Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I’m finding that running a character through the first three chapters to get to masteries isn’t as much of a slog as I was afraid it would be. Once you’ve done it a couple times it becomes pretty simple to just zone out and click your way through. Then things can pick up as your build gets the fun skills that the masteries unlock.

Currently doing a minion build Forge Guard and having a bunch of swords follow me everywhere is a delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
What's the best place to find last epoch builds?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

boardman21 on youtube shits out builds like his life depended on it. has leveling guides as well

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Masonity posted:

What's the best place to find last epoch builds?

The official forums. This post looks like a good place to start. That guy, boardman21, seems to be the most active, high-profile build creator for this game and has a lot of stuff on his YouTube channel.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

marshalljim posted:

The official forums. This post looks like a good place to start. That guy, boardman21, seems to be the most active, high-profile build creator for this game and has a lot of stuff on his YouTube channel.

Boardman21 is who Zizaran referred to in his video on this game, and he even said that he was using boardman21's build himself, so that's the guy I've been looking at for build ideas/guides/suggestions.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Picked this game up the other day and went with a sentinel and started with warpath which was fun, but javelin looked interesting so now I have a holy paladin warpath/jav thing that seems to be decent, and hits pretty hard with jav and use warpath to Regen mana which I wasn't sure would work at first but seems ok atm.

Been enjoying the game so far, went in mostly blind only looked up a few things about crafting. Definitely feels decent and seems like it's getting to be in a decent place even for an early access game.

Definitely look forward to playing some different builds and seeing were the game goes, the little tidbits I have got about endgame stuff sounds pretty interesting too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I played the Javelin paladin up to the mid 50's and decided that I really prefer the warpath lifestyle over the javelin / holy path or whatever it is lifestyle, so now I'm leveling yet another sentinel with the plan to go full-in on void and do a warpath void-knight.

Of course since I'm still way below the specialization point, it's just a duplicate of what I did before with the paladin, but game is still new enough that running through it again (actually a third time, also leveling a sorcerer) isn't a big deal. I really do enjoy the 2-hander warpath thing, just feels good.

I definitely need to find some health on hit or health leech on melee damage gear though... so squishy.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Man, i really can't get my character to work the way i want it but this new patch really sunk its hooks in me again. Now, what's the best advice for somebody who needs to gear up because level 55 stuff is beating me to a pulp?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm an unbelievable mark for any ARPG with a Necromancer/minion class, I'll try them all at least one. I also like the sound of a game that is in the middle between D3 and POE. I loved D3 but I've gone as far with that game as I can and I don't feel great playing Actiblizz games right now, and I tried POE like 4-5 times and bounced off it every time.

When it comes down to class distinctiveness where does this game fall, with D3 on one end of the scale with every class being very distinctive with it's own playstyle and unique items, and POE at the other end with skills being slottable items and classes being equippable weapons and their passive trees?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

The Locator posted:

I played the Javelin paladin up to the mid 50's and decided that I really prefer the warpath lifestyle over the javelin / holy path or whatever it is lifestyle, so now I'm leveling yet another sentinel with the plan to go full-in on void and do a warpath void-knight.

Of course since I'm still way below the specialization point, it's just a duplicate of what I did before with the paladin, but game is still new enough that running through it again (actually a third time, also leveling a sorcerer) isn't a big deal. I really do enjoy the 2-hander warpath thing, just feels good.

I definitely need to find some health on hit or health leech on melee damage gear though... so squishy.

Ah, I never tried holy trail cause of the CD, I just throw bombs with divine fury and strategic patience, while using lunge to constantly zoom to the next pack, feels almost poe level of zoomy.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Pierson posted:

I'm an unbelievable mark for any ARPG with a Necromancer/minion class, I'll try them all at least one. I also like the sound of a game that is in the middle between D3 and POE. I loved D3 but I've gone as far with that game as I can and I don't feel great playing Actiblizz games right now, and I tried POE like 4-5 times and bounced off it every time.

