Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Do you need to tell the citizens of the United States to kiss their asses goodbye? Have a tornado that interrupts Michael Wilbon's viewing of a tape delayed sporting event? Need to scare the poo poo out of kids who just want to watch The Price is Right when school is closed? Then the Emergency Alert System is here for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85mIjzJ7WuI

The EAS replaced the Emergency Broadcast System in 1997, the EBS replaced CONELRAD in 1963. Each system is meant to communicate timely with citizens and has grown from forcing everyone to listen to one of two AM frequencies should the Russkies start World War III, to an omnipresent block on your television and phone to tell you a child has probably not been abducted on the opposite end of the broadcast market from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqigWSZDq3A

The system does have its benefits to remind you not to look out the window when a tornado is bearing down, but it's original purpose has thankfully never been needed. It's also provided the sound effects for a fan fiction community who spread their craft on youtube, just don't you dare broadcast :siren: 853 and 960 Hz:siren: over the radio or television or the FCC will fine your morning zoo for the false alarm. My OP is going to try to focus on the history and when things don't work the way they are supposed to. When EAS is not activated, they usually say the media did a better job.

CONELRAD (1951-1963): Duck and Cover! But first turn your dial to 640 or 1240.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWLNPCPs1Zc

Back in the days of strategic bombers delivering atomic hellfire, the idea was to maintain radio silence except for the occasional information bursts on two designated AM frequencies, hopefully confusing any Russians using radio for navigation. The system of rapidly cylcing the transmitters off and on prior to 1 kHz tone was both damaging to the equipment and prone to false alarms during lighting storms. Improvements in technology, including ICBMs, left CONELRAD in need of upgrades.

EBS (1963-1997): So much for you spending a snow day watching cartoons, the world is ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YFp_ZeDg8A

This is probably what you still call the system. The technology improved to use teletype and primary entry point stations to relay the messages across all broadcast media and press wires. It was eventually expanded to include local emergencies and was supposedly activated over 20,000 times. Thanks to the internet, the EBS of most goons' childhoods was replaced by the EAS, with all the weird tones and text-to-speech you now know.

EAS (1997-Current) MOAR TONES

iospace posted:

Quoting from a while back, the voice gets muffled because it's a pretty simplistic (and lossy) encoding, so a lot of quality gets lost. Usually it's coming from weather offices or police stations, where they don't tend to spend a lot of money as well for high end audio equipment for that.

The grating beeps are actually filled with data. The longer beeps at the start are the actual message, and if it has an audio component, then you get the two tones right after them, then the message. The beeps at the end are the end of message signal.

The current system was overhauled in 1997. Gone are the minute long tests, replaced with 15 second burst that can come at all hours of the day. Depending on what kind of cable company you have, the lockout system may get stuck occasionally, preventing you from watching Law and Order: SVU for the trillionth time.

Feel free to post your favorite alerts, annoyed tweeters who just want to watch NCIS and other emergency notifications you may have.

BONUS: If the world is truly ending, this is what Ted Turner wants you to see on CNN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JnfAr_YSxs

This concludes this shitpost...

EDIT: Dude who had a kickass EAN tape from WGN caught a youtube ban. Oh well...

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Moments in Emergency Broadcast History, usually screw-ups

CONELRAD had two regional issues where the west coast underwent blackout in 1955 when the Canadians were unaware of a B-47 bomber training run. In 1959, an erroneous activation message would black out Green Bay and Upper Penninsula Michigan. Both were corrected before the CONELRAD stations were turned on.

2/20/71, The HATEFULNESS U Give: During the EBS days, cards were given to stations monthly bearing test words and EAN codewords. NORAD accidently sent real codeword "HATEFULNESS" over teletype and 20% of stations followed protocol completely, including WOWO and WCCO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu4r79l8P8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B1EAeh6H_I

40 minutes and six incorrect cancellation messages later, the alert was officially retracted. The FCC would stop test EAN's for nearly two years whiled they made corrections.

