Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I find it extremely funny that the whole pitch of Mordhau was "Chivalry but better/fixed" so they've removed all the drag glitches and underground swings and poo poo like that but they've also had people playing it for a year so any new people are just gonna get chewed up and spit out and it's gonna die. (Probably.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't remember what Chivalry's original price point was but I feel like we've seen a lot of proof over the last few years that sequels to multiplayer games tend to get dead very quickly almost regardless of price. I really hope I'm wrong, I miss Chivalry for a ton of reasons but I worry that the world has moved on.

E: Also the first thread on the Steam forums is some chuds screaming about SJWs because someone asked about the promised female character models, so that's great.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So one thing I'm not clear on is that there's now multi-directional attacking a la M&B but can you still just block at the weapon head like Chiv?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pfft I will never be good enough to reliably chamber.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah my hope is that the game does well so I can actually get good at it. I played a fair bit of the one life team servers in Chivalry but Chiv's combat was so utterly confounding that I never really got there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think Mordhau: More, Better Chivalry would probably have the desired bodies in seats effect.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As far as I can tell they had a testing cap of a couple hundred players at any given time so this is all probably to be expected. Hopefully they handle it well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's a bug of some kind right now where sometimes on your first spawn in you don't have any equipment, so I fisted a man to death.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Game good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Zweihanders might stand a bit of tweaking but this game is still really good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If the main thrust (a ha) of your problems is no directional blocking then Mordhau isn't going to solve that.

If your main issue was clarity of combat, Mordhau solves that brilliantly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

i really liked chivalry back in the day and mount and blade. . . but computer...not so good. im on the fence. if its going to run poorly, no good. if it's well optimized i'll buy it right now.

Things like this are why refunds exist, honestly. It'll take you far less than the two hours to find out.

For what it's worth it seems extremely well optimized as long as you stick to servers that are doing what the devs built the game to do. 64+ player servers get pretty funky.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 1, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nalesh posted:

You know, at first I was kinda annoyed at no voice chat, but now I feel like it's for the best.

Join any Frontline battle and you'll reverse out of this mindset so hard you'll wish for a chat removal too!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sure this'll sort of self-correct eventually but right now the number of 1v1 fights you can win basically automatically just by morphing attacks is pretty funny.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just walk and don't do anything else for a few seconds.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The faster regen start perk is a single point and honestly if you're in a situation where you can't escape long enough to regen you're probably dead anyway, at current levels of skill.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Horses are literal vehicles like you'd find in Squad or something. Health, persistent, respawn eventually. It's pretty funny honestly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Can the scythe get around shields? I could have sworn I took somebody's head off when he had his shield up, but he may have dropped it right as the hit landed.

You can swing over shields unlike most games, it's just the shield not a magic hitbox, depending on the elevations involved you can totally behead somebody over their shield.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

I actually was going to ask about hitboxes. How much larger is the shield hitbox than the shield? It seems like there must be some difference because I've hit the shield when only close to it.

Also, what spread does the parry have? Full front of the body?

The shield hitboxes wrap a little around to the sides to prevent you from just completely no selling every block they make but above and below (seem to be) perfectly in the model.

Parry is a cone from the center of your vision, you have to look at the weapon to some degree unless it's coming right at you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

is chambering any more effective than parrying or is it just an alternative way to do it?

Chambering recovers faster, so if you're exclusively on the defense against a faster weapon you can get back on the attack.

That said I'm starting to notice some ugly cheese with rapiers. It's fast enough on the stab that if someone is face hugging you you're basically not going to be able to parry it without super low ping/high framerate so people are just going around with rapiers stabbing repeatedly with no consequence. Footwork is the answer but it's not always the easiest to get away in the bigger modes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jst0rm posted:

imagine organized 32 man teams fighting each other. Like a shield wall with spearmen behind it. flanking Calvary and archer line. There is potential for some interesting stuff in this.

My experience with every super organized video game experience ever tells me that this would rapidly bog down in hyper-nerdery and lovely 4chan humor and not be fun at all unfortunately.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah doing it with goons is fine, everyone else gets up in arms about realism and playing by the rules and blech.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm beginning to think this game might have more cheese than Chivalry. It's not as bad as reversals but goddamn some things need tweaking.

