Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
New monolith is super cool and good! I got bored with the old system almost immediately but the new implementation has me hooked. It's really fun to move around the map picking the rewards you want and getting the quest echoes deterministically is a welcome change. I finished my 3rd monolith and got a passive with actual stats instead of just drop rate boosts so it makes me even more excited to get all the blessings.

I also just started playing with item filters and they're incredible. Hiding crap aside, it's really cool to be able to effectively wishlist an item by going "oh if a weapon drops with 2 of these 4 affixes at t3 or better let me know". Or just like, I'm hoarding intelligence shards highlight stuff with t4-5 int.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Jelly posted:

How are people enjoying the end-game?

I had a HELL OF A TIME beating the last boss, but managed it. Didn't use any build guides which is insanely rare for me, and felt like I steamrolled everything but that last encounter.

Did a few maps at the end and it was pretty fun. Is that pretty much the gist of it?

My biggest con is the gear. In addition to loot in this game being boring as hell (its terrible), there are games where you find gear and games where you craft gear. This seems to be the latter and I prefer the former. Also one of the (many) reasons I couldn't get into POE.

Diablo and Borderlands style loot-pinata games, where you can just equip and roll with it, do gear right. It seems if you can't meet the basic standards of variety and usefulness that their model offers then it's hard to capture my interest.

So my build is lich with drain life & Spirit plague plus skeletons (warriors only), skeletal mages from the necro tree (death knights only) and a Blood Golem. 10 tanky as gently caress minions and all Damage over time. Drain life is specced so it costs 70 mana but creates a stationary circle for 3 seconds and stacks Damned onto things. Spirit plague is my main damage, about 5k dps with drain pulling 2 but healing me like crazy.

I only ever died a couple times to the Wengari couple making GBS threads ice on me before I fixed my resists. Other than that nothing is too scary when you have a minion swarm and never need to stand still to do damage. Plus 1300 life and piles of leech. End boss was no exception, but again, when you never need to be in melee range or stand still for more than a couple casts every few seconds it's very easy to avoid damage.

As for gear/endgame, what I've found is this game is a mix of finding and crafting. You find stuff that's halfway decent and try your best to upgrade it or fill in open affixes. You will never take a blank white item and craft 4 tier 5 affixes, but you also aren't looking at drops solely off what they are. What you want to do is look at each slot and figure out what stats you want there, then set a filter color to that slot with any affixes you want, asking for 2 or 3 of them, maybe setting a minimum tier of 2-4. If you need shards just make a shard color and set it to whatever you're low on. Make a separate color for anything with +skill affixes.

Initially I was also a little unimpressed by the loot, but the item filters make it really easy to pick out good half-finished things and upgrade them. It's really cool to find something kinda good, or with a t5 you want and fill in the rest. T6-7 being drop only means you are also always on the lookout for top end stuff so the best gear always starts as drop-only and gets tweaked by crafting.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
From what I've seen all the skills are pretty well balanced. I've taken a DoT Necro to 77, played a rogue for a bit, and I'm working on a Glacier Mage. I don't think you ever really need to follow a guide, as there are only a few things to build for. Get passives and gear for your damage type, find a way to not die, pick an ailment maybe? That's about it. Most of the skill nodes are about playstyle rather than raw power so it's hard to gently caress up a build. Obviously don't main skill something that reduces damage in favor of utility or gives it a huge cooldown.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Anno posted:

I’ve just recently started playing this and it seems really good. Like you can definitely see the budget limitations here and there, but the gameplay is solid and the UI is probably the best of these games I’ve played?

Somehow each skill having its own skill tree is even more overwhelming than PoEs passive skill tree. It seems more flexible to try stuff out and respec at least.

The way you have to look at it is that each skill is just its own thing and the trees exist to bend and shape that skill in a way that fits your build. Play with every skill and find out if it's fun, and if you like it, then you browse the tree and figure out how to plug it into everything else. Most skills are super adaptable and can convert between multiple elements, or swap from damage to utility, or go from a long cooldown burst move to a rapid use primary damage move, etc.

