of friendly archers and raving about strangling them with their own bowstrings never gets old.

With that said, archers are cool and good and I enjoyed playing them from time to time in both Chiv and Mordhau. :colbert: