Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Put me in the "I wonder if that game I backed is coming out soon-oh, it's out this week :stare:" club.

I hope big hammers along with sword n board are cool :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

I never checked, are javelins back in? Because that was the funnest poo poo in Chivalry. You could keep poking dudes from a real nice range, and if they annoy you just throw it right into their face.
:hai: I also hope they are back in style as an item stack, rather than singular spears that you can also happen to throw.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dogstile posted:

In terms of people being mad that their are people who are good crushing them. My response is "shoot them, maybe?".
I think I heard the chase mechanic includes "Are they holding a bow or thrown weapon? You run faster towards them" somewhere, and I'm hoping that's just hyperbole and not an actual thing.

At least a speed boost when chasing after cowards who turn their back and run feels good. I can't imagine feeling very proud of myself that I got a leg up against "Man holding still or slowly backpedaling". Particularly as now you can apparently parry arrows with your sword revengeance style.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

If you run away your attacker is faster I read somewhere which is a bummer.
Oh I'm perfectly fine with a catch up mechanic against people who are running away. I'm just curious if some"gently caress archers!" mentality has actually resulted in speed boosts against people who are merely holding a bow. Or if it's an exaggeration and chase mechanics are still just for when people turn tail and run.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

I asked on the reddit, I'll get us an answer soon enough. I can also test it later with a buddy when I get home if there's any doubt.
Fresh games do make for a lot of mysteries, even with a pre-launch build, yeah. I was garbage at archery itself in Chivalry so even if it WAS a thing, not like I'd see it put to use by enemy archers I was trying to shoot with archery. I did notice a dirt cheap hot archer on archer violence perk though :buddy:

I would be equally unsurprised if it was a real thing as I would be if it was not. Because while the Jacob's ladder maximim propeller blade limbo is gone, the Chivalry core fanbase probably isn't.

On a lighter note. While I've been sitting on it till the cash/exp deal has been sorted, I'm already very thankful to this thread for pointing out things the game doesn't.

Like how shields for sale just have "No stats for this" as their information. Rather than something as important as "Oh, you can't just BLOCK with those shields. You just get an extended parry!"

Maybe I'll look at the hobo dressup options in the meantime. I got excited my ancient alpha presets were fine, but actaually clicking on those and the alpha defaults got turbo hosed. "Peasant shirt and shorts. Peasant shirt and shorts. Reverted to a generic breasplate and shorts. Peasant shirt and generic greaves"

EDIT: Huh, literally everything in the gear section is locked :stare: (and they don't even list prices like they did last night. Just a level number and lock icon). Do they not even give you some default freebie weapons for custom loadouts? Or was the idea "Throw them some tutorial cash, that's worth five expensive weapons!" and that was thrown off kilter by the fact even the tutorial can end up not paying out?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 30, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Update on the gold/progression issue: they posted a status update 20 minutes ago. They've disabled unlocking equipment, and they may have found the problem and they're working at it right now. Also stated earlier, they are not resetting anyone and they're just going to give us a bunch of money.
Making up for lost cash is nice, but given the initial level gating on weapons seemingly for the sake of having it, I hope they are not trying to spin the lost experience as "We're not going to undo your hard work!" when there was a wide combination of people not having their effort count, or understandably waiting for them to get their poo poo together :v:

"Here, have a bag of gold. We good?"
"I'm still level 2"
"Look, it was paramount that we make the Blacksmith's hammer level 5 along with the Zweihander!"

Level 5 itself probably wouldn't take all that long unless there was some drastic inflation of experience per level, but think of the lost pants unlocking time!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 2, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Comrayn posted:

How do you build ballista with the engineer? I could only figure out the little archer wall and spikes.
If I remember right, because I didn't make one myself yet because dropping instant walls in front of a horse is funny. You need to be at full ammo to do it, and the toolbox starts at half ammo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Literal slowest weapon in the game at "Half the zweihander's speed". Only the length the shortsword I keep as a backup that probably has as much if not more kills.

