Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Skreemer posted:

Motorsport: Welcome to Texas Motor Speedway

Funnily enough TMS was on my mind when I suggested a motorsports location. I go out that way all the time on weekend rides but I've never actually ridden up to the track facilities.

I love having Buc-ee's so close though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

FBS posted:

Funnily enough TMS was on my mind when I suggested a motorsports location. I go out that way all the time on weekend rides but I've never actually ridden up to the track facilities.

I love having Buc-ee's so close though

It helped me find that one tank of gas with "no bars" showing on the 390 is about 125 miles.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Welcome to sunny Finland and a really old still standing stone bridge

Story goes that it was built to solve an argument who should repair the old wooden bridge that lead to the old Sipoo church. So instead the senate mandated a durable stone bridge to be made.

Also look at the railings, theyre made from railroad tracks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Beaten by half an hour but I'm gonna post the pic anyway.

No cool bridge story here, just that another bridge got built in a less loving stupid spot and they're letting this one rot away.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 5, 2020

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Its a much better photo for sure, love the nature there.

For next challenge, post a photo of your bike in the most remote place youve taken it to.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Patrocclesiastes posted:

For next challenge, post a photo of your bike in the most remote place youve taken it to.

Badlands National Park, South Dakota. Since I live in Massachusetts, this is unequivocally the most remote place I’ve ever ridden to.

Take a picture of your bike at a gigantic shopping center.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Strife posted:

Take a picture of your bike at a gigantic shopping center.

How about the formerly largest mall in the world?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

McTinkerson posted:

How about the formerly largest mall in the world?

is the striping on the wall actually stripes or is it some artifact of aliasing?

and pick the next challenge! 😁

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

ay caramba, that helmet

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

televiper posted:

is the striping on the wall actually stripes or is it some artifact of aliasing?

and pick the next challenge! 😁

Those are steel panels that change rotation with the wind.

Your bike in front of your favorite local/family owned restaurant. Bonus points if it's the same country's cuisine where your bike was manufactured.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 9, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Bonus points if it's the same country's cuisine where your bike was manufactured.

I'm going to sit this round out

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've never had an Indonesian meal in my life.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I’m going to do this one even if someone gets there first because our town has, without a doubt, the best-named restaurant.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

You're missing out - nasi goreng is tasty AF, as is every other Indonesian food I've ever tried.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Wait, my Honda is from Taiwan I think, can I not go to my favorite ramen place?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If I get a chance to, I have a place to which to go tomorrow. But we will see if The Big Storm demolishes everything before then.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

You need some beef rendang.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well it sounds like I have to bone up on my bike’s heritage through an elaborate series of restaurant stops. Shame about the plague :[

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
McDonalds is probably the Harley Davidson of food so I can probably sit this one out. Unless I get back to my Ducati before someone gets a shot and I can take it to the North End in Boston.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Here is my bike in front of the Chicago Kalbi Restaurant, which is one of my favorite places in the city.

It's not fully Japanese, but it is run by a husband and wife (mom and pop? idr), one of whom is Korean, and the other Japanese. They are very nice people. The food is really great, and they have hundreds of photos of pro baseball players that have visited the place.

Next: a photo in front of a(n art) sculpture that is bigger than your bike.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 11, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dennis Oppenheim's Device To Root Out Evil

He made, I think, at least three of them? There's one in Mallorca, one possibly in Venice, and this one started out in Vancouver

Also there is a ZRX

How about... See if you can get a picture with a horse. Carousel horses acceptable. Cows, llamas or alpacae also cool.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Okay, I said I was going to do the restaurant one so here it is. The Great Impasta. And yes, the bike is technically Italian, despite the brand.

And here’s a horse, way back in the distance

Next up: your bike at a wastewater treatment plant.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

ought ten posted:

Next up: your bike at a wastewater treatment plant.

This is right across the street from an animal shelter if you want to adopt a cat that smells like farts.

Your bike at an ASPCA/animal shelter. Bonus points if you post a photo of a pet you adopted from that shelter.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

I raced out so we could get a Scrambler double post. I didn't get my cats or dogs from this Humane Society but it's so close to my house I had to whip over.

Your bike in front of the oldest, most historic, or old-fashioned building near you. Like a vintage theatre, diner, I don't know. I just like old-timey stuff.

Jcam fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 25, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

sorry to break up the scrambler crew (I WILL have a svartpilen 701 sooner than later) :(

my bike as close as you can get to the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loveless_Cafe during quarantine since it is currently to go only next door at the gas station lol:

hams & jams store lol:

show me your bike next to your campsite!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Quote from the Motocamping Thread with a bike/tent shot.

my turn in the barrel posted:

Finally got to ride/camp around lake Michigan this weekend. Found some neat places to camp and had a great time.

I typed up a trip report but awfulapp crashed uploading the pics and ate my post. I threw everything into an IG pinned story if anyone is interested.

http://instagram.com/Matthewfrancisphoto

Map Link
https://rever.app.link/dLGsjGcfD9

As for the next challenge.

I was inspired to ride around the Lake for 2 reasons.

1. A resident of my hometown rode a lawn tractor around the lake to raise money for the soccer team he was coaching at the time. While he completed the ride I don't think he hit the projected funding goal and the trip was full of setbacks. (Mower was governed at 5mph not the 6 the dealer promised. Mackinac bridge would not allow a mower to cross etc...) Locals referred to it derisively as "The Mistake Around the Lake"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1998-06-29-9806290132-story.html

2. Infamous Cycle Asylum Poster Tsaven Nava used it as a warmup trip for his Continental US/Alaska :a2m: tour. Then it came out he was a POS and he was banned.

