Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lets do a time capsule prediction thing and try to predict what wrestling and mma will be in five years guys. im gonna lock this thread in june or something, when i lock it i will save the thread to a flash drive because who knows if this website will be around then. then we can look at it and see what fools we are.

just make predictions, there is no prize except shame of being wrong. no death pool predictions.

here are a few from me.

smackdown will have been moved to fs1 after nine months on fox.

impact will still be around in some shape or form.

sasha banks will be retired

the monumental podcast will still be going hosted by massrafter and the goog since hulkamatt will be working full time for the newly added expansion montreal expos mlb team office and not have time to do podcasts anymore

samuraifoochs will still be positiveposting about wwe which may be pretty good by then

nxt will just be a full on brand, with an expansion in mexico that doesn't do strong business out of the gate. there will be a florida presence to continue developmental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
The XFL will be the new national pastime, as predicted by all time great Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle The 6th Day.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Something extremely funny will happen with Tony Khan

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
aew flops and closes after only 3 years
the territories return as super indies (like just below current roh levels),
-nwa in the south
-roh in the midwest and east
-njpw's us brand "New United Pro Wrestling" in the west coast

wwe continues to lose viewers but makes more and more money from desperate tv companies fighting for live entertainment and blood money
Mens' Champions
WWE Raw (Triple Crown Champion [Universal + current WWE World Heavyweight]): Seth Rollins
WWE Smackdown (World Heavyweight [resurrected eagle belt for nostalgia]): Kenny Omega
WWE NXT: some kid who right now is in high school and will begin training in 2022
NWA (Worlds Heavyewight): Matt & Nick as co-holders
ROH: the guy currently called Lars Sullivan who will have an even worse name by then
NUPW: one of the young lions currently being battered at ringside

Womens'
WWE (Unified Women's): Lacey Evans
WWE NXT: same as nxt men's
NWA: Sahsa Banks (obviously in a different name)
NUPW won't have one because NJPW doesn't
ROH won't because the only women they will hire is ring girls

other stuff
NXT is used as a developmental system still with promotions in the UK & Europe and a bunch of "developing markets" but are run pretty much hands off only to keep homegrown promotions from starting up, NXT Japan and NXT Mexico falter and are closed due to NJPW/AJPW and CMLL/AAA respectively blacklisting them
dave will have retired from the observer (or died) and someone new will be handing out ratings and will be loathed for not being dave
china will ban wrestling for encouraging violence
xfl runs for several years as a complete joke before finally closing having never drawn a dime
lots of other investors and networks try to start new wrestling shows in the us but fail

i'll be the only person who actually posted a big effort post and will be rightfully mocked for being an idiot/tryhard

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

McGregor will be dead in 5 years. He will also show up at a wrestlemania as a hologram after he dies.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
PWG is dead

GCW buys out CZW and its trademarks, launches some kind of deathmatch VOD service

ROH is dead and its assets/tape library get bought by WWE, WWE runs an ROH reunion show headlined by Daniel Bryan and Samoa Joe vs. Nigel McGuinness and CM Punk

Billy Corgan buys Impact and re-unifies the TNA and NWA World Titles, runs it as a weekly studio show out of Chicago

MLW is dead

XFL is dead

New Japan stops running shows in America completely, but is otherwise fine

AEW goes head-to-head with WWE in at least one TV timeslot, starts winning, the top talent jumps to WWE for big money and it all falls apart

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

for the record here is the state of wrestling five years ago

tna is still on spike tv, but controversy arises after dixie and russo have troubles with email.

roh and new japan begin their relationship and run the first cross brand show in the united states which is njpw's first major presence since their intercontinental championship tour with japw.

daniel bryan's first major babyface run as a headliner in wwe is capped off

dragon gate usa ran their last show as gabe shifted his focus to evolve

pwg started a multi year streak of having shows sell out within minutes of tickets being available, hitting peak popularity. almost every single wrestler who appeared on cards in 2014 are signed to a major deal somewhere.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
AEW will be at like, peak TNA level, i.e. not going head to head but a very solid #2 that is close to being a household name.