But oh man, the feeling of splattering someone's head like a tin grapefruit makes the Maul worth it :allears: Figures I first got the Highlander cheevo with a blunt object.

Hitstop is a bit of a buzzkill though. Because despite it's glacial speeds and short length, people still somehow manage to wedge themselves in front of my overhands at the last second.

That's the big thing I'm jealous people just swinging boat paddles of death. Not the reach. Not the speed greater than glacial formation. The fact they get to windmill through their teammates and still kill something in the process.

Babe Magnet posted:

spend it on friendly so you only take 60% of your total match damage from your own teammates instead of 70%
Because I am a huge softy, I take friendly so I've only ended up obliterating two whole people who don't take warnings "This thing has 100/100/100/100 headshot damage" seriously and make it their life mission to test that claim.

I got the points to spare if I wanna move faster with the worlds slowest and shortest weapon. While legs seem to have near zero impact on your speed, a rank 2/3 helmet all by itself slows you down more than an al 1/1/1 outfit.

Perestroika posted:

I'm starting to really like the humble warhammer as a backup weapon. It's cheap as hell at just 2 points, but it's still capable of killing even max-armoured tin cans in just three hits (two if you hit the head). It's reasonably quick to swing and even has an alternate mode that offers a decent damage boost against people with light/no armour. Only downside is its short range, though usually when I'm using a class with several weapons I'm at medium/fast speed anyway.
I noticed the Warhammer alt mode stats against torso and legs is not worth it unless they are wearing a cloth T-shirts and shorts, because even flimsy rank 1 leather pants and vests cause a significant damage loss.

But headshots have crazy boosted damage across the board for the pointy end, according to the stat screen anyways. Heavy armor torso drops from 35 to 20. Heavy armor headshots raises from 50 to 70. And, against the rare "Not even a cloth hood or hat" fellow, claims to be 100 headshot damage :gibs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 3, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

Watching heads explode from maul smashes is a joy I didn't know I needed in my life.

Also, to an earlier discussion: if you check out the advanced stats for your weapons you'll see that the game sets maximum mouselook speed while swinging melee weapons, making Chivalry-style helicoptering impossible.
"gently caress archers? But you just sneak up on them with a big hammer and their head explodes!"

Seriously, I'm a filthy casual but going on a ninja murder spree with a giant hammer where you don't botch a single swing makes it all worth it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Bardiche is so good, but holy poo poo I keep getting way more kills with the peasant scythe. Even though the peasant scythe is "Bardiche: Except it stops dealing damage against tier 2 armor and can't thrust". (A closer look at the stats, and they seem to have identical speed/length numbers

I can only assume it is because nobody takes a peasant seriously, while the sight of a 1/1/1 lederhosen warrior puts people on their guard.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 6, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Goodplayer and community manager guy Jax talked a little bit on stream about hanging on to a fast weapon like a dagger to finish people off after getting a big-damage headshot or similar. Maybe worth carrying one around with big heavy weapons like waraxe/maul/exe sword since you can bring people to super low HP with just one hit and then potentially finish them off with a dagger poke.
Can confirm a 1 point shortsword becomes a close quarters blender even for my casual rear end when I'm bringing a bardiche (When I'm not shoehorning in the Arming Sword)

"Oh no, I'm indoors and seven people are here!... Why am I not dead yet? WHY AM I GETTING KILLS?"

That and the proud tradition of botching a headshot attempt for a heavy torso hit with the maul, and then tickling them to death with a baby sword after they turn around expecting a big slow boys brawl.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

I feel like when you get people running away from 1v1s because they have a maul and no armor and only engaging with their team when they can backstab people something should probably be done about it. Otherwise I pretty much recognize that all my other gripes are currently just a lack of my own ability.

Nice to know, I'll have to try and find a decent one in my region, it's always nice to have a regular set of people to duel against.
I'll have you know when I'm running around with a Maul and lederhosen it's so I can run TOWARDS the fights faster :colbert: and unlike people feeling nice and safe with their big helmets, a nice hat doesn't save me from being accidentally decapitated by helicopter blades aimed at my teammates.

