Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Orv posted:

I fisted a man to death.

Hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In terms of people being mad that their are people who are good crushing them. My response is "shoot them, maybe?".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, as a new player who's barely going 1k/d in frontlines (which i figured would be the least tryhardy mode) what should I really be trying to learn? Last game I tried like this was mount and blade, missed the chivalry train completely.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've been throwing daggers into people's faces as the knight starts with one and its really funny. Thanks for the tips, i'll report back

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

McSpanky posted:

Changed mine to "Mordhau Pride Month" with a rainbow avatar and I seem to be very popular now. Sometimes even my own team wants to give me special sword hugs!

Is there some setting where you can actually see peoples names without having to aim at them? I've noticed like 3 names in my entire time playing this game ad that's because i was getting owned.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hit H then anyone in your friends list or in your squad will have their name displayed above their head.

Ah right, thanks!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I made a character called Fred, he's wearing orange and black, he's fat, he's got a big club. Yabba Dabba do motherfuckers

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can't wait for the inevitable argument about this

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They probably need to do a pass on all the maps in general. It's like they went "this is cool, lets do this" without considering that people are going to spend a shitton of time finding spots they shouldn't be able to get to.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
New map is fire pot heaven, its impossible to do anything because people on both teams just bathe the bridges in fire and they're always next to supplies

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
After playing the new map what seems like 10 times in a row i'm 100% in favour of them just nuking it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The people not complaining about fire on the new map haven't encountered the squads of roving naked firepot men yet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stretch Marx posted:

Again, I'm not. Because I play with the horses on the horse map. The middle is just a meat grinder to quickly get back to camp for a new horse.

Exactly, you've not encountered them. Not that I really mind, the horsemen on the outside are just mortar/ballista fodder

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

siggy2021 posted:

Patch owns. New map owns. Horses all day. If you are running into "roving naked firepot men" then either gently caress off, stop being a peasant, and get on a horse and do drive by pokes like god intended or get yourself a toolbox and that kickass hammeraxe and build yourself a ballista.

Edit: or I guess a bow, but they are apparently "pointless"

So basically do all the boring things. Nice.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

siggy2021 posted:

I'm sorry you find these things boring. Maybe you should play a different game?

Nah it's fine the majority of the player base also thinks that the fire/horse bullshit is unfun so I'll stick with them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stretch Marx posted:

drat silent majority strikes again.

If it was so silent I'm wondering why it's half the chat literally every game I play

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stretch Marx posted:

You people don't want medieval war sim. You want CS:GO with swords.

CSGO has Molotov's ;)

It just doesnt have resupply points right next to skinny walkways that let people perma block off them so literally the only thing you can do is walk through it with fireproof (alone, because your team certainly isn't going to) or play the archer game and achieve nothing.

I don't have a problem with these things on the other maps but I do on crossroads, because while they're not fun things for me on other maps, at least on other maps I can simply just avoid it. Can't on crossroads.

E: maybe I'd complain less if the game didn't let people hype vote for the same map over and over again

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I poked my way through 10 people last night with the axe head, its absolutely obscene.

I also made a rapier build, which is a guy who's 1/1/1, a rapier and all perks. Most noticeably the dodge perk and the perk that makes jumping take half stam, but not sure if that applies to dodging. What I do know, is that it really pisses off the guys swinging two handers when I dodge out of their range and stab them in the face over and over again. I can see why people hate rapiers so much, that build hard counters to 2h dudes if you're good at spacing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
People are only toxic in duel because they think they're really good and then get mad when you work out the single combo they've learned and then punish them for it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah Taiga always ends in a red team spawntrap, it's nuts

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah my big annoyance with horses is they'll get 10 people chasing after one dude who's honestly not actually doing that much and completely ignore the line of dudes walking into camp

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Taiga is a red spawncamp the entire time after the changes.

I'm really enjoying a rapier build, actually. gently caress all armour, a rapier and a ton of perks. A lot of people will do their huge 2h swing at me and i'll just dodge back and poke them in the face. It gets a lot of rage from people who I won't duel "properly".

Then when I get bored I swap to a 2h and murder them again, because gently caress you, its not the rapier, its you, ya poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly if you want to avoid the polearm meta that's brewing, just use an actual shield (a hold one) and a mace. gently caress's literally everyone up in two swings and if you get a group of stabbers you can generally hold em off for a few seconds, which if you're not completely alone is enough.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i keep getting caught out by that. Oh hey that guy has to dude basically teleports oh ok i'm dead i guess.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, if red get control of the ladders, its basically all over. If red can't get over the initial disadvantage they're hosed

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah my big go to is grabbing my billhook class and hiding by a wall. Some games i'll just go "gently caress horses" and spend the entire game doing it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sure, if peoples swords start blunting every time they slice against heavy armour :colbert:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I did that and honestly I just hate being that slow. Much prefer being a light boi. Dodge out of the way of peoples attacks and then just swing at their neck.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It typically just means that I get to actually bounce between people rather than getting stuck in drawn out fights. I don't usually want to fight one person in frontlines, I want to be bouncing off of two or three so i can make them gently caress eachother up on timing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Motherfucker posted:

Eh, I find the chase mechanic means it dosn't matter how supposedly fast you get to be you'll still be run down by full armored plate knights regardless.