Dean Ambrose will be back in WWE as a main event adjacent talent after a very good sojourn to AEW.

TNA will have folded and the tape library will be on the Network.

Vince will be dead and while the main roster won't be NXT good week in, week out, it will be a better product despite the diminished audience.

Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns will both regularly be top champs in WWE.

The biggest hit of the current crop of NXT guys on the main roster will be Matt Riddle.

And yes, I'll still be positive-posting. :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

as of april 22 2024 vince mcmahon still lives and has not retired

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

wrestling will be outlawed and we will have to use vps to watch very brutal quality thai streams. This is also when wrestling will be best.

also wwe will run the tokyo dome in the next 5 years

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TNA will be on public access in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. they will have 2 viewers, one will be josh matthews and the other will be chris regal

they will still have not paid their talent, nor their production staff

E; their production staff will be entirely comprised of josh matthews

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Tetsuya Naito will not have an IWGP heavyweight championship run lasting longer than 4 months and 2 defenses and Kazuchika Okada and/or Kenny Omega will put on a 7.25 star match or better lasting 75+ minutes.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

vince McMahon will be dead. I will be dead.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shota Umino will have held the IWGP Heavyweight title. He will be one of the best wrestlers in the world.
Hiromu Takahashi will be in a wheel chair and still putting on amazing, death defying wrestling matches.
El Desperado will be IWGP Junior Heavyweight champion. He will also be unmasked after losing his mask to Hiromu in a match where Hiromu loses a leg.
Gedo still cannot give a gently caress about booking tag team wrestling very well, despite making his career as one half of a tag team.
There will be a new Tiger Mask as Tiger Mask IV has retired.
Tanahashi and Makabe will be the foremost New Japan dads because Nagata, Nakanishi and Tenzan will be retired. Kojima will still be great.
NOAH and All Japan will still be drawing a couple hundred fans outside of Tokyo and still resist merging.
Death match wrestling will still be loving rad.
WWE will host a lucrative paid show in Myanmar.
Vince will still not be dead or retired, despite senility settling in. Nobody notices much difference in the quality of writing.
Velveteen Dream will be wrestling on Main Event against Tyler Breeze because Vince hasn't heard of Prince.
They will still fail to pull the trigger on a Big E title run.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Vince will be alive, but Shane will be dead

Roman Reigns will be dead

Ric Flair will be dead

Big Cass will be dead

Sunny will be dead

Curtis Axel will be dead

every good wrestler on the WWE roster will be poached by AEW, the main event scene of WWE is The Miz, Baron Corbin, Bobby Lashley, Big E, Lars Sullivan, Mustafa Ali, and Braun Strowman.

Kofi and Xavier are retired

AEW will be getting better ratings than WWE

i will be the new mod

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

AEW has moderate success and is then torpedoed by their owner/ the network for not being a WWE level success immediately. The bucks and SCU get out while the gettin’s good, but Kenny and Cody go down with the ship.

Tetsuya naito, Kota ibushi, will ospreay and hiromu takahashi all are forced to retire due to neck injuries

NJPW faction leaders:
Okada leads the Sekigun

ZSJ leads Sabre-gun after he overthrows Suzuki and wins a fantastic feud (Babyface old man Suzuki fighting for what’s his is the hottest angle of the year)

Shota Umino leads a group of young guys (including at least 2 LA dojo guys) as a legend killer group who are taking revenge for being overlooked and disrespected as young lions

Jeff Cobb leads the remnants of a dying bullet club who now lean face

SHO (having beefed up to heavyweight) leads a new faction that is basically just CHAOS again.

Seth and Roman are still at the top of WWE.

Kofi never wins another top level championship.

Charlotte hits championship #16

The Lucha bros show up after Aew folds, are massively successful, then do an ill advised breakup angle that gets no one over. Penta gets unmasked because the office thinks it’s too scary. Fenix teams with kalisto as the mysterioheads on Superstars.

Vince is still alive

The XFL is successful enough to get bought by the NFL, Vince makes a profit

They’re still running shows in Saudi Arabia as more and more horrific things come out about the regime. They are not hurt by this at all.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Smackdown now airs exclusively in Saudi Arabia.
AEW gets a network TV deal somehow.
Impact is on periscope in portrait mode.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

That DICK! posted:

vince McMahon will be dead. I will be dead.

