Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm bummed that theres no skin option darker than slight nordic tan for customization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Small thoughts:

Foppish is the best voice to pick, I wish they just had a buy menu in horde mode instead of running around the map trying to remember where everything is.

Always be hitting V.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

you absolutely can do this, and there's a ton of voice lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ToObYTeA0o

Trix uploaded a Best Of video, lots of good stuff in here. my favorite part of all these videos is seeing all the different knights and barbarians and peasants, customization rules in this game.

All the hair and beards are really ugly though, and the previously mentioned no skin tone options really.

Also I don't think some of these skirmish maps were intended for 64 players because the opening of each round is all the knights getting door stuck while the archers pepper them with free shots from across the map.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 29, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Seems like right now theres a couple of bugs: Sometimes the only servers that show up for me are the SEA territory ones with unplayable ping, and getting a lot of confirmed stories from friends about not getting any money or experience after matches.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orv posted:

As far as I can tell they had a testing cap of a couple hundred players at any given time so this is all probably to be expected. Hopefully they handle it well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mordhau/comments/bisdil/server_hotfix_inc/

Sounds like yeah on both counts, both the server issues and the progression ones, and they're working on it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

peasant is rough mostly because they don't have a helmet

one thing I'm kinda disappointed in so far is there seems like every incentive in the world to go full heavy armor. you go slower, yea, but you take a l o t less damage and only frontlines has any real dedicated running around. All the skirmish maps are pretty small.

I could play a foppish rogue with a rapier or estoc or whatever it actually is in this and dodge around and constantly press X to flourish or I could just be the guy spamming laugh as every swing does ten hp, tops.

For the sake of realism the game should be about 5 players in full armor that are entirely impervious to everything but hammers or stab damage in the visor, and everybody else is peasants.

A horrible tide of peasants.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't think the estoc is very good compared to spears or zweihanders but gosh darn it I'll get it to max cosmetics.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah I was kinda disappointed with too. I thought the whole deal with estocs was that they were supposed to be designed for stabbing through armor but the stabs felt kinda weak against heavy armor and the slashes were near-useless. The mordhau posture was better but still not amazingly impressive. The thrusts seem to hit pretty hard against medium and light armor though.

It's a slightly more lethal weapon than the stock longsword, slightly faster on most attacks, especially the mordhau swings. The stabs and mordhau strikes are about even against heavy armor because of that.

It's just hard to justify it compared to a great sword or especially a zweihander. Because of how the dragging works a slower attack speed is more a benefit than a libaility I feel like, you get in peoples heads really easy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I recommend trying a Horde server with max players, I've been in a 50 person one that reliably gets to the last wave and thats worth at least 1000 gold each time.

You have enough downtime when you die too for searching the map so I'm learning where all the spawns for everything are.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

I see you haven't been called a mud person by this games delightful community.

Medieval games have become a safe place for the grossest people it seems.

They're one of the last places you can be a really exclusionary dick in the name of historical accuracy. I really appreciate what mount and blade did by just saying, 'screw it, its all fantasy!'

This game is pretty much fantasy too since its mixing over 1000 years of real armor and weapons with game of thrones generic leather fantasy armor and vikings and also ninjas?? All at once.

I don't wanna hear people complain about immersion.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 1, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can couch the estoc when mounted, I was really surprised. Do any of the other two handers let you do that?

Also had a really fun moment against a spear and shield user where they maneuvered themselves into a real bad corner so I just kept kicking them until they died.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fox Cunning posted:

To be honest, the skin tones aren't that bad. The darkest one has a tone suggesting that the bearer might have seen a moor or similar at a point in his life.

ninja edit: there isn't a sling is there? It was the poo poo in chivalry. Both reloadable and perfect aim while running.

The darkest one is a light tan on a swedish man.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can't be a dusky southern Italian condotierre, a failure of immersion.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

Any tips for survival mode? I get totally owned and the hoe is very unwieldy

Always have a good hoe by your side, A good tip is to drag closer during the swing so you make contact faster, the AI doesn't panic parry so it's more useful than against normal players. Instead of giving ground I charge towards groups of enemies and go towards their middle/flanks, pruning as I move around them and just out of reach.