1992 A true EBS activation during the riots after the Rodney King trial, complete with the poo poo radio that every emergency service has:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4JnrJOKC8w

1996: Amber Hagerman is abducted and murdered in Texas. This is the motivating case behind amber alerts, where confirmed abductions of children with enough of a description of pertinent facts and risk of serious harm or death will lead to activation. "Officially" successful, and potentially useful in truly life threatening situations, this is also likely:

wilderthanmild posted:

A few years ago I had a dream that nuclear war was about to start. I then woke up to my phone making the noise of doom for an Amber alert. Unfortunately it bugged out in my phone, so I got the little dialog with the warning icon, but no message. I got the actual message way after the fact, but was already wide awake.

I didn't go back to sleep that night.

9/11/2001 EAS not activated, they forgot. :911: (This is the #1 with a bullet "the media did a better job so we didn't bother" case)

2005 It's not a false alarm if it's true: EAS activated to order the evacuation of Connecticut. Only 1% of people polled attempted to follow the order.

2013, Olympus has Fined Your rear end: Advertising for Olympus has Fallen included commercials with EAS tones and a blown up White House. The FCC fined companies $1,900,000.

2014, Worse than his Dancing with the Stars win: Country DJ Bobby Bones complains about the World Series being interrupted by EAS. He decided to play the tones to illustrate his point. Problem is, some of his syndication stations may have been Primary Entry Points and it managed to screw up TV stations down the line. The FCC fines iHeartMedia $1,000,000. Bobby Bones then manages to expose all the flaws of letting people vote in Dancing with the Stars.

1/13/2018, Hey Vern! Watch me make Hawaii nuts! Hawaii Emergency management clicks the wrong link, sends the above false alarm that North Korean missiles are inbound.

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 25, 2019

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Other countries have Emergencies too: International Emergency Broadcasts

Former British territories seem to think our noises are too soft.
:australia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVtq4Oj0u0k

:canada: (If you find the right video, you get Robot French in a addition to Robot English)

insert_funny posted:

Canada: where the EAS (or Alert Ready in local nomenclature) plops itself right in the center of your screen so you can't possibly ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le4XGUgucTc

Britain herself has no true Emergency System at the current time, just something called Royal About to Snuff Radio Alert Transmission System when the most important royals die. This is supposedly the song BBC Radio will play to bring the mood instantly down prior to the announcement Queen Elizabeth II is dead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozuFCYJQ4os

:japan: Has the J-alert system, which covers some highly specific situations, including Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Ballistic Missile Launches and even Guerilla Invasions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrt26UfL13I

Tangentially, NHK has one of the calmest breaking news tones, as seen when they announced Hirohito had died:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDJ-U2J_PQo

Mexico:

Desperado Bones posted:

I find it funny that my country doesn't have a single TV emergency alert system. We get a gently caress ton of natural disasters, so it's odd as gently caress.
At much we have The Mexican Seismic Alert System, but it is never broadcasted (you find out it's happening because usually the tv news are on and their seismic alerts go nuts):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izrwrG_mgEY

The map and beeps you see and hear there I think are usually released after the earthquake online, I've never seen them live (I think you can download an app for that, I don't remember well). There are several censors across certain areas, every beep is supposed to be a censor activated. Is really interesting seeing how it spreads across the country.

This video here is the earthquake I had to experience. I live where it says "Villahermosa", even if we were quite far away from the epicenter, that thing hit HARD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i2ViFYNurQ

You already know the wreck and destruction both earthquakes left behind that month (it is said a lot of lives were saved thanks to the system, in comparison to the big one from 1985).

Historic Events
:ussr:Less an official alert system, more we're making you leave Pripyat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l3g3m8Vrgs

Desert Storm Brings us these two air raid warnings from Saudia Arabia, switching to All Clear after a little over seven minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGiarFjUN9g

and Israel, though I have more question about where the dude is dragging that woman before the warning, then what the IDF guy is building after:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apf9jX0Fi_g

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 6, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man I am here for this thread. Broadcast creeewwwwww

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh man, this poo poo.

So I did college radio for a while, and one of the things we had to do was take a test. A good... third of it was dedicated to day to day operations, like "how do you take meter readings", "what to do if the computer crashes", etc.

The rest was solely on EAS. How to use the transceiver, what to do when EAS went off, how to do the weekly test if it came up on your shift, etc. By law in the US, you're required to monitor several counties for severe weather alerts (which is really all you're concerned about, and this was the era before Amber Alerts, so I don't know how those are handled). The most annoying thing was if there is a tornado and/or severe thunderstorm warning in any of those counties, and the station was manned, you had to remain manned until those warnings cleared.

