Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
every single movie that has given someone a little bit of joy is a great movie tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's good, but none of these are Spider-Maguire good.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OldTennisCourt posted:

every single movie that has given someone a little bit of joy is a great movie tbh

what about a really sad movie?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

what about a really sad movie?

usually those movies have at least made someone feel better about something after watching it or made them aware of an issue

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If you like a movie you should just say you think it's a good movie. Shakespeare was all about murders and loving and making oval office puns, it's OK.

The only bad thing about Ragnarok to me is that if they made the whole movie look like the Valkyries go to Hel sequence it would be an A+++, it was right there in the movie itself and they just did it for one sequence.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

It's one of the best super hero movies ever made, at least in the top 10 or there abouts. It's a tricky question because are we comparing it to the heights of cinematic achievement? It is good compared to There Will Be Blood? Of course not. But it's good in the sense it nearly 100% accomplishes what it sets out to do and that's to entertain the audience throughout, with great characters, great comedic dialogue and action when other Marvel movies tend to fail at at least one of those things. It's not perfect, I agree some of the Asgard stuff was pretty poor but I do think Cate Blanchett makes a great villain. It also does a good job of establishing characters relationships from previous films without the need to have seen them, such as Thor and Loki and Thor and Hulk so it also works well as a standalone film.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Ragnarok was funny, but not great-looking (except for the valkyrie sequence) and its final action setpiece had really choppy and confusing editing.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

sean10mm posted:

If you like a movie you should just say you think it's a good movie. Shakespeare was all about murders and loving and making oval office puns, it's OK.
yeah this is my thought, there are very few inherently bad films, even garbage like Meet The Spartans made someone laugh or made a review that made someone laugh so it has value

People really need to stop letting other people's opinions ruin their fun.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I've preferred Ragnarok to most of the other MCU flicks, and in fact the movie makes Thor so much more interesting. Blanchett was wasted, and really, Asgard seems so two dimensional. Maybe they should have made the Asgardians welcome Hela, because they felt like they were getting soft under Loki's leadership, ready to return to battle. Until things get super dark or something.

So, I read somewhere else that they can't make another Hulk movie, right? Something about the rights? Because a return to Planet Hulk would be so cool and fun.

I also wondered if Hela was going to show up later on, like even in Endgame or something.

Ragnarok is just nuts and fun. I might re-watch it tonight.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

RocketLunatic posted:

So, I read somewhere else that they can't make another Hulk movie, right? Something about the rights? Because a return to Planet Hulk would be so cool and fun.

They just can't make a solo Hulk movie.

Well, they can, but I think Universal still has distribution rights or something? So that would involve sharing some of the profits.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ferrinus posted:

Ragnarok was funny, but not great-looking (except for the valkyrie sequence) and its final action setpiece had really choppy and confusing editing.

The visuals during the valkyrie flashback were fantastic, and it's too bad the crew were handcuffed for the rest of the film. They could have turned in a final product that rivaled Larry Fong's work on BvS and Kong Skull Island.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

LesterGroans posted:

They just can't make a solo Hulk movie.

Well, they can, but I think Universal still has distribution rights or something? So that would involve sharing some of the profits.

I also don't think the character can carry a whole movie. What do you fill two hours with unless it's his origin story (which was done, with the wrong actor).

Hulk is probably done after ruining his arm in Endgame too. Thanos was still hosed up five years later, Professor Hulk is probably only a scientist capable of moving his own equipment at this point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The visuals during the valkyrie flashback were fantastic, and it's too bad the crew were handcuffed for the rest of the film. They could have turned in a final product that rivaled Larry Fong's work on BvS and Kong Skull Island.

Having like, 3 minutes of good looking movie just throws into relief how lovely the rest of it looks

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nail Rat posted:

I also don't think the character can carry a whole movie. What do you fill two hours with unless it's his origin story (which was done, with the wrong actor).

Hulk is probably done after ruining his arm in Endgame too. Thanos was still hosed up five years later, Professor Hulk is probably only a scientist capable of moving his own equipment at this point.

