Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Kreese isn't emotionally capable of recognizing a distinction between transactional and sincere relationships.

I don’t buy that bro and I think you’re being willfully obtuse if you promulgate that idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
This season was literally so sick and I didn’t know who to root for during the all valley. Insanely badass. I was rooting for tori for the girls obviously but thought she was going to lose due to plot but was subverted like many other things in this insane show. 10/10. The mens final choreo was pretty sick and both of those dudes are jacked as gently caress. I got a green double stripe in middle school never made it to black like a bitch lol but I did take second in a tourney once which is pretty good for a shrimp like me imo. makes me want to get back into martial arts but I’m so old and out of shape. sad poo poo. Anyways cya

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
can’t even remember how to tie the belt anymore. big rip.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I liked when Robbie’s gi came undone kuz I remember that feel when you’re battling with some kid and after a couple throws your gi is all hosed up and it’s like “let’s loving gooooo” big feel

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
We wore the helmets and gloves and booties and such of course (tkd in the valley, the very same valley!!) and I got a lot of mileage of spam jabbing the helmet face cage which would easily stun lock opponents. Easy points. Beat this one kids rear end so bad he started crying lol. Hell yea. Cobra Kai

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
When I worked on a newspaper I had a homie who got an adult black belt and he was incredible. Could do big jump kicks and was strong and fast as hell. Whole different deal, adult and kid martial arts. Always admired him. I remember a couple times some senseis would spar and I vividly remember the sound of their gis snapping as they cracked off blows. Also the sound of their exhales and loud strong kiaps. Always loved the sound of the sleeve or pant leg fabric snapping when you threw a powerful blow.

I think it may be a little Epstein with how hard they sexualized tori and I have no idea how old the actress is but lol. That’s the entertainment industry reckon.

That concludes my annual cobra Kai meltdown thank you.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

i got an e dan in soo bahk do at 15

sounds badass

ram dass in hell posted:

the phrase "gi snapping" unlocked sense memories in me like the food critic eating the rat chef's bullshit at the end of the movie lmao

ya it bubbled up from deep in my mind and brought with it long-lost memories and emotions

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hell yes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its unbelievable how good this show is lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
end up hooting and hollering at this stupid show. this is what my life has come to

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Best show on tv easy went absolutely wild watching this as usual

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Daniel's arc is pretty hilarious in retrospect because in the first season he massively overreacts to Cobra Kai reopening, thinking that it is going to poison the brains of children and turn them into psychopathic bullies. As of season 5, it's clear he was maybe being a bit too optimistic in his fears of a teenage karate armageddon.

But seriously, season 1 Daniel is clearly in the wrong but there's also a lot of honest misunderstandings in those initial arcs. Him being a hothead who wants to confront problems head on rather than heeding Miyagi's teachings is definitely played up, but like in the original he ultimately has his heart in the right place.

After that his arc becomes somewhat muddled mainly because, again, the lesson of "maybe I shouldn't automatically assume my old rivals are all psychos planning my downfall" is immediately proven incorrect by Kreese and Silver (although Barnes being well adjusted is a welcome surprise). He doesn't have quite as clear cut an arc as Johnny who starts out like an 80s caveman so always has some room to grow and show some surprising maturity. Sometimes his lesson is "maybe I need to not be such a judgmental hothead" and then the next season its like "maybe I shouldn't be too focused on passiveness and pure defense".

Probably the biggest growth moments for him were in the last season and carried a bit into this one where he realized that just copying Miyagi's method for teaching him by rote isn't going to work on every single person, and he needs to embrace different methods, including those of his former rivals.

yes op water is wet thank you

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

soz bud i was schwasted and salty that i dont live in karate kid world

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if i was younger and in karate kid world i'd probably be the skinny twerp kid but at least he gets to hang out with the babes and hunks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cant handle the sorrow of never being able to live in karate kid world. its too much to endure. im going to cry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
shes a lucy liu style ice queen and i support her. hell consider this my enlistment into her simp army

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Spacebump posted:

They should go real wild and buy the rights to 3 Ninjas. Then let them have a dojo in the world tournament.

i would lose my mind

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
covid sucks dont like to thnk about it personally

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Its surprisingly easy to beat up children

those teens are ripped as hell and very powerful + skilled in the martial arts. i wouldn't tangle with them. a testament to cobra kais techniques how they empowered the girthy redditor to become so dangerous so quickly....

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i want a tiny glasses twerp subplot b/c he reminds me of me. remember when they were having the crazy duel in the larusso house and all the kids paired off with their other team palette swap version? lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the sbhow is godly its that easy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i dunno the kids name. hes like 4'11" and 80 lbs with glasses

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

I thought the swelling dramatic music during a pepper eating competition was a little silly, and then I got to the dramatic water slide race.

lol i had forgotten that. i liked it kuz it reminded us (the viewers) that these are still fuckin kids and the lifeguard can just kick them out. that like outside their insane karate world theyre just suburb teens lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Jackie Chan wants to make Rush Hour 4, so clearly the man is down for anything these days.

Rush hour owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Idk why ppl itt are saying the show seemed wrapped. they been hyping the international tourney and that’s clearly the finale? ???