You'll get mad kills until you finally make a mistake and a scythe sneaks up on you for a decapitation, and then you have to sit around while the smarter but also unbearably boring archer players kite the mobs and pick them off one by one for the next 15 minutes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like the little dialogues you can have with the basic voice lines.

Enemy engineer set up a ballista overlooking our point and took aim at me, I managed to zig and zag and get out of the arc and ran up to him but then instead of just attacking did a greeting, pointed at the ballista and said no a bunch, they replied sorry, and then i broke it and ran back down to the point while they ran off.

A small play in 1 act.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Hey Triternion where the gently caress my Frogmouth helmet, thanks

They put a maximillian chestpiece in and no bellows armet, wait in line you drat tourney jouster.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Without batting around the bush, here, uh - knights & vikings are extremely used as symbols of white supremacy, yes. Any game that has them as a big part of its aesthetic will attract that crowd, and you better believe every single one of these kinds of games has.

Different game but me and friends kept a screenshot wall of fame for every heated gamer moment we got thrown at us in the duel mode of For Honor and whoo boy even online gaming since a kid i havent seen it like that until we started playing.

This game has come close a couple times though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Comrayn posted:

Do you have to stay through the end of the game to get any xp/gold? Kind of kills the jump in/out nature of log game modes.

Yeah, i kind of like it because it incentivizes people to stay in losing matches though.

I will say that 1000 tickets in frontline seems like way too much, especially since the game is usually devided by who took central point first and ive only seen a real back and forth a couple of times, and a halfway through the match reversal once.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 4, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ive seen blue win camp a bunch by just holding middle hard. My favorite loss to blue camp was the time some absolute lads stole reds catapult and brought it over to their side.

If you want to win pick red team is the lesson ive learned though, generally.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Wouldn't bet on that, with triternion being an 11 man team in total :v: also I did not think that putting black skin on white facial features would probably be even worse and racist than not having black skin at all

I see nothing wrong, release it [i]now[/], I want to be that... thing and strike dreadful terror in my enemy's heart

It's a full morph face creator, you can already shape it however you want.

Adding something that complicated and then willingly choosing to limit the skin tones to 6 options is sus as hell in a niche genre thats already rife with white supremacy.

I'm not going to attribute it to malice yet but It's always gonna be in the back of mind until they fix it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I dunno, either I'm bad at it or mine's acting up (some angles won't let me move anything, I gotta rotate the whole head around) but I can't seem to make anything that's not just British Peasant, Viking Man, Ugly British Peasant, or Vaguely Foreign But Not Too Foreign.

Like it seems to work like a full morph but you can't actually get a lot of morph going. Could just be a problem on my end though

I didn't say it was a good full morph. You can have fun with it though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Taleworlds was a similarly small team almost a decade ago when they released mount and blade and they really smartly sidestepped all the problems by making it historical fantasy right out of the gate and just letting you be what you please.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Anyways even if they add all that I refuse to be satisfied until I can wear a big metal ostentatious foot tourney skirt instead of dumb cloth and viking leather ones.

Fun Game Science I proved empirically: If you try to go allwyte armor without any waist cloth at all you will be teamhit at least 3 times as much just because it leaves you pretty much no color at all except the tiny gaps in your legs that arent visible from the front.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TorakFade posted:

So, I found a channel on youtube of a guy explaining how medieval stuff worked, from peasant vs knight's food, to shields, to riding techniques etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMjlDOf0UO9wSijFqPE9wBw/featured

I have absolutely no idea if what he says is factuually correct but it would seem at least plausible, and I found it decently entertaining while working and waiting to jump in Mordhau again once my shift's over

It's a pretty good resource if you're not very well read but it's light and breezy and a bit surface level for a lot of it so further reading definitely recommended.

That guy was a founder of Rebellion Dev btw, neat chap.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you want some cool books Torak check out Oakeshotte's A Knight and His .... series, its 4 or 5 inexpensive and thin books but Oakeshotte was a supreme researcher with a lifelong interest in swords and armor so the whole collection together is an excellently good starting point for this subject.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Thanks! I see them for 10-12€ each on Amazon which isn't so cheap, but there's one on sale for 5€ (A Knight and his Castle) so I'm getting that, if I find it good I'll get the others too :) I'm pretty ignorant about the more detailed aspects of medieval life, but I'm very interested, so any beginner level stuff recommendation is welcome. :)

Castle is the book that deals the most with daily life and organization and training, Armor is a developmental history of armor with commentary, Weapons is all about smashy stabby things, Horse talks a lot about the selection and training of mounts and the life of the tournament, Knight in Battle is an in depth look at four battles and the tactics used: Arsuf, Lincoln, Mauron, and Marignano.

