Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

extra stout posted:

You should add a cool banner or logo to your thread and have a mod change the name to something that people click on, probably name drop Chivalry 2 or whatever

This game comes out in like 14 hours folks, noon EST tomorrow

:agreed:

If I didn’t know what this was already I would assume it was some super grognardy poo poo that takes three years to learn and adheres strictly to some weirdos misunderstandings of history at the expense of anything fun.

I was super pumped when they first announced this game but I just have a weird feeling of unease about it. It’s like I had a vague memory that the devs did or said something that soured me but I honestly have no clue what it could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Orv posted:

Game good.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
^^^ see my description of horde mode below

My experience has been completing the tutorial after three baby interruptions then quick matching into horde mode which seems to be killing floor but with peasants instead of zombies. So I didn’t get a chance to do much but I did buy a shield while playing and could not tell the difference in terms of my defense. Is there a separate button to hold a block? Right click was still parry.

CuddleCryptid posted:

You know how you can pull thrown weapons out of corpses? Turns out you can do the same for living bodies, as long as it is your body.

What does this mean? Just that getting a spear through the chest, ripping it out of yourself, and then returning to sender is perfectly possible as long as the shaft is visible from the POV.

Lol hell yeah

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Ah it was definitely one of the smaller shields so I guess that was it. Thanks. Hoping to sneak some sword fights in tonight

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

We'll see more variety open up when you can start playing and earning money. The fact that the beta dorks are running out with zweihanders and the health gain on kill is cheesy as poo poo and it seems like the people who love this kind of game the most are determined to sink it asap.

This is always the case in high skill cap games that aren’t just FPS. People who are good seem to be on a mission to crush everyone else and ruin the game for everyone ensuring it dies before any kind of critical mass of people get into it. I don’t get it but there’s always people who just want to feel like the big man playing god mode or whatever. They did at least fix the stupid helicopter overhead smash moves and all that from chivalry right?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I’m talking about people going out of their way to murder everyone with the most noob stomping methods possible. Someone mentioned a zweihander with a heal on kill trait, I haven’t been able to play enough to see this action myself but if it’s particularly good at mowing down guys who can’t block it’s a good example. Instead of setting yourself up for the best peasant mulching when you find yourself in a match with guys who are clearly way beneath you maybe do something fun and creative for a challenge or look for guys who are actually good and seek them out for a better fight. If you ran around chivalry with max mouse sensitivity helicopter smashing people you’re not going to understand what anyone is talking about.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I am mad at everyone at all times but defending the poor oppressed good players is such a weird take to get from anything anyone has said.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I got to play for about twenty minutes and technical issues aside the game seems to be what everyone hoped it was. Game owns jump in and huck an axe at a nerd

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Nordick posted:

Funky thing is, it doesn't automatically populate the server list, you have to click on the refresh button first. And even still it gives no indication of activity, but it should plop up the list in a few seconds.

Yeah that was my experience too. You have to refresh when you open it up and it will take longer than you expect to show up. It works but sometimes by the time the list populates and you try to join the server will be full and you start over.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Is there a way to heal in frontline if you don’t have bandages? I ran around near spawn and found an ammo resupply box but nothing for healing.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Orv posted:

Just walk and don't do anything else for a few seconds.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The default health regeneration is actually crazy fast but it only kicks in if you don't sprint (or jump, or swing your weapon) for about 5 seconds. I spent a long time confused about this and thinking there was no way to heal because why would I ever not be sprinting ???

Thanks I was probably frantically sprinting all over looking for a medical tent or something the whole time so that makes sense. Also reading it this sounds very familiar so maybe they did mention it in the tutorial.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
How do you build ballista with the engineer? I could only figure out the little archer wall and spikes.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
In your player stats it tracks how many times you've yelled.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It was hit or miss with servers for me. One server was pretty consistently showing as the lowest ping frontline at 20-30 but I had 300+ once I actually joined. Others seemed better but I wouldn’t say any were really good. Smaller player numbers seems fine.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Stokes posted:

Of all the weapons, the one that gives me the most trouble to parry is the Executioner Sword. It has such an awkward swing timing.

Same here. For all the zweihander vs new players talk every time I have seen some shirtless guy murdering everyone it has been the executioners sword and they always get me because I parry too early. I try to seek those guys out and plant throwing axes in their back while they fight someone else whenever I can.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Kick them. That’s exactly what it is meant to be used for.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
They need to add more skin tones but also work on the color swatches for picking colors on skin/metal/whatever because the indistinguishable swatches of slightly silvery white do not represent what your chain mail looks like at all.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Do you have to stay through the end of the game to get any xp/gold? Kind of kills the jump in/out nature of log game modes.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
My favorite thing to do is get chumped over and over and over and super pissed off. It's the only thing I do.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Wheeee posted:

my favourite thing to do in multiplayer games is immediately disable communication with other players because i am a functional adult