When it comes down to class distinctiveness where does this game fall, with D3 on one end of the scale with every class being very distinctive with it's own playstyle and unique items, and POE at the other end with skills being slottable items and classes being equippable weapons and their passive trees?

Closer to the D3 side, skills are all class locked or even mastery locked. Things feel distinct and they do minion swarm really well.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Rakeris posted:

Ah, I never tried holy trail cause of the CD, I just throw bombs with divine fury and strategic patience, while using lunge to constantly zoom to the next pack, feels almost poe level of zoomy.

Holy trail was capital B busted until the recent hot fix. It’s lost 75% of its damage and is still very strong and synergizes very well with judgement, which is also incredibly good.

hotdog feet posted:

Man, i really can't get my character to work the way i want it but this new patch really sunk its hooks in me again. Now, what's the best advice for somebody who needs to gear up because level 55 stuff is beating me to a pulp?

What build are you playing?

You can go and do monoliths after finishing chapter 8 instead of going into chapter 9 directly. That might help you gear up.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

explosivo posted:

Thanks for posting this, I started a new game going for this build and it's incredible. It's incredibly satisfying seeing a build come together as you get key upgrades that take it from "oh yeah this is pretty good!" to "holy poo poo everything is dying around me" in no time. It just feels like all the skills in this game have so many game changing upgrades and different ways you can tweak a build to your liking and it's really great.

Nice, glad you're enjoying it. Been traveling a ton for work lately and haven't had much time to play since. I agree about the build & the way things feel leveling broadly speaking. Kinda feels like a slog at first until the tree & skill levels start ramping up, then it was just melting stuff.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Holy trail was capital B busted until the recent hot fix. It’s lost 75% of its damage and is still very strong and synergizes very well with judgement, which is also incredibly good.

You can go and do monoliths after finishing chapter 8 instead of going into chapter 9 directly. That might help you gear up.

Dang, I tried holy trail for a minute but just couldn't deal with the way it played early on. I know it's probably faster to just level & respec, but I kinda enjoy the process of just picking a skill & tree and making it good in this game.

The Locator posted:

Huh, what didn't you like about javelin? I had a VK that I respecced into warpath around 60 now and it just feels so-so to me still. I was having more fun actually playing my old build. In fairness, I guess I haven't played it that much since I respecced really, so maybe things are still underleveled & the synergies aren't quite there yet. Like I don't mind spin2win gameplay, but it felt worse than other iterations I've tried.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hauki posted:

Huh, what didn't you like about javelin? I had a VK that I respecced into warpath around 60 now and it just feels so-so to me still. I was having more fun actually playing my old build. In fairness, I guess I haven't played it that much since I respecced really, so maybe things are still underleveled & the synergies aren't quite there yet. Like I don't mind spin2win gameplay, but it felt worse than other iterations I've tried.

I'm a fairly slow/methodical type player. I occasionally like going fast, but mostly I'm content to putter along and make sure everyone dies, and inspect or scoop up all the shiny things on the ground (I used strict loot filters so I only see stuff that might actually be useful).

The Holy Trail playstyle is to just cast it in front of you while running, never stopping to pick up anything, just keep on casting and let all the trash chasing you die in the fire behind you. This works well, but hearing all those shiny golds dropping behind me and not going back to pick it all up just hurt my brain. I could play it slower, casting it into the mobs and sort of dragging them into it, but it was tedious because it's such a narrow path and archers would stand 1 pixel outside the area of effect and make me cast another one, and the cooldown is pretty bad for that style of play. Making the cooldown a lot shorter or giving it a larger area of affect would make it work great, but would also be stupidly overpowered.

Dunno, just didn't click with me, but I still have that guy sitting at level 50 so maybe I'll go back and try to finish leveling it later. For now I've got the Void Knight up to about level 45 or so, and having fun, although when I hit the cold area with about 5% cold resist I drat near died a few times so I had to go back to town and do some crafting magic to cap my cold resist, then went back and it was a cakewalk.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The Locator posted:

I'm a fairly slow/methodical type player. I occasionally like going fast, but mostly I'm content to putter along and make sure everyone dies, and inspect or scoop up all the shiny things on the ground (I used strict loot filters so I only see stuff that might actually be useful).

