Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So how are the pet-based builds in this game? Does it have something like the Lazy Pokemon build in Grim Dawn, in which you literally let all your pets kill stuff while you run around collecting loot? Or something like D2 Necromancer class for example, in which you have a lot of minions tanky enough to survive more than 1 boss's spells while damaging enough on their own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Every class has or is slated to have some minion skills. I basically never play pet-centric builds in these games, so I’m not sure how they play exactly here, but there are plenty of minion skills and lots of minion builds posted on the official forums.

Primalist has a number of builds based around having a few durable, powerful minions. A lot of the passives and skills really encourage fighting alongside your minions or poking from behind them with a spear, though I think a lazier approach is possible.

Necromancer can get big armies of wraiths and skeletons, though I don’t know how they actually play. I’m sure you can avoid ever having to attack by yourself, but I strongly suspect you’ll probably want 1-2 support skills to boost your minion’s damage or increase your own defense.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Every class has or is slated to have some minion skills. I basically never play pet-centric builds in these games, so I’m not sure how they play exactly here, but there are plenty of minion skills and lots of minion builds posted on the official forums.

Primalist has a number of builds based around having a few durable, powerful minions. A lot of the passives and skills really encourage fighting alongside your minions or poking from behind them with a spear, though I think a lazier approach is possible.

Necromancer can get big armies of wraiths and skeletons, though I don’t know how they actually play. I’m sure you can avoid ever having to attack by yourself, but I strongly suspect you’ll probably want 1-2 support skills to boost your minion’s damage or increase your own defense.

That's good to know, and googling some videos show some delicious stuff, thanks a lot!

BTW can you confirm how the current respeccing works btw? Googling just shows old stuff, or player complaints, etc. So I don't really get how it works now, especially because I haven't bought the game yet.

ilyatha
Nov 4, 2009

srulz posted:

That's good to know, and googling some videos show some delicious stuff, thanks a lot!

BTW can you confirm how the current respeccing works btw? Googling just shows old stuff, or player complaints, etc. So I don't really get how it works now, especially because I haven't bought the game yet.

There's two different respec's. One is skills, and one is your passive tree. For skills, there's two options, point-by-point, and reset the entire skill (let's you choose a new skill to replace it, or just re-slot it and level it from 1 again). Note, you do not get to "respec" in these cases, you must re-level the skill (ie. gain experience). The first 12 or so levels of a skill goes by pretty quick (I say this fighting mid 50s monsters). For passive tree you go to an NPC and pay per point to de-allocate points, and can then re-allocate. It doesn't allow you to break pre-requisites (such as needing 20 in the base class). The cost is in gold, and I can't figure out the logic. My first point was 280g, 2nd 2080g, 3rd 1880g. But anyway, hope that helps.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Playing this through properly after sitting on it for the last year, its pretty great. Currently playing a fireball-specced mage, which is pretty much my test for whether I'll get into an ARPG, and blowing lots of things up. I like that you can use 5 skills on the reg smoothly, without being forced to or being dependent on them. Also that a standard 3 button mouse can do all 5 with wheel click/up/down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saw that 0.9 is coming out next year, no exact release date yet, but it'll be the big multiplayer update. Exciting to see this get closer and closer to 1.0.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I came back to this recently after not playing since May or so, and the game has definitely improved. They cleaned up end-game itemization a bit and glancing blow is no longer a required stat, though you can still get it in a few places. There's also a new class - the Rogue - with two very powerful specs, Bladedancer and Marksman. I think it's definitely on its way to a solid ARPG and you'll get a few hundred hours out of it even in early access if you're the type that has thousands of hours in PoE (3600 here) and you're feeling bored. If you're on the fence, maybe wait a few months; the next big feature will be multiplayer, which admittedly has been around the corner for about a year, but they recently released a video showing it off and it looks like it may actually be coming this year.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 10, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've been watching this game for awhile and it looks solid, but I'm really reluctant to jump in before 1.0

Also gently caress clicking on and sorting garbage loot, hope that won't be a major "feature", I stopped playing poe because of it (even with insanely strict filtering).

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

victrix posted:

I've been watching this game for awhile and it looks solid, but I'm really reluctant to jump in before 1.0

Also gently caress clicking on and sorting garbage loot, hope that won't be a major "feature", I stopped playing poe because of it (even with insanely strict filtering).

We are all waiting on the multiplayer patch.

The development has been phenomenal and this has tremendous potential. It’s already really good and it’s missing half its features. They have delivered on everything so far though and using Early Access the right way.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Looking forward to the Marvel characters reskin.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Zizaran has just done a video on this, and it looks incredibly not bad. Like a definite in between PoE leagues filler game at least. Has the ICR curse been lifted? I think I'll be diving in this weekend.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Masonity posted:

Zizaran has just done a video on this, and it looks incredibly not bad. Like a definite in between PoE leagues filler game at least. Has the ICR curse been lifted? I think I'll be diving in this weekend.