To be fair to that guy those people he’s ignoring are gamers.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
The tiny baby man's sword, the rapier, is dumb and the weapon of fancy lad cowards. This delicate little thing should do no damage to armor.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
If you want to be the most annoying guy in the game make an all fire pot load out and find a team deathmatch server on that castle ruins map. Just keep doing laps to the ammo box in the middle.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I haven’t gotten a feel for fire pot damage because sometimes I will step in one and take like five damage and later I will try to run through one and die immediately. Not sure how it works but it doesn’t seem like it’s a flat damage per second.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I think they should just get rid of the blood lust perk. It’s not too super strong or anything but it encourages the dumb stuff like naked giant sword man windmill and doesn’t really add anything positive to the game.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

so just like every other online multiplayer game ever

The racist defender has logged on

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

I think calling the devs actual white supremacists because of this stuff is just really weird that's all

Yeah it would be weird if people had done that. Better defend famously normal and inclusive group “European historical gamers” just in case anyone does that.

TorakFade posted:

About the skin tone thing I agree there is a lack of sensitivity there, but we should try to understand. Eastern Europe (heck, Europe in general with the exception of the bigger countries like Germany, France and Spain) is 99% white and has been for its whole history, that does not excuse the lack of such a simple option in this day and age when you want to sell worldwide (especially in the USA) but I believe it is an honest oversight rather than malicious racism. People tend to get a bit too riled up about perceived racism/sexism imo (I remember this not being such a huge issue 10-15 years ago honestly, when videogame protagonist were all macho men with bulging muscles and womanizer attitudes... Again, not that we should go back to that, but Mordhau not having black people or women at launch is not the end of the world)

Normal thing to type up. Especially when what prompted it is basically “hey how come the skin tones are just slightly different shades of pale”. Let me tell you about how actually everyone in Europe has always been white, something absolutely no historian would ever say, and it’s important to maintain historical accuracy while my Viking fights this guy in full plate with a rapier. There’s no problem with white supremacy these days, especially not online, so nothing bad about doing this nope.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Orv posted:

Cease, play video game, have fun. Please.

Weird how this sentiment is always directed at people pointing out how deus vult cosplayers are lovely and ahistorical and not the racists themselves.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I found third person helps a lot with awareness and judging distance but I can’t parry for poo poo from that view.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Lmao you posted this in response to a guy saying he wanted to play with no racists holy gently caress

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Good changes so far. Eagerly awaiting the rage posts from people who accidentally declined the gold.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It’s hard to get a speeding horse guy because you have see him coming in time to wind up your swing. If you could just point your pole arm at him and let him get stuck on the spear they would be way less of an issue. Overall they are annoying but not a huge problem imo.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It’s nuts how the slightest pushback against bigotry in any form completely breaks the minds of gamers to the point they post a rag doll corpse saying “oh what about THIS I bet you’re mad about this” and they think they’ve owned those dreaded ess jay dubyas.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Diogines posted:

Why do so many dregs of humanity play this game? I can't go one game without at least one racist rear end in a top hat spamming their mouth diarrhea in chat, usually a swarm of them. As soon as one spouts up, a whole group of them joins in.

Hey goons if you saw this post and felt the need to rush in and disagree you’re at minimum complicit in the problem. There’s no need to rehash how actually historical accuracy shows us that *farrrrrrrrrrt*

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

drat I went to make an eveningstar build and this thing is expensive. I know it seems better than the war axe but is it 3 extra points better? drat

I’ve been wondering about this with a few of the more expensive weapons. They all seem to have very similar but cheaper counterparts. I barely have time to sneak games in so I can’t even remember which ones specifically let alone really try out the differences for myself.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

cerebral posted:

Agreed. I'm on the "Always Blue!" train, because I don't particularly care about winning, but goddamn do I get salty when I join a team with a bunch of archers and lute players not playing the points.

The lute thing was clever for about a day. It is still slightly amusing on duel servers, but it is absolutely just trolling on Frontline, and I throw a kick out to the backsides of every one I pass.

You suck nerd

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Jack the Lad posted:

I wouldn't mind lutes if there was a volume control for them in the settings.

Everyone plays the same few songs and they all sound bad.

e: Or even if the press K to mute thing worked for lutes, though that wouldn't be as good.

No

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Honestly 4 or 5 players who are even just decent with shield and shortspear can conquer frontlines vs. executioner swinging idiots

If you have four or five decent players you have already won frontline it doesn’t matter what they’re doing.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have been playing the beta and it’s good and cool. The “special attack” is like a really big wind up overhead with your axe that costs a ton of stamina not exactly a big deal.

If you are still playing mordhau in 2021 it’s probably still your jam but if you are a normal person check out chivalry 2.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Game good but the servers still need work. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell when I just suck and when packet loss made my block not work or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
So anyway like I said if you’re a psycho who still plays mordhau you probably won’t switch and maybe don’t say “spear chucker” either just some friendly advice.

These games have all had their player base drop off a cliff after the first month so I’m not exactly worried about the latest one not catering to existing hardcore sword fight game guys. Obviously the thing they like has not been grabbing a bigger audience. Changing the formula a bit to not let sweaty guys completely ruin everyone’s day and fix the server desync/packet loss and maybe we’ve got something.