The Holy Trail playstyle is to just cast it in front of you while running, never stopping to pick up anything, just keep on casting and let all the trash chasing you die in the fire behind you. This works well, but hearing all those shiny golds dropping behind me and not going back to pick it all up just hurt my brain. I could play it slower, casting it into the mobs and sort of dragging them into it, but it was tedious because it's such a narrow path and archers would stand 1 pixel outside the area of effect and make me cast another one, and the cooldown is pretty bad for that style of play. Making the cooldown a lot shorter or giving it a larger area of affect would make it work great, but would also be stupidly overpowered.

Dunno, just didn't click with me, but I still have that guy sitting at level 50 so maybe I'll go back and try to finish leveling it later. For now I've got the Void Knight up to about level 45 or so, and having fun, although when I hit the cold area with about 5% cold resist I drat near died a few times so I had to go back to town and do some crafting magic to cap my cold resist, then went back and it was a cakewalk.

You probably should mix holy trail with another skill. It would work nicely with warpath if you could get the mana to work out. Stacking attack speed on rive and using it to stack ailments and proc holy flame burst (super strong!) from holy aura is also great. Double slash rive is also a powerful mana generator for pious offering judgement, which has nice synergy with javelin. Holy trail gives you bonkers healing and solid damage in one package, so you don’t need to run around so much, you can just pick another damage skill, stand in your trail and tank everything.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I was trying to make a lightning/phys hurricane shaman work but i just didn't plan it out right. Missed a lot of good survivability nodes and wasn't paying enough attention to gear. I made a Necro instead and took your advice to do monoliths instead of pushing through chapter 9 and it made a big difference. Thanks for the tip.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Heithinn Grasida posted:

You probably should mix holy trail with another skill. It would work nicely with warpath if you could get the mana to work out. Stacking attack speed on rive and using it to stack ailments and proc holy flame burst (super strong!) from holy aura is also great. Double slash rive is also a powerful mana generator for pious offering judgement, which has nice synergy with javelin. Holy trail gives you bonkers healing and solid damage in one package, so you don’t need to run around so much, you can just pick another damage skill, stand in your trail and tank everything.

Yeah, all was good until the late 40's where the build transitioned out of warpath to some other skill I forget right now (as a newbie was just following a build guide). When I had both warpath and holy trail it was great.

After I finish the void knight I may go back to that character, spec back into warpath and abandon the rest of that build guide and just wing it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Finally had my first deaths in the game. No punishment that I can tell other than the humiliation of failure. Got to Lagon at level 55 (or maybe 56), and died at the hands, or crab claws or whatever of Lagon when I brilliantly time-reversed myself directly into his primary splat attack. Twice.

Other than that, void knight has been smooth sailing pretty much. I do miss having the lunge ability to zip across the screen to close range with the ranged guys, who are kind of my nemesis when I'm whirling around in circles and move fairly slow, but so far manage to make them miss enough by just closing the range at an angle.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well had my first death, some boss dog in act 9 hits like a truck, made me think I needed more than 700 hp, but not bothered to get more yet and still trucking on!

Enjoying the game, definitely look forward to see where it goes. Have like a number of other classes and builds I want to try, any recommendations of particularly fun builds?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So at level 58 I am now doing maps I guess? Monolith things.

Is that the end of the game for now, or does the story pick up again after completing enough of these monolith things?

Void Knight trip report... fun times, other than the previously reported deaths to Lagon, sailed through to the Monolith's without a problem. If this was my 2nd play-through I am fairly confident this character would still be death free.

