Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Look, I loved Thor: Ragnarok and have watched it several times. It is a delight. I love the retro soundtrack, Chris Foss inspired spaceship designs, everything with Jeff Goldblum and ofc Chris Helmsworth's hunky self.

I'm not asking if it was a fun movie or an enjoyable one. It was, no doubt in my mind.

I'm asking if, as a work of cinema and storytelling, taken separately from the other marvel films, the movie holds up on its own artistically speaking.

Like, if I took this film back in time to before anyone had ever heard of the Marvel cinematic universe and showed it to an audience that had, at most, read about these characters in comic books, would they find the film as entertaining and delightful as I do, or would they just be confused by the many plot points, characters and dialogue that depends on other films in the Marvel cinematic universe to do the heavy lifting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think it stands on its own pretty well. Not completely of course, there are elements of the story that would probably be a bit confusing if you had never seen an MCU film before. But the visuals are Good(not just good for the MCU), it''s stuffed with interesting and often hilarious characters, the finale is an awesome bit of blockbuster spectacle, and Hemsworth is a great lead. What's not to like?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

I think it stands on its own pretty well. Not completely of course, there are elements of the story that would probably be a bit confusing if you had never seen an MCU film before. But the visuals are Good(not just good for the MCU), it''s stuffed with interesting and often hilarious characters, the finale is an awesome bit of blockbuster spectacle, and Hemsworth is a great lead. What's not to like?

I feel like the interlude with Dr. Strange wouldn't really make any sense at all outside the context of the expanded universe, and would come across as kind of a deus ex machina if seen in a standalone film.

Also the sequence where Hulk watches the video of Black Widow talking to him as the jet vanishes into space would seem kind of out of place. It's necessary for someone who's seen the MCU to understand how Hulk got there, but someone who'd never heard of the MCU would just wonder what the significance of this woman is.

Also the "Sun's going down" line isn't funny on its own but only as a reference to Black Widow's calming mantra.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The gag with Banner in Tony Stark's clothes also would have little to no impact.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The most succinct criticism I can give of Thor: Ragnarok is that the rainbow bridge to Asgard looks pretty gray.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

The most succinct criticism I can give of Thor: Ragnarok is that the rainbow bridge to Asgard looks pretty gray.

Wasn't it brighter earlier in the movie? In the scene in question I imagine Hela had been like, draining it of power or something probably.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
No. None of the Marvel movies are “good” and that includes Thor Ragnorak. It’s fun, it’s entertaining, it’s amusingly performed, I liked it, but it is not “good” as a film compared to any number of its peers of which you can find many that are better made.

It’s maybe okay.

One example I give is the whole Anthony Hopkins scene. I mean...really.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I feel like the interlude with Dr. Strange wouldn't really make any sense at all outside the context of the expanded universe, and would come across as kind of a deus ex machina if seen in a standalone film.

Also the sequence where Hulk watches the video of Black Widow talking to him as the jet vanishes into space would seem kind of out of place. It's necessary for someone who's seen the MCU to understand how Hulk got there, but someone who'd never heard of the MCU would just wonder what the significance of this woman is.

Also the "Sun's going down" line isn't funny on its own but only as a reference to Black Widow's calming mantra.

I guess I'm coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't ever seen an MCU movie, but would have at least some basic knowledge of comic book characters. So like, Hulk being shot off into space by the Avengers isn't something that has to really have any context if you know about the Hulk and some of the things he's capable of.

You're right about a lot of the one-liners and gags though, the MCUs humor is way to self-referential sometimes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was great, and a lot of MCU films are good

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
By itself, no, but in the context of the whole MCU, yeah. Not great cinema, but a good film (what the hell is a good film if being fun and amusing isn't good? good doesn't mean great or worthy for the Film Library of Congress).

That's probably the biggest problem with the MCU, there have been very few point since the first Thor where you could watch a movie and it will make sense on its own. If you're a new person who wanted to see Endgame to see what all the fuss is about, well, you've got a long process to get up to speed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's the only recent one that's debatably good, and it's ugly as hell.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It’s a fun movie that undercuts itself with weird choices in storytelling and production. Letting Hemsworth let his comedy flag fly does a lot of heavy lifting throughout, but the narrative is clearly two plots at odds with one-another. Cate Blanchett feels underutilized and just kind of disappears for large portions of the film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yeah, this.

Everything in Asgard is dire and Blanchett is wasted, but the other stuff is pretty fun. It still has the MCU's greywashed house style, so it's kinda baffling when people talk about how good it looks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a good laundry movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, this.

Everything in Asgard is dire and Blanchett is wasted, but the other stuff is pretty fun. It still has the MCU's greywashed house style, so it's kinda baffling when people talk about how good it looks.

The color issue is particularly frustrating when you see set pics or BTS footage. The colors in those materials are way more vibrant, and that weird graywash filter really flattens them significantly in the final film.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It would have been way better with all the Ragnarok poo poo cut out. It should have just been a 90 minute movie called Thor: Escape From Planet Goldblum.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Like just about every single Marvel film ever made (outside of Punisher: War Zone which is a masterpiece), it's a solid B- with fun character beats that I tune out of in the third act when it becomes just a CG fight scene - which probably makes it worse, honestly. Taika Waititi's a wonderful filmmaker but still ended up churning out the exact same Marvel film that's been coming out for the last dozen or so years. Whadda shame.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I thought that the gladiator rock monster guy with the high voice was funny, is he a comedian or something or is it lampooning something else? I sincerely don't know as I am kind of out of touch with comic book movies in general.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

jet sanchEz posted:

I thought that the gladiator rock monster guy with the high voice was funny, is he a comedian or something or is it lampooning something else? I sincerely don't know as I am kind of out of touch with comic book movies in general.