Sure I try for comedy stealth kills too, but the glacial speed of the Maul combined with it's tiny range means My 1/1/1 self swinging barely wiffing constantly in a benny hill chase against armored targets if they are moving even vaguely 'away' even as they fight someone else :downs: Anyone I hit with a maul in the back of the head (That isn't an archer standing still) mid teamfight is someone I could have chain stabed with an arming sword much more easily.

Just another reason why I also bring an arming sword :pseudo: (And a fire pot I keep forgetting I have).

El Cid posted:

A friend and I had a lot of fun last night playing unarmored screaming peasants armed with 3 frying pans. (Two for throwin' one for bashin') There is nothing quite as satisfying as the "pong" of a frying pan connecting with a face. It was also surprisingly effective in team engagements because all you have to do is backpedal and parry the swarm of people thirsting for your naked peasant flesh as your teammates stab them to death from behind.
I've discovered Scythe + Pan is my "Oh they picked the giant snow map on TDM huh? gently caress it" build.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

Are there any decent new-person friendly builds or build advice? I liked early Chivalry way back but never played it too much, and I don't necessarily need something that will shred 1v1 but a way to contribute to existing fights like a spear or halberd seems useful.
2/1/1 armor at absolute minimum removes 99% of the instant kill risks. Though you'd be much safer with 2/2/1 minimum, as much because there are some weapons that go from real nasty to pool noodle once you go from rank 1 to rank 2.

The rank 2 helmet is because there are a bunch of weapons that can still instant kill you through "A nice hat", which is rank 1 armor.

Even if you are using a bigger weapon, 1 point for a short sword or 2 points for an Arming sword/axe whatever is a huge deal, and worth it's weight in perks/armor.

From there, whatever catches your fancy, or following advice from people who actually know what they are doing. But keeping an eye out for people who skip out on leg armor entirely can be a huge deal depending on your weapon. The peasant scythe deals more damage to bare legs than the Zweihander, even if it is reduced to "30 damage, on a headshot :saddowns:" with any real armor.

I now adore the sight of rapier wielders wearing full plate helmet and chests who decided "You know, nobody aims for legs. It's fine" :getin:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 7, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Woah, I expected the poleaxe's alt mode to change a lot more. It actually barely affects the weapon's damage against armor.
I guess the main reason to switch is just choosing between edged weapon passing through enemies vs blunt stopping on hit.

Yeah, unless it's already a loving huge weapon in the first place (or just long and fast enough to make up for it like staff), Blunt itself seems pretty :sigh: and the claimed gimmicks of "Better vs armor" and "The stamina drain matters!" feel very In Name Only.

The Warhammer in particular stands out. The only thing it has going for it, is that the pointy side deals high headshot damage vs armor :pseudo:

Meanwhile, It's blunt end deals worse damage to a chest covered in armor than the AXE. While the pointy end vs bare chests is... also horrible, at 49. Then it drops like a rock to 30/24/20. (and again, it's blunt side is worse than the slicey axe vs body armor).

I've had fun treating it as a gimmick finishing touch/opening move weapon. Because nobody expects a blunt hammer that lists 50 damage to a helmet, to list 70 damage to helmets with the sharp end. But it just doesn't seem to have anything going for it beyond trying for headshots with the pointy end.

Feels more like the eveningstar and maul are cool because they are HUGE, so they basically had to give them good damage across the board.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 8, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TracerBullet posted:

On opening up the game again I was given another prompt to accept another 10,000 gold, after already taking the 10k once today. I refused it because I didn't want to be a dirty double-dipper. HOPE YOU ALL ARE AS ETHICAL AS I AM.
I expect I'm going to hate myself later for being as ethical as you were. But the increasing gap between levels means I will probably earn another 10k by the time I go from level 26 to 30 anyways.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I feel like they should make drags either not work or significantly less effective for thrusts. That would probably go a long way to making it so everybody isn't using rapier/short spear or a 2 handed sword and just thrusting all day. It's kind of irritating to have somebody clearly miss you then all of a sudden you get hit for a sizable chunk of HP.
Everyone flails around so much that "No drag" for thrusts would make people be dodging them on ACCIDENT, even if I could understand the case for reduced speeds/reduced damage the farther the drag, etc.

