Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

get that OUT of my face posted:

Sure, but who thought making it phallic was a good idea?

It was Nomura, wasn't it?

It sort of has a lore reason for why it looks like that, but to point out the connection might be skirting spoilers. It'll come up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
The "who" might be interesting.

The "why" is probably because "it's phallic".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Let's Play Kingdom Hearts 2: Lore-Related Reasons for Phallic Imagery

In spite of me being able to piece together some of the plot and motivations from that latest episode, I still have far more questions than answers. "God Bless This Mess" is a good way to describe how I feel about the plot of Kingdom Hearts.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Am I correct in my understanding that this is the first we've ever seen of DiZ? Like, I don't remember him in CoM - oop, no, just went and checked the Chain of Memories LP and there he is in all his fetish-mummy glory, at the end of Riku's story at least. Not that anything he says has given loving any indication who or what his role is supposed to be here, other than "be mysterious." gently caress me, man.

Like, this isn't even a mystery. This is entire scenes - hell, basically all of a GBA game, too - of people standing around, talking about things in deliberately vague terms and avoiding directly naming various other 3rd parties who may or may not be relevant, and trying to talk about the various metaphysical/metatextual nonsense that's going on in the playable sections without actually explaining how any of it actually works because if they did it would (I'm betting) all fall apart into nonsense and hand-waving. And it all boils down to "a memory-witch hosed up, kinda, but she's fixing it so we're cool now"?

Why is there so much talking about all of this? Is this literal padding? Is this, oh no, Johnny the Art Intern's been slaving away at that Twilight Town idea we didn't have room for in KH1, and he's been at it the entire time we've been having coke parties and putting off writing an actual plot for the sequel, and look he's basically finished a whole playable zone with minigames and everything, where can we cram this in while we hastily throw together some other poo poo for our esteemed partners at Disney to sign off on?

Edit: Actually, "thing we've been noodling around with while we wait for poo poo to bounce back and forth between two finicky companies' oversight departments" is a fairly plausible explanation for how you get a part of the game with this much stuff and so little actual... y'know.... progress. Or "thing we made that didn't need signing off from either S-E or Disney so we could have a playable demo to show around, oh and we can slot an FF character or two in there before we ship, gently caress it."

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 23, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The entire concept of this intro hinging on putting up with suddenly introducing a new main character after spending multiple games playing with a different one makes my blood boil and I can't believe Kojima's done it yet again.

They've Golden Sun The Lost Age'd us yet again!

at least felix had been a primary antagonist (well, more like primary "guy who hangs out with the antagonists") in the former game, roxas just comes out with no foreshadowing or anything

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

at least felix had been a primary antagonist (well, more like primary "guy who hangs out with the antagonists") in the former game, roxas just comes out with no foreshadowing or anything

Agreed, Kingdom Hearts 2's story is worse than Golden Sun's.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm sure I'll appreciate KH2's storyline for the glorious clusterfuck it is when FutureFriend is done with this LP, but this is some bad storytelling and game design right off the bat. For starters, I have no idea who that red masked guy is, I don't particularly care why he wants revenge because there's no compelling reason to, he didn't stick out to me at all in the CoM LP, and Christopher Lee sounds like he's dying doing that voice. I guess his name is DiZ but it isn't clear that we're supposed to know that, even with Namine saying that she works for him.

Also there is Ansem for some stupid reason.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 24, 2019

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You're forgetting this was squarely targeted at really dumb teens who think this is all super deep and good storytelling.
Other than the part where you spend like 3 hours not actually playing the game because of this poo poo intro, it's hitting squarely on the mark for those types.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Geemer posted:

You're forgetting this was squarely targeted at really dumb teens who think this is all super deep and good storytelling.
Other than the part where you spend like 3 hours not actually playing the game because of this poo poo intro, it's hitting squarely on the mark for those types.
Ah that's right, I forgot that this was catnip for middle- and high school-aged teenage boys of the era that listened to too much nu-metal. The mid-2000s sure were a cultural nadir.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'm sure I'll appreciate KH2's storyline for the glorious clusterfuck it is when FutureFriend is done with this LP, but this is some bad storytelling and game design right off the bat. For starters, I have no idea who that red masked guy is, I don't particularly care why he wants revenge because there's no compelling reason to, he didn't stick out to me at all in the CoM LP, and Christopher Lee sounds like he's dying doing that voice. I guess his name is DiZ but it isn't clear that we're supposed to know that, even with Namine saying that she works for him.