Comics hulk has regeneration as one of their top powers and is way beyond Deadpool or wolverine on it. Like growing back from a skeleton or being thrown into the sun for years.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Comics granted. Yeah, Hulk's been shredded of 80% of his mass and still had enough to move forward towards his foe until he healed completely in seconds. And this was Professor Hulk. He's immune to AIDS too. He's got the best healing factor in the Marvel Universe. It was also shown in Ang Lee's Hulk.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Comics hulk has regeneration as one of their top powers and is way beyond Deadpool or wolverine on it. Like growing back from a skeleton or being thrown into the sun for years.

Doesn't he get stronger after he heals too? Like he's not susceptible to the same kind of attack twice or something? Or am I confusing him with Doomsday (or the borg I guess)?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

Doesn't he get stronger after he heals too? Like he's not susceptible to the same kind of attack twice or something? Or am I confusing him with Doomsday (or the borg I guess)?

That's Doomsday who if he is killed, his body adapts to the type of attack that killed him and he gains "immunity" to that when he returns to life. This in one case resulted in him becoming intelligent again from a previous iteration where he was more animalistic.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

It's one of the best super hero movies ever made, at least in the top 10 or there abouts.

Superman 77
Superman 2
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Lego Batman
Blade
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
X2
X-Men: First Class
Chronicle
The Incredibles
Dredd
The Rocketeer
The Crow
Darkman
Swamp Thing
Super
The Toxic Avenger

It's one of the better Marvel superhero movies, but I wouldn't rank any of those as top 10 anything. The new movies look pretty (sometimes.... kinda.... they have pretty people in them, there we go), but they're a regression of storytelling.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 2, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Not specifically, he gets stronger the angrier he is. If you made him die he’d certainly come back mad about it and stronger so hurting him doesn’t generally help you beat him.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
If it's actually funny and doesn't have the colour palette of concrete then it's a good Marvel movie.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

It would have been way better with all the Ragnarok poo poo cut out. It should have just been a 90 minute movie called Thor: Escape From Planet Goldblum.
Yeah I basically agree with this take. I do think it's neat that what's mostly a good Waititi film got to reach a wide audience though, and I hope its success means he can have more freedom if he gets to direct another one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The initial scene of Ragnarok with Surtur is excellent and I like the big finish. I like the whole movie tbh

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ruddiger posted:

Superman 77
Superman 2
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Lego Batman
Blade
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
X2
Chronicle
The Incredibles
Dredd
The Rocketeer
The Crow
Darkman
Swamp Thing
Super
The Toxic Avenger

It's one of the better Marvel superhero movies, but I wouldn't rank any of those as top 10 anything. The new movies look pretty (sometimes.... kinda.... they have pretty people in them, there we go), but they're a regression of storytelling.

X2 is pretty bad(I honestly thought the only good X-Men film I saw was Logan), and the Crow is kind of crappy because there's never any real credible threat to him other than not-John-Travolta shooting the crow and even that doesn't end up being enough to stop him.

On that note, why the hell isn't Logan on that list.

Totally agreed on Dredd btw, it's criminal that there never has/will be a sequel.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

for anyone that didn't know, they invented a technique specifically for that scene: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-technology-behind-valkyries-flashback-in-thor-ragn-1822445768

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chris James 2 posted:

It was great, and a lot of MCU films are good

This.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

X2 is pretty bad(I honestly thought the only good X-Men film I saw was Logan), and the Crow is kind of crappy because there's never any real credible threat to him other than not-John-Travolta shooting the crow and even that doesn't end up being enough to stop him.

Totally agreed on Dredd btw, it's criminal that there never has/will be a sequel.

While I haven't seen X2 in like 12 years, I remember it pretty fondly, but I doubt any of the non-Logan X universe movies age very well. X2 was good on release though.