People can shimmy side to side in plate armor real good. So getting hit in the face with a thrust rather than poked in the butt means I probably deserved it compared to me getting accidental double kill with an estoc swing, because I decided to morph a thrust into a swing against my intended target.

This is less "Git gud" and more "If someone as horrible as me can see the difference, then..." for why NO drag seems like going too far. Though at launch when the servers were more hosed, a lot of my experience with nailing zero drag thrusts to the back of someone's head was it to harmlessly phase through their skull, then have them accidentally kill me with their horizontal backswing.

So that's probably not helping with why I don't :sigh: as hard as I could, be when the Nth rapier user pokes out both of my eyeballs immediately after a chamber. Thrust spammer still (seemingly) have to put more effort into aiming for my head, than anything else, So far as my living dangerously with 1/1/1 armor or gimmicky 1/3/1 vs spear/rapier users goes.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 9, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

So yeah now that I'm getting better shields are just too good and the kick is too bad to properly deal with them. With the two problem weapons, short spear and rapier, a shield user can get kicked, still recover in time to block your follow-up, then stab faster than you can recover from your attack. Every single time, it's not hard to do either. Something needs to be done about that, everything else seems like it's mostly fine.
I am literally kicking people to death with increasing frequency. But gently caress me if it goes from "Hey, kick can be pretty nice actually!" to "gently caress this game" if there is so much as a 2 inch incline up or down. It is a lot harder against rapier users who don't freak out over the first kick actually connecting, though, yeah. But it sure beats expecting attempts to chamber their thrusts to work out.

Murphy's law demands my kick success% goes up the more people start bitching that kicks don't work against shield+rapier users in a match, so that's probably why I'm defending kicks even in their janky state.

I hope they fix the uselessness of kicking up/down because that would also help against people who think standing on the stairs with a zweihander or halberd is the height or tactical prowess. It would be nice that if they make any changes to kicks, they actually polish that and don't just slap on some "guuder vs shields only." effects onto them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 9, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

My tendency towards slower weapons means I can never seem to actually get anything into the window of a kick. The most reliable way I have of killing shields right now is just waiting for them to attack and playing footsie and that stops working the minute anyone else is involved so they just get a free kill.

It's especially frustrating because I'm starting to even get decent at 1vX fights against people who aren't using shields, but the moment someone with a shield is involved my drag clangs off their shield and I get mobbed down.
I will fully admit I swear by a shortsword or arming sword as a backup, even when I'm not kicking things. It's a lot easier to slip into a crowded brawl and start racking up finishing blows without accidentally hitting my teammates if I put away my giant war axe and pull out a baby sword. 90% of my feints are canceling a swing that would have obliterated a teammate because I am a huge softie :downs:

So that certainly helps matters, but it's much more satisfying if their brain clearly shuts down over "Kick's work!?" and a Maul overhand or thrust finishes the job. (Note to self, see if the punch perk raises kick damage past 10).

That said, even bothering to give kicks the time of day can still be super loving iffy 1vs1 (It's super iffy in general, because I need to be basically humping them by the time kicks will hit them before they backpedal out of reach on accident), because the backpedal speed on full plate is real fast. You'll see the difference between people who actually know what they are doing, or expect "Shields are overpowered! Even the 40 kill god is crying over them!" to carry them.

And again, gently caress even the most gentle of slopes if I want to kick somebody :argh:

But if you see 2-4 people on your own team trying and failing to kill a shield+Whatever use (Or more commonly, two-hander knight backed into a corner parrying three guys at once and slowly picking them apart), Just walk right on up focusing on defense, or making them waste parries with safe thrusts (poo poo damage thrusts still work for that :pseudo:), until you can kick them (side angle shields do seem a big absurd, at times, if I try to stab them anywhere but from directly behind), and watch the magic happen as your team takes them apart thanks to the opening.