Still fantastic, mind you, just frustrating to be having a decent fight and someone comes in spam stabbing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The two log bridges on the north side of Taiga's middle point in Frontline are now my favorite thing ever. I held court there last night with an eveningstar and all you have to do is tap people on the side as they run in with a big old zweihander roundhouse and off they go. Two people who know what they're doing (or are at least a moderate-ish threat, like me) can hold that poo poo forever, it's great.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Only ever the fanciest of pants.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've been contemplating the opened gambeson collar just to look like a complete doofus.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It looks great with some of the heavy helmets. Just a complete mismatch, like some kind of confused douche vampire.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rynoto posted:

The only thing I can't get over about this game is their claim it's supposed to be a realistic war game which is such a blatantly obvious lie that I can't figure out if it's supposed to be a joke.

Game is still fun in an arcade way though.

That's more just marketing speak I think, they absolutely acknowledge that the fun is more important than the realism. (Especially in relation to the nerds screaming about wimminz in dey vidjo gamez.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Lol, who cares no video game is realistic.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I had that happen a couple nights ago and nothing I did fixed it but it didn't seem to be happening for any reliable or sensible reason. Hasn't happened since either. i5 6600k/1070.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Also also, the gore can be surprisingly gruesome at times :stare:
https://i.imgur.com/zGp4YJJ.mp4

My favorite thing ever in this game is in something like Frontline or Skirmish when a group of dudes is coming after you and you just haul off and blast the front-runner's skull into oblivion you can visibly see the players take a step back and see who wants to go first. It's gruesome as gently caress.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kick, smash, :smug:

(When the game isn't dropping kick inputs which keeps happening to me.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think I'm probably taking this a little too seriously when "3/3/3 Longsword only no perks" is a thought I had after a round of Frontline. It's conflicting, they've made this really cool first person fighting game with a ridiculous amount of complexity and while obviously no one is at fault for having fun their way I think I just want to get better at the game and being repeatedly murdered from behind by a naked dude with a maul and bloodlust is only funny so many times. I should probably just go live in duel servers but it'd be a shame to miss some of the weird moments of Frontline and also I suspect that, since I don't normally get like this, the kind of people that live in duel servers are probably lovely and weird. I certainly was as a teenager playing JKA duels.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 7, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like when you get people running away from 1v1s because they have a maul and no armor and only engaging with their team when they can backstab people something should probably be done about it. Otherwise I pretty much recognize that all my other gripes are currently just a lack of my own ability.

Gobblecoque posted:

In my experience the folks on duel servers are by and large pretty polite and helpful. It's a big improvement over frontline where every game seems to have at least a handful of incredibly annoying adolescent nazis.

Nice to know, I'll have to try and find a decent one in my region, it's always nice to have a regular set of people to duel against.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's not a terrible stretch to imagine that the game made by (probably mostly) white guys whose history of the European continent is probably not particularly thorough - aside from weapons - said "Well there were no black people in Europe" because that's come up multiple times in gaming in the last few years. I don't think it ultimately matters if they're not doing it for malicious reasons and are instead simply reading the wrong books or whatever. Obviously if someone digs up something bad then yeah, these games attract that crowd for a reason.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

I’m disappointed that you can’t chamber while unarmed

There should be a really hard to do move where you can catch the sword on a stab chamber and if you can kick in time it disarms the person and the sword flies away from you both, but if they stab fast enough it's a guaranteed kill cause it just slides through and gets you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its institutionalized racism op.

Given that they don't seem to be making any efforts to prune the deus vult shitheads from their Discord, probably.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Frankly I don't think this thread is the place for it. They existed at all is reason enough for the colors to be in, that it is not a realistic historical game is reason enough for them to be in, that these types of game tend to attract a certain sort of type of human garbage is reason enough to be wary that the lack of the inclusion is something other than ignorance. Similarly I don't think we need to burn the place down witch hunting if they aren't openly lovely about it - and eventually fix it - and can just keep playing the game and whining about rapiers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cease, play video game, have fun. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

TorakFade posted:

How can we have fun when people stab us in the face with rapiers all day long and we keep dying :argh:

I'll let you know when I figure that one out. My current hypothesis is lots of expletives.