Is this a threat?

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

What was once known as the "Dusty Finish" will be known as the "Cody Finish".
Also, Impact will move to the Home and Garden Network.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

The man called M posted:

Also, Impact will move to the Home and Garden Network.

That’s a hell of a step up for them

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 23, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The man called M posted:

What was once known as the "Dusty Finish" will be known as the "Cody Finish".

lol i like this quite a bit

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Jeff Jarrett will get a nostalgia IC champ run.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Ben Askren will either retire or end up fighting in some org in Asia after he washes out of the UFC.

Carlos Condit is retired and goes into politics in New Mexico.

Conor Mcgregor will not have fought since getting decisioned by Tony Ferguson in 2020 or 2021.

The UFC gets new owners.

Jon Jones retires with all the money and as a dual champion.

Colby Covington eventually becomes UFC Welterweight champion and poses with Trump on social media. It will be insufferable.

Frankie Edgar will be retired

The men's flyweight and women's featherweight divisions are disbanded.

Demitrious Johnson comes back to the UFC as a Bantamweight, but age has caught up to him and he is a shell of what he once was.

Bellator keeps on keeping on, but Scott Coker is not there anymore.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Hulk Hogan is still alive.

Ric Flair is Dead.

Sasha Banks and Bayley have left the WWE. Bayley will be retired but Sasha will still be going in the indies or, comedy option, Joshi.

Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas will have formed a tag team by this point.

Shinsuke Nakamura will already be back in NJPW at this point

Kenny Omega and the Bucks will be signed onto WWE after APW folds.

Chiara will die

Impact will die

ROH will still be chugging along

Lesnar will be retired with all the money

Vince will still be alive, but when he passes, will leave the company to Steph, leaving HHH completely out in the cold.

NXT México will be a thing.

Xpac, Scott Hall, and Sunny will be dead.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Filthy Tom Lawlor will win a big title at one of the promotions before going on a mysterious losing run after using his platform to call for unionisation

Orange Cassidy will face Velveteen Dream in their 19th battle in what will become known as the greatest saga in wrestling history

Mick Foley will have a financially solid sauce company of some sort

Kenny Omega will have done something that makes everyone think he's gross and wonder why he was ever so popular

Johnny Gargano will hopefully be somewhere i don't watch but more realistically will be doing the worst long form storylines ever created, in increasing length and awful cheesiness and yet people will still think it's good for some unknown reason

Sanada will be making his slow way to Makabe status after a disappointing run with the top belt

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I hope I die, I hope we'll all die

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Tanahashi will be winding down his career, possibly performing in his final G1

Sombra will either be a lower main event heel with one well remembered but short lived world title reign, or leave and return home to Rush's loving arms

Big Show will quietly announce his retirement, I'll post another Big Show thread

Naito will not learn Nakamura's mistake and sign a deal with WWE

More Hogan-era wrestlers will be dead. Hogan will still be alive, sadly. Same with Vince.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Raw will draw .5 Nielsen ratings. Within fifty years, pro wrestling will no longer exist.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

WWE will hire Vince Russo to write an hour show that will be exclusive content for the KSA's WWE Network. On it the first "Walker on a pole" match between Kota Ibushi, Tetsuya Naito, Joey Janella and Tommaso Ciampa is aired (at least two of the four die in the match). Russo is later fired after six weeks and Banjo is tapped to take over writing duties.

Women's matches in WWE will be back to being sub-6 minutes and will still inexplicably get MOTYC votes.

rovert will still cause 5 page derails when he says something distasteful about a Haitian wrestler.

Lowtax will sell SA to PRESIDENT KANE.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

Lowtax will sell SA to PRESIDENT KANE.