Switching to 3rd person mode also seems to help a shitload if your goal is plowing through a shield user rather than dueling tricks (or judging team safe angles in a brawl). Because if trying to use precision techniques like chambering their morph slashes and regular thrusts isn't helping anyways....

I'm a filthy casual who like to run around looking for teammates stuck in 1vs2+ fights to help anyways between racking up objectives points. So I expect I'm just more comfortable in full chaos combat than proper technical fighting. Which can at least lead to the hilarious results like my bastard sword knight turns the tide by pulling out a blacksmith hammer and building a wall to cock block the enemy advance.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 9, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Horse lords sucked in M&B MP and they suck in this, especially since there appears to be some funkiness with range regarding dragging on horses being way past the visual of a weapon. Doubly so since they've figured out the spawn points and I've seen a bunch of cavalry just circling those and killing people as they pop in.

Comrayn posted:

It’s hard to get a speeding horse guy because you have see him coming in time to wind up your swing. If you could just point your pole arm at him and let him get stuck on the spear they would be way less of an issue. Overall they are annoying but not a huge problem imo.

I think the main trick horses have to their advantage, is the 2 damage horse graze interrupts your swing. If not for that, it would be a lot easier to man up and smash a rider with any weapon rather than their own poorly timed swing that misses you by a mile (or isn't even on the same side you're standing) not not inconveniencing them in the slightest as they shrug and move on, or circle around for attempts two and three.

I would have a LOT more maul kills against fast moving riders to my name otherwise, rather than "Well, that was a waste of both of our time I guess. See you next time!"

Even when you have a polearm, judging the distance and speed on your end still takes more effort than mister "whoops, they bumped you so they get a do over even if they gently caress up the actual attack."

Aside from that? "Don't worry guys, they are halfway down the field and we're five feet from the point-oh, you're going to all sprint after the horse? okay, sure." is the most powerful ability of horses :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 9, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Frivolous question. Does anyone have any idea what the Stone Damage stat even applies to? Like, every proper weapons is just "2 damage", but some of the peasant weapons like the sledge hammer and pickaxe list stuff like 60/100 stone damage.

loving around in frontline, seems the mallet built sandbag walls still run off the wood damage stat. But I have not done any horde mode, so are there stone walls peasant slowly break down in that mode, or what?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Your average video gamesman doesn't actually understand what an objective is. This will never change, hail Satan.
Normally I slam autopick. But I pick blue on purpose because the mid point on Grad(?) is the most HILARIOUS place to put toolbox spikes in the game-

Oh, somebody opened a door and ran into spikes inside the house.

Anyways as I was saying, it's the best place to put spikes-

Oh, they went through the hole in the house, opened the other door, and died on the spikes outside the house.

It's like a loving Tom and Jerry cartoon, that also contributes to victory! win/win.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

megane posted:

Game is fun but I am super bad at it.

I've been doing a short spear and shield but I don't want to be That Guy so I guess I should switch. What lets me kill the 1500 assholes with executioner swords

2/2/2 armor can help. One of Executioner's sword's big gimmicks is it gets 100 vs jorts, so the people who are not simply windmilling for headshots will fish for leg hits on people skimping on leg day. (Watch out for peasants with scythes if you have 0/1 leg armor, on that note).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

Is the estoc worth it as a stabby alternative to short spear and rapier? What else should I try? I am generally pretty bad with slow heavy weapons like the war axe etc but I might give them a whirl anyway
gently caress yes for Estoc. It's easy to underestimate and I keep going to more straightforward weapons (faster stuff, or more heavy hitting stuff). But when it clicks, it's wonderful to have a good range face poker that can also accidentally decapitate enemies with a swing when you miss your intended target. Estoc also juuuust edges into two hits to kill through a rank 3 helmet, and two chest stabs to kill through rank 2 armor.