Well I re-cursed by taking the Magic Legends thread. :(

But for real, this IS the game to watch.

It’s fire. Devs have been outstanding with the community and the development has been on target and very modern.

I don’t know many people who come and lambast this game and it’s only in Early Access.

Very excited to see where this is come Fall and Winter.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

ICR posted:

Well I re-cursed by taking the Magic Legends thread. :(

But for real, this IS the game to watch.

It’s fire. Devs have been outstanding with the community and the development has been on target and very modern.

I don’t know many people who come and lambast this game and it’s only in Early Access.

Very excited to see where this is come Fall and Winter.

I bought this game last year because of your thread and I've been patiently waiting until 1.0. This dev team has been constantly pushing out updates and moving through the milestones that they set. They are certainly not like so many other early access devs who disappear or barely work on the game after the initial EA release.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Vorik posted:

I bought this game last year because of your thread and I've been patiently waiting until 1.0. This dev team has been constantly pushing out updates and moving through the milestones that they set. They are certainly not like so many other early access devs who disappear or barely work on the game after the initial EA release.

Cool deal Vorik! Agreed on all that. It’s been a really pleasant surprise. They do an update blog like, twice a week and I just love the vision. I think it’ll all see its day and it’s exciting.

I’m PUMPED for multiplayer too.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I should check if they've fixed the "use skills from other classes" trick yet... that was fun to mess with before :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Last Epoch is really good. The game is just about finished, all that is really left is multiplayer to be honest. You can play it now and get most of the game and have a lot of fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, I played it I think when ICR first posted about it a year+ ago and it was pretty rough at the time, but it's great now. It hits a good ARPG depth sweet spot where you can't just autopilot through it like Diablo 3 but it doesn't have the "ancient game as a service game" complexity level of complexity like PoE.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ve seen this pop up to the top page or two on Steam global sellers and stay there recently. Did it hit it big in the streaming community or something?

I’m glad though because the few hours I’ve put into the EA seem quite good.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anno posted:

I’ve seen this pop up to the top page or two on Steam global sellers and stay there recently. Did it hit it big in the streaming community or something?

I’m glad though because the few hours I’ve put into the EA seem quite good.

I saw a whole rash of PoE streamers posting YT vids on it in the last week, not sure why - the one I checked said it wasn't sponsored (though he's done sponsored vids in past years).

I can only assume PoE fatigue/GGG outrage for <whatever>

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
we're in an awkward phase before the next patch / league hits for PoE so engagement is low. gotta try another ARPG to keep those numbers up.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

One question I have about this game is that if I'm on my first character, and I don't know what the optimal builds are, and then I find out later that the build I have doesn't scale at all, do I have to start over, or can I (realistically) fix my character?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

To the best of my knowledge the only permanent choice you make is which mastery class you select. Everything else can be changed either via a vendor (your mastery points) or through the menu (skill trees).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This is game is a lot of fun.

Only midway through the campaign, and I've been impressed. I had gotten the impression that this was going to be quite a bit slower than POE, and I really don't find it that much slower. It could be because I picked rogue maybe. But I'm shifting (dashing) around, exploding packs, and I'm only like 33 (and I've been doing it a while). People made it sound like this was slowly going from small packs of 2-3 mobs to other small packs, but I'm not finding that the case at all.

Obviously coming off a good bit of POE, it's hard not to appreciate and comment on a lot of the QOL changes. But they're nice. So much less tedious clicking and time wasting inventory management.

It's not fair compare this campaign to POE's endgame - because POE's campaign also didn't have near the tedium and grind of its endgame. But either way, there's obviously some things that will carry over. And it's a fun campaign, with a cool gimmick. Performance has been great too - but again, I really only have sporadic problems with perf in POE in the endgame. But at least it's starting off on a good foot.

Definitely feel like I've gotten my $35 out of it already. I've looked up a bit about the endgame systems. It'll be great once they get the rest of them implemented.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Big dev blog update - there's a big monolith update coming next patch. Seems pretty sweet.

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/monolith-overhaul/37245

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
That next patch is coming out Monday, btw.

I only really picked this up recently but it's already really clicking for me even while I'm still doing the campaign. there are certainly some EA rough edges, missing bits, and the longshot possibility of them finding a way to blow it all up at 1.0 like Wolcen did or just implement MP and trade in a way that breaks the gameplay loop they have going.