So let's flashback a few years. It's the summer, and in the upper Midwest, that's storm season for us. The entire area is covered in watches. We're doing our usually 4 or so hours on air to pass the time and shoot poo poo in the station, and we're keeping a close eye on things. First warning comes down. Then another. Another. We're all groaning because now we have to stay on air until this system passes over our region.

And then it happens. All warnings in the area are cleared. We quickly cut the music, announce we're going off air, and shut down. As soon as we shut down the transceiver starts printing another warning.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Oh man, this poo poo.

So I did college radio for a while, and one of the things we had to do was take a test. A good... third of it was dedicated to day to day operations, like "how do you take meter readings", "what to do if the computer crashes", etc.

The rest was solely on EAS. How to use the transceiver, what to do when EAS went off, how to do the weekly test if it came up on your shift, etc. By law in the US, you're required to monitor several counties for severe weather alerts (which is really all you're concerned about, and this was the era before Amber Alerts, so I don't know how those are handled). The most annoying thing was if there is a tornado and/or severe thunderstorm warning in any of those counties, and the station was manned, you had to remain manned until those warnings cleared.

So let's flashback a few years. It's the summer, and in the upper Midwest, that's storm season for us. The entire area is covered in watches. We're doing our usually 4 or so hours on air to pass the time and shoot poo poo in the station, and we're keeping a close eye on things. First warning comes down. Then another. Another. We're all groaning because now we have to stay on air until this system passes over our region.

And then it happens. All warnings in the area are cleared. We quickly cut the music, announce we're going off air, and shut down. As soon as we shut down the transceiver starts printing another warning.

lmao this is the 2nd realest thing in college radio behind being buried in lovely single CDs/8" vinyl singles and stickers from bad indie bands

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 27 hours!)

:siren: THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH AS ISSUED A TORNADO WARNING :siren:
everyone in southern indiana/illinois :ok:

I feel like I've heard that so much it's not even scary anymore

edit: also I'm sure everyone says this but I'm pretty sure NWS Paducah has the worst eas voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf9wEjqYUg8

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 23, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DJExile posted:

lmao this is the 2nd realest thing in college radio behind being buried in lovely single CDs/8" vinyl singles and stickers from bad indie bands

My CD collection has so many CDs with, "SAMPLE ONLY DO NOT REMOVE FROM STATION" or something to that effect on them. I wasn't behind the mic, but my friend was.

Ironically, just as I was linked to this thread, my phone popped up an Amber Alert, for...squints...a city 10 hours from here.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My CD collection has so many CDs with, "SAMPLE ONLY DO NOT REMOVE FROM STATION" or something to that effect on them. I wasn't behind the mic, but my friend was.

Ironically, just as I was linked to this thread, my phone popped up an Amber Alert, for...squints...a city 10 hours from here.

Right after I hit post, Pennsylvania decided to do its monthly test. :tinfoil:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahaha yessssssss

back on topic I kind of love that sirius/XM runs EAS tests these days too and it still sounds every bit as scratchy and staticy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Did EAS get activated for 9/11?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Did EAS get activated for 9/11?

Not nationally, it was close though if they couldn't get a hold of W.

The only national activation has been for four tests, the most recent one in October. The three previous ones were via traditional means, first happening in 2011 (with some issues), then 2016 and 2017. The October one was unique because it also involved cell phone testing for the first time.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 24, 2019

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

iospace posted:

The only national activation has been for four tests, the most recent one in October. The three previous ones were via traditional means, first happening in 2011 (with some issues), then 2016 and 2017. The October one was unique because it also involved cell phone testing for the first time.

The October one was where we all got a Text from (The President), right? Which of course lead to many many memes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hockles posted:

The October one was where we all got a Text from (The President), right? Which of course lead to many many memes.