Well its less about running away and more about lunging further. If you're lighter you get to take an extra step that a lot of people don't expect, which really throws off a lot of dudes. My ugly as sin 2h axe light dude just ping pongs off of people in a fight. If i gently caress up I die but i'm ok with that. Sucks when an archer notices and lines up a headshot though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Heater shields do the same thing to couched weapons btw

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, its gotten to the point where i'm even annoyed when i'm winning and my own team is hucking fire because I can't continue mowing people down, because there is fire in between me and the enemy and even with fireproof I am walking into a 1v5.

On a subject of actual, massive annoyance though, long spears should not be as good as they are up close. I can understand stab spam with a short spear being difficult, but the long spear can stab fast enough to be really loving annoying and its actual historical counter of getting up in the guys face doesn't stop them from stabbing, which is a shame. I'd take "spears are way more dangerous from afar if they're less dangerous up close" if they needed to balance it or whatever.

Also let me brace a spear against the ground to gently caress over a horseman tia.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Phlegmish posted:

e: if I had any general advice of my own to offer, it'd be that Mordhau rewards and encourages aggression. At any given point, you should always be trying to (re)take the initiative or you will inevitably die. A wildly swinging idiot will often do better than a somewhat skilled player who is being overly cautious and defensive. I see this a lot. The best strategy is to constantly apply pressure and to do it in a non-obvious way, through feinting, accelerating, morphing, footwork, target switching, etc.

Unless you're using a shield. If i'm getting into multiple fights vs wildly swinging people who are cutting down allies, I get the shield out because it even does cool poo poo like block weapons that have cut off a guys head next to me and gone straight into me. I get hit surprisingly often assuming my pubbie is gonna parry a swing so I don't need to block, then he dies.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really need to make a "billhook and box" class. Is it possible? gently caress if i know, i guess i'll check tonight.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm running into a lot of people that are somehow stabbing me through a kite shield while i'm staring at them with it raised. Did someone work out how to gently caress over shields from the front?

Hope not, they were my go to for "i don't want to put much effort into 1v1's".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah dragging a stab into someone is really dumb imo. The jumps I get, its the ones where they stab past me and turn into me where I go "hold on a tick"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jarmak posted:

This one doesn't bother me so much because it feels like an abstraction of stabbing from different angles (think like a hook versus a jab).

Shouldn't do nearly as much damage though. You've got far less force on the stab.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

cerebral posted:

Rant time: If you get clocked in the head by the Maul guy on your team who is 56-10-0 by getting between him and his target, it's probably your bad, not his. If he says, "sry", that's him being polite, not an admission of guilt or a justification to suddenly start trying to team kill him.

Just in general, people need to stop trying to sneak past their teammates to get that one last stab in. It either ends up in them blocking their teammates' swings, feeding the enemy an easy riposte, and probably getting accidentally teamkilled.

Teammates trying to help and crowding me is absolutely the most infuriating thing in the game right now, and it's the one thing that there is no hope of ever fixing.

Yeah, i'm usually trying to fight on the edge of a scrum for this reason alone. When I've timed my attack so its going to hit before the other guys and a friendly dude catches my sword for him because he's decided to charge in from behind, its real annoying. It's extra annoying because you usually can't even see what's blocking your blade either, they don't have to be on your screen

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Borsche69 posted:

Ordinarily I'd agree, but shields are such horseshit that dragging stabs around them are one of the extremely few tools you're given, and one that doesn't even work that well if the shield user has a modicum of awareness.

Shield users have to give up a lot for the shield though. If they want killing power (mace) they need to significantly give up on range. If they want range it's going to take them a ton more hits to kill people. I'm ok with where they're at. I don't typically get into a fight with a shield user and think "bullshit" nearly as much as I do when someone has a long spear and has just unlocked their mouse wheel, with it spinning at 50000000 rpm or some poo poo.

Parachute posted:

you should be able to slap a shield off of someones back exposing them to faster death. maybe you can, i dont know i just like to jump people and fight as unfairly as possible

People barehanded should be able to grab them and throw them to the floor, as the shield on their back is an excellent handhold! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

have you seen my baby posted:

Removing stab dragging would make the stabbing weapons braindead simple to play against

That's fine because they're braindead simple to use