Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
is there a strong mechanic explainer on the tubes that doesn't speak/appeal to their audience as if they were preteens? the perfect information guy is pretty good, but doesn't seem to do everything and/or expects you to know what the mechanic does at a base level already.

I logged in since the first month of beta years ago to brush up on the game & after pushing up to level 95, I still hadn't found the glyph between ascendance & research, & would like to know what it does before launch lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

nerox posted:

Steam says I have 1700 hours in Path of Exile. I have no loving clue why I am killing everything in that game.

I have nearly 6k hours and my understanding of the lore is that we're "criminal" outcasts, but also somehow moral enough not to cast spells or abilities in towns, any character can ascend into godhood by simply possessing the correct items, and the whole universe is governed by some (wo)manchild freak who's really into "watching" you, and will occasionally play with you like a cat would a laser pointer. there's some guys in there that don't care about any of it but This One Thing (much like many of the players). I couldn't even remember all 4 of those guys so I had to google one of them (it was niko lmao). I know a whole lot more is going on but who gives a gently caress about any of it, I'm here to slay pixels and pick up other pixels that help me slay pixels even harder in a cycle befitting a snake eating its' own tail.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

is there really any reason to be making a new seasonal character if you intend to just play offline anyways? online for this game has been a crapshoot from my experience, and I'm far more interested in the ssf faction over the trading one (at least for the first season).

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Issakhar posted:

Haven't followed the 1.0 updates closely, would it be safe to start a character now and not have my progress reset on patch day?

I'm under the impression that if you don't intend to play online and in the trade faction, you can just start now if you like. the first two cycles' content gets shipped to both cycle and eternal realm. it's how I'm approaching the first cycle, because I have a feeling the servers are gonna poo poo the bed for a good bit at the start

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I second that it's a very good game. it still has some bugs, but it's a far cry from mess that some people might remember it to be from the first couple early access builds. it doesn't have poe endgame depth, but there's still plenty to chew on and plenty of builds to explore. you can make insanely powerful leveling gear to the point that your secondary characters could be entering the endgame as early as level 15. I wouldn't put too much stock into the endgame build guides, but I highly recommend looking at the loot filter guides.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Zereth posted:

Not even the long-standard by rarity. Amazing.

they now do this thing where they now mulch all the gear tiered lower than your highest tier drop possible into gold (which has just as little of use) but you're still forced to see every drop with the highest tier tag, regardless of how many (if any) mods are on the item. it's extremely bad and the issue is compiled with there being a maximum of 6 stash tabs, giving you roughly ~15 inventories of space before you're just out and have to figure out what to keep. but wait, there's more! all the stuff that you want to enchant on gear takes up that same inventory space! and if that wasn't bad enough, every time you cross paths with a player on screen, the game loads their entire stash space into your client so even if they wanted to change this, they can't!

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

What do you guys do with exalted items that are useless to you and you don't want to blow a Shatter Rune on it? Just sell it?

I'm still finding a lot of gear that technically is what I'm asking for according to my loot filter, but don't need at all.

just leave it on the ground if you don't intend on using it. if it looks like it has potential for your build but is just on a bad base, pick it up & craft with it to try to shove as many desired mods to sacrifice to a legendary piece. vendoring stuff is a waste of time, and if you finding stuff you don't actually like is often the case, it's time to revisit the loot filter and tune it up.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

queeb posted:

My prediction, 10k peak players

Edit: I say this because I don't think a 1.0 for a game that's been out for years is a huge draw like something out of nowhere like helldivers

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

100-150k is my guestimate, which they absolutely won't be prepared for given it's an indie game from a company on their first release. fortunately, I'll be playing offline, and circumventing all of the server making GBS threads the bed nonsense

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

did the patch drop overnight or something? we're getting close to the release, kinda worried about the downloading shitshow that will ensue if they just drop the patch right at 11

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Clarste posted:

They said they're didn't allow pre-downloading because then people would be able to play the "true offline" mode before release, since it wouldn't even check steam. Or something like that.

hopefully they learn their lesson in about 35 minutes and only do this the one time. I realize that offline players are going to be a more significant slice of the playerbase than many people think, but it doesn't effect anything for the online players outside maybe some real nerds getting a couple hours of practice on the new patch on a throwaway charcter. it's not like all the data isn't already charted and put on offsites

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

lol

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

y'all should just try cof offline, it's a very nice experience.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I'll be shocked if more than 20% of players end up at the bazaar after experiencing what cof has to offer. the later tiers are actually wild.

Barreft posted:

Elon's favorite game is Diablo 4 so it seemed inevitable.

nobody cares what that chud thinks

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

they just dropped a performance patch sometime in the last 30 minutes, it might be worth restarting your client for

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

server load is based on region, so if you're playing during a more "prime" time locally, you may want to swap to another region

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Mailer posted:

Well I got through to getting my mastery and a bit after that. Couldn't remember the respec penalties so didn't level up Rip Blood for like 17 levels and never picked a second spec. Sold a lot of stuff I probably should have kept. Guessed right on the 50/50 and then sold my Avarice. Just gonna call that one a learner character. :v:

Warlock is very cool, though! Is there a point where I should start burning crafting mats? Upgrades 1-19 weren't super frequent but they happened.

It's not really worth keeping in storage anything other than heavy resistance items early, which you'd want to tap into whenever you get a huge upgrade that fucks up your caps. If you intend to build swap after the campaign or w/e, it's probably best to start filtering for items for that build ~5 levels before you swap.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I'm having loving 5 minute long loading screens now.