Yes. It was originally scheduled for September but got pushed back a month due to a hurricane.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
A few years ago I had a dream that nuclear war was about to start. I then woke up to my phone making the noise of doom for an Amber alert. Unfortunately it bugged out in my phone, so I got the little dialog with the warning icon, but no message. I got the actual message way after the fact, but was already wide awake.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

wilderthanmild posted:

:stonklol:

At least if my phone is set to full silent (which it is, always, unless I know my family is trying to get ahold of me; I have a smart watch for notifications), AMBER Alerts don't push through audibly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least if my phone is set to full silent (which it is, always, unless I know my family is trying to get ahold of me; I have a smart watch for notifications), AMBER Alerts don't push through audibly.

You can actually disable Amber Alerts. Or at least on Samsung phones you can.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

iospace posted:

You can actually disable Amber Alerts. Or at least on Samsung phones you can.

I'm part of the Apple Massive, so I can't do fuckall with my phone :colbert:

E: Okay, total lies, there's a toggle for emergency alerts. But the spirit of my statement stands.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

This was before they made the change to allow that. I remember that particular Amber alert made a bug fuss around here because of people all over the state of Ohio being awoken by the voice of doom about an Amber alert in a remote corner of the state. If I recall it was in Cincinnati, but they sent it out to the whole state at 3 am.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

wilderthanmild posted:

This was before they made the change to allow that. I remember that particular Amber alert made a bug fuss around here because of people all over the state of Ohio being awoken by the voice of doom about an Amber alert in a remote corner of the state. If I recall it was in Cincinnati, but they sent it out to the whole state at 3 am.

Heh, they set up a system like that at work after the Google shootings, and there was an email about when the first test would go off during the work day, but hardly anyone actually paid attention to the comms.

When it went off, it was such an amazing cacophony.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
Canada: where the EAS (or Alert Ready in local nomenclature) plops itself right in the center of your screen so you can't possibly ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le4XGUgucTc

[your signature is being processed. check the notification bar for updates]

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uEgiswlryc

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

WNEP's Talkback 16 (also known from Last Week Tonight) recently got complaints (and two compliments!) for interrupting *checks notes* a Farrah Fawcett documentary and a repeat of Shark Tank:
https://wnep.com/2019/05/24/talkback-16-the-weather/

(The warning barely went south of the Blue Mountains which goes into the Philadelphia DMA, but the Philadelphia stations didn't break in. There is an independent station in the Lehigh Valley that I'm sure broke in.)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's see how many fuckheads whine in Dayton and Columbus tonight.

e, from silver nitrate in the weather thread:
https://twitter.com/pod4g/status/1133185644241543168

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 28, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I just saw this thread and I am absolutely subscribed. I'm fascinated by EBS/EAS poo poo, especially the what-if scenarios and the protocols that would be followed in the event of truly nationwide emergencies (nuclear attack, Emergency Action Notification, etc).

That drat alert tone scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. I'm not scared of it now but to this day it still makes the back of my neck shiver.

iospace posted:

Let's see how many fuckheads whine in Dayton and Columbus tonight.

e, from silver nitrate in the weather thread:
https://twitter.com/pod4g/status/1133185644241543168

Holy poo poo. Some people really need to get their life priorities in order.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DizzyBum posted:

Holy poo poo. Some people really need to get their life priorities in order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alarm_fatigue is a thing. There is so many weather alerts it really does become background noise and it is hard to know that this or that one is the real one instead of the 50 small craft advisory warnings and flood warnings for places you don't live. And like clearly people should care about every alarm but that is what the concept of alarm fatigue is, once everything is marked top level important nothing is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alarm_fatigue is a thing. There is so many weather alerts it really does become background noise and it is hard to know that this or that one is the real one instead of the 50 small craft advisory warnings and flood warnings for places you don't live. And like clearly people should care about every alarm but that is what the concept of alarm fatigue is, once everything is marked top level important nothing is.

That's a real thing but it has nothing to do with people being angry that a Tornado Warning interrupted their TV show, so I'm at a loss for why you decided to bring it up.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

PT6A posted:

That's a real thing but it has nothing to do with people being angry that a Tornado Warning interrupted their TV show, so I'm at a loss for why you decided to bring it up.