Also there is Ansem for some stupid reason.

This game does seem pretty slow to get going, but its weird to expect every actor's motivations and story be entirely laid out to us so early.

I am, however, impatient to get back to my good pals Sora Donald Goofy!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I mean, there's the live action video spoiler battle that 2 of the cringiest teenagers ever did in a parking lot from this game, it definitely hit its target demographic

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Weird that this LP and the Pokémon Reborn LP both started comparing their game to Golden Sun at about the same time.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
kingdom hearts 2’s story kicks rear end imo. it’s cool when a media throws you into the deep end of the pool so you have a connection point with your main character. although i do think this intro works better when you can control the pace at which you experience it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

dudermcbrohan posted:

kingdom hearts 2’s story kicks rear end imo. it’s cool when a media throws you into the deep end of the pool so you have a connection point with your main character. although i do think this intro works better when you can controw well ql the pace at which you experience it

The intro also works better if you have played Chain of Memories. You're expected to know who The Organisation, DiZ, Axel and Naminé are.

Without any of that knowledge the intro isn't actually giving you any exposition, which it needs to in order to seem like you're making some kind of progress.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Now you hold on a minute there, nothing can be as bad as Golden Sun.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bike tory posted:

The intro also works better if you have played Chain of Memories. You're expected to know who The Organisation, DiZ, Axel and Naminé are.

Without any of that knowledge the intro isn't actually giving you any exposition, which it needs to in order to seem like you're making some kind of progress.
Didn't KH2 come out before CoM?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
CoM was 2004, KH2 was 2005

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But a lot of people probably skipped CoM because it was a card game on the GBA that mostly recounted the worlds of KH1 so people thought it was a spin-off.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

But a lot of people probably skipped CoM because it was a card game on the GBA that mostly recounted the worlds of KH1 so people thought it was a spin-off.

And they were right, it was a spinoff, but it was a spinoff in which the developers decided to introduce like 8 new central characters all with various intricate motivations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

bike tory posted:

And they were right, it was a spinoff, but it was a spinoff in which the developers decided to introduce like 8 new central characters all with various intricate motivations.

Which was pretty much done out of spite due to being relegated to making a card-game spin-off. "Sure, I'll do this, but only if everything in it becomes canon."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Isn't there also a canonical pre-smartphone phone game?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I don't think there's a single non-canon game in the franchise.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bike tory posted:

And Twilight Town! You also get a pre-rendered still of Rocks rear end during the second quest ending.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

dudermcbrohan posted:

it’s cool when a media throws you into the deep end of the pool so you have a connection point with your main character.

:raise:

But we... don't? We have a connection point with our main character's lovely doppleganger, for... some reason. Time Memory witchery. And, like, what has all this exposition and screentime actually established about Roxas? "Has friends" and "is confused by reality-warping worldglitches" are nnnot really character traits.

Fake edit: Oh yeah, and "likes ice cream." "Possible beachgoer"? "Bipedal lifeform"?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's has a fondness for checkerboard, so he's clearly a rude boy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Weird that this LP and the Pokémon Reborn LP both started comparing their game to Golden Sun at about the same time.

And for different reasons too!

Ghost of Starman posted:

:raise:

But we... don't? We have a connection point with our main character's lovely doppleganger, for... some reason. Time Memory witchery. And, like, what has all this exposition and screentime actually established about Roxas? "Has friends" and "is confused by reality-warping worldglitches" are nnnot really character traits.

Fake edit: Oh yeah, and "likes ice cream." "Possible beachgoer"? "Bipedal lifeform"?