I'm not going to turn this into a Bitter At My Ex rant (there are enough of those on the Reddit sub, good god, and I remember being turned off trying PoE for years because people talking about it were so Gamer Aggressive about Diablo 3), but I'm loving stuff like deterministic crafting materials (plus being able to extract them from items), the QoL improvements they aren't afraid to include, actually documenting the typical sprawling web of game mechanics inside the game, and genuinely decent controller support (which is apparently going to be improved in the patch somehow?). Looking good, EHG, looking Good.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
New monolith is super cool and good! I got bored with the old system almost immediately but the new implementation has me hooked. It's really fun to move around the map picking the rewards you want and getting the quest echoes deterministically is a welcome change. I finished my 3rd monolith and got a passive with actual stats instead of just drop rate boosts so it makes me even more excited to get all the blessings.

I also just started playing with item filters and they're incredible. Hiding crap aside, it's really cool to be able to effectively wishlist an item by going "oh if a weapon drops with 2 of these 4 affixes at t3 or better let me know". Or just like, I'm hoarding intelligence shards highlight stuff with t4-5 int.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
How are people enjoying the end-game?

I had a HELL OF A TIME beating the last boss, but managed it. Didn't use any build guides which is insanely rare for me, and felt like I steamrolled everything but that last encounter.

Did a few maps at the end and it was pretty fun. Is that pretty much the gist of it?

My biggest con is the gear. In addition to loot in this game being boring as hell (its terrible), there are games where you find gear and games where you craft gear. This seems to be the latter and I prefer the former. Also one of the (many) reasons I couldn't get into POE.

Diablo and Borderlands style loot-pinata games, where you can just equip and roll with it, do gear right. It seems if you can't meet the basic standards of variety and usefulness that their model offers then it's hard to capture my interest.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 25, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Jelly posted:

How are people enjoying the end-game?

I had a HELL OF A TIME beating the last boss, but managed it. Didn't use any build guides which is insanely rare for me, and felt like I steamrolled everything but that last encounter.

Did a few maps at the end and it was pretty fun. Is that pretty much the gist of it?

My biggest con is the gear. In addition to loot in this game being boring as hell (its terrible), there are games where you find gear and games where you craft gear. This seems to be the latter and I prefer the former. Also one of the (many) reasons I couldn't get into POE.

Diablo and Borderlands style loot-pinata games, where you can just equip and roll with it, do gear right. It seems if you can't meet the basic standards of variety and usefulness that their model offers then it's hard to capture my interest.

So my build is lich with drain life & Spirit plague plus skeletons (warriors only), skeletal mages from the necro tree (death knights only) and a Blood Golem. 10 tanky as gently caress minions and all Damage over time. Drain life is specced so it costs 70 mana but creates a stationary circle for 3 seconds and stacks Damned onto things. Spirit plague is my main damage, about 5k dps with drain pulling 2 but healing me like crazy.

I only ever died a couple times to the Wengari couple making GBS threads ice on me before I fixed my resists. Other than that nothing is too scary when you have a minion swarm and never need to stand still to do damage. Plus 1300 life and piles of leech. End boss was no exception, but again, when you never need to be in melee range or stand still for more than a couple casts every few seconds it's very easy to avoid damage.

As for gear/endgame, what I've found is this game is a mix of finding and crafting. You find stuff that's halfway decent and try your best to upgrade it or fill in open affixes. You will never take a blank white item and craft 4 tier 5 affixes, but you also aren't looking at drops solely off what they are. What you want to do is look at each slot and figure out what stats you want there, then set a filter color to that slot with any affixes you want, asking for 2 or 3 of them, maybe setting a minimum tier of 2-4. If you need shards just make a shard color and set it to whatever you're low on. Make a separate color for anything with +skill affixes.

Initially I was also a little unimpressed by the loot, but the item filters make it really easy to pick out good half-finished things and upgrade them. It's really cool to find something kinda good, or with a t5 you want and fill in the rest. T6-7 being drop only means you are also always on the lookout for top end stuff so the best gear always starts as drop-only and gets tweaked by crafting.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've been going through following a guide for a Death Seal Lich build, and I have no idea how anyone makes these guides, this game is ABSURDLY complicated. theres about 1000 stats and 1000 modifiers for each ability, despite that, some abilities are traps that do absolutely nothing. For example, for poison lich, you have Poison damage %, damage over time %, spell damage %, intelligence and spell crit that all basically do the same thing but some of them scale better or something? Also I looked at a pastebin for a loot filter and just figuring out this game is a full time job.

I think instead of 1 sprawling web of abilities where you want 1from this branch, and all of this other branch, and then 3/4 of this third branch, it could be a little better organized, so that if you want to do a certain build, its a little more obvious that you want to fill out all of the nodes from Tree A first, and then expand into Tree B or something. it might give you less freedom, but in these kind of games, you really only have the freedom to make good builds that people have posted, or your own worse builds. It doesn't have to be as simple as Diablo 3's skill system, but that was one nice thing about the game.

also, there's a bunch of different resists, but they don't matter because ideally, you'll have all of them capped before you finish the campaign, and it seems like its easy enough to keep them capped when swapping gear around so I'm not really sure why there needs to be that many. They could probably just collapse fire ice and lighting into "elemental resistance" and get rid of the individual ones. Maybe combine poison and necrotic too.