Continuing the theme: Post your bike next to something regarded as an Epic Failure or Infamous.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Continuing the theme: Post your bike next to something regarded as an Epic Failure

Are selfies with your bike allowed? I'm asking for a friend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the Goldwing didn’t have a flat front tire I’d cruise over to Harley HQ

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Continuing the theme: Post your bike next to something regarded as an Epic Failure or Infamous.

This is the World's Littlest Skyscraper, in Wichita Falls, Texas. It is, if anything, even smaller than it looks in the picture.

In the 1910s, oil was discovered in nearby Burkburnett and the entire area experienced an oil boom. The story goes that an oilman and developer named J.D. McMahon got a group of investors together to build a high-rise office building in booming downtown Wichita Falls. None of these investors examined the blueprints as closely as they should have, and when the building was completed McMahon skipped town like Lyle Lanley.

The blueprints were measured in inches, not feet. Instead of a 480' skyscraper what the investors had actually paid for was a ten-foot-wide, eighteen-foot-long, 480" (40-foot) high, glorified stairwell.

Apparently there was enough demand for office space that oil companies actually crammed a few desks inside it, but before long the oil boom was over and the Great Depression was not far behind. It sat empty for decades. Somehow never got demolished, or knocked over by a tornado, and by the 80s the city realized it was worth preserving and eventually had it renovated. These days, it's part of an antique and consignment store located in the attached building and mostly serves as a tourist attraction and an amusing anecdote in an otherwise extremely boring and unremarkable city.

Continuing that theme: post your bike next to anything that's considered a "local legend" and tell us the tale.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyh1Va_mYWI

I read about the Wichita Falls skyscraper for the first time the other day, somewhere on the forums I think.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

In 1860 a bunch of english dipshits tried to improve this part of the country by bringing properly english things here and letting them go. Rabbits, for instance, which immediately started eating all the sheep feed and ringbarking trees. There were plenty of loving bad ideas for fixing that, including "derp let's release foxes to eat the rabbits yeah gently caress yeah what could go wrong" (spoiler alert: everything), and then the same thing with dogs, in the hope that they'd eat the foxes and the rabbits, but they instead immediately went feral and started eating sheep.

Which brings us to the Netting Fence, which was supposed to keep the rabbits to the south and the foxes and dogs to the north somehow. It was built in the straightest possible line along the 36th parallel because of made-up reasons including "it rains more to the south of that".

I'm not 100% sure that this counts: The fence is mostly gone but exists as a series of roadside markers, because despite that it didn't work (at all, in that there have still been foxes and rabbits on both sides of it ever since it was built), it is regarded as a success, presumably because nothing else interesting has ever happened within a hundred kilometers of it to either side.

e: Oh god loving drat it! Missed it by an hour again.

e2: Did it not attach? Here it is on imgur

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 11, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Well post the picture at least!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

In 1860 a bunch of english dipshits tried to improve this part of the country by bringing properly english things here and letting them go. Rabbits, for instance, which immediately started eating all the sheep feed and ringbarking trees. There were plenty of loving bad ideas for fixing that, including "derp let's release foxes to eat the rabbits yeah gently caress yeah what could go wrong" (spoiler alert: everything), and then the same thing with dogs, in the hope that they'd eat the foxes and the rabbits, but they instead immediately went feral and started eating sheep.

Which brings us to the Netting Fence, which was supposed to keep the rabbits to the south and the foxes and dogs to the north somehow. It was built in the straightest possible line along the 36th parallel because of made-up reasons including "it rains more to the south of that".

I'm not 100% sure that this counts: The fence is mostly gone but exists as a series of roadside markers, because despite that it didn't work (at all, in that there have still been foxes and rabbits on both sides of it ever since it was built), it is regarded as a success, presumably because nothing else interesting has ever happened within a hundred kilometers of it to either side.

e: Oh god loving drat it! Missed it by an hour again.

e2: Did it not attach? Here it is on imgur

This is awesome.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is awesome.

colonial_australia dot tee ex tee

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Weird, I knew about the No1 fence (aka rabbit proof fence) but didn’t know about the netting fence.

There seems to be very little info on it too

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

Weird, I knew about the No1 fence (aka rabbit proof fence) but didn’t know about the netting fence.

Yep, I think everyone would rather forget it. It's the original border between two fire districts, but now they even say "XYZ road" instead of "the mesh fence" like they used to.

E: And like maybe it's cultural but I'm always way more amazed by stuff like the littlest skyscraper than by "englishmen gently caress up farming".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 11, 2020

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Probably because Englishmen gently caress up farming is just a common nearly day to day theme in AU/NZ.

Hate something in wildlife? It can probably be traced back to the English.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo that simpsons episode was based on real history

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo that simpsons episode was based on real history

Pretty sure that was based on the cane beetle > cane toad thing, which happened about 60 years later in a completely different part of the country and still regularly produces the occasional nutcase who wants to introduce another animal to fix it, or feed small toads to lizards so they build an immunity to the poison and will then be able to eat bigger toads without dying, or whatever other obviously insane scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Horse Clocks posted:

I had definitely heard of the rabbit fence before but I wasn't sure it was different from the netting fence.

How many fences did you upside-down bastards build?