I think they just mean that the main character also doesn't understand what's happening just like you don't. It's like Final Fantasy 10 or something. Also you're forgetting to add 'can use keyblade' 'has some link to the Organization' 'is linked to Sora in some way' as other important parts of this.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I think they just mean that the main character also doesn't understand what's happening just like you don't.

this is what i meant by connection.

bony tony posted:

He's has a fondness for checkerboard, so he's clearly a rude boy.

but also this one

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Funktastic posted:

Tbf they steal the kids money because they're too lazy to actually create a beach for them to go to.

It was mentioned that there would be cyber-security issues with creating a beach, but even then it seems like it'd be less suspicious to pretend that the beach-bound trains are broken or something.

dudermcbrohan posted:

kingdom hearts 2’s story kicks rear end imo. it’s cool when a media throws you into the deep end of the pool so you have a connection point with your main character. although i do think this intro works better when you can control the pace at which you experience it

Really now, did anyone actually think that people would enjoy spending over two hours doing menial tasks with forgettable characters before they get to any gameplay recognizable as part of a Kingdom Hearts game?

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

And for different reasons too!

I think they just mean that the main character also doesn't understand what's happening just like you don't. It's like Final Fantasy 10 or something. Also you're forgetting to add 'can use keyblade' 'has some link to the Organization' 'is linked to Sora in some way' as other important parts of this.

Ah, yes - fair enough. Although I would argue those details are more plot points and not character traits - but mostly I'm being an obstreperous pedant because for some reason venting about how bad S-E is these days really helps me blow off steam. :D

I think I'm frustrated too because there are so many cool directions they could have gone, and - so far - we've seen nothing beyond the most bog-standard anime filler.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Ah, yes - fair enough. Although I would argue those details are more plot points and not character traits - but mostly I'm being an obstreperous pedant because for some reason venting about how bad S-E is these days really helps me blow off steam. :D
You say "these days", but this game is 13 years old.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Schubalts posted:

I don't think there's a single non-canon game in the franchise.

Every Kingdom Hearts game is just as canonical as a numbered title yes (so the term “spinoff” doesn’t really apply to this series in the usual sense).

This was annoying back in the day as a lot of the games were spread out across multiple different platforms but it’s not so bad now that all the games (except the mobile game and the actual gameplay bits of the two DS titles that is) are now available in one place thanks to the PS4 collections.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 26, 2019

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

summer vacations over, gamers.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
What the gently caress is a non-data based projection? Empty space?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What the gently caress is going on in this game? Why was the last 2 and a half hours?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It was all to keep Roxas busy and hidden so they could sacrifice him on the Altar of Sora after Namine finishes unfucking Sora's memories. You play through all of it, so you can see them brain-wiping and "destroying" a sentient being, after snatching him away from a happy life with his friends (twice!), to bring Sora back to full power.

The opening of KH2 is pretty hosed up.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Schubalts posted:

It was all to keep Roxas busy and hidden so they could sacrifice him on the Altar of Sora after Namine finishes unfucking Sora's memories. You play through all of it, so you can see them brain-wiping and "destroying" a sentient being, after snatching him away from a happy life with his friends (twice!), to bring Sora back to full power.

The opening of KH2 is pretty hosed up.

I feel so bad for Roxas, he didn't deserve any of this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this game? Why was the last 2 and a half hours?

Ansem and The Burned Man managed to wipe the memories of and imprison one of the Organization members within a digital simulation of a town but it's all falling apart as Sora nears full reanimation and the soul transfer becomes more and more direly required to reboot him.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It took all that time to say "oh by the way Sora's been chilling in that suspended animation pod since CoM" (I think). What a payoff. Marvelous storytelling.

Also I'm calling those weird enemies you fight "Heartless" because I can't be bothered to call them by whatever their actual name is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It took all that time to say "oh by the way Sora's been chilling in that suspended animation pod since CoM" (I think). What a payoff. Marvelous storytelling.

Also I'm calling those weird enemies you fight "Heartless" because I can't be bothered to call them by whatever their actual name is.

Boneless.