I think I might be missing something with crafted gear too. It seems like if you craft something from scratch (starting with grey items) it will always be worse than finding something with 2 stats perfect and adding 2 more because the instability means you can only upgrade something a limited number of times before it guaranteed fractures. So like, you can add 2 Tier 4 stats to a gray item, but once you start adding a third stat you might get to tier 3 but probably won't hit tier 4. So you need to farm for a blue item with the exact 2 stats you need and then add 2 more to it, while upgrading the ones it has. Since there are a million stats, doesn't that mean that rare items are never ever worth it? Since the odds of it rolling all 4 stats as ones that you want is almost 0. I don't know how many uniques you should be getting though. Is it like diablo where all of your gear should be unique?

also, are low level uniques powerful enough to use? like if I have a level 30 Humming Bee, that looks kinda cool, would it be useful at all past level 30?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

A Moose posted:

Since there are a million stats, doesn't that mean that rare items are never ever worth it? Since the odds of it rolling all 4 stats as ones that you want is almost 0.

Unless this was changed very recently, you can overwrite one property for another. So if a rare has the 2 great stats you’re looking for and the rest of the stats are worthless, just craft over the worthless ones.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I'm pretty sure you can't currently craft over affixes, but you can use a rune to remove bad ones (but it's random which one is removed so you run the risk of erasing one of the ones you wanted to keep).

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

A Moose posted:

I think instead of 1 sprawling web of abilities where you want 1from this branch, and all of this other branch, and then 3/4 of this third branch, it could be a little better organized, so that if you want to do a certain build, its a little more obvious that you want to fill out all of the nodes from Tree A first, and then expand into Tree B or something. it might give you less freedom, but in these kind of games, you really only have the freedom to make good builds that people have posted, or your own worse builds. It doesn't have to be as simple as Diablo 3's skill system, but that was one nice thing about the game.

I don't agree with this at all. It's not that hard to make a decent build by playing around with things, IMO. (Except poison/bleed, I haven't managed to make them feel good yet, but I'm also still leveling my Rogue/Bladedancer)

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't currently craft over affixes, but you can use a rune to remove bad ones (but it's random which one is removed so you run the risk of erasing one of the ones you wanted to keep).

This is correct; there is no overwriting, you'd have to get luck with removal runes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
From what I've seen all the skills are pretty well balanced. I've taken a DoT Necro to 77, played a rogue for a bit, and I'm working on a Glacier Mage. I don't think you ever really need to follow a guide, as there are only a few things to build for. Get passives and gear for your damage type, find a way to not die, pick an ailment maybe? That's about it. Most of the skill nodes are about playstyle rather than raw power so it's hard to gently caress up a build. Obviously don't main skill something that reduces damage in favor of utility or gives it a huge cooldown.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SynthesisAlpha posted:

From what I've seen all the skills are pretty well balanced. I've taken a DoT Necro to 77, played a rogue for a bit, and I'm working on a Glacier Mage. I don't think you ever really need to follow a guide, as there are only a few things to build for. Get passives and gear for your damage type, find a way to not die, pick an ailment maybe? That's about it. Most of the skill nodes are about playstyle rather than raw power so it's hard to gently caress up a build. Obviously don't main skill something that reduces damage in favor of utility or gives it a huge cooldown.

To generally play the game, I'd say that was true. But I've watched a bit of Boardman21 streaming high corruption Monoliths, and I'm pretty sure you will have to optimise your build for that. There's still at least four or five viable ways to play every class, though.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Funny that you should mention Boardman21, I'm using one of his video guides to level up a Void Knight. Working great so far.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cheap Trick posted:

Funny that you should mention Boardman21, I'm using one of his video guides to level up a Void Knight. Working great so far.

It's not exactly funny; he's by far the most prolific content creator for the game. If you've watched anything at all about LE on YouTube you've probably watched at least one of his 500+ videos.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I only found about him today by looking up a levelling guide on the official forums...

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, I used his Death Seal Lich leveling guide, he's basically the main content creator for this game

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I'm really digging this game. I got through the campaign with my own acolyte minion build, then realized it wasn't really that fun to play so I switched to this projectile minion build. Then after a while I switched to this cold minion build that just seems straight up better since it has your minions share a damage type. I did keep Transplant over Bone Golem though.

I'm on the last three normal monoliths currently, after which I guess I get empowered monoliths? Supposedly there's a big difficulty jump then, although I haven't had much trouble at all since I got some reasonable defensive affixes so hopefully I can handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Game is much better than when I first played like 6 months ago. The only good build then was some totem stuff but it still seemed pretty poo poo. It’s super fun now.