I picked up an item that gives +all resists while channeling, and since I'm channelling 99% of the time, it's good stuff. Resists at level 58 while warpathing:

Also I didn't realize just how drat good these boots are when I picked them up. I've been wearing them since they dropped sometime in the early 20's and now I'm fairly sure that they'll never be replaced on this character.

Still having fun, but surprised that I'm in the 'end game' of mapping at this point in the leveling, unless of course I'm wrong and this is just a step towards more of the story. It's an interesting twist on the PoE maps, and I think I prefer it, as the randomness of map drops in PoE was always incredibly frustrating to me.

It does appear that I can never repeat one of these maps/nodes or whatever they are though as when I click on them I get a button that says 'completed' rather than a start button. Hopefully that doesn't mean you can get hosed if you get to a point you can't get past, as I assume the level and difficulty of these nodes keeps increasing as I complete more of them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Locator posted:

So at level 58 I am now doing maps I guess? Monolith things.

Is that the end of the game for now, or does the story pick up again after completing enough of these monolith things?

Currently there's only 9 chapters out of a planned 12 available, so yeah, it's monos for now.

There are nodes in monoliths that reset all your completed nodes, as well as corrupted nodes that completely reset the entire web.

And yeah, the difficulty keeps going up, and once you finish all three of the level 90 monos, you unlock empowered monos that start at level 100 and 100 corruption and have much bigger map penalties (but also way higher rare item drop rate).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Currently there's only 9 chapters out of a planned 12 available, so yeah, it's monos for now.

There are nodes in monoliths that reset all your completed nodes, as well as corrupted nodes that completely reset the entire web.

And yeah, the difficulty keeps going up, and once you finish all three of the level 90 monos, you unlock empowered monos that start at level 100 and 100 corruption and have much bigger map penalties (but also way higher rare item drop rate).

Cool, thanks.

Another dumb question. Do most people try to clear the entire node or just beeline the objective, portal and collect the node loot and run another one? It's not like PoE where you run as much as possible because you need to sustain maps, so I'm wondering how most people do it - maximize number of nodes per time, or maximize experience/loot per node by cleaning them out.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

beeline objectives & gtfo, definitely not worth full clearing monos

I keep starting new chars though so I haven’t spent a ton of time in empowered monos yet, not sure if the drop balance shifts once you get deeper there

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I opened up the level 62 timeline, which resets the level 58 timeline. Do I have to re-run the level 58 timeline to open up the level 66 timeline? It's showing a quest there to explore the other timelines, or can I open the 66 from the 62? I'm currently running the 62 with no issues, but I'm kind of a completionist/OCD type so I'll be annoyed if I don't complete that dumb quest thing I'm sure.

Hauki posted:

beeline objectives & gtfo, definitely not worth full clearing monos

I keep starting new chars though so I haven’t spent a ton of time in empowered monos yet, not sure if the drop balance shifts once you get deeper there

Thanks, that's what I've been doing now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So after re-logging I realized that the opening of the 62 timeline didn't reset the 58 one. Not sure what I saw that made me think that. I've now done enough more in the 58 line to unlock the 66 line and I've been running that timeline which is definitely more challenging, but still not bad and I haven't died.

I also did an arena to wave 50 at which point I stopped just because I needed to take a break from the computer for a bit. Interesting, but not terribly impressed with the rewards vs. just running the nodes.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

The Locator posted:

So after re-logging I realized that the opening of the 62 timeline didn't reset the 58 one. Not sure what I saw that made me think that. I've now done enough more in the 58 line to unlock the 66 line and I've been running that timeline which is definitely more challenging, but still not bad and I haven't died.

I also did an arena to wave 50 at which point I stopped just because I needed to take a break from the computer for a bit. Interesting, but not terribly impressed with the rewards vs. just running the nodes.

It sounds like you've already figured this out, but there's a choice at the end of the timeline's story that unlocks one of the connecting timelines. You need to run the story of the timeline twice to unlock both of them. There will be other timelines with multiple unlocks later on.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kevos Setzer posted:

It sounds like you've already figured this out, but there's a choice at the end of the timeline's story that unlocks one of the connecting timelines. You need to run the story of the timeline twice to unlock both of them. There will be other timelines with multiple unlocks later on.

