Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I have been championing the final fight of season 2 as one of the best tv brawls of all time since it aired.

It blew my mind to see some folks complaining about it, but a lot of them don’t realize this show operates on 80’s action movie rules where martial arts are the cause of and solution to all life’s problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Narcissus1916 posted:

Help, I've lost my mind - I think the cobra kai school fight might actually be better than Daredevil's hallway fight. Just a staggering 10 minute set piece, and relatively seamless switching of actors and stunt doubles

That's valid. It doesn't mean DD's fight isn't really good, but I think the CK fight is a bit more technically impressive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kumiko followed the trend of Daniel being with girls way out of his league, but admittedly anybody's dreamy when Peter Cetera's playing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is impressive Martin Kove does not age so much as just weather.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Bee posted:

I think a 3 to get Johnny and Daniel on the same page followed by and a 4 to prove they're ending the series in a better place than they started is a smart plan. A Season 5'd undoubtedly stretch it, though.

Also traditionally Netflix gets twitchy the further you get past two seasons, but now that I say that did Netflix have any money in season three? If not they might want a season five (which would be, I dunno, the Bad Boy of Karate Mike Barnes season).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also known as sexy dance fighting. (Cf: Bob's Burgers.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Utgardaloki posted:

martial arts don't develop in a vacuum, and MA vs MA isn't like the ultimate test of practicality.

I think early UFC taught us that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Early UFC was awesome because it did show what worked and what didn't. My favorite was the boxer that showed up and fought with one boxing glove on.

Let us also toast the valor of Fred Ettish, who found out his high level strip mall karate was mostly good for keeping kids off the street for a few hours and that he eventually got his MMA win many years later.

TheCenturion posted:

Didn't it basically come down to 'stamina, and a willingness to actually hurt your opponent?'

Certainly that worked for Tank Abbot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

isaboo posted:

Tank is a good example of how being from the dojo of Big and Mean can be effective

See also Goodridge comma Gary.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ilmucche posted:

Counterpoint: Bob sapp

There's exceptions to every rule.

And thinking about it even Big Daddy ran into somebody almost as big, definitely meaner and actually knew how to fight in Don Frye.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Well, that's kinda the charm. It feels like an old 80s-90s TV show, only updated to the present day.

Also with the 80's action movie trope of all problems both caused and solved by karate!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

My dude, I just watched season 1 and even Johnny's flashback shows that he was the bad guy.

Yeah, the show is saying now that roles are now reversed and Daniel isn't coming off the best. The first movie has Johnny acting like an abusive ex about the moment he hits the screen along with three counts of at the least aggravated assault.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Also I watched all 3 karate kid movies to prepare for this show and it is hilarious how unceremoniously each of Daniel's love interests are disposed of off-screen at the start of 2 and 3 so he can have increasingly boring new romantic subplots. Ali was the only interesting one so it's good that she's still a presence in the show.

Daniel does tend to have girls out of his league fall for him with alarming regularity. Third’s saying she has a boyfriend back home she’s going to try again with is the much more likely outcome.

I kind of want them to talk about Part 3 more just so they can try and give context for cartoon supervillain Terry Silver Master of the Quicksilver Method and Bad Boy of Karate Mike Barnes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Soccer moms but for combat sports' was a thing I'd never considered before.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kunabomber posted:

I dunno, he was the one that turned a festival into a death match

It's true. He comes swinging into the bon dance like he's Scorpion or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

KK2 rules from start to finish.

Anything rules when Peter Cetera's playing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Getting typecast as a high school bully and not being able to shake it for 30+ years must be awful. He's got major chops and should have been a bigger star.

Now, now, he also played a college bully. In other words, you're right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was kind of funny to hear Willis was apparently outraged that Kevin Smith wanted him to do something related to his character on Moonlighting. (I can see being outraged with Smith for other reasons, mind you.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

How is this show as good as it is? I ashtrays go into every season thinking it's gonna a go off the rails, then it does but in an amazing way.

