Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Launch was pretty decent after 5 or 7 days but there's still so much jank they can work on. Zone transitions still take like 5 seconds+ sometimes, for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

edit
wrong roguelike game

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Launch was pretty decent after 5 or 7 days but there's still so much jank they can work on. Zone transitions still take like 5 seconds+ sometimes, for whatever reason.

Yea, I just made my first online character last week and I was surprised to see that still exists.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Watched a bit of the new PoE league stream... all i get from it is a resigned "meh" :shrug: so Last Epoch continues. :peanut:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

everything i see form poe2 is like the complete opposite of what i want. ggg are always talking about how they want to slow the game down and make it more consequential and all i want to do is murder demons and assign points to skills that murder demons quicker so i get points faster.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ghostlight posted:

everything i see form poe2 is like the complete opposite of what i want. ggg are always talking about how they want to slow the game down and make it more consequential and all i want to do is murder demons and assign points to skills that murder demons quicker so i get points faster.

My current build I hold down right click and watch the whole screen explode and I love it so much

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ghostlight posted:

Correct.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Ghostlight posted:

I sometimes want that too but not from Path of Exile. There's a spectrum between the "ARPGs should be completely brain-turned-off basically-an-idle-clicker games but with cool particle effects" school of thought, and there's the "ARPGs should require careful coordination, planning, and perseverance to surmount the hardest challenges" school of thought, and I dabble in both extremes. I'm pretty happy about everything I've seen about PoE 2 so far, admittedly not having followed it that closely.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I'm playing Allie's cast on crit Rune master with the dagger that makes Frost Claw trigger Lightning Blast. I'm Solo Account Found (so CoF).

What's the minimum I need to make switching to the Nova version with the Ladle viable? She says you want a +3 FC relic, but I've seen others claim you also want a good 2 LP Ladle. I have an Unstable Core, which I gather is seen as pretty iffy overall. Could I wear it for a while to get another FC skill point without gimping myself too much?

I'm still having fun with this character as-is, but I'd accept a modest temporary loss of power to mix things up. I guess I need that Crest of Unity Nova helmet at a minimum, as well?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't see the two as mutually exclusive - i also want careful coordination, planning, and perseverance to surmount the hardest challenges, i just prefer those take place in the build process, in the gearing process, and for end-game bosses rather than in act one where my tools are unsupported skill gems and floor trash.
like, act one in poe (really every arpg) is the most boring act because you don't have any traversal tools, defensive layers, and none of your skills are really online. then ggg buffed all the monster numbers to update the act to their poe2 design philosophy, and now it's even more boring to get through and takes even longer to get to the fun parts of the game that is collecting build items, getting your map up and running so you can play the content you like, and exploding twenty demons a swing in between map bosses that do the same to you.

there's a reason they're often called trash mobs and it's not because i want to spend several minutes taking each one out to the curb.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ghostlight posted:

there's a reason they're often called trash mobs and it's not because i want to spend several minutes taking each one out to the curb.

Good post in general but I liked this a lot

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

marshalljim posted:

I'm playing Allie's cast on crit Rune master with the dagger that makes Frost Claw trigger Lightning Blast. I'm Solo Account Found (so CoF).

What's the minimum I need to make switching to the Nova version with the Ladle viable? She says you want a +3 FC relic, but I've seen others claim you also want a good 2 LP Ladle. I have an Unstable Core, which I gather is seen as pretty iffy overall. Could I wear it for a while to get another FC skill point without gimping myself too much?

I'm still having fun with this character as-is, but I'd accept a modest temporary loss of power to mix things up. I guess I need that Crest of Unity Nova helmet at a minimum, as well?