"How am I getting away with this?" wise. Morphing from a thrust to a slash actually hurts with the Estoc, and all these rapier/spear guys seem to be training people expect even the most transparent thrust-swing morphs to not be something worth worrying about on a weapon associated with thrusting. I don't get away with that nearly so easily with other swords.

Speaking of Estoc vs short spears. Short spear has this weird deal where specifically vs rank 1 armor, it's got higher than normal thrust damage.

Estoc is 70/55/51/46
Short is 65/60/45/35

That trend holds up. For heads and legs, Estoc is superior except vs rank 1 armor, where it's 70/75, and 40/50. But the Estoc deals more damage to zero armor, and rank 2/3 armor... And, you know, can slash for reasonable damage too. The major flaw of the Estoc is that you can't throw it at people.

Ravenfood posted:

A toolbox/arming sword/hammer setup is nice for controlling areas in frontline though. Funny too. I might see if I can swing some traps instead of weapons and just rely on what I find and make giant deathboxes instead.
Can confirm this is a good time. Arming sword is great. And if you actually want to build walls you do want to splurge on the blacksmith hammer. The wooden mallet is a living hell even if you never intend to hit people with it. So no wonder there's a free one every five feet :v:

EDIT: Longsword is real cool overall and carves up people real nice. But I'm just :sigh: at how the title drop stance is kinda underwhelming.
"My longsword just isn't cutting it against this armor!"
"Don't worry! You can use the MORDHAU GRIP!"
*T2/T3 chest damage goes from 37/34 to 41/40*
:what:

The 60 damage swings vs helmets can be a rude surprise to catch people off guard with at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 9, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

Personally I cannot for the life of me get used to using level 3 armour. Even just a helmet seems to have such an impact on your speed that it's a significant hindrance to controlling distance, and a full 3 loadout makes you borderline immobile. Besides, level 2 is generally enough to avoid 1hks from just about everything, which is more or less everything I want what with how easy it is to regain health.
One nice thing is nice that your leg armor has next to no impact on your speed. Which I like, because legs take the least damage overall anyways across the board (fun outliers to punish people who skip leg day aside).

1/1/3 is super fast! (While 2/0/0 or 0/2/0 is still a notable drop in speed). I can't think of any reason to take 1/1/3 unless the entire enemy team was using beartraps, but there yah go.

There are no downsides to protecting your legs except point cost and fashion needs.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 10, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
War axe is cool enough that even if I don't use it a ton, it's one of the two whole weapon's I've blown gold on customizing.

The strangest part of the war axe to me is how horrible I am at landing underhand swings it it, despite all the crushed kneecaps I've caused with maul underhands.

I can only assume it's because the Waraxe looks and feels bigger, while stat listings wise claims it is only 5 whole centimeters "Longer" than the Maul/shortsword. Thus I'm not hugging people as close as I would with a "gently caress this thing has just, the worse reach" weapon.

(I am a boring man with boring colors).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

So, playing 3/2/1 eveningstar right now...if I want to play a smashy boi that's a bit faster, is mace the way to go? Which armor combination?
Maul is the slowest weapon in the entire game, but it loops around to the fastest killing sprees in the game when you smash 3-5 full plate helmets open like watermelons in a row :black101:

I really need to use the Mace and Eveningstar more. They feel far, far more practical. But I miss being able to turn around a bad fight with that one perfect swing / braining archers that splurged on a helmet when I sneak up on them.

Orv posted:

If you go X minutes with a bow in your loadout without a bow kill you're automatically kicked from the server.
This would kick me from so many servers because my crossbow man wildly spirals between "Just killed three knights with an arming sword :buddy:" to "And now to shoot that archer-whoops they shot me first :sigh:"

On the bright side, I've never teamkilled anyone with a crossbow! Because I'm a huge baby who hates hitting teammates :ohdear: So in I go with the sword again!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