Right? This is a show that in its opening dialogue has the phrase 'karate riots' and I just nod along.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pentyne posted:

Karate Kid Daniel being the real bully wasn't some popular meme thing until a few years ago right?

Yeah. We've got that from Barney of all the characters on HIMYM and apparently a lot of sites ran with a YouTube video from some content creator I never heard of because said creator apparently looked at what was happening between Ali and Johnny and Daniel stepping in, getting his rear end kicked, and thought 'yes hmm clearly it is poor Johnny who is the real victim.'

Said video also called Miyagi a 'demon sorcerer.' So. Yeah.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 3, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Asuron posted:

Forgive me if I’m misreading you , but you do know that was a joke video right?That’s why it became a meme, because it was a funny idea to entertain if you took everything happening in the movie out of context

That certainly makes more sense, but as I said I'd never heard of the guy and thus haven't watched his video but I promise you people who should know better take it seriously, like it is a Thing.

Darko posted:

The season explains it perfectly where he tries to justify ruining the weed smoking hose thing with, "I couldn't resist."

Honestly, after the aggravated assault and attempted homicide of pitching Daniel down a cliff I probably couldn't resist in some light pranking either in his shoes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nooneofconsequence posted:

Looks like it’s time for another Karate Kid III rewatch :woop:

I beg your pardon. It is ALWAYS time for the Bad Boy of Karate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

Mike Barnes is like the most generic villain name ever.

Um, he successfully bargained for a fifty percent stake in a chain of karate dojos against a multimillionaire in a bubble bath so yeah, I think he's pretty good. :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am beyond overjoyed for a new generation to learn the Quicksilver Method.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ram dass in hell posted:

karate kid 3 is one of the greatest movies ever made op and I'm jealous you get to experience it for the first time soon

I guess cocaine can explain how somebody in his late teens can bargain a multi-millionaire or more like Terry into giving up half the profits of the proposed Cobra Kai franchise, although to be fair it is probably a mistake to do any high-level deals while in a bubble bath.

Spoiled because I want our goon friend to go into that movie as fresh as a daisy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darko posted:

It's so bad it's good, mainly from Silva hamming it up. Not sure why you got the impression that it was good, good.

Karate Kid 4 is so bad It's bad, in comparison, even with Walton Goggins AND Michael Ironside

It's true. Like Karate Kid 3 is great because it's so riffable, and in fact the MST3K boys at RiffTrax have done just that for it and it's really funny but it's a bad movie I think everyone can enjoy. What's not to be delighted by? Terry gives The Bad Boy of Karate Mike Barnes two henchpeople in Dennis and Sssssnake who I remind the court if you want to be bad in LA, Sssssnake's the one to be bad with. Terry's profession of making and/or possibly just dumping chloride sludge in South American countries. Daniel somehow thinking the business name Mr. Miyagi's Little Trees was direct and catchy when it is none of those things. THE QUICKSILVER METHOD. (I firmly believe the Method is something they found in a copy of Black Belt Magazine, just renamed.)

Karate Kid 4 though, no, it's just bad. They actually spend more time picking out a dress for the lead character than they do fighting. The lead villain is, to quote a funny YouTube video on the subject, what would happen if Johnny and Mike Barnes had a baby and you dropped it on its head.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flesnolk posted:

It's a little hard to buy an entire metro area being so obsessed with high school point karate though, especially when MMA exists. Cobra Kai feels more like a dojo that would compete full contact, Kyokushin style, anyway.

They sort of explain that likening to how karate in the 80's in the Valley was like football in Texas and it's just like that again now. It's fine. Karate is the source of and solution to the series' problems.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robobot posted:

Yeah, kinda like the Tori putting on makeup scene. You’re thinking “oh come on, please don’t make her a stripper” and the show swerves right at the end.