I went straight to artillery Nova as soon as I got the unique catalyst, worked good and uses less mana than the Lightning Blast dagger version. The nova is really only to apply that static burst debuff which is does on every hit if you spec it in the passive tree, and you can make nova free to cast.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ghostlight posted:

I want to see what they come up with for poe 2 because ggg tends to be very clever, but yeah I in no way want that replacing poe 1, which pretty much perfectly nails what you describe imo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

marshalljim posted:

I switched to it with a +3 FC relic and a 1LP ladle that I got a bad smash on (so the 1LP was useless) and it still destroyed everything. I don't see anything wrong with using Unstable Core to get a point, but I'd say you do need at least total +3 to FC from somewhere (plus the +1 from the Fragment). Running under 24 points in it is really hard -- the only place you can pull really points out of is either the mana efficiency nodes which you really need, or the chance to proc Nova which is what drives the DPS. 25 points is obviously optimal, but 24 works okay.

Crest of Unity is a big upgrade. I started without it but it does make a large difference. It's not that rare of a drop and aside from Prophecies you can target it by going after Unique Helmet rewards in Black Sun.

I'm now at a +4 FC relic (waiting to get a Rune of Creation so I can duplicate it, before I gamble smashing it onto a Heart) and an LP2 Crest of Unity that I got a good roll on, and the build wrecks everything. Only downside to it is you legitimately cannot see what is going on, so you better be able to facetank boss mechanics or identify them by what the boss is doing other than seeing the ground at all. Also I don't have much base health so I can get one-shot for like the first 15 seconds I am in a map if I'm not paying attention before I get my ward generation cooking. But right now I can facetank basically everything with 20-30k ward on bosses when it's rolling.

Hugest quality of life for me, and I'm sure you can relate coming from the Lightning Blast variant, is not having to use Flame Rush to apply a brand anymore. Just stand on the boss and hold down right click.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Is there an accessibility option that paints my damage zones as one color and enemy damage zones as a separate color? I occasionally get killed because I have a hard time differentiating my friendly fire damage zones from the zones of impending death that are on the ground (or some damage zones that are really understated and blend in to the background). Part of it is my relative dearth of gear/levels for where I'm at, but a big chunk of it is just not seeing some of the damage coming.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Thanks for the Nova advice, fellow goons. I think I'll farm up a Crest of Unity and give it a go.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dirk the Average posted:

Is there an accessibility option that paints my damage zones as one color and enemy damage zones as a separate color? I occasionally get killed because I have a hard time differentiating my friendly fire damage zones from the zones of impending death that are on the ground (or some damage zones that are really understated and blend in to the background). Part of it is my relative dearth of gear/levels for where I'm at, but a big chunk of it is just not seeing some of the damage coming.

what do you mean, this is perfectly readable

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I pressed "sort" on a tab full of keys and instantly developed severe OCD.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I pressed "sort" on a tab full of keys and instantly developed severe OCD.

oh god I did this once

You'd think it would sort them by type, wouldn't you?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i started out with meticulously sorting my keys in a tab and then said gently caress it after awhile and just shift click them in now

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The best part is the order is different every time.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I've been holding onto this since the first day of the cycle & noticed that the screen clearing rogue build uses it. how good is that build, realistically? is it 1000+ corruption viable? I seen it capped out at around 500 in arena, so I'm guessing maybe not. I'm just short of 1000 on my second character, but frankly feel done with it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

For item affixes that are like

+3 Aerial Assault
+76% Minion Damage

Does the second mod apply only to damage from that specific ability? You would intuitively think that'd be the case, but equipping the item will show a 76% increase to ALL minion damage on the character sheet, so I'm not sure what to believe.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

It's all minion damage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh, that seems insanely good then. It's weird that the Falconer guides on Maxroll suggest Dex as your second primary stat in most slots instead of skill + minion damage.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Oh, that seems insanely good then. It's weird that the Falconer guides on Maxroll suggest Dex as your second primary stat in most slots instead of skill + minion damage.

that's because increased minion damage is additive and raw stats are multipliers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Seems complicated but I don't want to think, just flip and cast dive bomb.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
This Frost Claw Runemaster business looks fun, gonna do that now. I've been leveling with the Nova version (I actually didn't know this was a 'build') but will switch when I can equip that dagger.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I think its because that affix can only roll on chest and maybe helmet?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

A Moose posted:

I think its because that affix can only roll on chest and maybe helmet?