I’m happy he at least sold it to another goon

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Firefly Funhouse will win Vince his first Emmy award, which he will melt down to power... the machine

Enzo will be universal champ

Joey Janela will be dead

heavy machinery will be renamed several times before hosting botch club 3.0

LIJ will be no more

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Paco Alonso either dies or gives his company to Sofia. She then causes a mass exodus of older talent led by Ultimo Guerrero and Volador Jr after she demands that younger stars get pushed over them. The only old guys to stay are Atlantis, Felino and Negro Casas

AAA comes into a boom period set off by their new money demo, children. Look for little kids wearing clown make up all over Mexico. They will have TV in the US, they will not sell out MSG

Around the world, the perception of death matches will raise. It will never become mainstream, but it will be the most popular they have ever been, even more so than the first Onita FMW boom

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

someone will make a "brie mode" music video about brienne of tarth

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lets do a 16 month check in! If you did death pool predictions you're DQ'd and im not counting your post. some of you were quite keen on the ball!

syzpid posted:

The XFL will be the new national pastime, as predicted by all time great Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle The 6th Day.

Sadly not!

Fat Lowtax posted:

Something extremely funny will happen with Tony Khan

Just this week! Good job on the early prediction.

Peanut President posted:

aew flops and closes after only 3 years It's still early, but looks like AEW has been a runaway success so far. This prediction looks doubtful.
the territories return as super indies (like just below current roh levels),
-nwa in the south Surprisingly...yes!
-roh in the midwest and east Also holding true
-njpw's us brand "New United Pro Wrestling" in the west coast This also happened, very good prediction!

wwe continues to lose viewers but makes more and more money from desperate tv companies fighting for live entertainment and blood money This is still the case
Mens' Champions Because the prediction is 5 years from 2019, there's no way to gauge these.
WWE Raw (Triple Crown Champion [Universal + current WWE World Heavyweight]): Seth Rollins
WWE Smackdown (World Heavyweight [resurrected eagle belt for nostalgia]): Kenny Omega
WWE NXT: some kid who right now is in high school and will begin training in 2022
NWA (Worlds Heavyewight): Matt & Nick as co-holders
ROH: the guy currently called Lars Sullivan who will have an even worse name by then
NUPW: one of the young lions currently being battered at ringside

Womens'
WWE (Unified Women's): Lacey Evans
WWE NXT: same as nxt men's
NWA: Sahsa Banks (obviously in a different name)
NUPW won't have one because NJPW doesn't
ROH won't because the only women they will hire is ring girls

other stuff
NXT is used as a developmental system still with promotions in the UK & Europe and a bunch of "developing markets" but are run pretty much hands off only to keep homegrown promotions from starting up, NXT Japan and NXT Mexico falter and are closed due to NJPW/AJPW and CMLL/AAA respectively blacklisting them NXT Japan fell apart in the crib due to Covid and WWE doesn't know how to promote in latin markets, but the NXT UK was eventually unveiled to in fact be the talent silo many suspected it of being
dave will have retired from the observer (or died) and someone new will be handing out ratings and will be loathed for not being dave
china will ban wrestling for encouraging violence
xfl runs for several years as a complete joke before finally closing having never drawn a dime It didn't even last two months
lots of other investors and networks try to start new wrestling shows in the us but fail

i'll be the only person who actually posted a big effort post and will be rightfully mocked for being an idiot/tryhard
Not a bad showing!

EugeneJ posted:

PWG is dead Frozen due to COVID-Induced Limbo. They've always kept costs down and run show to show so it will be strange if it ever does close.

GCW buys out CZW and its trademarks, launches some kind of deathmatch VOD service CZW at this point I'm pretty sure is immortal.

ROH is dead and its assets/tape library get bought by WWE, WWE runs an ROH reunion show headlined by Daniel Bryan and Samoa Joe vs. Nigel McGuinness and CM Punk

Billy Corgan buys Impact and re-unifies the TNA and NWA World Titles, runs it as a weekly studio show out of Chicago If you would have said NWA and Atlanta instead of TNA and Chicago you would have hit a home run here

MLW is dead You got this one

XFL is dead And this one

New Japan stops running shows in America completely, but is otherwise fine This one is wrong so far

AEW goes head-to-head with WWE in at least one TV timeslot, starts winning, the top talent jumps to WWE for big money and it all falls apart The first two have started happening, time will tell for the remainder.
Surprisingly accurate predictions from permabanned jackass eugene jerome! Still in the running with the AEW prediction and ROH prediction could come true within the next few years.

