Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh man, this poo poo.

So I did college radio for a while, and one of the things we had to do was take a test. A good... third of it was dedicated to day to day operations, like "how do you take meter readings", "what to do if the computer crashes", etc.

The rest was solely on EAS. How to use the transceiver, what to do when EAS went off, how to do the weekly test if it came up on your shift, etc. By law in the US, you're required to monitor several counties for severe weather alerts (which is really all you're concerned about, and this was the era before Amber Alerts, so I don't know how those are handled). The most annoying thing was if there is a tornado and/or severe thunderstorm warning in any of those counties, and the station was manned, you had to remain manned until those warnings cleared.

So let's flashback a few years. It's the summer, and in the upper Midwest, that's storm season for us. The entire area is covered in watches. We're doing our usually 4 or so hours on air to pass the time and shoot poo poo in the station, and we're keeping a close eye on things. First warning comes down. Then another. Another. We're all groaning because now we have to stay on air until this system passes over our region.

And then it happens. All warnings in the area are cleared. We quickly cut the music, announce we're going off air, and shut down. As soon as we shut down the transceiver starts printing another warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Did EAS get activated for 9/11?

Not nationally, it was close though if they couldn't get a hold of W.

The only national activation has been for four tests, the most recent one in October. The three previous ones were via traditional means, first happening in 2011 (with some issues), then 2016 and 2017. The October one was unique because it also involved cell phone testing for the first time.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 24, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hockles posted:

The October one was where we all got a Text from (The President), right? Which of course lead to many many memes.

Yes. It was originally scheduled for September but got pushed back a month due to a hurricane.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

:stonklol:

At least if my phone is set to full silent (which it is, always, unless I know my family is trying to get ahold of me; I have a smart watch for notifications), AMBER Alerts don't push through audibly.

You can actually disable Amber Alerts. Or at least on Samsung phones you can.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uEgiswlryc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's see how many fuckheads whine in Dayton and Columbus tonight.

e, from silver nitrate in the weather thread:
https://twitter.com/pod4g/status/1133185644241543168

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 28, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

At the national level, who decides what message to send and when to send it?

Depends. There's a lot of laws outlining when one can be sent, but if POTUS wants to send one, regardless of content, I think they can. The others have defined use.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I remember the code for our EAS unit was really simple, but thankfully all it could do was weekly tests.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

Flash flooding is a pretty big danger when you're driving, though, so I don't mind a warning for that. I got one of those warnings the other day, and I revised my route to not involve any underpasses, because I've seen a lot of those flood very, very quickly around here. Hail will piss me off and potentially damage my car, flash flooding can strand me in the middle of a storm in a very dangerous situation.

It's this. Flash flood could easily also submerge your car depending on the river that's overflowing. There's a drat good reason why they push "turn around, don't drown" with flooded roads. You don't know how deep the water is and how fast it's moving.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Similar to the Weather Channel making names for vague winter storms, Sinclair Broadcasting made up :siren: CODE RED DAYS :siren:. Weatherman Joe Crain of WCIS Springfield, Illinois had enough, complained on air, and has been fired:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/media/joe-crain-sinclair-code-red/index.html

Weather Channel can be dumb at times, but they do do a good job at explaining the dangers of storms. They had a pretty good video on lightning dangers, including "yeah, bolts from the blue are a thing, don't risk it."

It was in the vein of this:
https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1040346339610124288
(the comments and replies are "oh man this is fear mongering" followed by "Dude, I was in Houston when a storm like this hit. IT'S NO loving JOKE.")

So yeah, they can do some really good work in terms of visualizing why this poo poo is dangerous. Other times they like to be a bit too much.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 15, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mooseontheloose posted:

I once heard an amber alert at 2 am driving home from a friends house, music full blast and then

*BWRAAA BWRAAA*

and its freaky. No helped by the fact the alert sounded like it was being broadcast from the last bunker to survive a nuclear holocaust. At least it wasn't the automated weather station voice which feels like it will continue to broadcast weather stations long after humanity is gone.

I feel like 90% of Amber Alerts are "Oh the kid is at Grandma's and we forgot about it!"

It's a well intentioned law, no doubt, but it's highly prone to false positives (also I want to see the statistics on the racial breakdown of amber alerts, namely "who gets more coverage").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The one thing about EAS is the fact that when it goes off, there are very few things like it. You KNOW what that sound is, and it will always grab your attention.