They already exist. The question is are they operational when placed or after the first tick. Horses one notable flaw is that they're slow to respond at full speed, baiting them into spikes could be a real game show unto itself.
yeah quick spikes don't work vs horses alas because they take their sweet time until they get pointy, though quick walls sometimes do stop the horse at their minimal stage, which is hilarious.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

They're still useful because of how horses work - basically like a rail shooter because they only have so many paths - you should be able to put them around a blind corner that a horse has to take at some point.
This is part of why Grad is the one map I slam blue instead of autpick, yes. Though it's mostly the cartoonish string of people opening house doors and sprinting into spikes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

i wish this game had a loadout picker more like chivalry so i could flip around stuff on the fly instead of having to build every possible contingency beforehand. or am i missing something?
You are allowed to edit your loadouts during a match too :eng101:

Handy if you just want to swap out a couple things on a build or outfit you like, rather than make an entirely new thing. Like if I'm switching between a frying pan or blacksmith's hammer for a peasant.

Or you smash the 'clone build' button and edit that one's loadout.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If you are not using a zippy mid pointer capable of both swings and thrusts real good like the Bastard/longsword, Gonna shill for the 2 point Arming sword yet again, on the subject of newbie friendly/long term viability options. 1 Point shortsword is also really good for it's value and has gotten me a lot of dead shield+rapier users to it's name. (Cleaver is also just as amazing as everyone in the thread says it is. I just prefer decent thrust on my sidearms).

Arming sword itself is well rounded enough that it functions as a viable primary for side job builds. I can only imagine being underestimated in both how much damage it can put out for it's size, as well as percived role helps a lot there. Compared to being used to finish off somebody almost but not quite killed by a big boy weapon going full backpedal.

"Oh, the idiot with the toolbox stopped hammering a wall to pull out a sword. How cute. Let's get him guys, it's 3vs1-2vs1-what is happening"

If it can carry a middle of the road casual like me, imagine what it would do in the hands of a GOOD player!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 11, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

One thing I've noticed with the longer weapons is that you can get a ton of work done if you're mobbed by parrying and then riposting at a completely different target. I've never walked away from a 1v4 yet, but I have taken 3 down with me by doing that, without bloodlust to boot. The tunnel vision people get when they see they outnumber someone is insane.

E: playing engineer on taiga and fortifying the ballista emplacement is very satisfying, as is blue Grad and the house. Having team chat start talking about how I was "playing sim city skylines" and "winning us the game" felt better than it should have. It's actually kind of nuts how powerful a single engineer can be on some maps.
Enemies opening the house door and running into the spikes never gets old.

I mean, people still somehow kill themselves on spikes sitting flagrantly out in the open. But the door to impalement combo just adds that extra dose of cartoon slapstick :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

I've been playing this game for less than 24 hours and I'm already tired of people complaining about not getting 1v1s on Frontlines.
But don't you see, 60 kills 500 feet away from any objectives means that you should feel sorry for how sore their back is from carrying you!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

The dudes swinging their swords/mauls/war axe while moving in figure eights and just hewing through two and three people at a time. They're not fun to fight even if you know how and it looks ridiculous.
Going from the Maul's micro distance to using the greatsword more has been hilaaaaarious, and I'm a filthy casual who's idea of "abuse drags" is to wildly swing my mouse from side to side and pray to Odin.

As is murphy's law, this was paired with the first time I ever saw someone crying "Mauls are the ONLY broken weapon in the game!" once I started enjoying being able to accidentally kill enemies I hadn't even seen yet without even dragging, jst plain old regular walking forward facing forward swings.

So many tears over 99% thrust weapons, but it's always a real loving eye opener whenever I pick up a reasonable length choppy weapon and it's like I'm back in Chivalry where Vanguards will cry over shortswords.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm disappointed in that I remember ready that the devs were trying hard to avoid the helicoptering bullshit

They did avoid Chivalry helicopters. In the sense Chivalry helicopters were insane 720 blenders, people bent over backwards at a 90 degree angles, walking backwards into people so their overhands will hit people behind them faster than they would hit someone in front of them.