Wow, that's cool.
If only there was some feature that would allow you to skip the campaign and do that instead.
If only the players have thought to ask for a feature like that.

You can get to monoliths as early as like level 14 on your second character. Technically you can do that on your first character too, if you could withstand the 40 or so level jump.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Something tells me they don't expect you to play every subclass.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

What're the respec's like in this game? I tend to focus on single characters in ARPGs, and I hate having to level multiple instances because I spent a skill-point sub-optimally or some poo poo.

It's basically free, you just can't change your subclass once chosen.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I only play ARPGs for the story.

:sickos:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

the begging in global chat is bad enough

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I'd fire elentor too, they're psychotic

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Have they yet tried forced dialogue? You can't skip them, you must listen to them.

almost nobody likes this tbh

the dialogue in this game was unskippable leading up to 1.0 and it was a pleasant surprise to find that you now can.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Wiltsghost posted:

I just made an offline character. What are the benefits of online, besides playing with others which I probably won't do.

Nothing. You made the right decision.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

the cof benefits are actually pretty wild, but the amount of favor required to get to the upper levels make it deserving of it. I made it to level 5 before logging off for the day, and the favor required to get to level 6 is more than twice as much as all the previous levels combined. that's been the trend for each level, and if it continues, I don't see very many people even getting to level 8. from my testing, it doesn't appear that higher corruption rewards more favor, but the level does. I'm predicting it'll take about 75 or so maps to go from 5 to 6, which only will take ~2.5 hours on a speed farming build,

hopefully the bazaar is like 1/4th is grindy as cof, because frankly, I can't see how bazaar could possibly compete with cof tier for tier.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

frajaq posted:

so loving stupid, why did I spend money on this garbage lol

Just like, go outside or play any other game you own for a couple days?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

bamhand posted:

Could even channel Blizzard and charge an extra 20 dollars for the privilege of play testing a week early.

1) that's really cringe

2) the game has been playable for years

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

rafikki posted:

I just finished the campaign and am randomly doing monoliths. I've gotten a few keys as well, should I be using those?

you could probably use the soulfire and arena keys at your discretion, but the temporal sanctum keys are best saved for later since the reward for completing those is making legendary gear out of legendary potential pieces and exalted items, and the other key (can't remember the name) is just a huge gold sink and kinda sucks

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

explosivo posted:

Can I permanently disable global chat?

click the gear in the upper right of the chat box

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

I’ve seen a lot of discussion about how much people hate redoing the campaign in ARPGs every season, maybe it was driven by the Shroud clip where he talks about how that keeps him from getting into PoE more often, and I both get it, but also don’t.

I get that running the same campaign over and over is boring, but what are the better alternatives? In D3 you could run the same 2-3 zones to maintain a big kill streak, or wait until someone who leveled in a group in rifts power levels you. D4 lets you skip the campaign and the optimal strategy is to run half a dungeon on repeat for hours. Neither option is compelling. It seems like no one wants to admit it, but what they really want is a WoW level skip that will let you start the season at level 60, with everything unlocked, so you can dive right into the endgame without any sort of journey up to that point.

that's exactly what people want - they want everything handed to them right out the gate, and they don't want to be challenged to obtain it. this game offers multiple ways to skip most, if not all the campaign. the people whining about campaign skipping haven't even done the campaign the first time yet to find them.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

the campaign skips in this game exists in several ways though

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

I tried leveling via the dungeon route a few patches ago and it didn't seem much faster than doing the campaign normally? You still have to do a bunch of campaign to reach the skip points and then of course the dungeons themselves take time. Cool that its there but I don't think it really does anything to help people who hate leveling.

you can have a friend invite you to an empowered monolith at level one and you'll be level 50 in like 5 minutes.

without assistance, you can drop the campaign the moment you enter the end of time, assuming you're skilled/geared enough.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Sab669 posted:

What's the 'Rank 2' refer to? :thunk:

that's the faction requirement to equip that gear.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

rafikki posted:

i wish I could have offline mode running at the same time as online mode

I imagine that you can make this happen through instancing your steam account. I don't know why you'd do this, but it most likely works.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

rafikki posted:

So I work on my offline character while waiting on loading screens :D yes, i know it's dumb

this is some real sicko poo poo but xzibit would be proud of you

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Saxophone posted:

In other news I’ve been #5 in the login queue for 5 minutes now…

they've said on the discord (2nd hand information) that they're updating infrastructure and that there's going to be a ~30 minute interruption of *some* services, so that might be what you're experiencing.

as far as who you're engaging with in this post, they've already admitted they had the game uninstalled for years now over a hilariously bad reason. of course they're not worth engaging with

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

What's this games quivalent of PoE's /skills or whatever it is to check you've done enough sidequests to get the skill points?

Also I seem to be short on idol slots, is there a list somewhere of quests that give idols slots?

open the map and look to the bottom left

E: clicking on the sidequests with the map open will tell you their rewards. there's an overabundance of both types of quests so just pick the ones you want to do.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

just sitting at "Connecting" in the character screen

somebody load more coal into the servers

I made the mistake of making lunch and playing with my dogs and now I'm stuck here too.

guess I'll go back to playing with my dogs or like anything else while it gets resolved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Jesus, game really blew up this weekend. 234,016 players online right now. :prepop:

this is a sidebar, but do you have any high monolith characters you hadn't checked out since launch? like, ones where you were trying to push rarity? when they changed how the monolith scales, they left people in that position a funny present for a few maps