That’s the Director, Taika Waititi. He’s a legit funny dude.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Wasn't it brighter earlier in the movie? In the scene in question I imagine Hela had been like, draining it of power or something probably.

I’m not able to find any brighter-looking screencaps through Google Images, I’ll scroll through Netflix when I’m done at work maybe?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I just watched the entire MCU for the first time over the last month. I did not like Thor Ragnarok. It felt like a 2nd-rate GotG. I hated the characterization of Hulk. The whole movie just felt like it was trying too hard. It was funny, but it was getting way too close to parody, for my tastes.

e: Jeff Goldblum was awesome though

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I liked when Jeff Goldblum was onscreen. Also, it was funny that people were talking up the Maori humor, and then all the jokes were like blown-up Parks and Rec outtakes (What We Do In The Shadows, on the other hand...). Also, the rainbow bridge is a really handy visual demonstration of everything that doesn’t work for me about these movies.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
They didn't do Skurge's death justice.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tart Kitty posted:

That’s the Director, Taika Waititi. He’s a legit funny dude.

(he absolutely is, I just wanted to use the gif)

The original Thor was kind of novel at first but it's not aged well. Thor 2 was a joyless slog that resulted in Natalie Portman becoming archive footage in Endgame. Ragnarok actually wore its less-serious personality on its sleeve and didn't apologize for it, and it was all the better for it. I actually enjoyed watching it more than once, and as somebody mentioned earlier it's an entertaining choice for background noise.

w/r/t color, I think the argument can at least be made that it's the least "washed-out" of the Marvel movies - particularly the whole "arena planet" sequence. The term "psychedelic squalor" comes to mind.

e: throwing a spoiler bar out just in case

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 1, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Portman showed up to the premiere and confirmed she wasn’t archive footage in Endgame.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh so it just looked like poo poo. Lmao.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Oh so it just looked like poo poo. Lmao.

Right, it is so weird how she’s de-emphasized in the frame as if it were archival, like she stopped being a person after they stopped dating.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Odd choice but one I respect.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pirate Jet posted:

Portman showed up to the premiere and confirmed she wasn’t archive footage in Endgame.

it was unused dark world footage she recorded adr for, which is why she got a credit

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
this movie probably has my favorite portrayal of the Hulk. he literal can't exist without being angry, so when he sees his friend Thor frustrated and despondent the only way he is able to empathize with him is to antagonize him physically and verbally lol

jet sanchEz posted:

someone already mentioned he was the director, but he's said in interviews that Korg's personality comes from a type of bouncer in NZ that you see everywhere. they're usually massive with high-pitched voices, friendly and even-tempered even when someone is trying to stab or fight them.

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 1, 2019

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Thor: Ragnarok is two movies. One is great, and it's the one that Taika Waititi wanted to make, and it's on Sakkar with the Hulk. Then there is the movie Marvel wanted, which is the Asgard-ending Ragnarok story with Hela. The two don't mesh at all, it wastes Cate Blanchett, who was having fun, but had nothing to do other than snarl from time to time. If it had picked one film and gone with it, either would have been a better film (although the Sakkar stuff is the better idea of the two)

That said, it's still a blast to watch, and I love Korg with all my heart.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Thor: Ragnarok is two movies. One is great, and it's the one that Taika Waititi wanted to make, and it's on Sakkar with the Hulk. Then there is the movie Marvel wanted, which is the Asgard-ending Ragnarok story with Hela. The two don't mesh at all, it wastes Cate Blanchett, who was having fun, but had nothing to do other than snarl from time to time. If it had picked one film and gone with it, either would have been a better film (although the Sakkar stuff is the better idea of the two)

The Sakkar stuff is hands down the best part of the movie.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love this movie it's so much fun and therefore good as op says. I also think if you didn't have to make it play with the other marvel things it would still be great. You can take it alone, but it's in that series and has to play in that series. I'm sure if Hemsworth knew what he knew (that he hates playing Thor) and Waititi was on board for it as a single movie it would probably be better, but as it stands I think the story and characters are lovingly done, the tone and the plotting is solid and the acting is excellent tongue in cheek stuff.

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 1, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's one of few Marvel movies that knows it's a comic book movie and is FUN. It's weird that some people I know actively hated it because it's humourous like they want all their comic book movies to be dour and overly serious... Does anyone actually rate the previous 2 Thor movies? I've watched them both and thought the first was merely okay if a little boring and the second I literally cannot remember a thing about.

Korg4ever

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's one of few Marvel movies that knows it's a comic book movie and is FUN. It's weird that some people I know actively hated it because it's humourous like they want all their comic book movies to be dour and overly serious... Does anyone actually rate the previous 2 Thor movies? I've watched them both and thought the first was merely okay if a little boring and the second I literally cannot remember a thing about.

Korg4ever

I think the previous movies are kind of underrated. Thor 2 after watching it recently wasn't nearly as bad as it's reputation and I didn't see either of the Thor films as dour. I feel like Ragnarok is very much in keeping with a character who was trying to be a particular thing, but whose honest self was different. I think the Thor trilogy is pretty good in that sense.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Every popular movie is bad, because if it's not then I can't feel better than other people for only watching "Wax or the Discovery of Television Among the Bees" over and over.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Every popular movie is bad, because if it's not then I can't feel better than other people for only watching "Wax or the Discovery of Television Among the Bees" over and over.

Weird opinion.

There are lots of great movies that are popular.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LesterGroans posted:

Weird opinion.

There are lots of great movies that are popular.

liking any movie but "Help, Help, the globolinks" is the sign of a childish mind.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't believer her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

In short, the movie is better the further away from Asgard it gets.

It's one of maybe three MCU movies that I've actually re-watched.