Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like how much emphasis was put on knowing your opponent and how they think, but none of the final fights involved that.

—-
That aside, it’s fascinating how many different character-plates they keep spinning. I forgot that hawk & Dimitri went to school by the time we see them go back there. The people who run the tournament, the guy at the minimart…

This used to be the Johnny Lawrence and Daniel LaRusso show, and as the universe expands you say what they are starting to realize, that the world is bigger their grudge.

—-
I had a lot of sympathy for Silver. He seemed like he was trying to teach karate as a decent, direct and efficient sport, and at worst a business, and Kreese repeatedly undermined and psychologically abused him. Martin Kove gets the least sympathy out of all the main characters, all we get are his flashbacks and they weren’t any real ones this season. He’s still mostly the guy he was in karate kid 1. He has such a screen presence that you get nervous whenever he’s doing something, even standing on the mats.
I think their relationship would it be more interesting if the preview picture for the season wasn’t then at the All Valley.
—-
I really liked Robby’s arc this season. It’s amazing that the show keeps going back to the well of “a nerd needs to learn karate“, but they do it differently every time and it has different consequences every time.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean every teen character on the show besides moon has learned karate at this point.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Robbie doesn’t admit he’s wrong until he’s proved wrong. He stayed with his lovely criminal friends until they tried to attack him. He attacks Miguel whenever Miguel touches Tori, even though Miguel only does it to stop Tori and Sam from fighting.

Robbie didn’t just fail the person was mentoring, he failed his prison buddy. And in that failure, he thought about all his mentors, including his dad.

So after losing the big tournament to the guy who snuck attack him the year before, he’s completely unsure about what karate even means.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

What other cheese-tacular movie series of similar quality could sustain a really good 5 season episodic TV show adaptation like this? I guess you'd need teenage protagonists to start with. Totally drawing a blank.

Saved by the bell is just as good of reboot, but replace the karate fights with ludicrous costumes and stunts. And it was multiple TV series.
(“Back when you were in college...”
“Yeah, the college years. Doesn’t everyone call it that?)

It’s anchored by amazing adult actors, amazing child actors, and an urge to deconstruct what exactly the original show was about, and what it felt like. (“Step three of the teen line… Relax with a refreshing taste of crystal Pepsi?”)

I think these two are the best shows of the reboot era.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Were they, though?

They weren’t rebuked! It’s interesting that stingray took the most verbal abuse of any fighter this season. He tried descalating repeatedly. Then he encountered one of the people from the karate kid universe, ‘the guy who pushes you until you beat their rear end’.
If things preceded, it’s likely he would face the consequences of those actions. But him being popular with kids doesn’t, within the language of the show, make him a winner. All his “friends“ didn’t even tell him about the eagle fang split.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The tournaments 18 and under, despite some of the tournaments stunt people looking like full adults.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

She was in first position for a smokey and the bandit reboot

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s a joke about how everything in Hollywood is a reboot

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Netflix’s aftershow out but weirdly it’s a summary of season three, not season four.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

While it's good they didn't go that way, I did find the Chuck E. Cheese but with real people restaurant a bit weird, but they could well be a thing, I don't know.

Party princesses are big in LA, although they typically go to events people host and aren’t in a central location. But I haven’t been to a lot of children’s birthday parties in the last five years.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If she was in a strip club, the only person she would run into is season one Johnny.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Vitruvian Manic posted:

The biggest problem with trying to hang out with 17 year olds is that they want to hang out with other 17 year olds, amirite?

Thankfully, you can sometimes find someone who is truly mature and unlike the other kids their age...

I thought this was the other thread discussing Chapo, lol

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

He’s been sticking up for Tori before silver came around though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Terry isn’t just about money. He’s already rich. He wants students to be smart and evil, which is why his main teaching scene is rope-a-doping sensei Kreese. He outsmarted him because he knew Robbie couldn’t beat up Kevin.

He also kicks many peoples asses because brutality is an important part of Cobra Kai.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It could be the last season isn’t about the tournament.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Rewatched KK1 a few nights ago and it's funny how Johnny Lawrence hands the winning trophy to LaRusso at the end of the movie with tears in his eyes and says "You're alright, LaRusso. You're the best." Seemingly ok with the outcome.

JUST WAIT 30 YEARS, JOHNNY.

I’m sure this was color by the events immediately following in the parking lot

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think it’s a nice twist at the ending the season without a huge new plot line. Johnny throwing his phone in the ocean, Miguel leaving to find his father, Kreese being back, all big finales. This one provides a definitive win, and even had a fake out of it being a season about a tournament!

I don’t see Terry Silver being Trump at all. Self-made physically fit man who cares about other cultures and fought in a war?

I do like that he’s enough of a scumbag that he took over dojo during Shabbat. Normally on the serious when I say “this guy is an unstoppable menace“ they’re over selling it but this guy on another show would be throwing meteors at earth.

Now I’m imagining Cobra Kai versus the belters.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The only English she speaks is evil cliché phrases.
If they give her any character development I’m sure she will be more interesting, although Tori accusing her of child abuse as a visiting foreign national could easily let them write her off the show.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Stingray didn’t entirely cause the fall of M-D K. Even without Kreese they would’ve cheated and won the tournament.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

One in 12 people in America live in LA County. We definitely have people like stingray

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think timeline wise cobra Kai is still in 2018, definitely pre-Covid.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Smythe posted:

i want a tiny glasses twerp subplot b/c he reminds me of me. remember when they were having the crazy duel in the larusso house and all the kids paired off with their other team palette swap version? lmao

Dale?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Furniture’s bad boy. Also the insurance payout could be taking a long rear end time

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Riverdale has aliens, serial killers, parallel universes and bizarre continuity. It isn’t half as contained within the original as cobra. The main gimmick of cobra is “you can solve many of life‘s problems with karate.”

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Peacemaker is cobra Kai without kids. It’s also about a stunted man child who respects the masculinity of the 80s.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Jennifer would love to do it, the actor sells suits in studio city and is a heavy duty evangelist. She’s cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

it’s 80s movie logic, which the show often operates on. I’m sure the rest of cobra Kai, been foreign nationals, won’t be able to stay out of prison for all of next season.