Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Satisfying sound effects are very important to an engaging combat experience. That's why in our game, when you connect with an attack, it sounds like a faint, wet slap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Okay if y'all aren't going to use Keyblade Krew for your LP group then I call dibs.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Okay if y'all aren't going to use Keyblade Krew for your LP group then I call dibs.
They're more like the Keyblade Kops if you ask me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

While I don't particularly care who these kids Sora is hanging out with are or why he starting hanging with them, I do appreciate the kid who's a walking billboard for The Bouncer.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dog Street for life, bro.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Seriously - in the franchise where we've already established that they can draw from the entire library of FF protagonists to fill random character slots like Tidus+Wakka, or Leon Squallheart & Aeris... why are these three original-characters-do-not-steal here? Who the gently caress are they, and why should we care? Did Nomura just have some more terrible kid designs to get paid for?

Are they meant to be a fake-out, like, we're supposed to assume these generic NPC-types are going to be our new posse as we follow definitely-new-protagonist Roxas through the entirety of our KHII experience?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ghost of Starman posted:

Seriously - in the franchise where we've already established that they can draw from the entire library of FF protagonists to fill random character slots like Tidus+Wakka, or Leon Squallheart & Aeris... why are these three original-characters-do-not-steal here? Who the gently caress are they, and why should we care? Did Nomura just have some more terrible kid designs to get paid for?

Are they meant to be a fake-out, like, we're supposed to assume these generic NPC-types are going to be our new posse as we follow definitely-new-protagonist Roxas through the entirety of our KHII experience?
Kingdom Hearts 2 and the various side-games that came out between 1 and 3 were basically the point they decided "actually, gently caress the Square part, our original story and characters with the occasional sprinkling of Disney properties is where this should go"

Which, I mean some people are unhealthily obsessed with the original plot so I guess it achieved the desired effect

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

They're more like the Keyblade Kops if you ask me.

steams coming out my ears. gonna be angrily posting in c-spam tonight to disprove this troll

Ghost of Starman posted:

i think theyre cool

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Pretzel >>> Watermelon don't @ me

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Isn't Dog Street a The Bouncer reference

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bony tony posted:

Isn't Dog Street a The Bouncer reference
you're goddamn right it is

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's been almost a week, but my mind's still blown over the fact you have these interdimensional beings that are petty enough to steal some kids' pocket money.

Imagine if X-Com was founded in response to an epidemic of aliens accosting civilians in restrooms and giving them swirlies.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Tbf they steal the kids money because they're too lazy to actually create a beach for them to go to.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

Tbf they steal the kids money because they're too lazy to actually create a beach for them to go to.

Oh, that makes more sense (honest). I like that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They just really wanted some sea salt ice cream.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

red mummy man was on a dead line, couldnt get all the models done in time and unfortunately the pesky union wont let him die in front of a keyboard. very sad.

speaking of very sad, let's destroy all our friends at the struggle tournament:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Amazing, I didn't realize this was also a sequel to Majora's Mask!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is something hilarious that they call Tidus tee-das in KH1, but Selphie calls him tye-dus here.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

From my very limited knowledge of the Kingdom Hearts storyline, they sure love rehashing entire plots of games. Sora had to redo all of KH1 in Chain of Memories, and now it seems like he forgot about Kairi's existence again. That makes the constant insanity of the series plot that much more impressive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, Kingdom Hearts really hosed Ansem up. First he was destroying worlds trying to attain everlasting darkness by opening Kingdom Hearts and now here he is stealing Munny off a kid trapped in the Matrix.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I'm already foaming at the mouth with how dumb this all is. I salute you and your brave contribution to society, Otaku Trash Machine.

Unrelated, but: holy poo poo I somehow only now realized Seifer's* name was supposed to be, like... y'know, "Cypher." Which is pretty much Peak Tryhard Nerd OC naming, there (other than maybe "Shadow" and/or "Zero").