The hard part is figuring out which damage type you're going to stick with so you can allocate passives and pick up the right items. Fortunately the only permanent choice is your secondary class so with enough gold and a backup item set you can completely respec a character outside of that one choice.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Crafting is also incredible now. It's way more satisfying and there's a lot more room for decision making.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

I got into Last Epoch after reading a bunch of hype about it on SA, and I definitely agree that it has great potential. Played maybe 20 hours total, with the mage and the two most obvious minion classes, and almost made it to the end of chapter 3 with a primalist leaning on minions until he can pivot to werebear. The core gameplay loop is pretty fun, and the potential of those skill combos is very exciting. Kind of a shame they had to nerf the temporary ghost spawning skill that was making hundreds of minions, but I can appreciate that it might have been hard on multiplayer if someone wasn't using a high end computer. Really liked the way the ragdoll physics can have enemies getting thrown off cliffs or bridges.

At this point, my main issue is with the sound design. Most of the music, sound effects and voice acting feels like it's lacking a little bit of punch. I really loved the sound of the first two Diablo games, and so far I haven't had any area themes or combat barks that made me sit back and go WOAH. Hopefully they can kick it up a bit in future areas.

The mage was decent, as far as impactful-feeling skills. But if I close my eyes and summon a primalist totem, I don't really have any way of telling whether the cast went through. Wolves are also super-quiet. That howl button gives you more of a grunt. Fortunately, they're still releasing revamped models for early enemies. I don't think a glow-up on sound effects is entirely out of question in the future.

EDIT: I am a fan of static maps, but it kind of sucks that my in-game map resets every time I portal out and back. I have had to revisit areas a couple of times, would have been nice to be able to just pull up a map and beeline directly to the place I missed.

Interesting note on the sound because playing my ice mage I found that Glacier has the best CRONCH sound and I really love the ice cannon spell sound as it gains cast speed.

Playing a paladin void knight right now and I guess I haven't really cared about the sound effects much, but the feel of the skills is still great. Void cleave and erasing strike both have great heavy slam feel and combat is fun and fluid as a melee class.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

How complete is this game? Can you play through and beat all the bosses or are there still regions yet to be added?

There's still more story to be added 3 classes are missing one of their 3 specialization (but that's still 5 base classes and 12 specs). There are more systems planned for endgame but they currently have Monoliths (the main endgame system, 10 regions that have a web of zones you explore clearing and building up a progress bar to do story missions that unlock small permanent buffs), Arena (endless waves of monsters, chance to quit every 5 waves or keep going and risk no rewards on a death), and one Dungeon (special mechanics, unique boss and rewards, current dungeon is for adding extra stats onto unique items).

It's currently a very good ARPG with lots of content and is worth the money, although that really depends on what you want to get out of the game. If you care about finishing the story and beating the base game, then no it's not done, wait for 1.0. If you want to grind maps and upgrade gear and hit lvl 100 and push a build to the limit that's mostly there, although admittedly I haven't pushed that far into the endgame to confirm how it gets towards late endgame content.

I think there's a group of people who are waiting for multiplayer and trading to exist because current characters will not be usable in multiplayer.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

How dedicated do i need to be to damage type? So far going hybrid non-elemental dot seems decent so far, but will i need to commit to bleed vs poison at some point?

It depends on class but I think everyone pretty much settles on one damage type, which is why so many skills can swap elements.

It's just not typically efficient to try to wrangle two different elements, but you might be able to skate by on Damage over time being its own affix.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
The issue with ailment dots is they don't scale with your weapon damage or attributes. All you get is their base flat damage to work with. No idea if any skills change that mechanism, though!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Vinestalk posted:

Best advice I can give for adapting a build to endgame monoliths is find the skill you really enjoy using the most, get it down to 0 mana cost via tree or gear, find ways to trigger other skills of similar damage type off of using that skill, specialize those skills but don't put them on your bar, and instead put buffs/movement/survival stuff on your bar.

There's probably insane builds out there that don't need the survival stuff, using PoE level min/maxing that poo poo out DPS, but the above has worked for me.