I'd say the first half of Iron Man 1 is probably the best hour of any superhero film bar none. Tony being kidnapped and forced to build a weapon, but secretly creating both the Arc reactor and his first suit is amazing to watch. The 2nd half fizzles out because the Dude is not a very interesting villain, which is the problem plaguing most Marvel movies. I can barely remember the villains of a lot of the stand alone movies because they're mostly boring garbage.

That leads me to Thor Ragnarok, because it's at least got some interesting villains.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

iamsosmrt posted:

That leads me to Thor Ragnarok, because it's at least got some interesting villains.

I mean it has one, and he's out of the picture by the halfway point.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Ed Norton Hulk promised me The Leader played by Delmar from Oh Brother Where Art Thou in the sequel and it still hasn't happened.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Nail Rat posted:

What is this wild rear end opinion on The Crow? It’s like Character Actor: The Movie, and has some of the most interesting cinematography of the 90’s.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tart Kitty posted:

What is this wild rear end opinion on The Crow? It’s like Character Actor: The Movie, and has some of the most interesting cinematography of the 90’s.

It's almost the most 90s movie of the 90s.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
A friend dragged me to see it in the cinema; I was a big comics nerd until about 2008 but I haven’t seen any other MCU film since Iron Man. I was pleasantly surprised, I had a good time. Some references were missed probably, but with my outdated comics knowledge I was basically fine. Like idk what happened in the movies but I recognized the nods to Planet Hulk and I’ve never been a big Thor fan but I recognized the characters that come from his books. It’s a good movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jeff Goldblum is the real villain, Blanchett is just a character beat Thor needs to handle on his own. I don't see her as being a bad villain because I don't see her as being any more than that. Goldblum is the best villain in the MCU, on the other hand.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Which is kind of a shame because Hela is thematically a lot more interesting, being Asgard's sins come to roost.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Goldblum was fantastic as an utterly practical and utterly dickish villain who was just fun to watch. Blanchett’s character was hampered I think by the fact that they had to go through the standard narrative beats of building her up as a threat and establishing her motives. She was fun to watch but a lot of her scenes are for structural purposes so I have no need to see them again, whereas I’d be down to rewatch all the scenes Goldblum was in because they were entertaining on their own.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

Superman 77
Superman 2
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Lego Batman
Blade
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
X2
Chronicle
The Incredibles
Dredd
The Rocketeer
The Crow
Darkman
Swamp Thing
Super
The Toxic Avenger

The Teen Titans Go feature film belongs somewhere on this list, IMO.

poo poo, also definitely Spider Man: Into the Spider Verse and the Dick Tracy movie.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 3, 2019

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I ruined it for myself by watching a bunch of the 'extra' Gamemaster videos on YouTube, because when I actually sat down to watch Thor 3 Goldblum was barely in it.

Its definitely one of the better mcu movies, which are generally pretty terrible, so no, it's not good OP. Sorry

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Jeff Goldblum is a national treasure; if a movie lets him be part of a psychedelic space oddyssey then I won't complain much.

As for how infinity war and endgame changed Thor's character growth is another discussion worth having. Im not as resentful as some folks may be, but I can understand the complaints. That's more a complaint about the franchise as a whole and those sequels than Ragnarok itself though.

E:vv Same here, actually. His scene back on Asgard with Freya was one of the best in the movie for me.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 3, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

As Nero Danced posted:

Jeff Goldblum is a national treasure; if a movie lets him be part of a psychedelic space oddyssey then I won't complain much.

As for how infinity war and endgame changed Thor's character growth is another discussion worth having, though. Im not as resentful as some folks may be, but I can understand the complaints. That's more a complaint about the franchise as a whole and those sequels than Ragnarok itself though.

I feel like one of the only good things in Endgame is the end of Thor's journey.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Immigrant Song battle sequence in the cold open of Rangarok was also one of the few CGI fight scenes I ever found good or entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's...fine. There's bits where the director got to do their own thing, followed by bits where the movie moves on rails towards a stock standard conclusion and fight scene. Which is especially weird, since its ending was completely ignored by the next movie anyway.