It rolls on every piece of gear except maybe boots? And weapon, and weapon gets other minion related stuff like pen and flat damage. % increased damage is just worse than + relevant stat starting around the end of the campaign. % increased minion health is powerful though if your minions aren't a falcon or intended to die hut doesn't scale off health.

Generally the rule is More is More, increased is less, and everything that's a multiplier will let you know in the tool tip when you hover over it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tonetta posted:

It rolls on every piece of gear except maybe boots?

They're talking about +skill/minion damage which, like every other skill affix, is limited to helm, chest, and relic ( and most skills only roll on one or maybe two of these).

But the main stat bonus to damage is ALSO increased/additive, last I checked? The precise scaling depends on the skill so maybe there's some skill out there that gives More, but people might be getting that confused with D4?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

exquisite tea posted:

Seems complicated but I don't want to think, just flip and cast dive bomb.

Here's an easy way to think about it:

When you go from +0% minion damage to +100% minion damage, you just doubled your minion damage

When you go from +900% minion damage to +1000% minion damage, you just increased your minion damage by 10%

But both cases involved adding a piece of gear with +100% minion damage. So anything with +% of some kind of damage has diminishing returns

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Question about spell damage. Say I get an item that has + 45 spell lightning damage. I equip it, but my spell is cold damage. Would my spell do 45 cold damage + 200% cold damage because of modifiers + 45 lightning damage? Kinda confused on how it works.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
yes, you would just have a bit of extra lightning damage stapled on which would only get support from whatever +% spell damage you had, or any lightning damage increases you might otherwise have

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

tried another 2lp exsang slam last night. hit the t7 life% but necrotic resist instead of the damned chance so halfway successful. necrotic resist isnt terrible at least since im using boneclamor barbute.

i really like how intermediate upgrades in this build all feel immediately impactful since you gain a fat chunk of ward every time.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's because of the passives you can take that scale off of Dex, like Agile Hunt (additional falcon throwing damage per 4 Dex)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

They're talking about +skill/minion damage which, like every other skill affix, is limited to helm, chest, and relic ( and most skills only roll on one or maybe two of these).

But the main stat bonus to damage is ALSO increased/additive, last I checked? The precise scaling depends on the skill so maybe there's some skill out there that gives More, but people might be getting that confused with D4?

ah my b, my reading was based on just increased minion damage, since some of the + minion skill mods don't have minion damage, but some other stat. str/dex/int are all multipliers, not sure about attunement but I think that's a multiplier as well

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kaddish posted:

This Frost Claw Runemaster business looks fun, gonna do that now. I've been leveling with the Nova version (I actually didn't know this was a 'build') but will switch when I can equip that dagger.

it works pretty good for normal, not sure how well it'll keep up once I hit empowered monos tho. It's already a huge mana suck, but idk that my equipment is particularly well-balanced for it. The one thing I'm not sure about - frostbite boots give it a huge boost from cold pen, right, and frostbite boots + shackles jump your freeze multiplier & thus your cold pen with frostbite up even more. Are you better off just blasting frost claws with all the bounce nodes active and area invocations for max mana into frostbite stacks (which then lets you use a more appropriate wand/staff maybe?) , or using lightning blast with a couple points in the chaining nodes to try and make more hits for the boots & gloves to proc off?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What are some fun things for druid to do? I'm trying out a swarmblade tornado lightning build, and it seems like it's almost there. Part of it is I don't have the attack speed or crit to make it really shine, but also it seems like it lacks aoe and mobility. well, not exactly mobility, you have a short dash, it's just not much good for crossing maps, unless you change back into human and use the jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm a little confused with the Allie frost claw builds. She talks about wanting to have Reowyn's Frostguard up as a runic invocation which is cold, fire, cold. Then lists various configurations:

I'm not sure how she's getting the cold, fire, cold combo with some of these. Or, more likely, I don't know how the runes work with the immutable node.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 22, 2024