Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
He keeps posting these great shots on Facebook and I'm trying to convince him to look into it as a gig or maybe make a book or something but he doesn't think so

he does a lot of rural/suburb exploration and finds the coolest subjects but not sure what to tell him to do about it lol

DO AN ART!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Hobbies don't have to be monetized. If your friend is OK with taking and sharing images and that's all then let them keep doing that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ReverendHammer posted:

Hobbies don't have to be monetized. If your friend is OK with taking and sharing images and that's all then let them keep doing that.

It's this, yeah. Your friend digs urbex by the look of it, I'd let them just stay the course. Tryign to turn a hobby into a job very often results in a loss of both money and love for the hobby.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
People say "you should sell these" to me sometimes, yeah like people want to buy a macro shot of a fly or a picture of a random wading bird.

Commercial photography is a totally different game to hobby photography, just because a photo is well taken doesn't mean people want to pay for it.

Generally people pay for photos of themselves or products they make, there is of course some people who have managed to get lucky and are making a living from being an artist in wildlife or whatever but that's rare and these days they are mostly selling on name.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The other thing that sells is stock photos. Mostly reference images like textures or generic stuff like 'blonde business lady in office' for stock agencies.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Something I noticed right off the bat was his lack of varying perspectives and dodge/burn stuff. This isnt bad, it just means he is still learning and shouldnt put unreasonable expectations on them regarding it. By all means though, make a book and try gigs. They wont be big gigs or best selling books, but they will have them at least. When you are following your passion, you take everything.

Practice practice practice. Making money in photography is hard. Really hard. Money shouldnt be a driving focus.

Also, dont forget your ethnocentrism to your friend. Disassociate yourself from your feelings with your friend and try to look at the photo subjectively. If it is a good photo, explain why it is. Also, dont be afraid to give critical feedback. We dont learn by getting it right the first time.

I feel they need to spend some more time in the editing program, and vary their height/perspective. Tell me a story through images, focus on what's important and get rid of the rest. I think they have a great foundation to build on and should absolutely continue to take shots. Be encouraging and always offer feedback.

This wasnt meant to sound mean so sorry if it did. Just trying to be more direct.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tell him to set his DSLR kit lens to 35mm and leave it there next time and use his feet to get things framed.

Then when he tells you to go gently caress yourself, accept he's probably more interested in just having fun and taking pictures of things he thinks look cool.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

No.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Well, I mean, they're definitely good at finding things to take photos of. The framing and positioning needs work, and some processing too. I can't really explain it well but it's fairly obvious that these are things he happened to come across and just took photos of them, rather than actively trying to take interesting photos. I've seen photos of far more bland subjects that came out looking more interesting and pleasant than those your friend took.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

smarxist posted:

He keeps posting these great shots on Facebook and I'm trying to convince him to look into it as a gig or maybe make a book or something but he doesn't think so

What makes you think you're qualified to offer this advice? If you were qualified you wouldn't have to ask here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RangerScum posted:

What makes you think you're qualified to offer this advice? If you were qualified you wouldn't have to ask here.

This.

A more interesting conversation is why OP thinks these pictures are good enough to sell.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

as a marxist, why are you trying to commodify your friend's labor?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

don't push your friend to commoditize their hobby jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm not "pushing him", i just wanted someone else's opinion about some of his photos that i thought were good

as for the rest of the story, the reason i even thought of it is that he's been on the skids sorta the past few years and has trouble holding down jobs and is kind of a vagrant, so i figured if he could find a way to make some money doing what he's passionate about it'd be a good fit for him, but uhh yeah thread kinda went off the rails i guess! closing. sorry.