Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
I know there were a few goons who have had fairly good experience working in this industry.

Have a lot of questions regarding working in Europe in particular, but North Africa and the Middle East as well for offshore/onshore work. First and foremost, how difficult is it? I have some experience in the industry, but only within U.S. boundaries. Hopefully this gets picked up on, need a thorough discussion on this and google is not helping. If you know of anyone who might be informed with this, feel free to let me know as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I don't know if it's relevant for you, but I work on a ship that serves production platforms in the Danish part of the North Sea. Dont know much about the actual oil/gas production though.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Many of the certifications for working offshore are the same as maritime jobs? NEBOSH, HUET, FUET... ? Did you have to get these yourself, or did the firm send you? I know from previous experience most safety certifications didn’t mean to much, as the company always sent you to their own program whether or not you were up to date.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

ganglysumbia posted:

Many of the certifications for working offshore are the same as maritime jobs? NEBOSH, HUET, FUET... ? Did you have to get these yourself, or did the firm send you? I know from previous experience most safety certifications didn’t mean to much, as the company always sent you to their own program whether or not you were up to date.

Nah, the only one of those I know is HUET, which I've got. But yeah, I'm quite sure any company will pay for all that.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anyway to get into this industry in Northern/Western Europe would be amazing. I had to leave the Netherlands in 2014 without getting in due to the downturn. Now I'm on the government side of OG in California. Would love to go back.