So yes, it's way "Better" than chivalry on avoiding helicopter bullshit. But even a 270 degree angle would be "Better" than Chivalry.

I assume it's probably worse in the most tryhard of duel servers, but on average most attempts at extreme twisting are things even I can perceive (if not always so hot at blocking), which still feels like a huge improvement. That and blocking feels more generous than I remember from Chivalry, so people attempting 45 degree angle thrusts have at least felt way easier to block on panic reflex than helicopter blade swords. (People trying to run away and then 180 with a micro length maul meanwhile, spirals between "Aw that's adorable, even I don't fall for that!" and then watching in confusion as top frag gods run face first into it constantly).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 13, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Motherfucker posted:

imagine if armor was good.
T3 helmets letting me walk away from a throwing spear through my skull seems to be pretty good (Given they list 100 damage vs T2, I can only assume THOSE occasions survived were friendly fire :v: )

That or calmly walking away as some throwing knife spam ninja keeps uselessly plinking them off me.

Armor is pretty great! It's just more notable when not facing off against people using weapons as tall as they are.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 14, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

I have 1000+ hours in Chivalry as well, but one of the main things that attracted me to Mordhau was that it promised to be more freeform. And it is, and the directional aiming feels good to use when it works, but often I find myself going 'wait, why did it do that?'. I guess I have to keep reminding myself to wind up my swings.
I ended up trying setting to "Hybrid" to see what happens and it seems to have made for a convenient "Last mouse direction determines left vs right, Buttons are Horizontal/thrust/overhand/underhand"

It's been working out pretty nice so far, even if I mostly use it for twitch 'pick the side that won't cut the head or legs off a teammate' rather than dueling master progress. But hey, easier than fishing for an alt key or setting 8 individual attack buttons.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 14, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The worst part of a Short Spear nerf would be the increased odds of people going "Wait a minute, that Estoc just did 51 damage to my chainmail, AND is as long as a short spear!" instead of letting me get free pokes while half the enemy team has tunnel vision over a spear user :ohdear:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Avynte posted:

lol, yeah Estoc is the one thing that's gotten "srs business" players cussing me out for being dishonorable.

I'm surprised Maul hasn't gotten more rage yet amongst the community though because holy poo poo can it lay down the pain.
I think I've seen literally one person in chat cry over the maul at length so far, and they doubled down with "The maul is the only broken weapon in the game".

It's probably the fact it is the slowest weapon in the entire game, along with it's baby reach, that keep people from complaining usually. Pure shame is a strong thing for if people complain when something kills them or not. If they crush your skull, deep down you know you probably deserved it more than any other weapon in the game. Even when some monster in human form makes you imagine the Donkey Kong hammer music because holy poo poo :stare:

See also, I've never seen anyone complain over accidentally killing themselves on spikes unless it's some rear end in a top hat trying to box in your own spawn. But if someone survives a bear trap in front of the enemy spawn, they will chase a teammate to the ends of the earth declaring their intentions to team kill them. (Or when it's enemies crying over beartraps, but if they open a door and run directly into spikes like a cartoon character, no comment).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Parachute posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILhLK2S8yus&t=34s

hell yeah is this the awesome flail tactic ppl are talking about or some kind of avian mating dance?
That's the flourish, Mash X and 1 and watch the magic happen :buddy:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Commoners posted:

Has anyone else been using their final point in slow, heavy weapon builds to snag a dagger? It feels like you can get a big chip on someone and they never expect you to suddenly whip out a dagger and jab them in the face after they've finally gotten in on your halberd's reach. People seem to have a real challenge changing gears mentally from "I need to close on this person and just counter their slow attacks without creating an opening" to "I need to chamber and block this lunatic stabbing at me as fast as humanly possible" and it's gotten me a lot of kills, even on players that are at that level of gameplay where they're reliably chambering and blocking attacks.
All the goddamned time, yes, if normally a shortsword. When not splurging on an arming sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Poleaxe in this game is a shadow of its true self. Only as long as the longsword!
At least it's actually in the game, unlike the polehammer :sigh: