Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

A Moose posted:

Since there are a million stats, doesn't that mean that rare items are never ever worth it? Since the odds of it rolling all 4 stats as ones that you want is almost 0.

Unless this was changed very recently, you can overwrite one property for another. So if a rare has the 2 great stats you’re looking for and the rest of the stats are worthless, just craft over the worthless ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Eve Online says hello

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
warlock when

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Is it common to release a launch trailer a full month before launch?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Tomorrow is Jan. 21st, but 1.0 is releasing on Feb. 21st. Did… did someone mix up the month?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

An Actual Princess posted:

is this game still genderlocked

Truga posted:

yes, unfortunately
they said they might change that in the future if it's successful enough to allow it

that sucks. bad design.
It would certainly be nice, but it's less of a design decision and more of a budgetary constraint. You're talking double the character models, double the animations, double the gear rigging, double the voice actors, and double the opening (and maybe final victory) story slides. And AFAIK you can't customize anything about the baseline characters' appearance; all customization is done through gear. I can understand why this wouldn't be the highest priority.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 14, 2024

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Yeah, D4's single-player campaign is fine. Definitely not $70 fine, but worth a playthrough if you have Gamepass already.

All the fundamental problems only really become apparent in the endgame. The game's engine has some surprising limitations, and the endgame structure seems to go out of its way to accentuate those limits.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
While I personally dislike one-button specs (like WW and similar), other people can play whatever they like. Let’s not pretend that there’s a massive skill gap in play with ARPGs, or that it would matter even if there was.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure what this means

Yeah, this is part of what I was talking about when I mention the game’s “surprising engine limitations”. The main form of character customization in the game is the legendary power system, which lets you attach unique powers to every piece of gear. The core system is alright, but a side effect is that it encourages you to develop a “wardrobe” of backup items so that you can potentially swap around multiple powers whenever you find an upgrade in one slot.

This is where the technical fuckery comes in. The stashes are propagated to every player in an open world game, forcing a limit to their size. They aren’t large enough to accommodate more than one character, and the stash is shared across all your season’s characters. Playing more than one character to a high level is thus totally non-viable. All of this is hardcoded and cannot be changed.

And don’t get me started on the dungeon keystone system. They made an ARPG engine that cannot procgen dungeon layouts, and coupled it with an endgame activity that encourages you to run the exact same dungeon again and again. It’s like a gameplay designer looked at the programming limitations in place and specifically tried to sabotage the final game.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Dukberry posted:

Personally, I don't find it important to acknowledge the organizational structure of Blizzard, GGG, EHG or any other game dev prior to offering criticism. For example if the turn-off-chat function in last epoch isn't working properly on 1.0 launch, I will insult the devs for this reality and it actually won't matter to me what the internal debate at EHG looked like. We all have jobs, no one needs to be told 'well ACTUALLY the devs are innocent, what you want is evil product manager in charge of horse dicks'

Oh, for sure. I don't think anyone here is trying to absolve them of blame. But it is worth discussing the reason why these glaring issues exist, because "they're all a bunch of blithering idiots who don't understand basic cause and effect" is unlikely the case.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

is it worth starting the game now if i don't particularly care about playing online? like will existing characters get access to things like the item factions or w/e

It's probably fine, but we don't know what we don't know. Apparently there's going to be 60 pages of patch notes so expect some balance changes, and there's going to be graphical enhancements that may give you a different first impression. And of course if you want to play one of the new mastery subclasses (Warlock or Falconer), you'll have to pause your playthrough when that choice comes up.

Personally I'm waiting, but YMMV.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Steam concurrent numbers will be extremely high, but I’m guessing the actual online play count will be drastically lower. Most players will try to create an Online character and immediately get spat out as the servers convulse in agony. Then the player will switch to Offline and never switch back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Man I hope they fix the weird tooltip bugs soon

SHIFT-RIGHT CLICK TO SELLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

queeb posted:

My prediction, 10k peak players

Edit: I say this because I don't think a 1.0 for a game that's been out for years is a huge draw like something out of nowhere like helldivers

Impermanent posted:

I'm just gonna quote you now so it's preserved

Magitek fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 27, 2024