*I somehow got through multiple FF8 LPs and still read/pronounced it as See-fer. :shrug:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It's actually Cipher from an obscure series called Metal Gear Solid.

Major Zero is a child anime now.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Neurion posted:

Major Zero is a child anime now.

...Expecting Konami to give the MGS franchise the ol' Kingdom Hearts treatment any day now. Maybe they can partner the videogame characters up with, like, Warner Bros. cartoons, gently caress it.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

is this update fact or fiction? could the loathsome force of four nerds talking over a jrpg truly exist? find out whether its true or not on tonight's episode of Let's Play Kingdom Hearts 2.

gotcha. we made it up!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Seifer really is the best character.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Namine is such an rear end in a top hat!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This number contains
THE PICTURE OF G. G. "GOOFY" GOOF
by Tetsuya Nomura

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Could you imagine playing this game without Chain of Memories? This opening would be so rough

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Could you imagine playing this game without Chain of Memories? This opening would be so rough

I don't even have to imagine, I came into this straight from KH1 and didn't even realize that the GBA one wasn't just a lovely spinoff.
This opening sucked a metric ton of rear end and then I ended up dropping the game by the first or second world because this really long opening act bullshit basically burned me out on the bullshit I was willing to take from the game.

Though, in the end I'm glad I did drop it because yeesh this story.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Suddenly that MC Pee pants joke about "IT'S BEEN A WEEK AND NOT EVEN A SEBASTIAN THE CRAB" make sense now.

At least things HAPPENED in the bouncer, this is just a slice of life anime with no jokes

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Geemer posted:

I don't even have to imagine, I came into this straight from KH1 and didn't even realize that the GBA one wasn't just a lovely spinoff.
This opening sucked a metric ton of rear end and then I ended up dropping the game by the first or second world because this really long opening act bullshit basically burned me out on the bullshit I was willing to take from the game.

Though, in the end I'm glad I did drop it because yeesh this story.

I had the exact same experience except I don't even know if I got through any of the worlds.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Geemer posted:

I had somehow never even heard of Chain of Memories when I picked up KH2.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Does anything ever happen in this bideo jame? Or is it just overdesigned ps2 puppets farting around over a 30-second loop forever?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What the gently caress is going on in this game? All we've been seeing is a kid get mugged, beaten up, bullied and psychologically hosed with to the point his friends are about ready to call the white coats for 2 hours.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This intro chapter makes more sense on a second playthrough but is still offensively slow and bad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I have so many questions and we're only 4 episodes in. Of all the FF6 characters they could have put in, why Setzer? How many people were disappointed to play through this interminable opening chapter in a series where the entire appeal is "Final Fantasy meets Disney"? Isn't the whole reason KH2 is light on new worlds because Nomura and Square was deathly afraid of notoriously IP protective Disney potentially freaking out about the content of the series and getting cold feet? Can we have Arlen as a world in KH4?

C-Euro posted:

This intro chapter makes more sense on a second playthrough but is still offensively slow and bad.
I hate to be the guy that plugs poo poo, but GrandmaParty is LPing Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, and that's an example of a game that's gripping on the first playthrough, then gives you a whole new perspective when you play it the second time around (assuming you have the fortitude to do so).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The entire concept of this intro hinging on putting up with suddenly introducing a new main character after spending multiple games playing with a different one makes my blood boil and I can't believe Kojima's done it yet again.

They've Golden Sun The Lost Age'd us yet again!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Forgive me if I'm asking something that's already been asked hundreds of thousands of times (I'm going into this blind), but why does the symbol at the top of those big white thrones look like a dick with three tips

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 22, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

get that OUT of my face posted:

Forgive me if I'm asking something that's already been asked hundreds of thousands of times (I'm going into this blind), but why does the symbol at the top of those big white thrones look like a dick with three tips

It's the Bad Guys logo, though we haven't yet learned their name within the context of this game I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

It's the Bad Guys logo, though we haven't yet learned their name within the context of this game I think.
Sure, but who thought making it phallic was a good idea?

It was Nomura, wasn't it?