They're old rear end books, like originally from the 60, and written for a younger audience, but still hold up entirely today.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 7, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Re the Billhook: The first time I saw somebody I considered straight up untouchable in the game thats what they were using, by the end of a match of taiga on a 36 player frontline server they were 80-15. They used the poke super judiciously and were also excellent at baiting out parries and punishing for them, I don't know about the actual numbers statwise for the hook but I was darn afraid of that person.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Games more fun with just the little quality of life of seeing where your friends are at, super surprised they didnt launch with it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Bows are just really long-range spears. Also I want proper objective maps instead of this weird hybrid.

The thousand ticket matches take too long for my taste right now, especially since all it really comes down to is holding middle point for slightly longer than the enemy and waiting the clock out. Most of the time game is set before the first quarter and there is hardly ever any back and forth if one side then fortifies middle.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I got landsknecht pants and now I don't need to play anymore.

Farewell.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the high damage weapons are just better all around because of how the game works, its about second guessing and reacting and the more hits it takes to kill somebody the more chances you have to make mistakes in addition to giving the enemy more chances to defend and stall. Especially for objective modes, its a bit different in duels when you dont have to worry about a long ttk meaning an enemy might just respawn and rejoin the fight you started by killing them.

The amount of people I've killed by just engaging with two feints into two sideswipes with the executioner or eveningstar...

It's not like the heavy attack animation weapons are more high risk either, you can still play defensively with one. The longer attack animations mean drags are more effective at changing timing so you can catch panic parries much easier, ask anybody who fought an executioner. I've come out on top of 1v4 scenarios through good footwork and switching targets midswing with a high damage weapon, when the enemy has to hit you 4 times and you only need one or two you have an advantage even outnumbered.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 11, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I'm trying out estoc, it's decent, but the damage output seems underwhelming. Which sword are you guys rocking, would you recommend it? What should you be aiming for with a sword, anyway?

The estoc is a longsword that trades some of its slash damage for ludicrous stabs. 2-3 shot stabs against heavy armor, its neat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I can understand wanting to nitpick about realism if that's something the developers of any given game are actually going for, like the more sperg-ey car or airplane simulators, but mordhau is not and never was intended to have a completely realistic setting so yeah it's best to tune that out. Like the time period is clearly "1500s.... give or take" which is a really good place to settle. Lots of very cool technology development in the armor and weaponry in the hundred years on either side.

Try a variance of many hundreds of years. The arming sword is a pre norman viking blade and the burgonet is a gunpowder era helmet form. It's not possible to really put together an accurate harness of any time period and most of the costume selection is pure fantasy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If it was set as a distinct period in the early 16th century every piece of t3 leg armor would have a massive hollow codpiece.

It would be cool to have another game that wasnt generic medieval fantasy and did pick a specific time period but then the smelly vikings would riot and nobody wants to deal with angry smelly vikings.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's more a 16th century / gunpowder era thing and there's not a lot of it game. The maximilian chest and burgonet helm abouts.

I've been topfraggin with the Bardiche lately and I love it. Had the first I'm a golden god moment where I took on 6 people by myself and came out on top through movement and getting them to hit each other instead of me and then picking them off one by one with headshots.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 21, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

cerebral posted:

You roleplay a lovely busker, I'll roleplay a music critic.

You arent qualified to understand the depths of my lute jazz.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A high damage two hander just minimizes the amount of correct guesses you need to kill somebody, its always going to be more efficient and useful than the lower damage single hand weapons, either in duels or team scenarios or being outnumbered.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The players with the most impact in frontline were maul users I've found. The ability to just single handedly delete gangs of enemies single file and take the point instead of being tied down in a series of protracted individual combats is pretty big.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I want all the normal gamemodes to take place on horse field because I like it more than every other map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd just like more maps that are pleasant open fields instead of muddy siegeworks.