While it's good they didn't go that way, I did find the Chuck E. Cheese but with real people restaurant a bit weird, but they could well be a thing, I don't know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Stingray is an inspiration

Or at least an object lesson.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I started watching a Japanese sensei who teaches karate and reacting to the show and he pointed out some interesting stuff. What stuck out to me was he said the Miyagi-do rules were written very well and the first one translates as "There is no first attack in karate" or similar and the second is about mastering the first rule but then the big rock in the dojo's garden is apparently just gibberish.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

This sounds amazing, got a link?

Here you go! https://youtu.be/eoj7UmfaeK0

He's been doing them in chunks and is now getting down to episode by episode in Season 4.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

Also holy smokes Daniel spends the entirety of the Karate Kid 3 finale running out of bounds, until he realizes he knows karate and scores a single point in sudden death. I guess on the one hand it's way more realistic that a scrawny kid with a year or so of training in karate is naturally just going to get demolished by someone way more athletic and skilled, but I definitely prefer Cobra Kai's method of "training for a few weeks lets you do crazy movie fights complete with flying kicks and blocking a roundhouse kick from someone who has 50 pounds on you with a quick wrist flick".

It's best to judge things by Karate Kid 3's standards as little as possible. It's very odd that 'new rules' mean Daniel just gets to wait for the final challenger like he's a New Jersey Shang Tsung.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senerio posted:

I love how Terry Silver is a man with a deep layered personality. It's just that all of those layers are cartoonish supervillains.

It's funny that he's toned down in Cobra Kai from KK3 where he plays the kind of villain in a movie where the protagonists would be like a band of scrappy kindergartners. I firmly believe there's a deleted scene out there where Silver runs around in a panic with his butt having been set on fire.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't he already retired at this point?

I'd gotten the impression he had retired very wealthy from the lucrative... let me check Karate Kid 3... ah, the 'chloride sludge dumping' game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Miguel Barnes, Chico Malo de Kárate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Has season 5 been confirmed as the end?

Filming's already finished, they've said.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah it's time next Karate kid starts getting some respect

If Swank got a fight scene lasting more than about a minute and a half it would be a step up from NKK. Seriously, they spend more time picking out a dress for her formal dance.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We did at one time think Elisabeth Shue would never show up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robobot posted:

But I never watched The Next Karate Kid and will be lost if they bring her character in. Do…do I have to watch that movie now?

Okay, short version - Miyagi runs into the wife of an old war buddy who for reasons I forget has him watch her house and her troubled grandkid or niece or whatever Julie, Swank's character. Naturally Miyagi immediately tries teaching her karate in his way but she is extremely uninterested in waxing his car to learn muscle memory. Sadly at her high school are the 'Alpha Elite' which are... kind of like ROTC crossed with hall monitors as they undergo fight training (from their coach, Michael Ironsides) and mostly snitch on other students. It's very odd. The leader is of the Elite is one Ned, which is what happens when you splice the DNA from Johnny and Mike Barnes, make a baby with it, and then drop it on its head. Julie runs afoul of Ned while bonding with one member of the Elite who isn't as much of a dick and agrees to learn karate from Miyagi. Very little happens. They nurse an injured hawk back to health and set it free for symbolism. It all comes to a head at the big dance with the Elite bungie jumping in and Julie and Mr. Miyagi have a confrontation on the docks with Ned and Michael Ironsides. Both fights are over in roughly a minute and a half, which might be the total time. They visit a Buddhist monastery at one point and Miyagi catches an arrow with his hands.

It is sadly not even so bad its good in that way KK3 is, as Michael Ironsides is playing his normal character which is great but does not add as much things to a terrible story like a coked up TIG does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

The Alpha Elite were really ridiculous even by Cobra Kai standards. An American public school let some guy--I don't know if he was even a teacher--train a squad of literal blackshirts to be the School Police and beat up their fellow students for littering and cutting class. This has extremely predictable results. It's the kind of insanity you usually only see at American private schools.

It is very unclear whether Michael Ironsides is even like a gym coach or something. He just... has this little paramilitary group at school, like you do.