Thanks. Even after unlocking the 66 I wasn't sure because I haven't run enough of the 62 to see what was available to unlock that way, or whether it changed based on whether I had run the 58 twice.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Locator posted:

Thanks. Even after unlocking the 66 I wasn't sure because I haven't run enough of the 62 to see what was available to unlock that way, or whether it changed based on whether I had run the 58 twice.

Yeah, there's a couple of monoliths that are like that.

Keep an eye out for verbiage like [Unlocks Level 75 Monolith] vs [Unlocks Level 80 Monolith] in the dialogue during the echo quests.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm having the same 'problem' with this game that I always ran into in PoE... I get a really nice weapon that has all the types of stats I want on it, and it's just drat near impossible to find an upgrade for the next 30 levels.

Example: I have a sword with +70 base melee damage, +120% crit multi as implicit.
Affixes are +47 flat void damage, +34% attack rate, +15 health on hit, and one generic +2 all attributes.

Finding a new weapon (2h axe or sword) to replace this has been basically impossible. Even base +130 melee damage axes I can never get with the other things needed (even ignoring the implicit for something else). Trying to craft off of a good base always bricks long before getting to the numbers on this sword, which I got around level 50, and I'm now level 76 and it's still the best weapon by far.

I kind of get gear paralysis after capping out all my resists, as due to the RNG nature of these games, even with a solid/strict loot filter, the vast majority of the stuff that shows up is garbage. Once in a while I'll find something that would be great except it has 2 'minion' affixes and I always lose the RNG game trying to remove the minion affixes to replace them with the resists or whatever that I'd need to actually make the item a good upgrade.

The game kind of rewards zoom-zoom through the monoliths, and punishes you in many of them for stopping to look at drops (zap zap from your objectives), so most of the gear that drops only gets looked at if the colors are showing something is higher tiered affixes.

How do you guys deal with this and improve your gear after hitting monoliths and getting a 'base' set of gear that caps all your resists?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Also, as a followup question. Do I understand the way resists work correctly - if I have 75 poison resistance and I am in a level 75 zone, then my actual poison resist is 0 and I need 150 poison resist to be capped?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
No, the game is balanced around 0 resists. You'll want 75% in that 75 zone.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Magus42 posted:

No, the game is balanced around 0 resists. You'll want 75% in that 75 zone.

Excellent, thanks. I have about 80% on my lowest resist when I'm spinning (thanks 22% all resists while channeling thingie).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Some overcap on resist is good, since resist shred is a thing. As far as I know, overcap does not do anything to the passive penetration monsters get at higher levels.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

the VK smite thing is busted lol, I respecced my warpath dude to it last night and was steamrolling monoliths right away, it feels about on par with the old eq bear so far

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

If I'm respecing a build what is the best way to level up skills again? Feels kind of weak trying to go though monoliths, is there a way to tell what level a zone is? Are there any exp caps on zones based on character level?

RaisinGirl
Nov 28, 2012
Is the game easy enough playing campaign on normal that I can just play around with different skills and see what I enjoy before finding a proper endgame build?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RaisinGirl posted:

Is the game easy enough playing campaign on normal that I can just play around with different skills and see what I enjoy before finding a proper endgame build?

Yeah absolutely. It gets harder later on for sure and you'll need to figure something out eventually but it's not really punishingly hard so yeah go in and screw around and see what works.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

RaisinGirl posted:

It's pretty easy to just wing it into a build that clears the campaign.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Big Druid overhaul incoming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81uvI8lzReM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The werebear form looks really good. Honestly all the effort spent on upgrading the graphics and animations make the game feel a lot better to play. Werebear was already a blast to play, with some hilariously broken builds with the right items, so this looks great.

Really excited for multiplayer and the coolest class (falconer).