Most skills get a pretty big chunk of their damage from their skill trees, though. Plus you really only need two damage skills - one with a cooldown and one without for using between. That leaves 3 skills for defense/movement/utility and that's enough. As examples my Void Knight does fine with just Lunge and Rebuke as utility, my Lich run Spirit Plague and Drain Life for damage and just fills the rest with minions (Skeletons, Skeletal Mages, Bone Golem). My Sorcerer runs Glacier for packs and Ice Barrage for boss DPS with Focus, Flame Shield, and Teleport.

Likewise, trying to get your skills triggered and unspecced seems terrible? Like I have Abyssal Echoes on my Void Knight (which does a piddly void DoT) because specializing makes it grant my Erasing Strikes a fat 80% more multiplier on damage AND a 700 point armor shred. You can get Void Cleave to autocast Abyssal Echoes on use but without the skill points it's just a crappy DoT instead of a move I use to double the damage of my big slam.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Vinestalk posted:

We're explaining the same thing, buddy. I think something got lost in translation.

Specialize skills you trigger. But don't put them on your hotbar. That's the point I was making.

OH poo poo, yes okay, I didn't realize you meant to put unspecialized utility skills while speccing into trigger skills. I had it backwards in my head for some reason like you're triggering unspecced damage skills to spec into more utilities.

Yeah I would absolutely do that with Abyssal Echoes but VK has no good way to reduce mana costs and VK mana costs are BRUTAL. Took me like, 9 tiers of mana regen affixes to get a comfortable amount of regen to spam my skills on cooldown.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Dr_Gee posted:

what's funny is that, coming off Grim Dawn, LE's respeccing is still overly punitive and the UI for it isn't great

like, every time you want to redo a passive having it ask "are you ABSOLUTELY SURE!!!!!! you want to SPEND THIS ENORMOUS SUM OF MONEY* to free up THIS SINGLE PASSIVE POINT?!?!?!?!?!?!" is a bit much

*in no way an enormous sum of money

i 100% see that if you're coming off PoE, it's going to be like a massive breath of freedom, though

Definitely should be a checkbox to disable confirmation prompts. Love the dramatic take on it, though.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

I said come in! posted:

When multiplayer is introduced I hope last epoch still has offline and local saving.

It will, single player characters will remain as offline only. Multiplayer will start with only fresh characters, and presumably be stored online to prevent save editing.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Started playing this game a few days ago, just hit level 85 and I've decided it's time to deal with 'the idol situation'

I've picked up every idol the entire game and haven't tossed one yet, I have over 10 full stash tabs and now begins the great sortening.

That is wild and absurd and good luck. As a suggestion, figure out what kind of idols you actually want, set your loot filter up and dump everything on the ground.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I don't personally see the purpose in having a cost associated with skill and passive respecs, especially not in a single player or non-persistent multiplayer game.

Oh boy I got a new unique that works with a certain skill. I'd like to try it out but I only get half the skill points of my current skill, and if I don't like it, I have to re-level my other skill and am punished for experimenting!

In reference to other systems with costly respecs, or as a means to force a cost to respecs, Last Epoch does a good job and it's an interesting system. The problem is that costly respecs discourage the best parts of having a complicated set of skills, passives, gear, and interactions between them: experimentation.

There's really no reason skill mastery has to be lost when you change it. Just give each skill its own mastery stats. If I switch off of X skill, let me have the same progress when I come back to it. Why punish the player for trying something else?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Put another hour into this yesterday instead of playing GOTD Elden Ring, and still got no Dungeon Keys despite running the arena a half dozen times.

Welp, see you next patch when hopefully I can actually experience the content of this patch!

I also played like an hour and got 2x soulfire bastion keys and 1x temporal sanctum. Ran soulfire at t1 (lvl45) and it was neat. Swapping immunities is a cool mechanic and the gambler gave me exalted items on 4/6 pulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Gonna be really cool if they include a crafting faction, too. Neat system because it's expandable and each thing is a cool optional playstyle.