It applies here, if you're the sort of person who hears the alarms all the time for non-emergencies or distant emergencies (like how I had to turn off emergency weather alerts on my phone because they're frequently for the coast, and I live 100 miles inland), you're probably not gonna notice when an actual emergency happens.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

1992 A true EBS activation during the riots after the Rodney King trial, complete with the poo poo radio that every emergency service has:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4JnrJOKC8w

Heads up, the guy who uploaded this is apparently a racist rear end in a top hat with his use of "dindu nuffin" in the description.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

It applies here, if you're the sort of person who hears the alarms all the time for non-emergencies or distant emergencies (like how I had to turn off emergency weather alerts on my phone because they're frequently for the coast, and I live 100 miles inland), you're probably not gonna notice when an actual emergency happens.

And the midwest lately has had loads of tornado warnings, to the point where the entire state of OK was in in a tornado watch. These things don't actually hit a whole lot of ground relatively unlike a hurricane, so it's easy to get a lot of alerts for something that isn't affecting you.

Complaining about it interrupting your show is pretty obnoxious though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PT6A posted:

There is 19 weather alerts in tulsa since yesterday, and similar amounts the 18th and the 19th and all sorts of other days, and more in counties around tulsa. Alarm fatigue isn't that the alarms aren't real or aren't important, but that once there is enough important alarms people can't react in any way but counting them as the normal and then someone needs to make a double extra special double alarm to get the same "this is serious" reaction the original alarms originally got even when it is serious, because that level of alarm is the new baseline. Even if all the alarms are real people still tune out the 50th one they hear, even if the reason there is 50 is because 50 actual bad thing happened. Kansas seems to have 71 separate weather alerts in the last 24 hours right now. from hail to tornados to flooding to strong winds.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Growing up my broadcast area was huge; I got tons of flash flood to Tornado warnings for areas far to the east of me. I get what you’re saying but the fatigue thing is definitely related.

It’s like snow closings for school districts or government. I don’t envy the people who have to make calls at 3am before a noon event may or may not hit—you can’t please everyone. Haters gonna hate.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Of all the fake EAS scenarios out there on Youtube, I think this one is my favorite. Hard to explain without spoiling it, but it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ujfAvcIh4

Unfortunately there's a hell of a lot of really really loving bad EAS scenarios and parodies out there. Also a bunch of "Caillou Makes A Fake EAS And Gets Grounded" videos I don't know what the gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fake+eas+grounded

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

Unfortunately there's a hell of a lot of really really loving bad EAS scenarios and parodies out there. Also a bunch of "Caillou Makes A Fake EAS And Gets Grounded" videos I don't know what the gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA1ozrioWMY

I think the idea is that these super low quality mass produced youtube kids videos already used robot voices so they are going through all the different situations that use robot voices just anyway.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
nah those aren't bot videos, they're basically little kid shitposts

they used to mostly use GoAnimate but then that died, so I'm not sure what they're using nowadays

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hell yes this thread rules. I've always loved weird TV ephemera.

This is probably my favorite fake EAS video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c66w6fVqOI

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm making a few updates to the OP, including finally getting the international post fleshed out.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Heads up, the guy who uploaded this is apparently a racist rear end in a top hat with his use of "dindu nuffin" in the description.

Son of a bitch, I never read YouTube descriptions. I'll dig around for a different real EBS activation that's not weather related, but those are few and far between.

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 3, 2019

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Last week when we had some heavy rain over here in New Jersey, I was at work when my phone made the EAS Warning Tone From Hell. As did the other two pharmacy techs' phones.

And my pharmacist's phone. And her Apple Watch.

And the customer standing in line to pick up medicine's phone.

And the customer in the drive-thru's phone. Over her car stereo, thank you very much Bluetooth.

Hearing that "VORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP" seven times in twenty seconds was a bit unnerving, I have to admit. Then it got funny because one tech didn't acknowledge her phone, so it kept making the EAS tone.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Snorb posted:

Last week when we had some heavy rain over here in New Jersey...

I was driving to see the USAF Museum in Dayton in the middle of a torrential downpour through 3/4 of the length of Ohio. About halfway through, with visibility of about 1/8 of a mile, the EAS tone blares on my phone...to warn me about potential flash flooding in the area I had no intention of staying in. Given the severity weather I was thinking tornado or *hail*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe the EAS warning wasn't about the rain but to warn you that you were actually in New Jersey?