NienNunb posted:

I hope I die, I hope we'll all die
thanks for covid, jerk

Do not even ask posted:

WWE will hire Vince Russo to write an hour show that will be exclusive content for the KSA's WWE Network. On it the first "Walker on a pole" match between Kota Ibushi, Tetsuya Naito, Joey Janella and Tommaso Ciampa is aired (at least two of the four die in the match). Russo is later fired after six weeks and Banjo is tapped to take over writing duties. Honestly it feels like this may be the next move.

Women's matches in WWE will be back to being sub-6 minutes and will still inexplicably get MOTYC votes. I don't watch WWE but i don't think they're sub 6 minutes yet. Time will tell.

rovert will still cause 5 page derails when he says something distasteful about a Haitian wrestler. he actually got banned specifically from the forum and now all of something awful has the Rovert Rule.

Lowtax will sell SA to PRESIDENT KANE. Jeffrey of YOSPOS is a name change away from this one being a home run.

NienNunb posted:

I’m happy he at least sold it to another goon

eerie.

Smoking Crow posted:

Paco Alonso either dies or gives his company to Sofia. She then causes a mass exodus of older talent led by Ultimo Guerrero and Volador Jr after she demands that younger stars get pushed over them. The only old guys to stay are Atlantis, Felino and Negro Casas

AAA comes into a boom period set off by their new money demo, children. Look for little kids wearing clown make up all over Mexico. They will have TV in the US, they will not sell out MSG

Around the world, the perception of death matches will raise. It will never become mainstream, but it will be the most popular they have ever been, even more so than the first Onita FMW boom

Very close on the Lucha predictions, especially with Paco's death honestly being a surprise. Mass Exodus was thwarted though when a coup took place in management immediately upon Sofia gaining control of the company.

Cavauro posted:

someone will make a "brie mode" music video about brienne of tarth

Youtube yields this as untrue so far.

I will leave the thread open for a little bit in case anyone else wants to make predictions for the state of wrestling and mma by April 30, 2024. remember, do not predict who dies.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think the biggest shocker was wwe broke foochs. none of us could have predicted that one.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Chris Jericho and Lance Storm will have their 'final' match together as planned, but Jericho will not keep his word and will do some awful matches for paydays that aren't even that massive which will hurt their friendship a lot. Jericho won't ever notice anything was wrong

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

That Lowtax called shot huh

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

David Benoit will have a depressingly bad match that will make everyone sad or maybe laugh

There will be a national discourse about Stone Cold's spousal abuse

Kenny and Kota will not reunite by this point.

Somebody even funnier than Billy Corgan will be in charge of NWA at some point

Adam Cole (and the rest of his team) will have a thoroughly embarrassing main roster run and then inexplicably re-sign

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Hulk Hogan will return to and gaffe his way back out of the WWE at least twice more, by 2024, then probably more after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
These are always fun to look back on, so I'll play along with one post

NienNunb posted:

Tanahashi will be winding down his career, possibly performing in his final G1 Tana has certainly been cycled down in 2019 -- he hasn't been in the title picture since losing it to Jay White and had a mediocre G1 record at just 4-5, including what felt like torch-passing losses to Ospreay and Ibushi. He's spent most of 2020 in the tag division, and time will tell if his next G1 is his last.

Sombra will either be a lower main event heel with one well remembered but short lived world title reign, or leave and return home to Rush's loving arms Andrade's had a couple of start-stop pushes but is just a guy on the roster now. Lower main event heel feels like his best-case scenario at this point.

Big Show will quietly announce his retirement, I'll post another Big Show thread Big Show literally main-evented a Raw in 2020

Naito will not learn Nakamura's mistake and sign a deal with WWE Let's hope he keeps learning that lesson

More Hogan-era wrestlers will be dead. Hogan will still be alive, sadly. Same with Vince. RIP Kamala. Hogan, sadly, is still alive.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 14, 2020